HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Heatly indicted

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2004, 02:01 PM
True Blue

vCash: 500
Heatly indicted

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1841192

Old
07-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Fletch

And Danton pleads guilty...

interesting week...

Old
07-16-2004, 03:21 PM
little a from da bx

who cares thats old news , well new but he was cleared he aint doing no time thank god good kid bad mistake, let him go on and become the next yzerman....

more interesting that danton admiited to being guilty and can face 7-10 years locked up... good luck to him..

Old
07-16-2004, 04:50 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by little a from da bx
who cares thats old news , well new but he was cleared he aint doing no time thank god good kid bad mistake, let him go on and become the next yzerman....
Don't necessarily know if I agree with that. Good kid, bad mistake indeed. But he's got to pay the piper like anyone else. Just becuase he is a hockey player, does not mean that he should be judged by a different standard.

Old
07-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Synergy27

[QUOTE=little a from da bx]who cares thats old news , well new but he was cleared he aint doing no time thank god good kid bad mistake, let him go on and become the next yzerman....

more interesting that danton admiited to being guilty and can face 7-10 years locked up... good luck to him..[/QUOTE

I'm not trying to sound condescending or anything, honestly, but could you possibly use a little punctuation in your posts? Theyre seriously difficult to read. Thanks.

Old
07-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Edge

Without opening up old wounds on Heatly, the bottom line is that if he wasn't famous people would have no problem with his being the price for a decision he made. Though it was mistake and unintentional, it still happened.

Old
07-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

While I think Heatley serving time would serve no purpose.... when you deal with the result of what he and thousands do every day, it's hard to feel pity for him.

Still I really don't want to see him do time.

Old
07-16-2004, 10:33 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Blue
While I think Heatley serving time would serve no purpose.... when you deal with the result of what he and thousands do every day, it's hard to feel pity for him.

Still I really don't want to see him do time.
how would it serve no purpose? it may send a message to a young driver not to be so careless with there own life and the lives of the passangers in the car. if i did what heatley did i would be in jail right now. i hope he gets the max.

Old
07-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

You have a point and you are right. You and I would be behind bars in a flash. I'm torn on this one, perhaps because Dan's family has forgiven Heatley. All I know is somehow kids need to realize they are not Superman OR Mario Andretti.

Old
07-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Danny Clark

Well, the law is indeed the law, this is a long time in coming IMHO.

Does anybody have an explanation as to why it has taken a year to get this indictment down?

Old
07-17-2004, 10:52 AM
little a from da bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Don't necessarily know if I agree with that. Good kid, bad mistake indeed. But he's got to pay the piper like anyone else. Just becuase he is a hockey player, does not mean that he should be judged by a different standard.
but im not saying because he is a hockey star let himn get away, give him if anything community service . it was anaccident he wasnt drunk just a couple kids in the wrong pl,lace at the worng time doing the wrong thing, thats all. it was an accident, thats it. there should be no severe punishment. wheather it is him or anyone else, an accident is an accident.

Old
07-17-2004, 10:54 AM
little a from da bx

[QUOTE=synergy27]
Quote:

more interesting that danton admiited to being guilty and can face 7-10 years locked up... good luck to him..[/QUOTE

I'm not trying to sound condescending or anything, honestly, but could you possibly use a little punctuation in your posts? Theyre seriously difficult to read. Thanks.
well how about just staying quite, its legible. give me a break

Old
07-17-2004, 12:00 PM
True Blue

Quote:
just a couple kids in the wrong pl,lace at the worng time doing the wrong thing, thats all. it was an accident, thats it. there should be no severe punishment. wheather it is him or anyone else, an accident is an accident.
I hardly think that driving 90 mph around curves qualifies as "just a couple kids in the wrong pl,lace at the wrong time". Heatly knew fully well what he was doing. What if it had been someone related to you that was in the car with him at that time? I doubt that you would be saying "there should be no severe punishment. wheather it is him or anyone else, an accident is an accident"
An accident would have been if he had been driving normal speed and skidded on a patch of ice or rough road or got hit by a person driving recklessly. This may have been an accident, but it could have been easily prevented. I'm sure that Craig McTavish did not mean to kill that person when he was driving either. The crime was done. What Heatly did, while an accident, is still a crime. And last I checked, there are laws against what he did.
Accident or not, what he did was wrong and is punishable by law. He should not be exempt from the law.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:02 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Plenty of defendants who are not famous don't serve time.

New York Daily News - Breaking News - Tearful L.I. teen jailed for firebombing immigrants' home
Address:http://www.nydailynews.com/front/bre...p-182436c.html

Lutz and Brandefino stood by while the house burned down
in a hate crime: COMMUNITY SERVICE AND PROBATION. Odds are they just ratted out their cohorts. And they are NOT rich or famous.

I've never set fire to someone's house. Doubt if anyone here has either. It's a crime worthy of jail time for all participants.

When I was younger I drove 100 mph at times. I'm just lucky I never killed anybody. I'm not about to judge Heatley.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:02 PM
broadwayblue

i'm not sure how anyone can be surprised that he got indicted. i mean he was driving over 80mph in a 30mph zone and his stupidity KILLED someone. drinking or not, he is negligent. he deserves to do some time.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:09 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
When I was younger I drove 100 mph at times. I'm just lucky I never killed anybody. I'm not about to judge Heatley.
Likewise, as far as speeding. And I am not judging him. I am simply stating that when you break the law, you take a chance on paying the ultimate price (whatever that may be). Accidental or not, Heatly knew fully well what he was doing.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:16 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Likewise, as far as speeding. And I am not judging him. I am simply stating that when you break the law, you take a chance on paying the ultimate price (whatever that may be). Accidental or not, Heatly knew fully well what he was doing.
I don't disagree but unless I'm mistaken didn't Snyder's parents forgive him?

I'm just saying that if he's only sentenced to community service and probation, it's not necessarily because he's famous.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:20 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
I don't disagree but unless I'm mistaken didn't Snyder's parents forgive him?

I'm just saying that if he's only sentenced to community service and probation, it's not necessarily because he's famous.
Yes,they did. If one trusts the law and sytem, whever he is sentenced (be it jail or community service) to, then that is what he deserves.

Old
07-17-2004, 01:15 PM
Burberry Manning

What Heatley did was illegal and wrong but does his moment's decision to drive at extreme speeds deserve a lifetime of pain and punishment? Hasn't one man sufferred enough because of this? Why ruin another? He already will have the lifetime of pain to live with, I just don't believe it will serve anybody to punish him further. Clearly Dany Heatley is a good person with no malice in his heart towards anyone. He is a solid person who happened to make a decision that all of us have done at sometime or another, unfortunately Dany reaped the unlikely consequences that many of us escape.

I think we all know that if Dan Snyder were able to judge his friend's fate then Heatley would be walking free. What if it was Dan Snyder in the driver's seat rather than Heatley? It could just as easily have been that situation since you know that neither individuals were protesting the speed. The roles could just as easily have been reversed, all that seperated the two was that Heatley was the one with his foot physically pushing the pedal. IMO,the Snyder family's blessings should be all that is needed to exonerate this young man since they and him alone are the only ones who truly feel the personal effects. I believe that many of us would do the same if our loved one was taken in a similar situation.

Old
07-17-2004, 04:24 PM
little a from da bx

Quote:
I hardly think that driving 90 mph around curves qualifies as "just a couple kids in the wrong pl,lace at the wrong time". Heatly knew fully well what he was doing. What if it had been someone related to you that was in the car with him at that time? I doubt that you would be saying "there should be no severe punishment. wheather it is him or anyone else, an accident is an accident"
An accident would have been if he had been driving normal speed and skidded on a patch of ice or rough road or got hit by a person driving recklessly. This may have been an accident, but it could have been easily prevented. I'm sure that Craig McTavish did not mean to kill that person when he was driving either. The crime was done. What Heatly did, while an accident, is still a crime. And last I checked, there are laws against what he did.
Accident or not, what he did was wrong and is punishable by law. He should not be exempt from the law.
first of all if you are going to quote me quote me right, i said wrong place , wrong time," DOING THE WRONG THING"<~~~~~ YOU FOGOT TO ADD THAT IN , NOT TO BE NASTY BUT IF U QOUOTE QUOTE THE WHOLE THIING NOT JUST THE PART U WANT TO READ, U ARE LIKE MY GIRL SHE JUST HEARS WHAT SHE WANTS.

Old
07-17-2004, 04:43 PM
broadwayblue

bleeding blue, how do you know that neither individual was protesting the speed? were you in the car? and the point is even if Snyder wanted Heatley to drive faster it's still the responsibility of the driver to obey the law.

Old
07-17-2004, 06:15 PM
Edge

The question is not whether Heatly is sorry or not or whether Snyder's family forgives him or not.

We have to learn that when you kill someone by making a poor decision {as unfortunate and unintentional as it may be} you still have to be responsible for that.

I'm not saying Heatly needs to be sent to jail for life, but he does need to be held responsible by whatever means is decided.

Old
07-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
What is the object here: to punish one guy, or to do improve the community? The idea of the criminal justice system is not to mete out revenge or punishment, but to keep society safe and well by holding citizens accountable to the law. Each case needs to be taken on an individual basis.

In this one, I think that it makes a lot of sense to indict Heatley, but little sense to jail him. What good would that do? Making an example out of him will make a few people feel good and wag their fingers, but it won't deter kids from driving like idiots. Put him to use in the community: he could go around to schools and talk to kids about what it feels like to be responsible for your friend's death. He might actually get through to someone that way. Heatley should be doing work for the people of Georgia for a good long time.

Old
07-17-2004, 07:46 PM
Edge

Quote:
What is the object here: to punish one guy, or to do improve the community? The idea of the criminal justice system is not to mete out revenge or punishment, but to keep society safe and well by holding citizens accountable to the law. Each case needs to be taken on an individual basis.
The object here is to stop making it "okay so long as your sorry afterwards" when you get behind the wheel of a car drunk. But we've become so dang liberal in our handing out of justice that we hide behind the "what will it solve" mentality.

I don't think Heatly should be treated any different that anyone else, but the bottom line is that he broke the law and took a life.

Quote:
In this one, I think that it makes a lot of sense to indict Heatley, but little sense to jail him. What good would that do? Making an example out of him will make a few people feel good and wag their fingers, but it won't deter kids from driving like idiots. Put him to use in the community: he could go around to schools and talk to kids about what it feels like to be responsible for your friend's death. He might actually get through to someone that way. Heatley should be doing work for the people of Georgia for a good long time.
Where is the line drawn then? Putting people in jail for ANY crime theoretically solves nothing, so why do we do it then? Because people need to know they aren't superman. We're not talking about a tire blowing out and a real accident. We are talking about the results of someone's decisions. He chose to drink, he chose to drive and on top of it he chose to speed.

If life we as simple as merely having people go around and "talk" about what people shouldn't do, i think we'd have a lot better world don't you? I am sure somewhere in Heatly's life he had someone "Talk" to him about drinking and driving. I'm sure his parents sat him and down and talked and I am sure at some point someone visited his school and he saw the usual school films like "Blood on the Asphalt" and other driving videos.

The bottom line is that people want to find ANY excuse not to be punished for their actions. "Well i sped so that makes it okay". No it really doesn't, it just make you lucky. In the end it doesn't matter whether you talk to someone or jail them, people are going to do WHATEVER THE HELL THEY WANT. That's just the nature of humanity. BUT, people should be held accountable for their decisions. Does it bring people back? No. Does it change the accident? No. But it is the consequence of an action. If we throw that out the window, than we've opened a pandor's box for anything and I do mean ANYTHING.

I'm sorry but people know the consequences before they take an action, so why are they ALWAYS sorry afterwards? I think Heatly as a whole is a good person, but he also knew that if he took a certain action there was going to be a consequence both to him and his passenger. It's a little late now to start changing the rules because it's actually happened.

Odds are likely he doesn't get jail time, but if he does than that's the way it is. Yes I'm sure he's haunted by the accident and truly sorry, but in the end he's still alive to feel those emotions. The rest of his life could be used towards good, but we all know there is a price to pay. We all do varying degrees of "illegal" things in our lives, and we all assume the risk for taking those actions. But if we get caught, we can't suddenly be upset that we are actually getting in trouble for them. I think the biggest issue is that the average person doesn't think anything can happen to them and when it does we suddenly have a hard time dealing with it.

If Heatly gets community service i am fine with that. If he goes to jail, i am fine with that. But when you commit a crime that's the gamble you take. Your destiny is now out of your hands. The key is to try to avoid getting to that point when you actually are in control of your own destiny.

Last edited by Edge: 07-17-2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old
07-17-2004, 09:16 PM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

I orginally posted in this thread that I thought he should get off but you know what? Spend a night in ER sometime, lots of 'kids' are sorry as you sew them up. Unfortunately the one they are sorry for is in the morgue. Whatever Heatley gets will be deserved.

Closed Thread