HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kaberle

Old
06-29-2011, 05:09 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Kaberle

on the NHL website Dave Lozo predicts the likely destinations for FAs suggesting that Kaberle will end up on Broadway.

How do we feel about that?

I know he wasn't up to it in the final and looked very timid, but gotten better as the Bruins were more succesful. Julien played him relatively sparingly.

Still his numbers are solid, since speed and skating are not really his strongsuits I believe at 33 is just entering his prime.

So is he the next Redden or could we imagine him being the PP anchor we so badly
need and the problem McCabe was unable to solve?

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:30 AM
MorrisWanchuk

please no. please please please no.

why would we do this to ourselves?

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:34 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Even if it is for the amount we are going to save on the Drury Buyout, no thanks.

I saw a player that went to a Bruins team and not do jack didley.

I want no part of Kaberle.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:38 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad London Ranger View Post
on the NHL website Dave Lozo predicts the likely destinations for FAs suggesting that Kaberle will end up on Broadway.

I know he wasn't up to it in the final and looked very timid, but gotten better as the Bruins were more succesful. Julien played him relatively sparingly.

Still his numbers are solid, since speed and skating are not really his strongsuits I believe at 33 is just entering his prime.

So is he the next Redden or could we imagine him being the PP anchor we so badly
Bolded part - Really? REALLY? really?

He is a declining player before the PO's started, he showed pretty much nothing during the PO's to make anyone think otherwise.

If anything, at 33 years old, he seems to be a player that is actually beginning his decline and a decline that is going to be rapid in that speed and skating are not his strong suits as you pointed out. At least with speed he can somewhat make up for positional breakdowns, without that (and he has never had that) he's done.

Want no part of him.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:40 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

Pass he would be the next Wade Redden.

He wound up being a #6 guy on the Bruins during the PO's.

The Bruins PP actually got worse from the deadline to the end of the season.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 05:53 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Understand your reticence but still the guy is producing and IMO much better player than McCabe, Morris, Redden etc

4 g and 47 assists 2010/2011
7 g and 42 A 2009/2010
8 g and 45 A 2007 for example

so you can't say the guy is over the hill.

Certainly he doesn't have playoff experience and maybe he is not the Finals type go-to guy, but we need to ge into the playoffs first. Compared to Streit who I though we should have gotten instead of Redden when they were available, Kaberle will be a bargain.

Our PP stinks, getting Richards may be great, but we do need more than just 1 player to upgrade our situation.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:08 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Understand your reticence but still the guy is producing and IMO much better player than McCabe, Morris, Redden etc

4 g and 47 assists 2010/2011
7 g and 42 A 2009/2010
8 g and 45 A 2007 for example

so you can't say the guy is over the hill.

Certainly he doesn't have playoff experience and maybe he is not the Finals type go-to guy, but we need to ge into the playoffs first. Compared to Streit who I though we should have gotten instead of Redden when they were available, Kaberle will be a bargain.

Our PP stinks, getting Richards may be great, but we do need more than just 1 player to upgrade our situation.

The guy was brought into Boston to help their PP...from the trade deadline to the end of the regular season the Bruins PP actually declined from prior to the Kaberle acquisition. Is he better than the players you listed above probably, but that's like saying he's the cream of the crap...and at least Morris is willing to shoot the puck.

Old
06-29-2011, 06:12 AM
eco's bones

I might have been for signing Kaberle before he went to Boston. I'm not now. I'm also thinking he's not going to score the big pay day or anything really long term. If I were to value him right now--and not necessarily to the Rangers--to any NHL team--2 years-$7 mil tops (3.5 mil per)--no ntc, nmc. From the Rangers standpoint best to stay away. Not a big game player and getting old.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:30 AM
jniklast

Pass. I don't think we will have the cap space should we sign Richards, but more importantly I don't think we have the roster space. I'd rather give MDZ another try and I also expect Erixon to make the team. An entirely homegrown defensive corps with no player having played an NHL game with another team. That would be impressive

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:39 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Rather stick two rookies on the third pair.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:52 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I want no part of Kaberle, but I just want to ask a question:

When was the last time an offensive defenseman was traded at the deadline and actually worked out for his new team? It may have been recently, but I can't think of one. Maybe there's a reason for that.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:52 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Lozo couldn't be dumber. In another article he said we shouldn't sign Richards so we could wait and sign Semin :\

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 06:53 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers will add a veteran defenseman but it won't be an expensive defenseman.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:03 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I want no part of Kaberle, but I just want to ask a question:

When was the last time an offensive defenseman was traded at the deadline and actually worked out for his new team? It may have been recently, but I can't think of one. Maybe there's a reason for that.
Can't think of any recent examples either

Not recently but Leetch to TML

2-13-15 in 15 regular season games
0-8-8 in 13 PO games.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:13 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Leetch is about a good example as you'll probably find and you're talking about one of the top 20 offensive defensemen in league history. I just think that part of any good offensive defensemans game is reliant on intimate knowledge of his teams and teammates tendencies on the ice. It's hard to build that knowledge when your fighting for playoff position and trying to advance in the playoffs.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:22 AM
MSG the place to be*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Can't think of any recent examples either

Not recently but Leetch to TML

2-13-15 in 15 regular season games
0-8-8 in 13 PO games.
Wisniewski. This year.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:26 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Wisniewski wasn't a deadline acquisition. He played almost a quarter of the season with the Habs before the stretch drive.

Old
06-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Gatorade*

Kaberle would kind of block Del Zotto, no?

I am not sure how a PP guy who refuses to shoot would go over at MSG.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:42 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
So is he the next Redden
Spot on.

06-29-2011, 07:45 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Kaberle would kind of block Del Zotto, no?

I am not sure how a PP guy who refuses to shoot would go over at MSG.
Actually, I think we know exactly how that would go over. Rozy didn't like to shoot either and every time he touched the puck, people were yelling for him to shoot it.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:46 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
I believe at 33 is just entering his prime.
No player in any sport is entering his prime at age 33.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

vCash: 1187
Nooooooooooooo! I would rather have one of our own take a roster spot. We have to many D as it is!

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

If we can some how get him with a 2 year 4 million contract im fit. But thats not happening so HELL NO!!

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:07 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
If we can some how get him with a 2 year 4 million contract im fit. But thats not happening so HELL NO!!
Basically. If it's a 3rd pair declining vet type deal that's easily buried in the minors if it turns out that he is in fact the Redden in the making that he appears to be, I have no problem with it. Otherwise...

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Ola

Quote:

O'boy, this is a tough one for me to tell you the truth.

First of all, its diffrent worlds for a D playing on a goodteam compared to playing on a bad team. I do not know how many examples there are of D's who have played on bad teams, been traded to good teams, and all of a sudden been hyped tremendously. Its no coincidence that D's like Letang, Green and co plays for good teams, no way they develop like they did if they played for like Florida.

And Kaberle has been on a worthless team forever. Still, he has played really well like his stats indicate. And not just for Toronto, in Olympics etc he has been outstanding for the Czech Rep. I have many many many times repeatedly over the last 4-5 years seen him play excellent hockey.

The only ones who are now saying that he never been good and say that he has a bunch of flaws etc. are kids who do not know what they are talking about. He has without any doubt been a really good player for Toronto and the Czech Rep. for a long time.

At the same time, he undoubtedly struggled in Boston. Players decline. The fact that most D's like Kaberle -- with exceptions of course -- hit their prime, like you indicate, after they have turned like 33 y/o is no guarntee. At the same time again, we must also remember that it is not easy for a D like Kaberle to change teams. It sounds like a weak arse explanation, but I honestly believe that you cannot underrated that aspect. Ask any Swede how many tournaments Niklas Lidström been a huge dissapointment for Sweden. These guys needs to know how the forwards infront of them play and the forward infront of them needs to know how the D in question play. Lidström knows how to feed his centers in Detroit, and the centers in Detroit knows how Lidström will feed them. Put Sundin with Lidström and they have to start from scratch. It doesn't happend in a matter of weeks.

Yes, Kaberle would be blocking MDZ to some extent. We would have Staal, McD, Kaberle, MDZ and Erixon on the left side. I mean, thats a disaster.

I do not know anymore. I think Toronto has had a diamond in the rough in Kaberle for like a decade. I think he has been one of the best contracts in the league to tell the truth. Then he hits a really rough stretch in Boston. He makes a ton of sense for us in terms of style, we need offense from the blueline. He is great in the post lockout game. He fits in terribly since he is a left D.

I doubt we will get him...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote