HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jagr interested to play in Montreal pt2

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

vCash: 500
Bottom line:

Would the Habs be a better team with Jagr in the lineup?

check Yes

or

check No

Myself?

I would have to check 'Yes'

Old
06-11-2011, 07:13 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nilan View Post
I'm a Habs fan.

Being a Jagr fan has everything to do with your obvious bias however. Your lack of knowledge of basic physiological and training concepts contributes to what your posting. Your claims are ridiculous, your links laughable and your knowledge inexistant. You can choose to continue believing this, or you can choose to further your understanding of how reality works. This is up to you.

If you truly believe a human being can heavy squat 1000 reps every day while being an elite level athlete, then you're beyond help. This can actually be proven mathematically impossible simply by calculating the sheer amount of calorie consumption this would imply (hint: it would be in the tens of thousands).
You need not talk to people in this tone. Get a grip, his point was Jagr is ripped and in good shape, you fighting over something so meaningless and off topic is annoying me to no end, ****.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:19 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I agree a 6'3'' Jagr with body fat below 9% scoring 25 goals and 35 assists on Plekanec's line is exactly what this team needs.

Our third line would be Kostitsyn-Eller-Pouliot !!! (assuming a healthy team, so that 3rd line probably won't ever happen).

The fact he has not signed implies to me that either he wants more than 3 million, or that Gauthier is not willing to take him on for 3 million.
He doesn't want more and Gauthier would be a fool not to sign him for 3 million.

3 million is actually more than what Jagr is supposedly asking for from an NHL team, he wants about 2 million.

Jagr will get more than 35 assists playing with Plekanec and Cammalleri and that you can take to the bank.

Jagr's career low in assists is 30 in his rookie season.

Jagr for most of his career was at 40 + assists. I think at worst, playing with at least Plekanec on his line (forgetting mentioning who the left wing would be and with Cammalleri it becomes even better) Jagr could get 70 Pts.

Jagr himself said it, he felt tired both emotionally and physically in 2007-08, he never had a full time center (his center Nylander was let go after 2006-07, Drury and Gomez never panned out with him) and with all that Jagr still had 71 Pts.

Jagr hasn't had to exert himself as much in games in the last 3 years in the KHL and his body is more fresh now. He would have a potential center with whom he will have tremendous chemistry in Plekanec, and he's in better shape.

If and oft-injured Selanne who has never ever been more skilled than Jagr scored 80 Pts in 73 games at age 40, I think Jagr who is more fresh, healthier and in better shape can outperform Selanne if in the right place, I truly feel that Montreal is the right place.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:43 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Take the fitness talk to the, you know, fitness thread.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
06-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Second of all, Jagr at age 39 is better than Pouliot, Moen and Kostitsyn combined.

Talent doesn't just disapear overnight. Guys like Selanne, Lidstrom, Chelios, Recchi, Roloson continued to be elite even in their late 30's early 40's. Jagr from all claims is some of the best shape of his career. He's trimmed down to 225 lbs which will make him faster and quicker and he's down to 3% body fat. This means he was committed to train hard to still be the best, he didn't get into this kind of shape for the KHL, he mostly likely did it with a return to the NHL eventually in mind.
You obviously haven't read the rest of the blog, as you would have seen why he's not a good fit in Montreal... not for one second.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:05 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
You obviously haven't read the rest of the blog, as you would have seen why he's not a good fit in Montreal... not for one second.
Why would he need to read the rest of your blog? You added no further insight. You have no idea how Jagr would fit into this club. I think he would fit just fine, you disagree, it's called an opinion. Everyone's is different, but I believe Jagr would fit like a glove.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:24 PM
le_sean

lol Jagr as a bad fit. Good one. A team in desperate need of offence gets one of the best offensive players to ever play the game. Yeah, terrible fit.

Butt heads with the coach? He seemed to get along fine with Scotty Bowman who is 10x more strict than Jacques. Slow? Well Kovalev was just as slow and played fine here. Old? Well that means he probably has the desire to have another impact before retiring. Chemistry? Seems to play fine with Plekanec.

I have no idea why one would think he's a bad fit. An offensive player, with tremendous size and strength, willing to sign a one year deal. I'm not saying he wants to come here or the Habs have interest, no one knows for sure. But a bad fit? I don't think so.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:37 PM
DAChampion

Quote:
He doesn't want more and Gauthier would be a fool not to sign him for 3 million.

3 million is actually more than what Jagr is supposedly asking for from an NHL team, he wants about 2 million.
If it's that simple why hasn't he signed yet?

Old
06-12-2011, 08:20 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
If it's that simple why hasn't he signed yet?
That's where Jagr's European agent comes into play. From all indication, his European agent is not big fan of Jagr returning to the NHL. There are some rumors that Jagr and his agent are butting heads.

In fact last season when the Penguins invited him to the alumni night when closing the Mellon/ Igloo, most thought Jagr just refused. We later learned that his Europea agent didn't even tell him of the invitation and since he was playing in the KHL, he wasn't aware of this.

It's Jagr's North American agent that's going to get the deal done (same agent as Crosby) if this is going to take place. In the end it's Jagr's call and you can bet we will learn if Jagr's coming back to the NHL in the next 3 weeks.

Old
06-12-2011, 08:32 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
lol Jagr as a bad fit. Good one. A team in desperate need of offence gets one of the best offensive players to ever play the game. Yeah, terrible fit.

Butt heads with the coach? He seemed to get along fine with Scotty Bowman who is 10x more strict than Jacques. Slow? Well Kovalev was just as slow and played fine here. Old? Well that means he probably has the desire to have another impact before retiring. Chemistry? Seems to play fine with Plekanec.

I have no idea why one would think he's a bad fit. An offensive player, with tremendous size and strength, willing to sign a one year deal. I'm not saying he wants to come here or the Habs have interest, no one knows for sure. But a bad fit? I don't think so.
Maybe we can get Pavel Bure and Sundin to make a comeback also

Old
06-12-2011, 08:34 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post

Jagr being slow has always been something that people said of Jagr, even when he was 25.

Jagr has huge, powerful legs and is capable of turning on the jets when he wants. The fact that he's 225 lbs rather than 245 lbs (which was his weight the last time he played an NHL game) means he will be faster and quicker. Jagr sometimes just likes to play a puck possession game and won't have those rushes like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk to conserve his energy for the clutch time.

Go watch Gretzky's last game of his career, it was against the Penguins. Jagr was already guaranteed the Art Ross with 126 Pts, the game was tied going into overtime and the play by play guys were saying how Jagr was quiet in the game. Out of nowhere Jagr takes the puck, goes down with speed and scores the overtime winner.

Jagr still has all the other tools that can him make dominate the game without or without speed; size, strength, stickhandling/ puckhandling, passing, shooting and vision that will make him a dominant force until the day he decides to hang up the skates.

The Sedins aren't particularly slow and we know that they have won the last 2 Art Ross trophies. Jagr at age 39 is better than both players.

Some people talk about Jagr as if he was 50 years old, walks with crutches and weighs 300 lbs with a massively protruding belly. This is clearly not the case.

As for age, Jagr is 39 yes, but Selanne was 40 this past season when he scored 80 Pts in 73 games. Selanne was injured for the 3 straight seasons before 2010-11 and had 3 straight abysmal seasons with below PPG.

Jagr is a year younger, much more healthy (no serious knee injuries), much more fresh due to not having had to put his body through the grind of an 82 game season and then playoffs for the last 3 years and has been training hard. Talent is not lost overnight, sure as you get older you slowly start to decline but Jagr's decline might take much longer than your average 39-40 year old because of the fact that he hasn't had the same wear and tear as other players his age.

BTW Jagr is not your average 40 year old, future Hall of Famer. This is a generational talent we're talking about, a player that at his best was head and shoulders above everyone else. A player that not that long ago (2005-06 and 2006-07) had 123 Pts and 96 Pts.

That was 4 years ago. Since then as I already mentioned has not had the same wear and tear as everyone else. So quite possibly we have to judge his level and body as a 36 year old, not 39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Maybe we can get Pavel Bure and Sundin to make a comeback also
Yes because Jagr blew out his knee like Bure and he was on the same level as Sundin.

Jagr during his prime made Bure and Sundin look like second rate hockey players when they were in their primes as well as they all had coinciding primes.

TSN.ca used to say that "there is Jagr and then there is everyone else".

You need to realize that this isn't just another Kovalev, Sundin, Bure or even Forsberg. No knock on those guys as they were formidable talents but Jagr is talked about in the same breath as Beliveau, Lafleur and Richard.

Top 15 player all-time. He deserves the benefit of the doubt. If he wants to come back and clearly money is not the motivation, then quite possibly Jagr feels he has some unfinished business, something left to prove, maybe moving up the scoring ranks further more, maybe winning one last Cup, maybe even winning some hardware before retiring are his motivations for coming back?

Old
06-12-2011, 08:41 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Jagr being slow has always been something that people said of Jagr, even when he was 25.

Jagr has huge, powerful legs and is capable of turning on the jets when he wants. The fact that he's 225 lbs rather than 245 lbs (which was his weight the last time he played an NHL game) means he will be faster and quicker. Jagr sometimes just likes to play a puck possession game and won't have those rushes like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk to conserve his energy for the clutch time.

Go watch Gretzky's last game of his career, it was against the Penguins. Jagr was already guaranteed the Art Ross with 126 Pts, the game was tied going into overtime and the play by play guys were saying how Jagr was quite in the game. The out of nowhere Jagr takes the puck, goes down with speed and scores the overtime winner.

Jagr still has all the other tools that make dominate the game, size, strength, stickhandling/ puckhandling, passing, shooting and vision that will make him a dominant force until the day he decides to hang up the skates.

As for age, Jagr is 39 yes, but Selanne was 40 this past season when he scored 80 Pts in 73 games. Selanne was injured for the 3 straight seasons before 2010-11 and had 3 straight abysmal seasons with below PPG.

Jagr is a year younger, much more healthy (no serious knee injuries), much more fresh due to not having had to put his body through the grind of an 82 game season and then playoffs for the last 3 years and has been training hard. Talent is not lost overnight, sure as you get older you slowly start to decline but Jagr's decline might take much longer than your average 39-40 year old because of the fact that he hasn't had the same wear and tear as other players his age.

BTW Jagr is not your average 40 year old, future Hall of Famer. This is a generational talent we're talking about, a player that at his best was head and shoulders above everyone else. A player that not that long ago (2005-06 and 2006-07) had 123 Pts and 96 Pts.

That was 4 years ago. Since then as I already mentioned has not had the same wear and tear as everyone else. So quite possibly we have to judge his level and body as a 36 year old, not 39.
He's 40 and hasn't played an NHL schedule of appx.100 games(incl playoffs) in 5 +yrs.Though most posters here obviously have never seen us play a 100+ game season

Old
06-12-2011, 08:54 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

I'd love it if we could get him but I dont think it'll happen, unless PG makes it very clear that he's a support player and not taking a leadership role

Old
06-12-2011, 08:58 AM
strutsboa

Quote:
He's 40 and hasn't played an NHL schedule of appx.100 games(incl playoffs) in 5 +yrs.Though most posters here obviously have never seen us play a 100+ game season
So you're saying that most of us didn't watch Montreal last season?

Old
06-12-2011, 08:58 AM
livewell68

Quote:
He's 39 ( turned it in February) not 40.

2007-08 was 5 years ago?

Lemieux sat for 3 years, didn't even play a game of hockey, wasn't in great shape and then announced his come back, took a month to get back into shape before he scored 76 Pts in 43 games at age 36.

Jagr is no Lemieux but he is the closest player ever to Lemieux, similar blend of size, strength and skill.

Jagr has still played in the second best league in the world for the last 3 years, has stayed in shape and has trained very hard, still posses the skills as displayed at the World Championship.

You really are selling him short. After a stint with the Capitals, most people thought Jagr was done. Then the lockout gave Jagr the chance to play in Europe (in inferior leagues like the Czech Elite league and the RSL/ KHL), he came back as strong as ever and won the Pearson and was runner up for every other major award, Hart, Art Ross and Rocket.

Jagr knows his body better than I, you or anyone else. Do you honestly think Jagr would want to come back if he felt he can no longer hang with the big boys in the NHL? Lemieux came back in 2000-01 because he felt he could still compete, which he did an elite level and then when injuries and age caught up to him after the lockout, he retired.

Jagr is no different. He has earned his right to attempt a comeback to the NHL and I think we all should at least give him the chance to show what he has left.

Last edited by livewell68: 06-12-2011 at 09:15 AM.
Old
06-12-2011, 09:02 AM
subbanged
Gal-Sub-Price-Pacio

Quote:
He's 39 ( turned it in February) not 40.

Lemieux sat for 3 years, didn't even play a game of hockey, wasn't in great shape and then announced his come back, took a month to get back into shape before he scored 76 Pts in 43 games at age 36.

Jagr is no Lemieux but he is the closest player ever to Lemieux, similar blend of size, strength and skill.

Jagr has still played in the second best league in the world for the last 3 years, has stayed in shape and has trained very hard, still posses the skills as displayed at the World Championship.

You really are selling him short. After a stint with the Capitals, most people thought Jagr was done. Then the lockout gave Jagr the chance to play in Europe (in inferior leagues like the Czech Elite league and the RSL/ KHL), he came back as strong as ever and won the Pearson and was runner up for every other major award, Hart, Art Ross and Rocket.

Jagr knows his body better than I, you or anyone else. Do you honestly think Jagr would want to come back if he felt he can no longer hang with the big boys in the NHL? Lemieux came back in 2000-01 because he felt he could still compete, which he did an elite level and then when injuries and age caught up to him after the lockout, he retired.

Jagr is no different. He has earned his right to attempt a comeback to the NHL and I think we all should at least give him the chance to show what he has left.
Just out of curiosity are you a habs fan or a jagr fan

Old
06-12-2011, 09:07 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Just out of curiosity are you a habs fan or a jagr fan
Both. I personally feel if this happens, the relationship is going to benefit both the Habs and Jagr.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:13 AM
otto bond

Quote:
It appears that you haven watch much hockey either. Just judging other comments you posted on other treads.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:21 AM
livewell68

Quote:
It's 3 years btw, not 5.

Exactly though, since he hasn't had the same wear and tear as Lidstrom, Selanne, Roloson and Recchi (the other elder elite hockey players) and therefore is more fresh than them.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:28 AM
otto bond

Quote:
It's 3 years btw, not 5.

Exactly though, since he hasn't had the same wear and tear as Lidstrom, Selanne, Roloson and Recchi (the other elder elite hockey players) and therefore is more fresh than them.
Don't waste your word on this poster, just check his overall comment and you will understand what I mean

Old
06-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Habs 1909

Hasn't it been mentioned on Team 990 that PG informed Jagr's agent (Petr Svoboda) that he would not offer him a contract?

Old
06-12-2011, 09:32 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
Hasn't it been mentioned on Team 990 that PG informed Jagr's agent (Petr Svoboda) that he would not offer him a contract?
That was during the World Championship and his agent himself never actually said that. It was a rumor. PG never actually rejected him, he just never offered a contract at the time.

His agent is Jaroslav Zidek btw, not Petr Svoboda who is a former NHL player himself.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:57 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
That's where Jagr's European agent comes into play. From all indication, his European agent is not big fan of Jagr returning to the NHL. There are some rumors that Jagr and his agent are butting heads.
I thought I read it was his KHL team that didn't pass on the message. I'm too lazy to dig for the link but at the time, they also said the Pens weren't interested in signing him, they just wanted to better the relationship given his past history. This was a little over a month ago probably when all the Jagr rumours first started. Shero was quoted in that article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyG 91 View Post
Has anyone else heard this on the radio?

If not, I was just about to say the fact that we haven't heard anything from PG or the Habs organization denying the rumour, gives it credibility imo. PG / BG have been pretty good at preventing leaks of interests out in the past and signings come out of no where.

The fact that we aren't hearing anything from the team could be a positive or maybe I'm just hoping.

Old
06-12-2011, 10:26 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I thought I read it was his KHL team that didn't pass on the message. I'm too lazy to dig for the link but at the time, they also said the Pens weren't interested in signing him, they just wanted to better the relationship given his past history. This was a little over a month ago probably when all the Jagr rumours first started. Shero was quoted in that article.
What you mention is last year's Alumni night during the Penguins last regular season that Jagr was invited but wasn't informed of it by his team. The Penguins let his agent know and his agent didn't pass on the information to Jagr.

This year is different, this new Penguins' extension to appease ties with Jagr is for a golf game. That's where the rumors of Jagr possibly going back to the Penguins started. Shero however shot down the rumors.

We now have rumors that Montreal is interested in Jagr and this one has not been shot down by PG, which leaves hope as you mention in your next post.

Old
06-12-2011, 11:39 AM
neofury*

Quote:
What you mention is last year's Alumni night during the Penguins last regular season that Jagr was invited but wasn't informed of it by his team. The Penguins let his agent know and his agent didn't pass on the information to Jagr.

This year is different, this new Penguins' extension to appease ties with Jagr is for a golf game. That's where the rumors of Jagr possibly going back to the Penguins started. Shero however shot down the rumors.

We now have rumors that Montreal is interested in Jagr and this one has not been shot down by PG, which leaves hope as you mention in your next post.
I'd have to agree plus if the habs can land him for 2-4.5 million per x1-2 years I think PG would have to be stupid not to do it. Plus PG is a scout himself as I recall. He should be able to judge if Jagr can or can't contribute better than even anyone here can. If he's showing an interest I think all the haters can put their doubts at ease.

Closed Thread