HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr interested to play in Montreal pt2

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2011, 09:36 PM
habsrule22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
I've said many times and I will say it again. If Jagr signs in Montreal he is going to be a PPG.
If it was to happen, would you say it would in next few days or after July 1?

Old
06-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Gaston Gingras

I have mixed feelings about him coming here... I think he can do good in MTL since he will be playing with pleks and cammy--- 2 highly skilled forwards. I would sign him since he's supposedly only asking for 2.5 million... but in the other hand he's 39 can he still be effective in the NHL level ( did not play in this ligue since 2008)

Old
06-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Thinkbig

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
From the RDS link...

IMO, this makes perfect sense.

Jagr has always been about the money....
Do you know how to read?

Old
06-18-2011, 09:53 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post
I have mixed feelings about him coming here... I think he can do good in MTL since he will be playing with pleks and cammy--- 2 highly skilled forwards. I would sign him since he's supposedly only asking for 2.5 million... but in the other hand he's 39 can he still be effective in the NHL level ( did not play in this ligue since 2008)
When I bring the Selanne comparison, everyone jumps at me and says Jagr didn't play in the NHL for 3 years.

Selanne was injured for 3 years straight and never played more than 56 games.

Before 2010-11 if someone had predicted Selanne to finish 8th in scoring at age 40, would anyone have believed him?

Jagr wasn't playing in the NHL that's true, but he played in the second best league in the world and was still a PPG in a league that is notorious for low scoring and for making NHL caliber players struggle. In 2004-05 the lockout saw guys like Kovalchuk, Richards, Lecavalier, Datsyuk, Ovechkin (before his breakout rookie season) and Jagr play in the RSL/ KHL and Jagr and Datsyuk were the only notable PPG players.

In fact Ovechkin had 27 Pts in 37 games in the RSL in 2004-05. Just by going by RSL/ KHL numbers, would anyone have predicted Ovechkin to eclipse the 100 Pts mark in his NHL debut?

You can't say things like "If a player has 50 Pts in 50 games in the KHL that he's going to automatically drop to 60 Pts in 82 games in the NHL because the NHL is vastly superior".

Different games, different styles, different expectations. In fact some can argue that certain players are more built for the KHL (Therosen, Morozov, Radulov) and others are for the NHL. Jagr's game is tailor made for the NHL. He's got size, strength, vision, game IQ that will make him great until he's about 43. Jagr also claims himself he feels better about his game now than he did in 2007-08 and back then he scored 71 Pts and added a dominant performance of 15 Pts in 10 games in the playoffs.

If Jagr plays more than 70 games, he will not score less than 70 Pts.

The first thing that goes when you get older are the legs and the endurance. Jagr though didn't exert himself as much in the KHL for 3 years and has kept himself pretty fresh and on top of that he's trained really hard with his own personal trainer and he himself says he's in the best shape of his career.

You guys will be pleasantly surprised on just how good Jagr will be at age 39-40. He will be at 50 Pts already in his 40-50th game.

Last edited by livewell68: 06-18-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old
06-18-2011, 09:56 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkbig View Post
Do you know how to read?
Yes I do.

Many thought it was a strategy to get more money from the KHL.

However, Homers read this as it is in the past tense, as if it is no longer valid or true.

Old
06-18-2011, 10:01 PM
MathMan

Quote:
However, Homers read this as it is in the past tense, as if it is no longer valid or true.
That's not homerism. That's the point of the sentence. From the New York Daily News RDS refers to:

"A source told The News Friday that Jagr's talks with NHL teams are more than just a ploy to get more money out of the Russian team Avangard Omsk, where he has played three seasons. The source said Jagr likely will wind up with the Canadiens."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...#ixzz1Pgfc9NAH

Old
06-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

get ready to be sorely disappointed

Old
06-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post

If Jagr plays more than 70 games, he will not score less than 70 Pts.
It's possible, I grant you, but expecting Jagr to get 70 points next year is like expecting Kostitsyn to score 30. It could happen, but it's probably not the most likely uotcome.

There were 24 players with 70 or more points last year. Jagr, if he signs and is capable of playing 1st-line minutes will be with quality players like Plekanec and Cammalleri but he will also have to take care of the defensive responsibility of playing against the opposition's top-line.

If he signs I would be happy with 50 points and a strong 2-way game. Anything more is gravey, especially at the $2-3 million figure that has been touted.

Old
06-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
get ready to be sorely disappointed
If anyone has actually been getting their hopes up we're going to sign Jagr, they deserve to be sorely disappointed.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting him, but any talk about that seems like a stretch, at best, at this point. We should be focusing on more realistic targets, imo, rather than this quick fix.

But hey, if we do sign him and he pans out, I'll eat my words.

Old
06-18-2011, 10:19 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
It's possible, I grant you, but expecting Jagr to get 70 points next year is like expecting Kostitsyn to score 30. It could happen, but it's probably not the most likely uotcome.

There were 24 players with 70 or more points last year. Jagr, if he signs and is capable of playing 1st-line minutes will be with quality players like Plekanec and Cammalleri but he will also have to take care of the defensive responsibility of playing against the opposition's top-line.

If he signs I would be happy with 50 points and a strong 2-way game. Anything more is gravey, especially at the $2-3 million figure that has been touted.
Jagr is smart. Money is not a motivation for him anymore. Why would he ask for more money knowing he's high risk, would he himself risk not getting signed by an NHL team because of money? Of course not. He knows that everyone will be doubting him because of his age. What better motivation than prove all his doubters wrong and to go out on top with a Cup? Why should he give satisfaction to his doubters and prove to them that he will fail in his comeback, that really his doubters were right; he's old, too slow now, his best days are long behind him, that he should have retired. Jagr has failed to reach the 70 Pts mark only once in his career and that was in his rookie season. That's 16 seasons of 17 seasons in which he had 70 + Pts. I doubt that trend ends now.

This might be the most motivated Jagr we will see in a long, long time. A motivated Jagr can be a very dangerous Jagr, even at his age.
I personally believe he will pull off a Selanne and actually surpass that at this age.

Speed is so overrated on Hfboards. Are the Sedins faster than Jagr? They sure as hell even as the current back to back Art Ross winners are not more than skilled than a 39 year old Jagr.

Some players who are not overly fast are still very successful hockey players like the Sedins, Malkin, Lucic even Savard before his concussion problems. Jagr though is not as slow as you guys play him out to be. Go watch the first goal he scored against USA at the World Championship. He's obviously not going to be the Jagr of circa 1995 blowing by everyone but he can still go on breakaways.

What's lost here is the importance of experience, vision, playmaking, size and strength and even shooting. Jagr even without speed still is better than 95% of the league at all those other things. Again though, he's not as slow as some of you think. He would be among the higher end rather than the bottom fastest players on the Habs. Are all slow players not able to produce 70 + Pts.

Was every single player in the top 30 in scoring in 2010-11 considered a "fast" player? Heck even Selanne himself who scored 80 Pts in 73 games was a shell of his former self in terms of speed.

Did Jagr suddenly age 10 years in terms of his physical attributes because he didn't play in the NHL for 3 years?

Last edited by livewell68: 06-18-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old
06-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Habs514

I am not sure if this was posted. It looks like Jagr was at Plekanec's wedding. http://thereuschblog.com/?p=8650

Old
06-18-2011, 11:44 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
That's not homerism. That's the point of the sentence. From the New York Daily News RDS refers to:

"A source told The News Friday that Jagr's talks with NHL teams are more than just a ploy to get more money out of the Russian team Avangard Omsk, where he has played three seasons. The source said Jagr likely will wind up with the Canadiens."

lol, dude, don't be fooled.

It's called telling the media lies and playing hard to get in order to get the most money.

Jagr and his Agent are playing this perfectly. In the end, Jagr has always been about the money.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:47 PM
MathMan

Quote:
lol, dude, don't be fooled.
The point is that the article DID say he wasn't looking to get more money from Omsk.

However, with reports that Omsk filled out their import players allowance, it's entirely possible that they cannot sign Jagr. I imagine they could make room for him, of course.

Old
06-18-2011, 11:57 PM
Papa Bear

I have two concerns with Jagr. Well actually 3.

1. Jagr likes to play a "slow pace" game whereas the Canadiens (when they are playing well) are a fast paced team that push the pace with their forwards. He's still a talent, no doubt, but will his style mesh with Cammy and Pleks in the NHL, where he won't have the time and space he had in the KHL and WC's.

2. If he comes, he will be considered a savior. That will be a double edged sword because he is going on 40 and he wore out his welcome in both Washington AND New York when he was much younger. What will the reaction be in Montreal when he goes 5 to 10 games without scoring and he does not want to play any defense either. I'm guessing pretty brutal like with other player who was expected to be the savior in this city.

3. He's used to being the star attraction wherever he has been. How will his attitude be if / when he does not get 1st line minutes / 1st pp unit time and is only playing 16-17 minutes a game (particularly since he does not play defense).

Final point, he's only a one year solution. If they concentrate on another player (say Laich or Cole or Gagne if they get to UFA) they will be in Montreal for more than 1 season. With Jagr, we'd have to start this all over next year.

Old
06-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Galchenyum
AGally+BGally

I'm trying not to get my hopes up but the thought of adding Jagr to the team to me is very exciting. I'm convinced he would be point-per-game (though I'd be satisfied with 65 points and a solid effort) and help make the games a lot more entertaining. And when I think about it, I think Montreal makes sense for Jagr if he actually wants to come back to the NHL - a potential contending team on which he is almost guaranteed top line minutes.

I'd obviously prefer a longer term solution to the Habs' top-six but I think for next season realistically there isn't anyone else the Habs could add that would contribute as much as Jagr would.

Old
06-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I loved Forsberg, but it's not really close. 1 Art Ross vs 5. Over 700 more points for Jagr.

I really didn't want to make this a debate over who is the greatest European player of all-time because clearly Lidstrom and Hasek have something to say about that. The point I wanted to make was that it would be cool to have a Habs jersey of an NHL legend that played in my era.
I'M talking skill wise here not points wise. You can put also Peter Stastny in there plus Lidstrom also.

Forsberg was better than Sakic when healthy close but better.

Let's not make a debate here everyone can have his own opinions they are all hall of famers anyway.

I think jagr in Montreal could be done by next week or he won't come here.

Old
06-19-2011, 12:06 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
I'M talking skill wise here not points wise. You can put also Peter Stastny in there plus Lidstrom also.

Let's not make a debate here everyone can have his own opinions they are all hall of famers anyway.

You are right d harvey.

skill wise fberg was miles better than joe boring sakic.

but sakic had 10 times the career., they are different people.

if jagr isn't signed ahead of time, he is never a hab after july 1st.

Old
06-19-2011, 12:07 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
The point is that the article DID say he wasn't looking to get more money from Omsk.
Who creates the Reports? His agent..

Jagr would be a huge loss for the KHL... AND he's still scoring. It's not like he's simply there for show. Not entirely sure whether Jagr would consider playing elsewhere in the KHL, but I can't see how either Omsk or any other team lets him walk

Old
06-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Lars Eller Superstar*

Mark Recchi is 43 yrs old and small and was able to keep up with the pace at 39 yrs old

Jagr is bigger and can play longer considering his longer reach, he doesn't need to rely on pure skating like other small forwards that goes up in age.

People are rediculous to not wanna sign Jagr

Old
06-19-2011, 12:15 AM
Spectaculard
Trout109HR330RBI407R

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
I'm definitely in the --Jagr is one of those generational talents that will put up points as long as he laces them up-- camp.

Old
06-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
I have two concerns with Jagr. Well actually 3.

1. Jagr likes to play a "slow pace" game whereas the Canadiens (when they are playing well) are a fast paced team that push the pace with their forwards. He's still a talent, no doubt, but will his style mesh with Cammy and Pleks in the NHL, where he won't have the time and space he had in the KHL and WC's.

2. If he comes, he will be considered a savior. That will be a double edged sword because he is going on 40 and he wore out his welcome in both Washington AND New York when he was much younger. What will the reaction be in Montreal when he goes 5 to 10 games without scoring and he does not want to play any defense either. I'm guessing pretty brutal like with other player who was expected to be the savior in this city.

3. He's used to being the star attraction wherever he has been. How will his attitude be if / when he does not get 1st line minutes / 1st pp unit time and is only playing 16-17 minutes a game (particularly since he does not play defense).

Final point, he's only a one year solution. If they concentrate on another player (say Laich or Cole or Gagne if they get to UFA) they will be in Montreal for more than 1 season. With Jagr, we'd have to start this all over next year.
1. Cammalleri isn't the fastest player and he doesn't have a problem fitting in with our system, if he can do it then Jagr won't have a problem fitting in.

2. Gomez makes $7 million a year and went like 40 games without a goal, as long as the team is doing well fans don't personally attack players when they are in scoring slumps for the most part.

3. We had guys like Moen, Darche and Pyatt in our top 6 last year, Jagr won't have a problem getting his minutes and he's not a guy with a bad attitude who will put himself before the team.

We have the two biggest pieces of our franchise in Price and Subban who need to be re-signed after this year, getting a guy for one-year isn't a bad idea. We'll also have guys like Palushaj and possibly even Leblanc battling for roster spots after next year... we can deal with the top 6 forward situation after next year.

Old
06-19-2011, 07:33 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Jagr vs Pouliot=Enough Said!!!

I'll take Jagr PLEASE!

Kidding aside, I'm torn but if you dumb it done like that it's logical to take him at 700K more than Pouliot. (if he wants 2M of course)

Old
06-19-2011, 08:16 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

I always hate when the agent turns to the media to explain things...all those guys do, is try to drive up the demand and money....PG and the Habs must hate reading or hearing about the media reports...Holland in Detroit wouldn't be thrilled either...

Old
06-19-2011, 08:28 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowGoesOn View Post
Mark Recchi is 43 yrs old and small and was able to keep up with the pace at 39 yrs old

Jagr is bigger and can play longer considering his longer reach, he doesn't need to rely on pure skating like other small forwards that goes up in age.

People are rediculous to not wanna sign Jagr
Recchi and Jagr are two completely different types of players but I just wanted to point out that even though Recchi was on a Stanley Cup winning team, he spend a lot of time being yelled at by bruins fans because of his slow skating and inability to keep up with the play. He had some great games but he surrounded those games by mediocre games.

Old
06-19-2011, 08:31 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post

Skill wise Jagr was better than Forsberg. He was a better stickhandler, a far superior goal scorer, an equal playmaker, faster, stronger, bigger and more durable.

Closed Thread