HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr interested to play in Montreal pt2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2011, 09:35 AM
  #901
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Recchi and Jagr are two completely different types of players but I just wanted to point out that even though Recchi was on a Stanley Cup winning team, he spend a lot of time being yelled at by bruins fans because of his slow skating and inability to keep up with the play. He had some great games but he surrounded those games by mediocre games.
What I highlighted in Bold says it all. They are two different type of players. Recchi mostly relied on speed and playmaking to be effective when he was younger. Since Recchi is competitive and has remained in great shape, he was able to compete in the NHL for 100 + games in 2010-11 at age 43.

Jagr is younger, stronger, more fit, bigger, better and even faster than Recchi. Recchi is a future Hall of Fame player, Jagr is a generational talent that was and is on a level Recchi never reached. I think generational talents like Jagr deserve the benefit of the doubt. Maybe he knows just how good he can still be and because he has already set himself very high expectations in the past, he knows he can still meet those standards. I doubt he would return to embarrass himself and score less than 70 Pts.

Jagr has so many weapons in his arsenal that speed or lack of speed as he got older was never an issue.

I have watched KHL games and Jagr was slower in 2005-06 than he is now. Guess what he did in 2005-06, he scored 123 Pts.

Jagr is 225 lbs now, not 245 lbs, he's not as slow as people think he is.


Last edited by livewell68: 06-19-2011 at 09:44 AM.
livewell68 is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 09:36 AM
  #902
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200
 
99GoHabsGo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Charlottetown,PE
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,255
vCash: 500
can someone tell me when we are likely to hear his decision weather it be us or another team i just wanna know!!!

estimate people? 3 days? 10 days? 20 Days?

99GoHabsGo99 is online now  
Old
06-19-2011, 09:40 AM
  #903
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
I have two concerns with Jagr. Well actually 3.

1. Jagr likes to play a "slow pace" game whereas the Canadiens (when they are playing well) are a fast paced team that push the pace with their forwards. He's still a talent, no doubt, but will his style mesh with Cammy and Pleks in the NHL, where he won't have the time and space he had in the KHL and WC's.

2. If he comes, he will be considered a savior. That will be a double edged sword because he is going on 40 and he wore out his welcome in both Washington AND New York when he was much younger. What will the reaction be in Montreal when he goes 5 to 10 games without scoring and he does not want to play any defense either. I'm guessing pretty brutal like with other player who was expected to be the savior in this city.

3. He's used to being the star attraction wherever he has been. How will his attitude be if / when he does not get 1st line minutes / 1st pp unit time and is only playing 16-17 minutes a game (particularly since he does not play defense).

Final point, he's only a one year solution. If they concentrate on another player (say Laich or Cole or Gagne if they get to UFA) they will be in Montreal for more than 1 season. With Jagr, we'd have to start this all over next year.
Did Jagr play his whole career in the KHL? Did he not dominate pre-lockout and post lockout NHL? Jagr himself says that he would be better on the smaller ice of the NHL. It's not like 2007-08 was 10 years ago or something.

livewell68 is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 09:44 AM
  #904
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
can someone tell me when we are likely to hear his decision weather it be us or another team i just wanna know!!!

estimate people? 3 days? 10 days? 20 Days?
I would think that things will all play out just before July 1st...If PG is involved with talks with Jag's agent, you would think things will have to be settled before July 1st, so that we take care of business with or without Jagr....just my .02 cents...

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 09:45 AM
  #905
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200
 
99GoHabsGo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Charlottetown,PE
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I would think that things will all play out just before July 1st...If PG is involved with talks with Jag's agent, you would think things will have to be settled before July 1st, so that we take care of business with or without Jagr....just my .02 cents...
thanks

99GoHabsGo99 is online now  
Old
06-19-2011, 10:27 AM
  #906
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
can someone tell me when we are likely to hear his decision weather it be us or another team i just wanna know!!!

estimate people? 3 days? 10 days? 20 Days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
I would think that things will all play out just before July 1st...If PG is involved with talks with Jag's agent, you would think things will have to be settled before July 1st, so that we take care of business with or without Jagr....just my .02 cents...
I think things will play out just before draft week-end (next few days). The new cap is usually announced before the draft, and this is what the Habs are probably waiting for to sign Markov, Jagr and whoever else they want to sign before July 1st.

Ozymandias is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 10:27 AM
  #907
ymorin007*
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Maarten
Country: Netherlands Antilles
Posts: 285
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
Jagr to ESPN
Quote:
"...First we'd have to see if it can happen," he added. "But if it happened, it would be very exciting. It also would be a nice challenge. There would be some people who think I'm not good enough...."
That's what we need a Jagr with a purpose to prove he is still a force to be reckoned with.

ymorin007* is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 12:14 PM
  #908
livewell68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymorin007 View Post
Jagr to ESPN


That's what we need a Jagr with a purpose to prove he is still a force to be reckoned with.
Exactly. He's aching to make his doubters eat crow. Jagr has always enjoyed proving his naysayers wrong. People thought he was done in Washington and then he went to New York and scored 123 Pts in 2005-06 and 96 Pts in 2006-07 with a reconstructed shoulder.

Not sure if anyone remembers this : Jagr was being criticized in Washington in 2002-03 with Cassidy as coach. During one of the practices the reporters were getting to him and then he stopped and said "This will turn around very soon and people will kiss my butt". The very next night he scored 7 Pts (3 goals, 4 assists) in just 2 periods of hockey. The morning after that game, TSN showed the clip of him saying "they will kiss my butt" and after every point he got they replayed that clip. The following game after that he got 4 Pts (2 goals, 2 assists) including the overtime winner.

Jagr has always wanted to prove he's the best, in his mind he still feels at age 39 he can be better than Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin, the Sedins, Stamkos, St.Louis and this why he wants to come back.

1. Prove he still is the best.

2. Win 1 last Cup.

livewell68 is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 12:20 PM
  #909
E = CH˛
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 17,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
can someone tell me when we are likely to hear his decision weather it be us or another team i just wanna know!!!

estimate people? 3 days? 10 days? 20 Days?
I've just read the minds of all 30 NHL GMs as well as Jagr's and his agent's and I can tell you, without a doubt, this will happen, or not, sometime between now and the first day of the season. Always happy to lend my mind reading powers to people in need. If there's anything else you want to know, don't hesitate.

E = CH˛ is online now  
Old
06-19-2011, 12:40 PM
  #910
MrNasty
Registered User
 
MrNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
can someone tell me when we are likely to hear his decision weather it be us or another team i just wanna know!!!

estimate people? 3 days? 10 days? 20 Days?
Based on the quotes from ESPN it sounded like it would be early this week. He hopes to look at offers today or tomorrow and his agent said they want it settled soon because if he commits to the KHL then he must start training camp in a few weeks.

MrNasty is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 12:40 PM
  #911
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH˛ View Post
I've just read the minds of all 30 NHL GMs as well as Jagr's and his agent's and I can tell you, without a doubt, this will happen, or not, sometime between now and the first day of the season. Always happy to lend my mind reading powers to people in need. If there's anything else you want to know, don't hesitate.
lol

Just for the record... he makes a prediction... he has never been wrong before!!! (Well save for the whole Sundin debacle )

Marchy79 is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 12:56 PM
  #912
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 24,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Skill wise Jagr was better than Forsberg. He was a better stickhandler, a far superior goal scorer, an equal playmaker, faster, stronger, bigger and more durable.
I think Jagr was better than Forsberg, but not by that much and Jagr wasn't stronger. I don't really know how ''bigger'' falls into a skill category either..
Forsberg had the potential to become one of the greatest hockey players of all time. It's very unfortunate that his injuries kept him away from the game so much.

Just so you know, their scoring ratios were pretty identical during the regular season, Jagr averaged a 1.256 ratio while Forsberg hit 1.25. Pretty darn even if you ask me.
There's a bigger difference in the POs however, and Forsberg gets the edge with 1.13 as opposed to Jagr's 1.07.
On the international scene, their pace is again identical.

I give the edge to Jagr because he's been healthier throughout his career and therefore played 500games+ more than Forsberg. He's also had unbelievable years with 62G 149Pts.

So ya, Jagr was better, but one can definitely debate which had the better skillset. It's certainly not as one sided as you make it sound.

Kriss E is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 12:58 PM
  #913
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,246
vCash: 500
I didn't read through this thread in its entirety, so I apologize if this is posted twice.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...rury_pact.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
A source told The News Friday that Jagr's talks with NHL teams are more than just a ploy to get more money out of the Russian team Avangard Omsk, where he has played three seasons. The source said Jagr likely will wind up with the Canadiens.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 01:01 PM
  #914
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
http://translate.google.ca/translate...%26prmd%3Divns

Montreal is apparently Jagr's first choice, and since PG has met with Jagr it seems that it's only a matter of time be we see him in le bleu, blanc et rouge

24stanleycups* is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 01:12 PM
  #915
Dharvey33
Registered User
 
Dharvey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Skill wise Jagr was better than Forsberg. He was a better stickhandler, a far superior goal scorer, an equal playmaker, faster, stronger, bigger and more durable.
You are one sided here Jagr had a better carreer because of the injuries but Forsberg if he could have stayed healthy would have had the edge in points. The only player wich playmaking (playmaking not scoring or anything else) abilities was of the level of Forsberg was Gretzky.

If you talk about carreer points and everything you say Jagr is the best. But when you talk about The complete package you talk Forsberg. Played way more tough than Jagr much more playmaking abilities more hockey sense and vision and had the faculty to make player around him better wich Jagr had trouble with.

Forsberg is arguably the better player you won't make me change my opinion and neither do you.

Dharvey33 is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 01:14 PM
  #916
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 564
vCash: 500


They're biker buddies!!! hahah,
i'd say it's a done deal. Can't wait to tel Jose Theodore, YAAAH, IT IS JAGR!! IT IS!!! WHAAADUP!!

24stanleycups* is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 01:17 PM
  #917
Dharvey33
Registered User
 
Dharvey33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,950
vCash: 500
Tomas who? Tomas Jagr?

yeah *****es Tomas jagr.

To be correct Tomas Michael Jagr is his full name sir

Dharvey33 is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 01:26 PM
  #918
Rexor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brno
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
If you talk about carreer points and everything you say Jagr is the best. But when you talk about The complete package you talk Forsberg. Played way more tough than Jagr much more playmaking abilities more hockey sense and vision and had the faculty to make player around him better wich Jagr had trouble with.


Jágr had 83 assists in one season with Kip Miller and Jan Hrdina as his linemates.

Rexor is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 01:29 PM
  #919
FlyingRat
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 431
vCash: 500
Seems like a lot of people will be disappointed. We've been through this with Sundin, Shanahan, etc.

FlyingRat is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 01:40 PM
  #920
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,726
vCash: 500
Everyone saying that we should pass on Jagr, ask yourself how good he'd look with the Red Wings. If he's good enough for them, why isn't he good enough for us? Because Kovalev failed in his last year? So much for not putting everyone under the same umbrella.

Jagr at his price point for only one year when there are slim pickings on the UFA market, fewer better options at his salary, we'd have the opportunity to load up on other players because we'd have signed a top 6 forward to a cheap contract, and it gives us depth, we'd have to be crazy not to be interested.

If he's good enough for one of the best franchises in the last decade, if he's not good enough for us, there's something wrong with us.

Ginu is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 02:07 PM
  #921
MooseOllini
BobBarker
 
MooseOllini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRat View Post
Seems like a lot of people will be disappointed. We've been through this with Sundin, Shanahan, etc.
Dude, its Jaro F'king Jagr lol. Not Poker Star Sweedish boy or Colin Campbell's friggen replacement. We're talking about Czec Rep's hockey god in person! This guy put Kladno on the map! He inspired 8 years old like Thomas to follow his steppes!.

MooseOllini is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 02:09 PM
  #922
Papa Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
1. Cammalleri isn't the fastest player and he doesn't have a problem fitting in with our system, if he can do it then Jagr won't have a problem fitting in.

2. Gomez makes $7 million a year and went like 40 games without a goal, as long as the team is doing well fans don't personally attack players when they are in scoring slumps for the most part.

3. We had guys like Moen, Darche and Pyatt in our top 6 last year, Jagr won't have a problem getting his minutes and he's not a guy with a bad attitude who will put himself before the team.

We have the two biggest pieces of our franchise in Price and Subban who need to be re-signed after this year, getting a guy for one-year isn't a bad idea. We'll also have guys like Palushaj and possibly even Leblanc battling for roster spots after next year... we can deal with the top 6 forward situation after next year.
By slow pace, I did not mean slow skater. What I meant is that Jagr does not typically like to play at a high tempo. He plays a little like Kovalev. The difference being that while you sometimes get the idea that Kovalev just wants to dangle to impress the audience, Jagr does it with the goal of attacking the net. The thing is, in both cases, I don't think it meshes with the styles of Cammy and Plecks because they are not the type of players that crash the net, thus creating time and space for Jagr. Their game is based on movement and getting into open spaces.

As for the point about Gomez, do you live in Montreal? Because if although he may not have been getting booed at the Bell Center, he was definitely getting destroyed in the papers, on the radio, and on TV as well. Jagr would not be making 7million but he would have pretty big expectations if he signed here.

I'm not saying that we should not sign any top 6 forward, I would just try to see if there might not be a better option available.

Papa Bear is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 02:10 PM
  #923
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Everyone saying that we should pass on Jagr, ask yourself how good he'd look with the Red Wings. If he's good enough for them, why isn't he good enough for us? Because Kovalev failed in his last year? So much for not putting everyone under the same umbrella.

Jagr at his price point for only one year when there are slim pickings on the UFA market, fewer better options at his salary, we'd have the opportunity to load up on other players because we'd have signed a top 6 forward to a cheap contract, and it gives us depth, we'd have to be crazy not to be interested.

If he's good enough for one of the best franchises in the last decade, if he's not good enough for us, there's something wrong with us.
He would look a lot better on the red wings. If he goes there he will be given a role, mostly pp time. They are a true Contender and Jagr would fit in well there. The habs on the other hand have many decencies up front. Sure I'd welcome Jagr but we need other things as well up front. Like big bodies that will go to the front of the net. If we get Jagr and Laich makes it to free agency and we can't get him because of signing jagr I'd be royally pissed.

TheBuriedHab is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 02:15 PM
  #924
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
By slow pace, I did not mean slow skater. What I meant is that Jagr does not typically like to play at a high tempo. He plays a little like Kovalev. The difference being that while you sometimes get the idea that Kovalev just wants to dangle to impress the audience, Jagr does it with the goal of attacking the net. The thing is, in both cases, I don't think it meshes with the styles of Cammy and Plecks because they are not the type of players that crash the net, thus creating time and space for Jagr. Their game is based on movement and getting into open spaces.

As for the point about Gomez, do you live in Montreal? Because if although he may not have been getting booed at the Bell Center, he was definitely getting destroyed in the papers, on the radio, and on TV as well. Jagr would not be making 7million but he would have pretty big expectations if he signed here.

I'm not saying that we should not sign any top 6 forward, I would just try to see if there might not be a better option available.
Jagr doesn't necessarily have to play with Cammy and Pleks, they could always sub Pacioretty and Cammalleri to go with Pacioretty-Plekaec-Jagr, Pacioretty would certainly crash the net and make some room for Jagr.

In any event, to me the signing of Jagr isn't about making Jagr the catalyst on that line. IMO, Jagr's presense is going to tempt a lot of defenders to focus on him and not on Cammalleri, and I could see Cammalleri just EXPLODING offensively because of it.

JGRB is offline  
Old
06-19-2011, 02:18 PM
  #925
Tline250
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 77
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
He would look a lot better on the red wings. If he goes there he will be given a role, mostly pp time. They are a true Contender and Jagr would fit in well there. The habs on the other hand have many decencies up front. Sure I'd welcome Jagr but we need other things as well up front. Like big bodies that will go to the front of the net. If we get Jagr and Laich makes it to free agency and we can't get him because of signing jagr I'd be royally pissed.
Haha you have the choice between Laich and Jagr and you take Laich lmao

Tline250 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.