HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jagr interested to play in Montreal pt2

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2011, 02:55 AM
S Bah

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He doesn't fit a big need there, Cammalleri plays the role of off wing sniper very well, I don't see the PP as much of a concern if Markov can stay healthy.
Yes that's logical thinking let's not have Jagr he was only one of the best players at the Olympics last year and at this years WC.We don't have a problem scoring in OT against Boston.Of course we were just pretending to play,yeah that's it.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:11 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Never been so excited for a potential signing like this! Didn't give much attention or belief to Sundin or Hossa (had no reason besides all the hype of us being so close and s-h-i-t), but after watching Jagr in the WC and the chemistry between him and Plekanec, I want to believe and to a certain extent do believe Jagr when he says Montreal is #1 in his NHL list. However, I'm perplexed when it comes to what he really wants and what happens if he does financially help his hometown team! I need some of your opinions on this subject, because to me this doesn't sound good (from an NHL perspective)... First he says he'd like to come back to the NHL, then his first goal is looking at the offers in the KHL, now it shifted to saving a Czech team (and I'm sure I missed some things on the way)... What do you guys think?

Old
06-10-2011, 07:25 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
Never been so excited for a potential signing like this! Didn't give much attention or belief to Sundin or Hossa (had no reason besides all the hype of us being so close and s-h-i-t), but after watching Jagr in the WC and the chemistry between him and Plekanec, I want to believe and to a certain extent do believe Jagr when he says Montreal is #1 in his NHL list. However, I'm perplexed when it comes to what he really wants and what happens if he does financially help his hometown team! I need some of your opinions on this subject, because to me this doesn't sound good (from an NHL perspective)... First he says he'd like to come back to the NHL, then his first goal is looking at the offers in the KHL, now it shifted to saving a Czech team (and I'm sure I missed some things on the way)... What do you guys think?
Being in charge of Kladno was always in Jagr's plans. His father is in his 70's now, and the team was rumoured to have been bought by a Russian team but Jagr stepped in, took ownership of the team to save it. Jagr's name is revered in the Czech Republic and Russia and with him being in charged, the team won't be moved.

If he were to sign with a KHL team, their training camp starts in July and it would give him less time to settle the finances of his Kladno team. This also means if he were to sign with the KHL, he has to rush his decision being that the training camp starts in just a month.

I think him delaying his decision bodes well for the NHL and Montreal, because the longer he waits, the smaller his window to sign with a KHL team becomes.

There are reports that say Jagr is the best shape of his career, down to 225 lbs, skating faster, and he's trimmed to 3% body fat.

Jagr himself doesn't think retiring is an option right now as he still loves the sport and feels he can still be the best player.

Mark my words, if Jagr comes to Montreal, he will be coming with a purpose, we might witness a 90 Pts player guys!!!!

Old
06-10-2011, 07:37 AM
PhysicX

Thanks jags6868 for you info! Much appreciated seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Jagr stepped in, took ownership of the team to save it. Jagr's name is revered in the Czech Republic and Russia and with him being in charged, the team won't be moved.

Mark my words, if Jagr comes to Montreal, he will be coming with a purpose, we might witness a 90 Pts player guys!!!!
This might sound like a stupid question, but wouldn't there be a conflict of time and distance if he ends up playing in the NHL?
I don't know the exact functions of an owner, but it must be time-consuming and I guess stressful to a certain point. Sorry again, but it seems to me owning Kladno is a bit of an obstacle for Jagr when it comes to playing in North America. Maybe I'm totally wrong here!

Old
06-10-2011, 07:56 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
Thanks jags6868 for you info! Much appreciated seriously!

This might sound like a stupid question, but wouldn't there be a conflict of time and distance if he ends up playing in the NHL?
I don't know the exact functions of an owner, but it must be time-consuming and I guess stressful to a certain point. Sorry again, but it seems to me owning Kladno is a bit of an obstacle for Jagr when it comes to playing in North America. Maybe I'm totally wrong here!
Owning the team at the moment has more to do with influence and name and PR than it does with actually owning the team.

Jagr will have a group pf people who will make the decision and his father will still be playing a minor role with the team.

I think when Jagr is playing in the NHL, he will focus on the NHL and only if there were emergencies that Jagr will have to get involved.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:02 AM
PhysicX

Thanks again jags! I guess I'll just sit back then and keep an eye out on this situation. Would love to see #68 in the back of a habs jersey... I'd buy it asap!

Old
06-10-2011, 08:02 AM
otto bond

Are we still dreaming? All of the cicumstances.....anyone seen his gloves yet?
So Jags6868, if he does sign...anywhere, wen do you expect him to make that decision?

Old
06-10-2011, 08:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown View Post
In this scenario, you deal Weber. Spacek as a 7th D with Diaz waiting in Hamilton.
Weber is part of the future, the only way you trade him is if a young core player is coming back in the deal.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:06 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Are we still dreaming? All of the cicumstances.....anyone seen his gloves yet?
So Jags6868, if he does sign...anywhere, wen do you expect him to make that decision?
Obviously if it's the NHL, before the Free Agent deadline.

The KHL teams are rushing him to sign now, Jagr never likes to be pressured and for this I think he's taking his time meaning, the more time he takes, the less likely he will sign in the KHL.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

I'm pretty excited about Jagr, was hoping to see him year the year after the lockout after seeing him dominate with Plek, but it was not to be.

Now it's actually much more plausible and we've had proof that they still complement each other very well.

**crosses fingers**

Old
06-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Yes that's logical thinking let's not have Jagr he was only one of the best players at the Olympics last year and at this years WC.We don't have a problem scoring in OT against Boston.Of course we were just pretending to play,yeah that's it.
Way to jump way off topic.

I just responded to Jagr filling a need on the PP. That's not really an area of need. If we think he can help us 5 on 5 and the price is right, he can fit in on the ice and off...then do it.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:19 AM
habsrule22

Didn t his agent say that he wanted to make a decision this week. KHL season starts in July.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:21 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Didn t his agent say that he wanted to make a decision this week. KHL season starts in July.
Exactly. This is why the possibity of him coming back to the NHL is becoming more likely.

I think Jagr has given up on the KHL. I think he has his mind set on the NHL.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:25 AM
MM425

I haven't been keeping tabs on this "story" (I use that term loosely).

Is there any real chance at all of this happening?

Old
06-10-2011, 08:26 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Way to jump way off topic.

I just responded to Jagr filling a need on the PP. That's not really an area of need. If we think he can help us 5 on 5 and the price is right, he can fit in on the ice and off...then do it.
Jagr will not just help on 5 on 5, he will make the team better.

Mark my words, if Jagr signs with Montreal and he is paired with Plekanec, Plekanec' numbers will go up, he might even hit 80 Pts.

Jagr himself will surprise many and get over 80 Pts.

If you have 2 potential 75-90 Pts players on the same line and then add Cammaleri, wouldn't you take it?

Old
06-10-2011, 08:30 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Mark my words, if Jagr signs with Montreal and he is paired with Plekanec, Plekanec' numbers will go up, he might even hit 80 Pts.

If you have 2 potential 75-90 Pts players on the same line and then add Cammaleri, wouldn't you take it?
Yeah...but the guy is still 39 and has spent 3 years out of the NHL, there is always an element of risk, going back to the NHL will be an adjustment, and every player hits a decline at some point.

I'm not saying I wouldn't take him...but it isn't as black and white as some fans want to paint it...just like Richards going to a team will instantly make them a cup contender...history tells us that sometimes those moves backfire completely.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:30 AM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM425 View Post
I haven't been keeping tabs on this "story" (I use that term loosely).

Is there any real chance at all of this happening?
Yes, believe it there is.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:31 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Yeah...but the guy is still 39 and has spent 3 years out of the NHL, there is always an element of risk, going back to the NHL will be an adjustment, and every player hits a decline at some point.

I'm not saying I wouldn't take him...but it isn't as black and white as some fans want to paint it...just like Richards going to a team will instantly make them a cup contender...history tells us that sometimes those moves backfire completely.
At 2.5M for one year, it's a risk I think we're all willing to take.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:32 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:

I take it and run, this line would have the potential to be absolutely dominant and I like it!

Old
06-10-2011, 08:36 AM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I'd sign Jagr at 4,5M$/1 yr (and Talbot at 900k/yr for two seasons, if he decline I'd re-sign Darche at 700k instead) and ride these trios next year:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Jagr
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Eller - Desharnais
Moen - Talbot - White
Pyatt

I'd try to get rid off Spacek and replace him with a younger and cheaper player, perhaps Ian White? Always liked him and he's better on the PP than Spacek. We could sign him for 3M$ at 1 year IMO.

Emelin - Markov
Gill - Subban
Gorges - White
Weber

Then, next offseason, Jagr, White and Moen goes off the books and we used this money to sign long-term Price and PK.
I did that right at least

Old
06-10-2011, 08:38 AM
livewell68

Quote:

This is different. This is where I have faith that it will work.

Put your self in Jagr's shoes.

If you were a sure shot future Hall of Famer and nearing the end of your career, you can make more money playing in the KHL where there is less pressure, the life is more relaxed, would you come back to the NHL if you thought you couldn't succeed or had nothing left to prove?

Jagr is a very smart man, he also has a lot or pride and to an extent an ego.

He's not going to play in the NHl for less money only to fail and make a fool out of himself and be a shell of his former self.

It's no coincidence he trained his butt off this past year to get back into top shape. That fitness level is not needed for the KHL, it's more geared towards the NHL.

Even at this age, he's more skilled than 90% of the league. With a body that weighs 225 lbs and has 3% body fat, he can dominate even at age 39.

You guys will see a faster Jagr than anyone has seen since the lockout.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:41 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:

I'm a huge Jagr fan, I think he's a generationnal talent and he isn't reconized at his fullest.

But, I highly doubt Pleks and Jagr will be ppg players together.

I'd be very happy if they can get 70-75 pts + Cammy. It would be a very solid first line.

The problem is that we wouldn't have a 2nd line... unless Gomez magically morph into a good 2nd line centre.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:44 AM
neofury*

I have a feeling if we do get Jagr it will be a groundbreaking move for this team. We will be contenders.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Take it from somebody who has watched close to 90% of his NHL career games played, if he plays for your team you will not see much difference in the regular season at all. Which is to say, the Habs will still be in the playoff mix. But you will have gained a BIG TIME playoff performer who can and will put the team on his shoulders in times of need.

At this point in his career, his biggest asset is primarily his main asset, and that's the power play. But that's already a strength of the Habs so i don't expect much overall team improvement at all.

In the playoffs however, he can still be a force. And make no mistake, if he comes back, he is coming back for the Stanley Cup (and the regular season money).

Old
06-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
I'm a huge Jagr fan, I think he's a generationnal talent and he isn't reconized at his fullest.

But, I highly doubt Pleks and Jagr will be ppg players together.

I'd be very happy if they can get 70-75 pts + Cammy. It would be a very solid first line.

The problem is that we wouldn't have a 2nd line... unless Gomez magically morph into a good 2nd line centre.
With DD and Eller in the mix, I am pretty sure we can have a decent 2nd line if ever Gomez plays like **** again next year.

Closed Thread