HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2011-2012 Season Thread

Old
03-31-2012, 08:38 PM
Otters Fan

vCash: 500
I think Grant is a great kid. I'm just speaking of his play,and im all for him proving me wrong.
If Olden comes back that line could be as good or better than the 1st line.The other nice thing is then Crisp can join Evans and Betz who i think got alot better as the year went on.

Otters Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:43 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
I think Grant is a great kid. I'm just speaking of his play,and im all for him proving me wrong.
If Olden comes back that line could be as good or better than the 1st line.The other nice thing is then Crisp can join Evans and Betz who i think got alot better as the year went on.
Ya they both definately improved especially Evans. I think if Evans grows a bit and puts in the off season work he could have a major break out year. I cant find the stats they have been removed for some reason but he had at least 8-10 goals in the second half of the season. I can see him putting in 20 next year easy on the right line.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:21 PM
Styx and Stones

OttersFan

Could you please give your best recruitment pitch to convince a player to come to Erie?

Styx and Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:48 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx and Stones View Post
OttersFan

Could you please give your best recruitment pitch to convince a player to come to Erie?
Sure but what perspective are you looking at this at? And also know I am not directly affiliated with the organization its self so please do not see my post in that sense.

I know Erie had a rough season this year but this team has a huge upside. Adam Pelech will most likely make the world junior roster for team Canada and I would say Stephen Harper has a chance in two years and many have him labeled as a first round NHL pick in 2013. They have an abundance of young prospects that are going to develop and make this team a serious title contender ( Pelech, Harper, Fox, Brown, Cairns, Williams, Mcdowell) just to name a few. All sources point toward Connor McDavid playing here at this point although nothing is on paper yet adding him to the team makes them a front runner in my opinion. McDavid is touted as the best prospect since Crosby so his play and skill speaks for himself. I cannot stress enough the impact Connor will have on any team in this league. What kid from a hockey stand point would turn down an opportunity to play on the same team as him? Erie also has 5 selections in the top 55 in this years draft and the 3rd overall import pick. The right selections here with the players reporting will also make this team a contender. They have all the makings to turn the franchise around in the next two years. People tend to forget Windsor a few years back was not a strong organization by any means and London in the mid 90’s set the league record with fewest wins at 3.

Erie also has great high schools that all the younger players attend. Most go to McDowell high school which is an excellent school that has around 90 percent of each class go on to secondary education. I believe some go to Cathedral Prep which is a private all boys school. http://www.bestofbothworlds.ca/academic-advisors-s12058 is a link that describes the education in the OHL more.

Erie is in all honesty an excellent place to play junior hockey and it is an absolute perfect town with a loyal fan base that supported the team through this season. The atmosphere at an Erie game can easily compete if not be better than any other team in the league. Ask any fan out there that went to any playoff games when the team won the championship, other teams and players said that they have never played in a building with such a passionate and loud crowd.

The Tulio arena is also under 42 million dollar renovations that will be half finished by next season and completed for the start of the 2013-14 season. A brand new place to play hockey and a team that is wining is going to sell a massive amount of tickets in the city. When Erie has a good team on the ice there ticket sales are in the top 7 easily. This year they had just 10 wins but still averaged nearly 3,000 fans a game. I know many other OHL teams with that record would not stand a chance at those sales.

I can go on about other topics if you wish or elaborate more on anything. This is just a start but it is a huge post and I don’t know if you want to read this much. Let me know what you think.

Old
04-01-2012, 11:59 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
OttersFan

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/number17.htm

This is another site proving the atmosphere in Erie. It is the last rated subject and Erie is given an A+. "The loudest building I have ever visited for hockey" is a quote from it. Also all the things that Erie did not get high ratings on are all going to be improved after the renovations. Easily giving them a top 5 rink in the league if not higher.

Old
04-02-2012, 06:25 AM
Styx and Stones

Exactly the kind of response I'm looking for. Not familiar with your town or program and it's a long way away from us. Thank you for taking the time.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:13 PM
OHLFan8771

So it seems obvious who Erie will take with the first pick but what do other fans think they should do with their two 2nd rounders? I really like David Miller a forward from the Rebels who is small but has the best hockey IQ in the draft other than McDavid and maybe a few others. I think who ever gets him is getting a 2nd round steal. Then with the other pick taking Centorame on D he is a solid pick with lots of potential or Duchesne who is a huge kid that plays physical on the blue line. What do others think they should do? Maybe trade one of the picks even to get a solid veteran for next season?

Old
04-03-2012, 03:14 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Exactly the kind of response I'm looking for. Not familiar with your town or program and it's a long way away from us. Thank you for taking the time.
Youre welcome, if you want to know anything else I would be glad to answer the questions if I can.

Old
04-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Styx and Stones

Youre welcome, if you want to know anything else I would be glad to answer the questions if I can.

I'll let you know after Saturday! How many rookies do you see making the team?

Old
04-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Otters Fan

Quote:

It all depends,i do think that the top three or four picks will be giving a fair chance to make the team.
I also think our 3rd overall pick in the import draft will make the team. Im guessing it will be a goalie.

Ottersfan just wanted to say great job telling styx and stones about our city.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:29 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:

That's a tough thing to predict but I would bet around four or five (96 born players and Mcdavid a 97) in the OHL priority selection and if Erie chooses McDavid and he reports he will for sure be one. With that being said Erie is returning quite a few players but every year there are a few that will not be on the team that played the previous year which opens up roster spots.

If any given player regardless of what round they are drafted in impresses the team at camp and works hard they can easily earn a roster spot as it happens every year. Travis Wood is an example from this past season, he was an 11th round pick but was on the team all season long.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 04-04-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old
04-04-2012, 04:45 PM
OHLFan8771

I looked at the 5 round mock draft and Cody Milan was Erie's first second round pick. He is a tall kid and will certainly grow and I can see him fitting right in with Erie next season given his style of play; a first or second line forward in the future.

Old
04-04-2012, 05:53 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottersfan View Post
That's a tough thing to predict but I would bet around four or five (96 born players and Mcdavid a 97) in the OHL priority selection and if Erie chooses McDavid and he reports he will for sure be one. With that being said Erie is returning quite a few players but every year there are a few that will not be on the team that played the previous year which opens up roster spots.

If any given player regardless of what round they are drafted in impresses the team at camp and works hard they can easily earn a roster spot as it happens every year. Travis Wood is an example from this past season, he was an 11th round pick but was on the team all season long.
I'm not so sure about 4 or 5. A possibility yes, but unlikely IMO unless the boys have an extremely fantastic camp. I'd say around 2 possibly 3 depending on who they draft. Although this team is rebuilding look for them to swing some deals for a couple older players. They have a good core, I also like rookies Harper, Evans and Murphy. Although Murphy had a limited time with the big club, he is a kid that can step on the roster next season and help make a difference next season. Things are looking up for the young club they are a couple additions away from a fairly competitive team real soon.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:05 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I'm not so sure about 4 or 5. A possibility yes, but unlikely IMO unless the boys have an extremely fantastic camp. I'd say around 2 possibly 3 depending on who they draft. Although this team is rebuilding look for them to swing some deals for a couple older players. They have a good core, I also like rookies Harper, Evans and Murphy. Although Murphy had a limited time with the big club, he is a kid that can step on the roster next season and help make a difference next season. Things are looking up for the young club they are a couple additions away from a fairly competitive team real soon.
Ya you could be right as well becuase I do feel they will make some trades but I still think they may have at least 3 openings. With the draft as strong as it is I think there could be some 96's that take a spot or two from other players.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:53 PM
OHLFan8771

Its nothing people did not expect but its finally official. McDavid will play for Erie.

Old
04-07-2012, 11:42 PM
OHLFan8771

So what do other fans think about Erie's picks (other than McDavid). I think that Pettit, Felker, Hodgson, Robertson, Raddysh, and Larkin were all good picks. I think two or three could find a spot on the team next season. People are saying Sherry did not get enough support players but I think all of these players have serious potential. They already have a strong core and if some how they could get Larkin to commit this draft would be a huge success.

Old
04-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Otters Fan

I don't enough about most of the kids they drafted other than McDavid of course.I do know a few different things i read said they could have got some of the guys they drafted later on. The one thing i can say is everyone they drafted was 5'11 or taller,so that for sure is something different than this team has looked in a while.
I hope one or two of these defensemen pan out they drafted and that would help a ton.I also hope they can get that under17 goalie from russia that i heard people talking about.They say hes a stud so hope we get him and hope he will report.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:04 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters Fan View Post
I don't enough about most of the kids they drafted other than McDavid of course.I do know a few different things i read said they could have got some of the guys they drafted later on. The one thing i can say is everyone they drafted was 5'11 or taller,so that for sure is something different than this team has looked in a while.
I hope one or two of these defensemen pan out they drafted and that would help a ton.I also hope they can get that under17 goalie from russia that i heard people talking about.They say hes a stud so hope we get him and hope he will report.
I definitely agree that I liked how they drafted some kids with size. Pettit is a pk kind of player and a sniper with some good size to him. Felker is a solid puck moving d-man that they needed desperately. I think both will make the team next season, Dylan Larkin is first round talent but may not play in the O, if he reports he makes the team as well. Robertson and Raddysh are good picks as well that I have heard good things about. Hodgson is a great player and will be a heck of a hockey player but it seems right now he is more focused on pursuing baseball.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
I definitely agree that I liked how they drafted some kids with size. Pettit is a pk kind of player and a sniper with some good size to him. Felker is a solid puck moving d-man that they needed desperately. I think both will make the team next season, Dylan Larkin is first round talent but may not play in the O, if he reports he makes the team as well. Robertson and Raddysh are good picks as well that I have heard good things about. Hodgson is a great player and will be a heck of a hockey player but it seems right now he is more focused on pursuing baseball.
Hodgson may be a great hockey player (I see a lot of Sareult in him) but he is one helluva ball player...better than hockey....85 mph fastball, lefty.....he would be wiser to pursue baseball and play Jr A hockey.

Raddysh is an absolute steal!!!! Easily the best release in this draft and capable of playing forward and D very well....didn;t get the icetime he deserved on a powehouse Marlies team. He will make this team.

Racer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:42 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
Hodgson may be a great hockey player (I see a lot of Sareult in him) but he is one helluva ball player...better than hockey....85 mph fastball, lefty.....he would be wiser to pursue baseball and play Jr A hockey.

Raddysh is an absolute steal!!!! Easily the best release in this draft and capable of playing forward and D very well....didn;t get the icetime he deserved on a powehouse Marlies team. He will make this team.

I have heard nothing but good things about this young prospect, how well can he run the PP?

Old
04-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
[/B]

I have heard nothing but good things about this young prospect, how well can he run the PP?
With his release, he is better off playing in the high slot or the half wall....easily the best release in the draft....i kid u not....u will be in awe of how fast he gets it off and how hard it is!

Racer14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:59 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
With his release, he is better off playing in the high slot or the half wall....easily the best release in the draft....i kid u not....u will be in awe of how fast he gets it off and how hard it is!
That makes sense he would be better on the slot. I have a feeling Erie may try to convert him to a forward given Erie has done that in the past. With his release and McDavid's passing they could become a good PP pairing.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Styx and Stones

Hi Ottersfan and Otters Fan.

I wanted you to know how thrilled our son was to be taken by Erie with the 27th pick. Thank you again for your earlier responses regarding the positives of playing in Erie. We look forward to visiting your community.

Old
04-11-2012, 10:22 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:

I wanted you to know how thrilled our son was to be taken by Erie with the 27th pick. Thank you again for your earlier responses regarding the positives of playing in Erie. We look forward to visiting your community.
Congratulations to your son and your family - what an exciting day for all of you, and best of luck to your son in his OHL career!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 04:37 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:

You're welcome and congratulations to your son and family as well. I have heard nothing but positive remarks about him and cant wait to see him play next season.