HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason Game Plan: Sabres

Old
06-05-2011, 10:54 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Offseason Game Plan: Sabres

Another vanilla piece from Scott Cullen that regurgitates the common knowledge facts on peripheral points but misses the mark on any salient analysis:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367944

And, if he were the GM of the Sabres, his only changes would be:

1. Replace Connolly with Boyes as the 2nd line center.

2. Promote Kassian to 3rd line wing despite no AHL development.

3. Sign Hejda as the only addition to defense.

http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculato...er.php?id=1082

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 11:07 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Can someone pay me to do that? Because I could have regurgitated that article in about 10 minutes.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 11:16 AM
SoFFacet

I talked to the CBJ fans on their board a couple weeks ago about Hejda. Apparently he is really over the hill now. He has a good reputation but I won't be pleased if he the "#2D" that Darcy comes up with.

Also WTF with intentionally casting Boyes at 2C.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFFacet View Post
I talked to the CBJ fans on their board a couple weeks ago about Hejda. Apparently he is really over the hill now. He has a good reputation but I won't be pleased if he the "#2D" that Darcy comes up with.

Also WTF with intentionally casting Boyes at 2C.
My thought exactly - and what made his end conclusion even more illogical was that he suggests Jussi Jokinen as a possible FA acquisition that would fit in Buffalo (which I agree with).

Old
06-05-2011, 12:00 PM
ohheyimmark

He even notes that Boyes was moved to center at the end of the year. And his production dropped. How do you miss the correlation (and in many's eyes, the causation)?

Blugh.

ohheyimmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 12:26 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 12:29 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
He's TSN's short-haired equivalent to ESPN's Barry Melrose: illogical, contradictory and self-aggrandizing.

Last edited by Sabretip: 06-05-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old
06-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Zip15

He probably missed the memo that we have a new owner.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Awesome stuff

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 01:59 PM
BCS

Cullen's offseason scenario is like something from the Golisano era. It's going to be infuriating if Buffalo's summer unfolds similarly to his writeup.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:02 PM
Fire Me
Cleared, BUT NOT OUT

excellent article, would read again, etc.

Fire Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Blacksheep71

I think the comments are unnecessarily harsh. Consider the following

1. He does state that over the last 46games we went 29-11-6 and legitimately asks do we really need to have a big shake up.

2. Just because Pegulla has big pockets doesn't mean he's going to go mad.

3. He suggested either Boyes or ENNIS might be given a look at center. He didn't state Boyes fell off after moving into the middle, only that he played there more so that he did with the Blues. He suggests Brooks Laich as another option if we look to free agency.

4. Alongside Hejda he also mentions ED JOVANOWSKI, SCOTT HANNAN or ERIC BREWER as possible defensemen to sign, though remarked at the significant inhouse depth.

What Cullen said reading between the lines is that with minor adjustment we are close to being a contender capable of going deep into the playoffs.

Blacksheep71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep71 View Post

1. He does state that over the last 46games we went 29-11-6 and legitimately asks do we really need to have a big shake up.

3. He suggested either Boyes or ENNIS might be given a look at center. He didn't state Boyes fell off after moving into the middle, only that he played there more so that he did with the Blues. He suggests Brooks Laich as another option if we look to free agency.

4. Alongside Hejda he also mentions ED JOVANOWSKI, SCOTT HANNAN or ERIC BREWER as possible defensemen to sign, though remarked at the significant inhouse depth.

What Cullen said reading between the lines is that with minor adjustment we are close to being a contender capable of going deep into the playoffs.
But WHY DIDNT HE SAY BRAD RICHARDS IS COMING TO BUFFALO!!?!?!??!?!

Old
06-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Blacksheep71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Barr View Post
But WHY DIDNT HE SAY BRAD RICHARDS IS COMING TO BUFFALO!!?!?!??!?!
Because there is a strong possibility he isn't.

As the most coveted player in free agency he can (cap implications) go where he wants to.

Do we overpay like Briere/Flyers, Drury/Rangers, Campbell/Blackhawks and if he flunks have an untradeable albatross on our books?

Old
06-05-2011, 05:12 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Because there is a strong possibility he isn't.

As the most coveted player in free agency he can (cap implications) go where he wants to.

Do we overpay like Briere/Flyers, Drury/Rangers, Campbell/Blackhawks and if he flunks have an untradeable albatross on our books?
I think he was being sarcastic.

The idea of Boyes playing at center at all is frightening. He's a good winger, and would allow us to roll 3 scoring lines when Pominville is healthy, and to slot him in to the 2nd line if Pominville isn't ready for the season to start.

We need outside center help or Adam needs to take a very very large leap forward with his skating.

And I think Briere has earned that huge contract of his, or has done all he can to.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Blacksheep71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
I think he was being sarcastic.
I know but Cullen is supposed to be realistic. Even with Pegulla onboard there are very few eliteplayers who hit UFA and everyone is after them

Old
06-05-2011, 05:58 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:

If the team doesn't add any centers, Jochen Hecht will be the team's 2nd line center. Brad Boyes and Tyler Ennis would only play there in case of injury. Add to that most everyone acknowledges that the Sabres are weak at center and overloaded in young defenseman and top 6 wingers, and it's clear that any offseason plan that involves Boyes or Ennis playing center is worthy of scorn.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Sabretip

Quote:

Guess you missed the part at the end where he gave a link to what he foresaw the roster looking like - Boyes and Hejda are spelled out:

Quote:
Check out a possible roster, on www.capgeek.com, for next season, with some minor additions here: http://*******/k4XirA

Old
06-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

Hejda @ 3.5 million

Old
06-05-2011, 06:55 PM
ct2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Guess you missed the part at the end where he gave a link to what he foresaw the roster looking like - Boyes and Hejda are spelled out:
If they pay $3.5m for Hejda, then I'm gonna

ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:42 PM
MillsyMyers30

THANK GOD HE'S NOT RUNNING OUR TEAM!! Hahahahahahahahahaha

MillsyMyers30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 07:02 AM
Blacksheep71

I wouldn't say we are deep on the wing.

At LW, behind Vanek, Ennis and Gerbe we have Foligno, whilst at RW we are slightly deeper but after Stafford, Boyes and Pominville, we are a little light.

I agree about defense though and think if we moved Sekera and Butler for a Center we would be in a better position as I think Gragnani and Weber are locks for the Sabres and it would surprise me if Brennan and Schiestel get very long looks.

The issue is, would any team trade us a Center who would represent an upgrade over Connolly or Hecht. After Richards the No1 FA Center is Brooks Laich

Old
06-06-2011, 07:53 AM
SoFFacet

Quote:

At LW, behind Vanek, Ennis and Gerbe we have Foligno, whilst at RW we are slightly deeper but after Stafford, Boyes and Pominville, we are a little light.

I agree about defense though and think if we moved Sekera and Butler for a Center we would be in a better position as I think Gragnani and Weber are locks for the Sabres and it would surprise me if Brennan and Schiestel get very long looks.

The issue is, would any team trade us a Center who would represent an upgrade over Connolly or Hecht. After Richards the No1 FA Center is Brooks Laich
I don't know how deep you think is deep. The players you listed are enough to fill 3 good scoring lines worth of wings with room to spare.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 08:14 AM
ct2111

Quote:

Well, there's a difference between prospect depth, roster depth and organizational depth. On paper the Sabres are one of the deepest teams on the wings. On the other hand, they lack high-end skill in their prospect pool which is more important for the future. Organizational depth is somewhere between, with it being a small issue right now since all of their wingers (other than Hecht) are relatively young.

If you have a choice to play Gerbe on the 4th, then you know you have depth on the sides. If you have a choice to play Boyes on the 3rd line (who despite his playoffs is still a serviceable 2nd line winger), then you're deep.

As for prospect depth, with three of the four top-six wingers locked up to long contracts and Ennis not likely to go anywhere anytime soon, they could have their top 6 already set for a few years. I'd argue, if Stafford doesn't fall to his 09-10 form there will be enough scoring on the wings. Which means what they need most on the wings for the near future is toughness combined with some skill on the bottom lines, which they certainly have in Kassian, Foligno and Tropp. Tough guys and enforcers can be signed for cheap with Kaleta and McCormick already being good fits for the 4th line.

For next season it could be as good as:
LW: Vanek, Ennis, Hecht, Gerbe, McCormick
RW: Pominville, Stafford, Boyes, Kaleta

In two seasons it could be as good as:
LW: Vanek, Ennis, Gerbe, Foligno, (Adam), (Hecht), (McCormick)
RW: Pominville, Stafford, Kassian, Kaleta, Tropp

That's imo more than good enough depth for right now and in the near future. Everything beyond that can be addressed through the draft.

As for Laich, there are more suitable options out there on the trade market imo, that doesn't involve overpaying an UFA and playing him on a position he isn't very comfortable with. I doubt he's a better option on center than Connolly.

Last edited by ct2111: 06-06-2011 at 08:25 AM.
ct2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Brooks Laich is a LW who masquerades at center by need in DC. It's Hecht 2.0. Leave him on the wing, leave him to his strength.