HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Offseason Game Plan: Sabres

Old
06-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Brooks Laich is a LW who masquerades at center by need in DC. It's Hecht 2.0. Leave him on the wing, leave him to his strength.
Agreed. Though I believe if they miss out on Richards (likely), they'll turn their attention to guys like Jokinen and Laich, and hope that one of them or Hecht can play center.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Agreed. Though I believe if they miss out on Richards (likely), they'll turn their attention to guys like Jokinen and Laich, and hope that one of them or Hecht can play center.
I'd rather they look to the phones and find a true center who is steeped in the defensive portion of what a pivot is called upon to handle rather than trying more adhoc fixes with converted wingers (even Hecht). But we'll see what happens - I'm of a mind that they surprise us all with a trade acquisition down the middle regardless of the Richards situation.

06-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Blacksheep71

I think for roster purposes we need to think of Hecht as a center.

With Connolly moving on, we are really down to Roy and Gaustad as our centers especially as Niedermayer is now a UFA.

If we think of Adam as a winger too, then we are fairly bare at center and I think unless Hecht is moved for a true center he will be considered one at the HSBC.

Personally I hope we take a couple of centers in the middle of the draft, though I hope we reverse our non-Euro policy and take Nicklas Jensen at 16 as I think he will be dynamite in the NHL in a couple of years time. I think Jean Francois Leblanc might be mid draft steal

Blacksheep71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Imagine if he had the trust of the coaching staff; Vanek's 17:21 time on ice, a career-high, was the lowest ice time per game for any player with more than 65 points last season.
Surprised nobody's thrown this out there yet one way or another.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:21 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Cullen is going to be on WGR tomorrow morning to talk about his plan for the Sabres. By "talk", I hope they mean "defend". And by "plan", I hope they mean "bonehead suggestions".

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:31 PM
littletonhockeycoach

I thought the TSN piece missed the mark as well. As most regular posters on these boards have stated, Buffalo needs more strength down the middle. A true #1 Center is the top need for this team. TSN misses that point.

I though the comment about lack of coaching staff confidence in Thomas Vanek (minutes played) was ah..... interesting? Get TV a slick playmaking center - a la Adam Oates, etc. and you'll get a different TV.

Having your $7.2M per year (or thereabouts) almost franchise player screening goaltenders and getting his head bashed in nightly, is a pretty nuts strategy to me.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 07:17 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Having your $7.2M per year (or thereabouts) almost franchise player screening goaltenders and getting his head bashed in nightly, is a pretty nuts strategy to me.
2 points

TV does not get his head "bashed in".

TV scores A LOT of his goals standing in front, and he said in an interview he likes that position in front of the net.

So you want to take that away from him? Wow.

Edit: so the amount of a players salary is a direct relationship with what role on the ice a player has? Anything over what? 3 million, 4 million? and they shouldn't stand in front of the goalie? Even if they are effective? Interesting thought process.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:37 AM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Zamboni View Post
2 points

TV does not get his head "bashed in".

TV scores A LOT of his goals standing in front, and he said in an interview he likes that position in front of the net.

So you want to take that away from him? Wow.

Edit: so the amount of a players salary is a direct relationship with what role on the ice a player has? Anything over what? 3 million, 4 million? and they shouldn't stand in front of the goalie? Even if they are effective? Interesting thought process.

I'm not taking anything away from TV. It takes guts to set up just outside the crease. He's got lightning reflexes, slick moves (beating Boucher with a toe drag behind and between his legs in tight quarters - WOW), fantastic hand eye coordination for tips, etc.. And he does it with opponents draped all over him, constantly xchecking him, etc..

He also has one of the purest quick release devestating wrist shots I've ever seen. I just wish we were able to see more of that from the top of the circles or dots. Maybe with the right center..... who knows?

I'm old school. I like scoring off the rush, pin point passing and quick, accurate hard shots. It's today's game but I'm really not a fan of cycling low in the corners and along the end boards watching your team work its butt off for 30 seconds only to have their pass to the net hit D-men (pylons) stationary in front of their net like a couple of redwood trees.

Vanek earned his pay this year and then some. But I think he's our highest paid player and the beating he takes (his hands, wrists and upperbody versus his head) is costly when he's out of the lineup.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote