HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Boyd Gordon

Old
06-06-2011, 03:41 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Boyd Gordon

Stars fan here coming in peace.

Looking into potential UFA's that could fill holes in the Dallas lineup I keep coming back to Boyd Gordon. He does a lot of things that we could use out of a bottom six guy - namely killing penalties, solid faceoff ability, good defensively five on five.

I come here to ask those who would know better than the average hockey fan, do I have an accurate understanding of what he brings to the table? Next comes the obligatory "what do you think he will cost?" question. Do you see him returning or are you guys assuming that he's gone?

Thanks in advance.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 03:58 PM
DCRedhawk21

vCash: 500
Your description of him is pretty spot-on...

As to what he'll cost and whether or not he'll be available, I'm guessing he'll get around 1-1.2 million per on a short contract. Given that the Caps traded Steckel and the uncertainty surrounding the Capitals bottom-6, I'm guessing they are going to at least try to retain him. He may hit the open market though to see what he could get elsewhere.

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:05 PM
The Instigator
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 900
Looks like you know him pretty well. I also watched him when he played for the Red Deer Rebels. He's solid.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:12 PM
txpd

Gordon is an honest player at the bottom of the food chain. His face off skills are top 10 in the league. He can be a big game player. He can be injury prone. He is a $800k to $1m max player.

I expect the Caps to keep him as they have over the years. What he does well he has gotten progressively better at and as long as those skills are what the Caps want from their 4C, he would stay.

There is a chance that the Caps will choose to bring more grit and a different role to the 4c job and hope the faceoffs and penalty killing can be covered by a new player at 3C. That would make Gordon available.

He is the Capital player with the longest team tenure. Usually players like that remain for a reason.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Atlas

Solid effort every night. He doesn't try things he can't do. He's just a little short on skill for an NHLer. A fringe guy, really. I like him because of his honest effort but he's probably not good enough to contribute to a Cup winner.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Fallschirmyager

If you're going to rely on BG for a significant scoring role then you got him for the wrong reason. However, he's one of the better faceoff men in the league, is a quality PKer and is a sound defensive/energy line guy. He's also pretty cheap.

His shortfalls are that he has been injury prone and is not going to put up huge points.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:28 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Thanks for the responses. I have no illusions about Gordon being a scorer but his abilities would be welcome in Dallas (and Washington).

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 09:16 PM
HockeyEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
He is the Capital player with the longest team tenure. Usually players like that remain for a reason.
Boyd Gordon is George McPhee's mini-me.

HockeyEh is offline   Reply With Quote