HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

June 24th. Picks: 25, 30, 39, 85, 99, 129, 151, 159, 172, 189, 202. V2

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2011, 07:07 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
I guess my question is: how is Button's opinion any more informed than any of ours?
McKenzie says he consults with scouts, Button's lists don't have any mention of that. So is Button out at the games? Is he just making it up as he goes along?
Sure, he's a "name", but is there any substance behind that?
question are you a leafs hockeys future member? or some other teams. Just curious

Old
06-07-2011, 07:19 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
my guess is that zibanehjab is who the sens pick up, makes a lot of sense realy.
O think there going for Strome myself tbh.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:33 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
O think there going for Strome myself tbh.
I personaly hope that it's not as I am biased, but I think if you look at the alfie's swdish connection it makes sense.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Hurt
Global Moderator

If Catenacci is available at 39, I seriously hope we scoop him. Solid kid.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:49 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th4thurt View Post
If Catenacci is available at 39, I seriously hope we scoop him. Solid kid.
jenner for me.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:58 AM
Budsfan

Burke on Leafs draft strategy

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/06/06/burke_draft/

Old
06-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
question are you a leafs hockeys future member? or some other teams. Just curious
Not sure what you mean by that?
I was "traded" to the Leafs board as part of the Atlanta dispersal draft, all in good fun. So I'd figure I'd swing by and talk about hockey.

Does that have some bearing on whether or not Button is just putting forth opinion without knowledge to back it up?

Old
06-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Interactif

DANAULT, PHILLIP.

I haven't seen too many mentions of him, could be a good pick up at 39. Flying under the radar.

Turn down the volume if you don't like Motorhead!

Old
06-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Interactif

Once again, this is a deep draft, I hope Burke keeps all 3 picks and perhaps even adds one by trading a prospect like Ryan or Boston's 2nd next yr. I can see one of these guys dropping into the 2nd rd.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:36 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
I was "traded" to the Leafs board as part of the Atlanta dispersal draft, all in good fun. So I'd figure I'd swing by and talk about hockey.

Does that have some bearing on whether or not Button is just putting forth opinion without knowledge to back it up?
Good to have you here Kevin!

We gave up Jeffler in the deal so I think we got a steal here! haha

06-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Sonny21
Registerd User

vCash: 50
Quote:

I think he means since your HF staff, which team do you write and what not, not in terms of you being here.

Also on Button, I don't see him credible whatsoever. The most credible when it comes to draft I think is Pierre as even cliff Fletcher mentioned Pierre is pretty dialed in with his draft stuff and also bob as he speaks to scouts.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny21 View Post
I think he means since your HF staff, which team do you write and what not, not in terms of you being here.
I cover the QMJHL for HF.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:53 AM
topched

Quote:
Haha.

Give us a Phillips/Jurco rundown!

Old
06-07-2011, 08:58 AM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:

Wow. Terrific to have another staff member aboard to give us actual insight.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:04 AM
BK201

Quote:
I personaly hope that it's not as I am biased, but I think if you look at the alfie's swdish connection it makes sense.
Well tbh they might take mika it wouldn't be a bad pick either way.

What do you guys think about if the leafs are able to crack into the teens taking Phillips? What kind of centre is he? And can he developed to a top line guy?

I mean 57 assist he may turn into a great playmaker centre.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:08 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
So now you are ours ... for the time being.

Go find us a couple QMJHL players for our draft.

Get one from the Sea Dogs and another one around 99.

Don't worry we're patient here ... waiting.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
06-07-2011, 09:16 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Wouldn't that be something? I think Burke would be able to move up for one of them, but both would cost us a significant amount, unfortunately.
I think Scheifele might end up being completely out of reach for us, if we have to trade up where I think he might go we might as well go after Strome.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:22 AM
topched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
I think Scheifele might end up being completely out of reach for us, if we have to trade up where I think he might go we might as well go after Strome.
I disagree.

I think we'll see Scheifele go somewhere between 11-20. More likely in the early teens.

This draft has a consensus "top 10". The price to trade into that top 10 will be FAR higher than trading to a mid teen pick where the skill is a little more evened out. Strome could go top 5/6 as well.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:33 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

My consensus top 10 includes Scheifele.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:38 AM
donkeyy0

Quote:
con·sen·sus (kn-snss)
n.
1. An opinion or position reached by a group as a whole:

Old
06-07-2011, 09:42 AM
topched

Quote:
Haha well youre opinion isn't the "consensus" if its only yours.

The top 9 is no doubt RNH, Larsson, Landeskog, Strome, Couturier, Zibanejad, Hamilton, Huberdeau, and Murphy.

You'd expect that those 9 would be the first 9 selected, not in that order particularly as most of them are interchangeable.

According to Ulf's compilation of all the various draft ranking as at the start Scheifele has an average rating of 16. I really can't see any team reaching for him in the top 10. But I think he'll likely go between 11 and 20.

The price to trade up into that top 9 is going to be alot higher than it would be to trade to any slot after that, as those 9 are considered "a cut above" all the rest of the field.

Once you get into the teens the price of moving up is more manageable and I think is much more realistic considering what Burke is stating as his priority.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:47 AM
donkeyy0

What about someone like Joel Armia? I literally haven't heard a peep about him since I started lurking on hfboards...is he still a lock to go top 15?

Still wondering what some of the issues are with Rask as well. He looked like a solid 1st rounder to start the year...then yikes...

Old
06-07-2011, 09:58 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyy0 View Post
What about someone like Joel Armia? I literally haven't heard a peep about him since I started lurking on hfboards...is he still a lock to go top 15?

Still wondering what some of the issues are with Rask as well. He looked like a solid 1st rounder to start the year...then yikes...
Yeah Armia is still a top 15 I haven't watched or heard much about him either he may be the fall of the draft tbh.

Hope he does fall

Old
06-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Haha.

Give us a Phillips/Jurco rundown!
Excellent question!

Phillips obviously had the great chemistry with Huberdeau and it propelled them both to the top of the scoring chart in the Q. I know we're often tempted to say that one player might be riding on the coattails of another or benefiting from the talent of their linemate, but I really don't think this was the case here. Hubderdeau was definitely the superior player, but Phillips was hardly a slouch. Without Phillips, Huberdeau wasn't as good and vice versa. In terms of projection, Phillips is a guy who I think will always be a complementary offensive forward. He's not going to be able to carry a line on his own. But make no mistake, I also think his future is scoring line or perhaps not in the NHL at all. He's not particularly physical (he's strong on the puck and will cycle down low, but not a gritty guy), nor is he overly quick (it's average, first few steps need work), which makes him a poor fit to be on the lower lines. Other marks against him are things like consistency and effort. Because of his skating, if he doesn't keep his feet moving the whole time he's out there, he sticks out and looks like he's floating.

Jurco is much more dynamic, but definitely a case of higher-risk for the possibility of a higher-reward. By this point, I'm sure we've all seen the Youtube videos of his shootout moves, but that's only the tip of the iceberg. It's not often a player will get the room and opportunity to pull out all those crazy dekes in an actual game situation, so don't necessarily get blinded by the highlights. But Jurco is definitely talented and he does have the ability to be a top scoring line winger. He's a sniper, but almost plays like a power forward, willing to use his body to drive to the net, pick a corner and light the lamp. I think his stock dropped a bit this year because Saint John tasked him with being a little more complete on the ice and...well...that's still a work in progress. He's still very one-dimensional (like Phillips, I think it's scoring line or bust for his NHL future), but didn't see a similar boost like Huberdeau and Phillips in his second year. With that said, it's hard to ignore his talent. Watching the Memorial Cup, you could see what a motivated and consistent Jurco looks like. He has that ability to take over a game. The question mark is whether or not, as he matures, that he can round out his game and play at the same level from shift to shift and game to game.

I think Jurco has a shot at being a better player, but Phillips is a safer pick.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:02 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
Haha well youre opinion isn't the "consensus" if its only yours.

The top 9 is no doubt RNH, Larsson, Landeskog, Strome, Couturier, Zibanejad, Hamilton, Huberdeau, and Murphy.

You'd expect that those 9 would be the first 9 selected, not in that order particularly as most of them are interchangeable.

According to Ulf's compilation of all the various draft ranking as at the start Scheifele has an average rating of 16. I really can't see any team reaching for him in the top 10. But I think he'll likely go between 11 and 20.

The price to trade up into that top 9 is going to be alot higher than it would be to trade to any slot after that, as those 9 are considered "a cut above" all the rest of the field.

Once you get into the teens the price of moving up is more manageable and I think is much more realistic considering what Burke is stating as his priority.
I think these guys have the potential to drop out of top 10:

Baertschi, Sven
Siemens, Duncan
Armia, Joel

And these guys to move up:

Oleksiak, Jamieson
Zibanejad, Mika

Just opinion, from buzz and rankings, not viewings.

Closed Thread