HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

June 24th. Picks: 25, 30, 39, 85, 99, 129, 151, 159, 172, 189, 202. V2

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Just take a look at the movement from January to May on CSS.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectbrowse.htm

Until the draft happens these rankings could continue to move like that.

Biggs from 5 to 22, Oleksiak from 27 to 13, Connor Murphy from nowhere to 25.

And these don't even take the European skaters into consideration.

Saad could go anywhere from 10 to 30 when you add in Euro's and he was a top 10 not too long ago.

Lack of depth or comparable to 2003 for depth without the stars?
When Burke saw Ross was still on the board at #43 last year he pulled the trigger on the Hayes deal. I would hope he will keep this option open this year with our extra 2nd rd pick in 2012 or even a prospect ie. Ryan

Old
06-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Good to have you here Kevin!

We gave up Jeffler in the deal so I think we got a steal here! haha
Cold. I'm SO unfollowing you on twitter

Old
06-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Interactif

Just throwing it out there

Does this sound like a reasonable transaction? To acquire a 2nd, 2nd rd pick in this draft. Propose to Chicago on the table Toronto's 85th pick plus their Boston 2nd in 2012 for the 43rd pick in this year's draft.

If Leafs like someone still on the board at 43.

Did this last year with Chicago, identical pick.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:13 PM
FreeBird
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
When Burke saw Ross was still on the board at #43 last year he pulled the trigger on the Hayes deal. I would hope he will keep this option open this year with our extra 2nd rd pick in 2012 or even a prospect ie. Ryan
So who says that Ross was a good choice, he spent half the playoffs suspended, was playing with two of the best junior age players in the World and couldn't put any pts. I mean getting suspended when your team is playing for a berth in the Memorial Cup is just inexcusable. Portland on paper had by far and away the best team and perhaps his actions led to their Dimise.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
So who says that Ross was a good choice, he spent half the playoffs suspended, was playing with two of the best junior age players in the World and couldn't put any pts. I mean getting suspended when your team is playing for a berth in the Memorial Cup is just inexcusable. Portland on paper had by far and away the best team and perhaps his actions led to their Dimise.
I don't know if Ross will eventually make it or not but he was termed a "Darcy Tucker" type player when drafted. If this is the case then, he will have to learn from his mistakes to become a good NHL'er. Tucker always played on the line and frequently crossed it, but he had to play this way to be effective and often helped the team more than hurting it. I can live with this, perhaps Ross still has growth within him. Still I like what Burke said when he made this deal and I would like him to do something similar if there are some wonky picks this draft again.

"This is a player we had rated much higher than that," Burke said. "We were happy there were some wonky picks in the first round last night. Guys kind of went off the list a little bit and it managed to drop him down to us. We were able to make the trade. We put a good prospect in Jimmy Hayes, he's a good kid too.

Old
06-07-2011, 03:39 PM
hockeywiz542

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2050400/

Quote:
A lot of the discussion about the Toronto Maple Leafs these days concerns general manager Brian Burke’s plans to trade up in the NHL entry draft later this month.

Actually, that is one of several plans Burke is juggling at the moment, according to those familiar with his actions. He is also considering how to land the No. 1 centre the Leafs badly need, the most likely route being a trade that would require giving up some or all of his three picks in the top 40, which would mean no moving up at the draft. There is also the possibility of signing centre Brad Richards as a free agent, although that is less likely than the previous two scenarios.

At this point, Burke has the 25th overall pick, which he received from the Philadelphia Flyers in the trade for Kris Versteeg, the Boston Bruins’ first pick from the Tomas Kaberle trade (which will be 29th or 30th overall depending how the Bruins do in the Stanley Cup final) and the Leafs’ second-round pick, which is 39th overall.
Quote:
Since Burke does not have the high picks needed to trade his way into the top six, he is willing to package what he has to get into the top 10 or even 15. Ideally, he would trade just one of his first-round picks and his second-rounder in order to draft twice in the first round.

He is working the phones with his fellow GMs to lay the groundwork for such a move but it is no certainty. The trouble is, there is lots of competition for those top 15 picks. The Chicago Blackhawks, for example, have two second-round picks and could nose Burke out.

So the Leafs GM is working several fronts at once. There is the possibility of trading for the No. 1 centre but at this point there is no clear target. He will not be trading for Richards’ negotiating rights up to July 1 since it is clear the Dallas Stars centre plans to become a free agent. The other obvious target, San Jose Sharks centre Patrick Marleau, is also unlikely to land in Toronto because Leafs head coach Ron Wilson is not considered a big fan from his days coaching the Sharks.

Old
06-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Leafssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Does this sound like a reasonable transaction? To acquire a 2nd, 2nd rd pick in this draft. Propose to Chicago on the table Toronto's 85th pick plus their Boston 2nd in 2012 for the 43rd pick in this year's draft.

If Leafs like someone still on the board at 43.

Did this last year with Chicago, identical pick.
I think that's overpayment. 85th + prospect should be good enough for one of Chicago's 2nds.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:10 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
I think that's overpayment. 85th + prospect should be good enough for one of Chicago's 2nds.
Caputi + 85th?

Old
06-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

after the 8 mark..i think the level of player skill drops off atleast that's what i think, but let's see what happens, i do hope burkie is able to pull a big deal.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Draft Darren Kramer Spokan Chiefs

Big bruiser who can play and fight like no-ones business..There talking about him in hockey-fights.com..had 42 fights this year and won almost all of them..Bob Probert like winning percentage..same size when he was in Jr..

Maybe a 4th or 5th pick on him..

Old
06-07-2011, 05:29 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

No more enforcers please.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Funk Volume
Independent Living

No need for an enforcer. I'd take him in the 6th or 7th, if at all. Even then, our scouting staff seems to be good at finding late round prospects (see: Josh Nicholls last year)

Old
06-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Jibby95

Fighters are pointless to draft.

If you really want one, let someone else waste a pick on them and when they eventually become FA just sign one for 500k.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:41 PM
S2S
Come at me bros

Good write up by Mr Bugg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Saad struggles with shift-to-shift consistency, but for my money, there are few better options at his position and with his potential in this class.

In many ways, he is comparable to Jack Skille. He's a big boy with excellent technical skating ability and a variety of tools, but no toolbox as of yet. It's a completely understandable worry that he might never find the mental part of the game. But outside of selecting him in the top ten, I can't really see a scenario in which he's not amongst the best players still on the board. Even if he doesn't put it together offensively, he's still likely to be an NHLer and that's a good use of a pick.

Here are some other scoring wingers available in the 10-30 range:

Joel Armia- Less physically mature, a worse skater, ultimately possesses around the same kind of goal-scoring upside (25-30 goals).

Sven Bartschi- Bartschi plays like he's Saad's size and vice versa, but I don't see Bartschi playing on an NHL team's first line. You're looking at a similar 2nd/3rd line type.

Matt Puempel- Similar consistency issues, smaller frame, but more overall skill and hockey sense. I'd take Puempel, but I can see why an NHL team might prefer Saad.

Nicklas Jensen- Jensen is bigger but rawer physically, isn't as good a skater, and is about as rough intangibles-wise. I'd take Saad because I think he possesses the higher overall potential.

Tyler Biggs- A borderline 1st round player for me. If Saad's risky, Biggs is a shot in the dark.

To summarize, I'd say 10-15 is a reach but understandable based on Saad's overall skillset, 16-19 is about where he should go, and 19+ is terrific value.

As an Oilers fan, I'd select Saad at 19 (barring the availability of a bluechip defender). Yes, we have Hall and Paajarvi who fill the same sort of mold, but both are still very much unknowns at this point. Even if they push Saad to the 3rd line... well, that's not really a problem, is it? You can never have too many 6'2, 210 lbs wingers who can skate and shoot at an NHL level.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

I'd rather draft a long shot skilled russian. At least there is a slim chance that the russian can contribute one day.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:52 PM
TMLOBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies90 View Post
Fighters are pointless to draft.
If only the Nordiques knew this. Then maybe they'd still have a team.. you know who I'm talking about.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Jibby95

Does it rhyme with ''Blade Kneeback''?

(lol)

Old
06-07-2011, 05:59 PM
TMLOBI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies90 View Post
Does it rhyme with ''Blade Kneeback''?

(lol)

maybe

Although the idea of getting a Leafs jersey with Kramer on the back would be funny.. I'd go troll some comedy clubs!

Old
06-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Jibby95

omg lol didnt even think of that, that would be awesome.

Old
06-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

no thanks, we have orr and then rosehill in our system we are good for now.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:25 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
Good write up by Mr Bugg.
I dont think Saad will end up a leaf, I think Burke will be going after Puempel.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
I dont think Saad will end up a leaf, I think Burke will be going after Puempel.
same thought.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafssss View Post
Why would Hawks give up a high 2nd (36th or 43rd) for that package?

Old
06-07-2011, 08:41 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Quote:
Who is this Dimise? Does he play in the Dub? Sounds French to me.

What can you tell us about him, PapaLeaf?

Old
06-07-2011, 09:51 PM
deadp0ol

Quote:
soo many things wrong about this statement
- portland played 21 games ross missed 5 (21/2 =/= 16)
- ross is an agitator not a goal scorer
- ross was a point per game when he clearly is the 3rd on skill on that line
- what happened to the two best junior age players? why would ross be held accountable for missing 5 games? its a 20 man team not 2.
- the leafs had the best d on paper in the east last season. what happened?
- demise not dimise...

Closed Thread