HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Playoff Discussion part 6

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2011, 01:57 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Still cant get used to Perry Solkowski reporting for CTV Canuck. Its like invasion of the body snatchers. Cam Cole too. **** those guys.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall4 View Post
What a terrible post.

You're more active on the Vancouver board than you are here. Big Oiler fan, I see.
Busted!

06-07-2011, 02:02 AM
md3k*

Quote:
What a terrible post.

You're more active on the Vancouver board than you are here. Big Oiler fan, I see.
Been here for half my life and go to many Oilers games each year. I want nothing more than to see the Oilers succeed and be a cup contender. I'd be rooting for the Oilers just as hard as the Nucks if they were in the playoffs. Seeing and hearing from so many stubborn Vancouver hating Oiler fans does get frustrating though .

Old
06-07-2011, 02:02 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Just throwing this out there... has anybody in here ever felt threatened at the Saddledome while wearing Oilers colours?

My experiences have gone by without incident.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:08 AM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Just throwing this out there... has anybody in here ever felt threatened at the Saddledome while wearing Oilers colours?

Pretty innocent. Been to 3-4 games there. Always in my oil jersey. I love the bantering between fans, totally makes the experience of going to an oppositions arena.

Except for that time MacT grabbed that dogs tongue.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:10 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by md3k View Post
Been here for half my life and go to many Oilers games each year. I want nothing more than to see the Oilers succeed and be a cup contender. I'd be rooting for the Oilers just as hard as the Nucks if they were in the playoffs. Seeing and hearing from so many stubborn Vancouver hating Oiler fans does get frustrating though .
I saw that after I posted, my bad.

I've never gotten the whole "cheer for a team because they play in Canada" argument, though. I didn't for Calgary in 2004 and didn't expect Flames/Canucks fans to cheer for the Oilers in 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99 View Post
Except for that time MacT grabbed that dogs tongue.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:11 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

In my experience Calgary sports fans seem to get more riled up at football games. I've had a couple of verbal tussles with Stampeders fans at Commonwealth. Quite honestly, CFL games aren't very "family friendly" anymore.

Old
taunting canadian

I kind of wish that the first response of fans of a team, when faced with a story about a player's parents being threatened and insulted, was not to leap to the attack against anyone who criticizes the fanbase, rather than attacking the idiots who did that. Things would ring a lot more true if any time a Canucks fan did say something negative about those idiots, it wasn't tacked onto a post whose main content was whining about how unfair people are being to the Vancouver fans.

Old
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by md3k View Post
This demonstrates that you aren't an Oiler fan.

And that's no disrespect, but even though I can cheer for a team like Boston right now, they will never get the same cheers I will give the Oilers.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Toydarian

My goodness, the Playoffs board is virtually unreadable. The game 3 GDT feels like an elementary playground.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:16 AM
nullterm

Quote:
In my experience Calgary sports fans seem to get more riled up at football games. I've had a couple of verbal tussles with Stampeders fans at Commonwealth. Quite honestly, CFL games aren't very "family friendly" anymore.
Yeah, I've heard similar comments about Esks games listening on 1260 over the web. CFL really makes an effort of marketing itself to kids, tickets are more reasonable, but yet the drunken fans really ruin it.

My dad took me to a bunch of Esk games as a kid and it was always a great time. Hope it gets sorted out.

Old
06-07-2011, 02:24 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
My goodness, the Playoffs board is virtually unreadable. The game 3 GDT feels like an elementary playground.
i wonder how many infractions were handed out tonight.

Shouldn't laugh too hard, got one after game 2

Old
06-07-2011, 02:37 AM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
This demonstrates that you aren't an Oiler fan.

And that's no disrespect, but even though I can cheer for a team like Boston right now, they will never get the same cheers I will give the Oilers.
Ya, I actually hit my head on the ceiling when Pisani scored in OT... I jumped that high... it was ridiculous what kind of emotion came out of me that day/week. Can't wait for that again.

Old
06-07-2011, 03:54 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Figures that this would be the one game that I miss.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:07 AM
Peter The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinkOfGreatness View Post
Ok, I'm a Swede and I like the twins but this was a great and cool sequence. :-)

Respect.

Winner instinct, determination and controlled agressiveness from Tim Thomas.

Old
06-07-2011, 06:20 AM
oilphan

Would Vancouver stand even a chance if 2 of Boston's best players were not injured (Horton and Savard)?

Old
06-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

vCash: 450
Quote:

My brother lives in Calgary and I think he mentioned that one time he and his son were spit on. and the comments, well I think that goes without saying. just like I've seen Calgary fans here treated to some pretty nasty comments.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullterm View Post
Yeah, I've heard similar comments about Esks games listening on 1260 over the web. CFL really makes an effort of marketing itself to kids, tickets are more reasonable, but yet the drunken fans really ruin it.

My dad took me to a bunch of Esk games as a kid and it was always a great time. Hope it gets sorted out.
not always the really drunk fans. you wouldn't believe the language most everyone spews out in front of kids. Just have a little respect, people. (althought I'd say at least half of those apologized when they were told a child was nearby and they then tried to be better. so that's cool)

Old
06-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Gord
failed rebuild

back to playoff discussion, the rome hit make me realize how hard it is for a hockey player right now.
I feel that the penalty on the play was sufficient. a late but clean hit. but I never know now what may be considered excessive and a offense worth further punishment.
I'm really starting to think hitting will be phased out of the game.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Asher

Quote:
Here's a link mentioning Boychuk's parents.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/201...oyalty-110606/

They were apparently sprayed with beer and threatened outside the arena.

Did anyone beat down Cam Ward's parents in 2006? Maybe the Oilers would have won the Cup.
"If you did a poll in Canada, maybe the West Coast would be for the Canucks, but everything east of Manitoba would be Bruins fans," Mark Beaudoin, himself loyal to the Bruins, told CTV News.

East of Manitoba? I think he meant to say East of BC.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:22 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
"If you did a poll in Canada, maybe the West Coast would be for the Canucks, but everything east of Manitoba would be Bruins fans," Mark Beaudoin, himself loyal to the Bruins, told CTV News.

East of Manitoba? I think he meant to say East of BC.
Honestly, I'd think it'd be the other way around.

There is no love loss between the Bruins & the Habs and Leafs, who dominate Eastern Canadian hockey fans. If anything, I saw a marked upshift in Canucks support throughout the Eastern parts of Canada because the Bruins were the opponent. Not to mention, if the Bruins lose, the Leafs pick at 29 instead of 30.

Nobody hates Vancouver more than Edmonton and Calgary.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Honestly, I'd think it'd be the other way around.

There is no love loss between the Bruins & the Habs and Leafs, who dominate Eastern Canadian hockey fans. If anything, I saw a marked upshift in Canucks support throughout the Eastern parts of Canada because the Bruins were the opponent. Not to mention, if the Bruins lose, the Leafs pick at 29 instead of 30.

Nobody hates Vancouver more than Edmonton and Calgary.
The teams out East aren't exposed to the Canucks enough to really know what they're all about. As the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt. I did a fair amount of reading of the Bruins' GDT yesterday and can't tell you how many posts I read from Bruin fans saying they had no idea the Nucks were as classless, cowardly, cheapshot artists, divers, etc... basically all the things we say about them here. I don't think the Canucks have gained many Eastern fans from this new level of exposure. If anything they've gained more haters.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Pretty sur my 4yr old nephew learned how to swear at the labour day game we took him to. He was impressed with how the cops man handled a couple of drunks.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Krut

Quote:

I've been to three Oil games at the Saddledome with an Oiler jersey on and haven't had any real problems. Just some innocent banter back and fourth. Stampeders games on the other hand are a whole different story.

Old
06-07-2011, 08:43 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
There's no question in my mind that there will be a suspension for Aaron Rome because his hit on Nathan Horton was late. The National Hockey League has a standard, and that standard is any hit beyond half a second after the player has released the puck leads to an interference penalty. This was almost a full second.

The above is via Bob McKenzie. Now I haven't re-watched the hit, but I thought it was clean yesterday. Late sure, but not all that dirty. So if the standard is half a second and McKezie states "almost a full second" then why exactly should there be a suspension? Isn't that what the penalty is for? My other question is if they are going to give a penalty/suspension based on a hit that is not even a second after the puck is played then why aren't they calling the other 30 hits a game that don't result in injury? By the book isn't it at least a 2min interference?

Closed Thread