HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ville Leino

Old
06-23-2011, 01:36 PM
gsharpe

vCash: 500
Ville Leino

Canucks fan in peace.

Just wondering if I could get a scouting report on this guy and maybe what kind of contract he'd be looking for.

Specifically I'm wondering about is offensive ceiling, grit/determination, injury concerns, and overall character. Offensive style would also be useful as we are looking for a playmaking winger with speed for Kesler.

Thanks in advance.

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:50 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

20 goal winger, could hit 50 pts. depending on linemates. Wouldn't call him speedy but he's really hard to knock off the puck, so he helps keep sustained pressure. No injury concerns that I can think of.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:53 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1071
Has strong puck control and vision. Played his best when on a line with Briere and Hartnell.

Had hip surgery after the 2010 playoffs.

This was recent speculation by one of the beat writers...

http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...|text|Sports|p

Quote:
And then there is the issue of unrestricted free agent Ville Leino.

He wants $3.5 million and, despite a late-season swoon that saw him finish with 19 goals and just three in the playoffs, he could get close to that on the open market. The Flyers would like to keep Leino's salary at about $2.5 million, and it could be difficult to bridge that gap between now and July 1.

If Leino is not re-signed, the Flyers could give his ice time to Matt Read, a highly coveted center the club signed out of Bemidji (Minn.) State, outbidding several NHL teams with a one-way, three-year NHL contract that carries a $900,000 cap hit if Read is on the NHL roster.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
20 goal winger, could hit 50 pts. depending on linemates. Wouldn't call him speedy but he's really hard to knock off the puck, so he helps keep sustained pressure. No injury concerns that I can think of.
His hip.

06-23-2011, 02:09 PM
gsharpe

Doesn't really sound like the answer for our second line problems. Although it was give us at least a different kind of winger to try with Kesler. For 3M a year for 2-3 years may be worth it.

Thanks again.

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
dookie88

From the top of my head:

Not the fastest skater, but very shifty and strong on his feet.

Is surprisingly strong along the boards.

Very good around the net and in-close, has an average shot.

Underrated defensively, his stick-lift is great and despite his lack of top-end speed he's pretty good on the backcheck.

Usually not physical at all, although he was good on the forecheck in the 09-10 playoffs.

Great passer, great vision, tends to overpass.

Biggest downfall is his tendency to turn the puck over in dangerous situations.

I see him strictly as a complementary forward, I don't think he would be a mistake at $3mil per year on a shorter contract.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:26 PM
The Red Line

Wings fan here. We all had very high hopes for him as a secondary scorer, but it never happened in Detroit.

I know he was pretty much universally berated for his work ethic and laziness in Detroit. He even played on lines with Datsyuk and Zetterberg and could never quite get it going.

Complete turnaround in Philly, not sure exactly what the problem was - team system, coaching, pressure, linemates, etc.

He certainly won't be the answer to any glaring team problems, but given the proper linemates and motivation he has shown he is a capable secondary scorer, even if he goes missing for stretches.

The Red Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:28 PM
DUHockey9

True puck posession player. So much so that it's frustrating at times when he should just dump the puck, or tries to hold onto it and it results in a turnover. Very good offensive skills though. 20 goal 50pt sort of player. My guess is he will come in around 3.25 million.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote