Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
11-25-2011, 02:54 PM
PacoSanchez15

vCash: 500
Couple of tweets from a local sports writer in the Sault:

Quote:
Had a chat with Ted Baker at the OHL office. He mentioned that had there not been an injury, Darnell Nurse like wouldn't have been suspended
Quote:
Reason being there was no penalty given at the time and the league has no intention of re-refereeing games
So there you have it, had no injury occurred there would not have been a suspension.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoSanchez15 View Post
So there you have it, had no injury occurred there would not have been a suspension.
Which is the wrong way to go about it. They should be punishing based on the act. Whether or not an injury happens should be irrelevant when deciding if and how long a suspension should be.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Jack Daniels

Where is thibodeau playing?

Jack Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2011, 09:03 PM
HLLYWD99

Must have been a bomb threat in the Sault tonight I have never seen an arena clear out that fast.

HLLYWD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 06:19 AM
SimonTemplar

Are the Hounds officially in a slump yet. Since their big win in London they are something like 1-5...ouch.

Now the heat will be cranked up on Kyle for sending all that bounty to Windsor when he should of been adding scoring.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2011, 02:28 PM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
Where is thibodeau playing?
Nowhere as far as I know. He's been removed from the roster but there hasn't been any announcement by the team whether he was put on waivers like there was in the past.

Old
11-27-2011, 02:35 PM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
Are the Hounds officially in a slump yet. Since their big win in London they are something like 1-5...ouch.

Now the heat will be cranked up on Kyle for sending all that bounty to Windsor when he should of been adding scoring.
Since that London game this team has looked brutal outside the Brampton game. The effort last night was just not there other than about 5 minutes in the 3rd period. When guys like Kantor and Quesnele are the best on the ice you are in trouble. Murray definitely didn't have a good night, looked bad on 4 of the 5 goals but the team didn't do him any favours either.

I won't be surprised to see some trades in the near future if they can't get this thing turned around soon. Broll has been absolutely useless this year. Findlay is starting to look lost out there. If they could add someone like Spooner they should be all over it.

Old
11-29-2011, 05:17 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Since that London game this team has looked brutal outside the Brampton game. The effort last night was just not there other than about 5 minutes in the 3rd period. When guys like Kantor and Quesnele are the best on the ice you are in trouble. Murray definitely didn't have a good night, looked bad on 4 of the 5 goals but the team didn't do him any favours either.

I won't be surprised to see some trades in the near future if they can't get this thing turned around soon. Broll has been absolutely useless this year. Findlay is starting to look lost out there. If they could add someone like Spooner they should be all over it.
I have been saying since September that team needs more snipes. Cousins would be a 3rd or 4th on some of these loaded teams so that goes to show how shallow Kyle has that front end up there. They have some good prospects but they don't win you squat in playoffs, he did the goalie move when I thought he should of went hard after McKegg or a Spooner type. McKegg would add a lot more sandpaper in the paint and Cousins has zero of that.....go get some scoring....Kyle should call Mark Hunter...

and I am serious about that.

Old
11-29-2011, 08:27 AM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
I have been saying since September that team needs more snipes. Cousins would be a 3rd or 4th on some of these loaded teams so that goes to show how shallow Kyle has that front end up there. They have some good prospects but they don't win you squat in playoffs, he did the goalie move when I thought he should of went hard after McKegg or a Spooner type. McKegg would add a lot more sandpaper in the paint and Cousins has zero of that.....go get some scoring....Kyle should call Mark Hunter...

and I am serious about that.
Agreed. I was surprised when Dubas made the move to go all in for Campbell as I thought next year would have been the year to make a move like that. Now he's stuck going for a big playoffs this year and this team just doesn't seem to have that high level talent that these other teams seem to have. As much of a nice story Brett Findlay is, being a local undrafted kid and all, he just isn't a 2nd line center on a contending team.

That being said this team can win against any team if they play hard and use their size to punish opposing teams like they did at the start of the year. Problem is it's hard to play 68 games like that as it takes a toll on the entire team. This effort just hasn't been there the last stretch of games.

Old
11-29-2011, 02:15 PM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Agreed. I was surprised when Dubas made the move to go all in for Campbell as I thought next year would have been the year to make a move like that. Now he's stuck going for a big playoffs this year and this team just doesn't seem to have that high level talent that these other teams seem to have. As much of a nice story Brett Findlay is, being a local undrafted kid and all, he just isn't a 2nd line center on a contending team.

That being said this team can win against any team if they play hard and use their size to punish opposing teams like they did at the start of the year. Problem is it's hard to play 68 games like that as it takes a toll on the entire team. This effort just hasn't been there the last stretch of games.
Yes the Greyhounds could be any team on any given night but playoff hockey requires you win four games. When a team doesn't have that high end caliber guys to come through in the crunch then other teams really focus on Cousins. He would be smothered in playoff hockey so Dubas needs to get some help. He also has to make his mind up soon what he plans for deadline. He can switch it out and dump Campbell but that would really hurt his cred, he went all in early and now maybe has to continue that way. Two older scoring forwards would be good start.

Old
11-29-2011, 03:26 PM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
Yes the Greyhounds could be any team on any given night but playoff hockey requires you win four games. When a team doesn't have that high end caliber guys to come through in the crunch then other teams really focus on Cousins. He would be smothered in playoff hockey so Dubas needs to get some help. He also has to make his mind up soon what he plans for deadline. He can switch it out and dump Campbell but that would really hurt his cred, he went all in early and now maybe has to continue that way. Two older scoring forwards would be good start.
Dubas pretty much made it clear the team as it stands now has this week/weekend of games to start playing better or there will be changes made.

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3386109

Regardless of what happens this weekend, I still expect at least one or two more moves to be made but if they can come out of this weekend with 3 out of 4 wins it probably makes the deals more likely around the deadline.

Old
11-30-2011, 11:00 AM
PacoSanchez15

I was one of the few Hounds fans that questioned the offense this team was going to have and now it's starting to show that this team isn't as deep and talented as some thought.

They've fallen to 2nd lowest goals for in the West with a lot of guys that were expected to contribute haven't. Broll with 1 goal, Findlay started strong but since come down to earth. Alderson has really slowed down, Durocher has bounced around the lines. I expected more offense from Curcuruto.

The only guy that I would say has exceeded my expectations is Schumacher.

Old
12-01-2011, 05:08 AM
SimonTemplar

And now there are a few players to be on the move from twitter noise recently.

McKegg/ Spooner and others with Ottawa involved.....the Soo could outbid them but it would take prospects to land either.

Ryan Spooner may be too top end for Dubas's project but Greg McKegg plays the Soo style and could be had for a young D and 2 2nds.

Old
12-01-2011, 11:22 AM
hockeylegend11

Sources tell me that Chad thibodeau has been dealt to Sudbury for 2 draft picks

looking to confirm

hockeylegend11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Sources tell me that Chad thibodeau has been dealt to Sudbury for 2 draft picks

looking to confirm
Its done. A 6th and a 15th. 6th belongs to Niagara.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Ward Cornell

Maybe totally unrelated but I wonder what's the Hounds record with and without Thibideau. It seems their tailspin started to happen when Thibideau was taken off the roster!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
saska sault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Maybe totally unrelated but I wonder what's the Hounds record with and without Thibideau. It seems their tailspin started to happen when Thibideau was taken off the roster!
For a kid who has 5 career OHL points, ill take the picks... as for our record, I think it has more to do with suspensions and injuries. We are still only a 3 or 4 game winning streak out of 3rd or 4th in the West.. its a tight conference which many predicted. I wouldn't hit the panic button yet, this weekend will show what this team has.. if come out 1-2 or 0-3 then I will be worried.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:49 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
For a kid who has 5 career OHL points, ill take the picks... as for our record, I think it has more to do with suspensions and injuries. We are still only a 3 or 4 game winning streak out of 3rd or 4th in the West.. its a tight conference which many predicted. I wouldn't hit the panic button yet, this weekend will show what this team has.. if come out 1-2 or 0-3 then I will be worried.
Saskasault

better be worried after hounds go 0-2-0-1 on weekend

bonehead play by Cousins,automatic suspension

Even though Hounds have games in hand Spits now have passed Hounds in

standings

hockeylegend11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 03:55 PM
saska sault

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Saskasault

better be worried after hounds go 0-2-0-1 on weekend

bonehead play by Cousins,automatic suspension

Even though Hounds have games in hand Spits now have passed Hounds in

standings
I am officially worried... team has some serious problems, and I personally think the coaching staff is not doing their job properly. We never had this problem with Craig Hartsburg around, and we had far less talented teams that did alot more. No accountability, no discipline.

Old
12-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
I am officially worried... team has some serious problems, and I personally think the coaching staff is not doing their job properly. We never had this problem with Craig Hartsburg around, and we had far less talented teams that did alot more. No accountability, no discipline.
Second coach in two years however. At some point the players need to be held accountable.

I didn't mention it at the time, but I do think the London game had a negative impact on the team. It's tough going into battle for someone who won't go into battle for himself or for you.

I can also say that the constant focus by a member of the media taking pot shot at the organization isn't helping moral in theroom. As much as they try to ignore it, his rants do make it into the room and do cause issues.

Old
12-04-2011, 04:24 PM
saska sault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Second coach in two years however. At some point the players need to be held accountable.

I didn't mention it at the time, but I do think the London game had a negative impact on the team. It's tough going into battle for someone who won't go into battle for himself or for you.
Without a doubt it had a negative impact.. certainly did not have a positive impact. As for Cousins, beginning to really dislike his effect on this time.. I still like him, and alot of what he brings, but it is starting to be too much. He either needs to drop the mitts or just stop costing this team.

Old
12-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Without a doubt it had a negative impact.. certainly did not have a positive impact. As for Cousins, beginning to really dislike his effect on this time.. I still like him, and alot of what he brings, but it is starting to be too much. He either needs to drop the mitts or just stop costing this team.
Personality wise, I'm told players like him. But, I can say that it's hard for them to continue to have to stick up for him physically. It's hard when you have to drop the gloves, or have to stick up for someone who is constantly starting things up.

I'd be interested to see if Cousins could be as good of a player if he toned down his actions a touch.

Old
12-04-2011, 05:24 PM
saska sault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
Personality wise, I'm told players like him. But, I can say that it's hard for them to continue to have to stick up for him physically. It's hard when you have to drop the gloves, or have to stick up for someone who is constantly starting things up.

I'd be interested to see if Cousins could be as good of a player if he toned down his actions a touch.
For him to be as effective as he has been in the past, he needs to talk and be himself.. but the Rupert incident, slew footing, the diving against Kitchener is too much. You can play the game, be a pest and still be respectable and not have a bulls eye on you from the ref's. Cousins has not realized this, and continues to cost the team.

Old
12-04-2011, 10:24 PM
dogsandwings

I did see the play Cousins was tossed for on tv..didn't look like much and the Sarnia announcers also stated if it was not Couisns it was best a 2 minute penalty..The knee on Cousins seemed a worse play but the refs are calling Cousins on his reputation not the facts..
That being said being tossed probably cost them the game..who do you blame the refs or Cousins?? Take your choice....Cousins because he has a rep..or the referees who obviously are bias....it is the fans of all cities who pay the price for inept officials.
I am more concerned about what is happening with other members of the team..breaking team rules etc....there is something obviously wrong with the leadership on this team. I do believe it is time for a shakeup or at this rate we will be lucky to make the playoffs let alone contend..(That's a word i hope no one connected to this team uses until they put together a 2 game winning streak..at least)
But this is the fun of junior hockey..next week they may look like Champions again
Just one word ot Kyle Dubas..if they don't win another game or 2 by New Years please consider trading Campbell for a goal scorer.
In any case see you Wednesday..lets hope this skid has finally "Hit Bottom"
Junior hockey can be fun..but this league is now making me long for the WHL..a l eague certainly more tolerant of physical.. abrasive play

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandwings View Post
I did see the play Cousins was tossed for on tv..didn't look like much and the Sarnia announcers also stated if it was not Couisns it was best a 2 minute penalty..The knee on Cousins seemed a worse play but the refs are calling Cousins on his reputation not the facts..
That being said being tossed probably cost them the game..who do you blame the refs or Cousins?? Take your choice....Cousins because he has a rep..or the referees who obviously are bias....it is the fans of all cities who pay the price for inept officials.
I am more concerned about what is happening with other members of the team..breaking team rules etc....there is something obviously wrong with the leadership on this team. I do believe it is time for a shakeup or at this rate we will be lucky to make the playoffs let alone contend..(That's a word i hope no one connected to this team uses until they put together a 2 game winning streak..at least)
But this is the fun of junior hockey..next week they may look like Champions again
Just one word ot Kyle Dubas..if they don't win another game or 2 by New Years please consider trading Campbell for a goal scorer.
In any case see you Wednesday..lets hope this skid has finally "Hit Bottom"
Junior hockey can be fun..but this league is now making me long for the WHL..a l eague certainly more tolerant of physical.. abrasive play
If they trade Campbell weeks after trading for him, what message does that send to any other player who they convince to waive a no trade cause? How can anyone take him at his word? How will he be able to recuit other top end Americans?

Campbell has been great in the Soo, how does trading him in the final year of his OHL career help the Soo? Why would a rebuilding team want a gaoltender who has 3-4 monthe left in the league? They want youngsters and picks, not a 19 year old goaltender.

I dont get that at all....

If you want a oal scorer, trade picks, they still have a ton of them.

Last edited by Tigers1992: 12-04-2011 at 11:10 PM.