HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
09-12-2011, 04:58 PM
JSavoire

vCash: 500
Not that people put much into exhibition games but it would be nice to see what teams would look like in exhibition with all the vets in place. At least for a few games. Just my thoughts.

JSavoire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2011, 12:03 AM
saska sault

3-0 for the Hounds, just exhibition but its a good start without our top players. Braid scored 2 more goals, Alderson had some nice ones... Perguini continues to look horrible. Murray is gonna be handed the #1 job he deserves... please move him, and shore up the OA situation ASAP Mr. Dubas.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2011, 01:15 AM
dogsandwings

Judging by the interview Dave Torrie gave to Peter Riccci: the saying "Once a Greyhound..always a Greyhound" does not fit into Mr Torries vocabulary
He also stated indirectly that The Catenacci's have to do what they think is right for their kid....seeing he works for the Sabres i would think that the big question "Why?" has been answered..but raises the question..did he influence the decision by the Catenacci's??

Last edited by dogsandwings: 09-15-2011 at 01:17 AM. Reason: spelling
dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:22 AM
PacoSanchez15

Nishi in, Perugini out. Guess Stapelton and Dubas are confident Murray is ready to handle the #1 job. Going by the exhibition stats they may be right. I don't know much about Nishi but hopefully Murray stays healthy and keeps playing strong otherwise it could be another 10th place finish.

Rumour out there that Chapman has requested a trade as well. He was stuck playing 4th line duties again this year at best. I think Halagian will be given his spot centering the 4th line since he was playing center the last two exhibition games.

And although nothing has been announced Kyle Shaw has been released according to Angelopolous' twitter.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:18 AM
saska sault

Hounds have made cuts, releasing Perguini (passed through waivers), Chapman (claimed by Sarnia) and Kyle Shaw

Roster now stands at 27 players, about 4 forwards still need to be cut, my guesses; Angelopolous, Sulmonte (traded for a pick?), Thibodeau, and Quesnele and Campbell (free agent invite)

For defense I would guess Volpe is moved, we stick with 7 defensemen with Braid being the 7th although he has impressed enough to be a top 6 for now.

Ages are for the 2011/12 Season...

Goaltenders (age)
Matthew Murray(17)
Michael Nishi (17)

Defensemen (age)
Joe Rogalski(20)
Ryan Sproul (18)
Gianluca Curcuruto(17)
Mike Schwindt(20)
Colin Miller(19)
MacKenzie Braid(18)
Darnell Nurse(16)
Patrick Volpe (18)

Center (age)
Nick Cousins (18)
Brett Findlay(19)

Left Wing (age)
Michael Schumacher(18)
Andrew Fritsch(18)
David Broll (18)
Corey Durocher(19)
Nick Halagian(16)
David Quesnele(19)
Chad Thibodeau (18)
Peter Angelopoulos(17)

Right Wing (age)
Carson Dubchak(20)
Michael Kantor(19)
Brandon Alderson(19)
David Elsner(19)
Trevor Morbeck (18)
Tye Campbell(18)
Rudy Sulmonte (19)

Old
09-22-2011, 12:19 AM
saska sault

I took the Depth Chart off the Soo Hounds website, just so ya know

Old
09-22-2011, 04:51 PM
PacoSanchez15

My best guesses at the last few cuts are:

Volpe, Angelopolous (play for T-Birds again?), Campbell and maybe two of Sulmonte/Morbeck/Kantor traded.

Problem is I'm having a hard time coming up with the line combos with the remaining players. I could see someone like Kantor being traded only because he doesn't really bring much offense to the team and he tends to take some dumb penalties. Quesnele finished last season strong and played well in the exhibition games. Sulmonte brings the most offense out of anyone on the bubble.

Broll - Cousins - Fritsch
Durocher - Findlay - Sulmonte/Morbeck
Kantor/Schumacher - Dubchak - Elsner
Quesnele - Halagian - Alderson
Thibodeau

As for Defense:

Sproul - Rogalski
Curcuruto - Miller
Schwindt - Nurse
Braid

Braid has been pretty impressive in the exhibition so he could draw in and let Nurse come along slowly. Miller hasn't been returned yet from the Kings camp so Braid will be in the lineup until then for sure.

Old
09-22-2011, 05:07 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
Hounds have made cuts, releasing Perguini (passed through waivers), Chapman (claimed by Sarnia) and Kyle Shaw

Roster now stands at 27 players, about 4 forwards still need to be cut, my guesses; Angelopolous, Sulmonte (traded for a pick?), Thibodeau, and Quesnele and Campbell (free agent invite)

For defense I would guess Volpe is moved, we stick with 7 defensemen with Braid being the 7th although he has impressed enough to be a top 6 for now.

Ages are for the 2011/12 Season...

Goaltenders (age)
Matthew Murray(17)
Michael Nishi (17)

Defensemen (age)
Joe Rogalski(20)
Ryan Sproul (18)
Gianluca Curcuruto(17)
Mike Schwindt(20)
Colin Miller(19)
MacKenzie Braid(18)
Darnell Nurse(16)
Patrick Volpe (18)

Center (age)
Nick Cousins (18)
Brett Findlay(19)

Left Wing (age)
Michael Schumacher(18)
Andrew Fritsch(18)
David Broll (18)
Corey Durocher(19)
Nick Halagian(16)
David Quesnele(19)
Chad Thibodeau (18)
Peter Angelopoulos(17)

Right Wing (age)
Carson Dubchak(20)
Michael Kantor(19)
Brandon Alderson(19)
David Elsner(19)
Trevor Morbeck (18)
Tye Campbell(18)
Rudy Sulmonte (19)
I am guessing a 23 or 24 man roster

I think Thibodeau and Quesnelle make it because they can be brought in and out of the lineup with out many issues as they are proto typical 4th line players.

My guess is Volpe, Angelopolos and Campbell will be cut and one of Sulmonte or Morbeck will be traded.

Last edited by richardn: 09-23-2011 at 12:29 AM.
richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:06 PM
hockeylegend11

Hounds have traded a 5th in 2012 to saginaw for RW Alex Morgan

Morgan currently plays for the Chatham Maroons-Western JR B

The 94-born winger was drafted in the 9th rd in 2010 by the Spirit

Only drafted later because of Ncaa possibles

He is a 3 sport Athlete,track and baseball,besides hockey and is getting attention

scholarship in all 3

He is a big,tough winger who can score and is OHL ready

I think the Hounds may have got a steal here

I heard there were more then 10 teams looking to acquire him

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 04:03 PM
PacoSanchez15

Any word on whether he's willing to report this year or is he better suited to play another year in Chatham?

Sounds like an interesting prospect, too bad he's not a center though. The Hounds are very weak in that position.

Old
09-23-2011, 04:31 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoSanchez15 View Post
Any word on whether he's willing to report this year or is he better suited to play another year in Chatham?

Sounds like an interesting prospect, too bad he's not a center though. The Hounds are very weak in that position.
I beleive he is ready to report

and he is ready playing ability wise too

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:17 PM
saska sault

1-1 so far, all the new Hounds are doing the scoring. Cousins off to a slow start, so is Fritsch... which means our depth will hopefully carry us. Looks like we will be able to roll 4 lines most of the year.

Old
09-25-2011, 11:34 PM
dogsandwings

Not bad a split on the road ..don't think some of these guys ever saw the same ice this year..they will only get better ..hey nice to get some Imports that can score..
Goaltending looks good ..hope the new backup has some skill.Dubas's newcomers look good so far..Alderson and Durocher.imports..drafts..

Old
09-26-2011, 12:03 PM
saska sault

Looks like alot of Hounds will be placed on waivers.

http://www.saultstar.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3311760

I see how some people are worried about Morbeck, but he is in his 3rd year, and is only 17. Hes a big kid, who is not draft eligible until the end of the year, no way he is released. I say Sulmonte, Campbell, Thibodeau, Angelopolous, Quesnele, Volpe are moved, while newly acquired Morgan stays at home this year. We are very short on centers, but we are going to have to convert some players to that position. I like the make up of our squad, besides that fact.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
PacoSanchez15

Definitely sounds like Sulmonte and Campbell will be gone. I think they'll ask Angelopolous to play for the T-Birds again and can be called up if there are injuries.

I think Kantor could be another one that may be on his way out of town. He's been playing on the 4th line and has managed to take 4 minor penalties already. He can be replaced by Morgan.

Volpe is at the bottom of the list as far as the defence goes so I wouldn't be too shocked to see his name on waivers.

I think he hangs on to Quesnele and Thibodeau. They'll likely rotate in and out of the lineup on the 4th line with Halagian.

As for Morbeck, he's just never impressed me that much. He doesn't seem to fit anywhere, stuck in between the top 6 role and bottom 6 role. Not enough offense to play the top two lines and not enough toughness/grittiness for the bottom two lines. He was playing on the 3rd line the first two games but once Broll's healthy Alderson or Schumacher will drop down pushing Morbeck either out of the lineup or to the 4th line. Can't imagine he'll like that in his draft year.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:27 PM
saska sault

My prediciton for forwards: Cousins, Findlay, Dubchak, Schumacher, Fritsch, Broll, Durocher, Halagian, Kantor, Alderson, Elsner, Morbeck, Morgan (if he plays this year)... thats 13 forwards all very capable players. Morgan and Halagian most likely limited to 4th line this year, as rookies. Everyone else is interchangeable depending on whos hot and cold. I see no reason to keep Quesnele or Sulmonte here, possibly last year in the OHL for both, why give them ice time when their limits are in the 10 goal range? Dubas wants continued success and so do the fans, so let guys who will be around long term play those 3rd and 4th line minutes. Angelopolous would be fine to play another year with the T-birds and rotate in and out if he is o.k. with that. That would give us another option long term, or with injuries, or after the trade deadline. Thibodeau is a guy who would be nice to have around, but he wont want to go back to the T-birds after a full OHL year, and he isnt worth keeping over about 14-15 guys ahead of him. Volpe has shown nothing in about 2 years, no point in keeping him here, after that our 7 defense look good.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:29 PM
saska sault

As for Kantor, he wont be moved yet. He gets at least until the deadline to prove something. We gave up Archibald for him, and he brings a nice element to this team if he stays out of the box. He can skate, and hit, and is perfect for our 3rd line with a guy like Elsner.

Old
09-26-2011, 01:51 PM
dogsandwings

I love Kantor's aggresiveness..and i doubt if he will be going anywhere..at least i hope not.Hopefully we now have a team that will intimidate some others coming into our arena.Plus it looks like our penalty killing is good this year

Old
09-26-2011, 02:10 PM
PacoSanchez15

Dubas has no allegiance to Kantor. He wasn't the one that traded Archibald for him so if he feels he's too undisciplined I doubt he'll think twice about trading him. The fact he's playing on the 4th line with Broll out of the lineup doesn't bode well for him. Once Broll is back Alderson or Schumacher are likely to bump down to the 3rd line so no room for him there. Other than his hitting he really doesn't bring much else to the lineup, couple that with the dumb penalties he's prone to take his act may wear thin with Dubas and Stapleton.

Morgan has already joined the team, the official news release said he met the team in Oshawa and was coming back to the Soo, so I have to imagine that means he'll be playing for the Hounds this year at some point.

I think Quesnele is kept for two reasons: he's a former client of Dubas' and he brings more offense than most of the bubble players aside from Sulmonte and maybe Morbeck.

Old
09-26-2011, 02:46 PM
saska sault

Kantor did take some dumb penalities, but discipline is something he started to use after he first few games last year. I think he just needs to learn to harness that energy. He was a very effective player post trade deadline last year, and is the kind of player Dubas wants. He said he wants to be a hard team to play against, and Kantor fits that. Having him on the 4th line is not a bad thing on this Hounds team. We are going to roll 4 lines for the most part, and everyone should be getting 13-15 minutes a game. Depth will keep this team successful and allow us to deal with injuries, and players that are cold.. just move a player up a line.. which is something we begged for in past years. Alderson has 3 points in 2 games, and will probably be moved down to the 3rd line because of Broll like you said.. not a bad problem to have.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:25 PM
PacoSanchez15

I like Kantor and it's not that I want to see him go it's just that I would not be surprised to see him go. I don't think he'd be kept for his OA year next year and with the additions of guys like Elsner and Alderson he might not be needed anymore. And to add to it apparently Morgan plays a pretty gritty style game and the fact that Dubas is looking to balance his roster out between the kids and vets.

Old
09-26-2011, 03:50 PM
saska sault

Anythings possible... if Kantor has to go, I could live with that. As long as we do not keep a guy like Quesnele or Sulmonte in his place. Keeping Morgan or Angelopolous (who I am not a big fan of) in place could work out, just for the fact they have 2 years extra of eligibility.

Old
09-26-2011, 04:36 PM
fanofdo

I realize the first two games were away, but does anyone know how has Alderson played?

fanofdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 10:25 PM
saska sault

3 points in 2 games, seems to be parking his butt in front of the net on the PP... good start so far.

Old
09-27-2011, 02:14 AM
richardn

I don't see how people think Thibodeau is going to be cut from the team he is a lock for the team as the team enforcer. I will be blown away if he is cut. They are going to want him in the lineup against certain teams for a presence.

I am thinking this new trade for Alex Morgan spells the end of the line for Sulmonte. Sulmonte didn't even dress with Broll out of the lineup and he is a 19 year old.

Also Quesnelle is going to stay in my oppinion as well he had a solid camp and has a sound two way game plus he is a good PK'er and hard worker. He is also likely not to complain about being scratched.

I have a gut feeling that Morbeck is going to be traded when Broll comes back because he is in his draft year and won't want to play on the 4th line. Morbeck is not a Dubas guy and has been slow to develop and would probably welcome a fresh start. I could also see Kantor possibly being dealt if doesn't accept a spot on the 4th line. Maybee one of these guys are dealt for a 16 or 17 year old center for the 4th line. Morbeck and Kantor should have some pretty good trade value.

Rookie forward Halligian I think could possibly be converted to center for the 4th line and get some PP time to break him into the league.

This is the way I see it

Forward
Fritsch - Cousins - Broll
Schumacher - Findlay - Elsner
Durocher - Dubchuk - Alderson
Quesnele - Halligian - Kantor/Morbeck(one will be traded)

Spares: Thibodeau and Morgan

Defense
Sproul - Curcuruto
Rogalski - Miller
Nurse - Schwindt

Spare: Braid

goal
Murray
Nishi

I hate to see Morbeck go but I don't see how he is going to get the ice time he needs on this team this year unless there is an injury early on. I think he is going to have a good year this year but I just don't see how he fits in. I almost wish Dubas had not have traded for Alderson who is 19 and Morbeck is 17. I think Morbeck at 17 is probably just as good as Alderson at 19.

Last edited by richardn: 09-27-2011 at 02:30 AM.
richardn is offline   Reply With Quote