HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
09-27-2011, 12:58 PM
saska sault

vCash: 500
My prediciton, but I could be wrong is that both Kantor and Morbeck will stay.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:10 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
My prediciton, but I could be wrong is that both Kantor and Morbeck will stay.
I would love to keep both guys as well but I just don't see them being happy playing on the 4th line and if we can get future assets for them it might be a smart move for the future. Morbeck I really want to keep I am very interested to see how he plays this year, he has the potential to be a solid top 6 forward. Plus when you look at the RW position he is the only natural right winger who is currently not 19 on the entire team.

But do you honestly think Morbeck going into his 3rd season as a 17 year old in his draft year is going to want to play on the 4th line? I don't see Dubas trading any of the top 9 wingers to give him the needed ice time.

I guess we will see soon enough but some thing has to give because there is not enough ice time to go arround.

richardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 09:09 PM
saska sault

If your rolling 4 lines, he will still get time. Morbeck seems like the kind of kid who would rather stay here, start on the 4th line and prove himself, and move up a line or two rather then want out. I understand its a bad situation for your draft year, but its a long year of injuries, slumps, trades, tournaments and travel... if he stays he will get his chances.

Old
09-28-2011, 08:46 PM
saska sault

Sulmonte and Campbell cut.. with a rumor that Angelopolous has also been cut.

Old
09-29-2011, 11:34 AM
dogsandwings

Really surprised Sulmonte cleared waivers..perhaps he can land a spot in Quebec??

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2011, 05:41 PM
saska sault

Still 2 or 3 forwards to cut... Quesnele, Thibodeau... who else? Also when do we expect to get down to 7 defense? If we plan to keep 8, that will cause some tension IMO. We have some very capable players on the back end... Rogalski, Schwindt should not sit, as they are vets and OA leaders. Sproul, Curcuruto, and Miller all deserve to play every game and will.. does that mean Braid and Nurse rotate, and Volpe if he stays? Not the best development path for a 3rd overall pick IMO.

Old
09-30-2011, 11:31 AM
PacoSanchez15

Angelopolous cleared waivers. Sounds like Dubas wanted him to go down to Jr. A this year and work on his skating but he feels like he can play in the CHL so he's going to try and find a team in the Q.

With his release the roster is down to 24. Not sure why Volpe hasn't been released yet. I can't see him getting into the lineup unless we absolutely need him because of injuries so if they do let him go that'll get us down to 23 which is about where Dubas wants to be I think.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 12:28 PM
richardn

Good first game. I got to say there defense system looks a lot better then last season. Collin Miller looks like he could arguably be the best dman on the team he was a plus 3 with a very nice goal. If he played like that in LA's training camp its a no wonder he went as far as he did.

I liked the look all 4 lines gave us last night it was a team effort and all 4 lines have size, skill and toughness.

Old
10-01-2011, 09:00 PM
HalbertGil*
crab whom enjoy

3-2 win over Kitchener. Cousins had another nice game for us.

HalbertGil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTONtario View Post
3-2 win over Kitchener. Cousins had another nice game for us.
Glad to hear that. I have to admit I did not know anything about him until he was drafted by the Flyers. Do you think he can play wing? Our center position is fairly deep and if he was to make the team in a few years it would benefit him if he could play wing.

Thanks

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-01-2011, 09:46 PM
saska sault

Cousins has played wing on occasions, and has enough skill he could adjust. He is a darn good center though and I would keep him in his natural position for as long as possible. He is a super pest at the OHL level, with great offensive instincts.

Old
10-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Cousins has played wing on occasions, and has enough skill he could adjust. He is a darn good center though and I would keep him in his natural position for as long as possible. He is a super pest at the OHL level, with great offensive instincts.
Sounds like he has Flyer written all over him.

Thank you very much.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 11:17 AM
richardn

Really liking the blue line it has made a big difference this year in the transition out of there own end. They are really playing a solid team effort in all areas so far. My only beef is they are taking to many penalty's. Braid was one of the best dman in the pre season its a shame he can't even break the top 6 defense. This is the deepest blue line in years in my oppinion.

Old
10-02-2011, 11:58 AM
dogsandwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn View Post
Really liking the blue line it has made a big difference this year in the transition out of there own end. They are really playing a solid team effort in all areas so far. My only beef is they are taking to many penalty's. Braid was one of the best dman in the pre season its a shame he can't even break the top 6 defense. This is the deepest blue line in years in my oppinion.
I agree absolutely..going to be tough to score on this year..and they can pop a few themselves..best PK so far in league..(Got to thank the forwards also)
power play has improved greatly also

Old
10-04-2011, 09:31 PM
saska sault

Good start, would like to get this "W" for Sudbury and go on the road 4-1. Gonna be some tough ones in Missy and London.. would be nice to send a notice to the league. At least lets play some good hockey, and show some people how improved this team is.

Old
10-06-2011, 12:08 PM
dogsandwings

Hey when you win a game you played terrible in ..it is a good sign.last year we lost the ones we played good in..
Lets see how they play in front of 1200 fans...(My prediction for the attendance)

Old
10-09-2011, 03:48 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Good start, would like to get this "W" for Sudbury and go on the road 4-1. Gonna be some tough ones in Missy and London.. would be nice to send a notice to the league. At least lets play some good hockey, and show some people how improved this team is.
So far, not a great weekend. To big losses. Thatll happen thou.

Will the Soo players get tired of Cousins antics? They seem to have to step in for him cause he wont stand up for himself? Not a slam, just a ? Does this allegedly good offensive player always play like this? When a 16 yr old has to help bail you out cause you wont defend yourself, ikes.

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2011, 11:07 PM
dogsandwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Glad to hear that. I have to admit I did not know anything about him until he was drafted by the Flyers. Do you think he can play wing? Our center position is fairly deep and if he was to make the team in a few years it would benefit him if he could play wing.

Thanks
Would you please send the Greyhounds some video of what happened when someone ran Bobby Clarke...Cousins may not make it thru the year unless some of his teammates (and he has lost of big ones) do a slight bit of enforcing

Old
10-10-2011, 07:49 AM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandwings View Post
Would you please send the Greyhounds some video of what happened when someone ran Bobby Clarke...Cousins may not make it thru the year unless some of his teammates (and he has lost of big ones) do a slight bit of enforcing
If Cousins stops playing like a rat there would be no need to stick up for him

Maybe some of his teamates are sick of his act

hockeylegend11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:18 AM
highstickside

Cousin's job is to play like a rat and to score goals. He is their biggest offensive weapon, so you want other guys stepping up for him when he does his agitator thing. Bad tactic for him to be fighting his own battles--let someone who is more expendable sit in the penalty box.

highstickside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 11:25 AM
aresknights

I havent seen Cousins play a lot, maybe 3/4 games, but his antics at times can be effective and on the flip side frustrating to the team.
On one occassion Sunday he makes a nice move on Knights D creates a scoring chance but then gets real lazy on back check will chatting leaving his man AA all alone for a key goal against.
Later while removing his mouthgaurd to chirp at Rupert for being tossed from a faceoff, hes distracted and losses a draw to a winger which results in pressure in the Soo end.
Its OK to be a "pest" but if you dont take care of your own backyard (esp the little things) its gotta wear thin with the staff, players and fans at some point. its a fine art, that role of pest, and few do it perfectly.
That attempted shot at Knights knee late was over the line. Hes not the first or last to take a shot thou. Just wish hed of tried to defend himself against a non fighter at that instead of waiting for a 16 yr old (Nurse) to help pull people off him. And then the chatter again. Im thinking the Knights look to go after him physically next matchup. Hopefully its all clean and within the rules.

Old
10-10-2011, 01:53 PM
KnightRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
I havent seen Cousins play a lot, maybe 3/4 games, but his antics at times can be effective and on the flip side frustrating to the team.
On one occassion Sunday he makes a nice move on Knights D creates a scoring chance but then gets real lazy on back check will chatting leaving his man AA all alone for a key goal against.
Later while removing his mouthgaurd to chirp at Rupert for being tossed from a faceoff, hes distracted and losses a draw to a winger which results in pressure in the Soo end.
Its OK to be a "pest" but if you dont take care of your own backyard (esp the little things) its gotta wear thin with the staff, players and fans at some point. its a fine art, that role of pest, and few do it perfectly.
That attempted shot at Knights knee late was over the line. Hes not the first or last to take a shot thou. Just wish hed of tried to defend himself against a non fighter at that instead of waiting for a 16 yr old (Nurse) to help pull people off him. And then the chatter again. Im thinking the Knights look to go after him physically next matchup. Hopefully its all clean and within the rules.
I watched the game yesterday against London and the first 2 periods of todays game in Kitchener. If Cousins keeps up these antics on the ice, someone is get him. Every time he gets touched on the ice it looks like he got shot. The refs are already catching on. Its too bad, he's got a lot of skill, but he is painful to watch!

KnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 02:24 PM
saska sault

Painful to watch if hes not on your team.... I love the kid. He scores, he passes, he aggravates, he talks alot.

Old
10-10-2011, 02:35 PM
aresknights

Painful to watch as a hockey fan would be more accurate in my case. If he was on a team I cheer Id be left wanting more. High skill set but too many lapses in his game. At times caused by his constant need to try and be a pest. Hell win you some games and definitely lose you some. Hes not unlike other players in this league, he got to mature as a player. Sooner or later hell have to defend his actions.

Old
10-10-2011, 02:42 PM
saska sault

Yah pretty average player..... He talks alot, and takes some dives.. not something most fans like. I dont mind the talking, its part of the sport. The kid has alot of skill, he puts up points. He may not be an elite player, but he can deff. turn into one one day in this league, and as for now, he is a #1 center and is proving he deserves it.