HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
10-10-2011, 08:14 PM
aresknights

vCash: 500
Average player? No he can be better than that. A player Id like on my team? Not with his present style/attitude.

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:24 PM
saska sault

Attitude? He may play a pest role, but that does not have an affect on his relationship with his teammates. He draws alot of penalties, and puts up points, what more do you want from a kid. Im sure most fans could care less if he makes other teams players or fans angry... thats a good thing for us. If he played for London, Knights fans would end up the same way. If players cant control themselves because some one runs there mouth, thats their own problems.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 08:32 PM
saska sault

Like Jeff Hicks tweeted.. he owns the rangers for 2 years now, setting up shop in their head, he could be the most effective player in the league.... he does his job, and does it well. everyone hates him besides his own team, the way hockey should be

Old
10-10-2011, 09:18 PM
OHLTG

If only Nick would back his stuff up. Going down like you're shot when a goalie puts his stick in your chest is embarrassing for hockey fans. If he backed his stuff up, I'd have zero issues, especially given we used to have Ott in Wsr.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2011, 09:52 PM
saska sault

So you cant trash talk, if your not a fighter? Daniel Catenacci does a whole lot when he was here.... alot of players talk trash, and get under opponents skin... Cousins just does it better then most. Anyone who denies he does his job well, is confusing what is reality and how they feel about their team playing against him. Sure its not "hockey code" but, its effective... you can talk, and talk, and not fight, might not be respected by opponents, but gets the job done well. He gets hit alot, and takes his share of beatings, and he keeps going. I think he gets whats coming to him quite often.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:41 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
So you cant trash talk, if your not a fighter?
*you're

If you're not willing to back it up, don't run your mouth. To me, running your mouth, then having your teammates defend you, is as bad as shaking the gloves, having the other guy drop his, then skating away laughing. If you're going to chirp, be able to back yourself up without anyone's help. Look at the Spitfires who were known for that - Downie and Ott, namely. Both could easily go and would easily go. I think Cousins is a solid goal scorer, but don't tell me he's allowed to chirp away without doing anything about it. Even a Spitfire wouldn't do that without hearing from me.

Old
10-10-2011, 10:44 PM
saska sault

Thanks for the spelling lesson, its what I come to this forum for. I recall a player named Ellis who talked ALOT, maybe as much as Cousins. He was a great player, but I remember some Hounds trying to drop the mitts with him and he wanted no part of it.

Old
10-10-2011, 11:10 PM
OHLTG

Don't want the lesson? Don't make the mistake

Ellis talked, sure, but his play and his gloves on occasion backed him up (while stats don't show, I guarantee you he dropped the mitts a few times...and has one more official fight than Cousins). He also didn't turtle when challenged.

Again, I have zero issue with Cousins the goal scorer. I just laugh at the idea that Cousins is this super pest who is going to talk, talk, talk, then let others defend him. Oh, and before you ask, when Ellis chirped and skated away, I got on his case, too, as I have other players in the same situation.

Old
10-11-2011, 12:00 AM
saska sault

I was actually not concerned about the lesson, more the fact that people really find it necessary to correct other members spelling.
Cousins is not a fighter, never will be. Same goes for Ellis, but if it is an effective tool for your game, and your team.. go for it. If you can get under someones skin, and get them of there game its a great tool to have. To think a player cant trash talk, and annoy opponents without having to fight in today's game is a stupid thought. I could care less if you back it up or not, run your mouth all you want. If your out taking runs at players, goalies, that's a different story in my opinion.

Old
10-11-2011, 12:26 AM
OHLTG

The spelling thing isn't personal, just something that's a pet peeve of mine. I've corrected before and I'll correct again. I've seen worse people than me, believe me.

We differ on the pest thing, no question. If you can't back it up, or won't back it up (which appears to be Cousins case), then I don't think you have a right to chirp. Your teammates shouldn't have to be the ones cleaning up your act all the time. It's the same as someone who runs around the playground pushing people and making fun of them, then runs behind the teacher saying "the bully wants to hurt me." Well, don't start stuff if you don't intend on finishing it.

Old
10-11-2011, 08:44 AM
saska sault

Hockey isn't a play ground though. Its a sport, and this is a high level of sport, if you can gain a competitive advantage in any way, why not do it? Like I said before, it may not follow some peoples "hockey code" but a lot of the sport's greatest players use their mouth as a pretty effective tool. I agree if Cousins backed him self up, he would be respected more around the league, but that's not his goal. Maybe one day, someone will catch up to him and injure him and he will change his game? But I doubt it, he has done well for himself playing his game and I see no reason to change.

Old
10-11-2011, 10:28 AM
dogsandwings

Cousins has already stated he loves it when the fans from other teams hate him.
He was the first star yesterday in another teams rink..he is obviously not a fighter and I certainly wouldn't want him to turn into one...that's why we have Broll, Kantor Thibodeau et al on the team
Even in an outlaw motorcycle club there are members who "Take care of business"
... the Mormons had enforcers also
I'm sure no one from the Soo enjoyed Taylor Hall's antics or Ellis...they knew there was someone there to protect them..that's the way it is and makes the game interesting..
Bottom line..99.9 % of the fans here love him..and the opposite is true when he travels..the fans in other cities are doing exactly what he wants...exactly i repeat..so who is controlling who????

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Libbs

So when he gets pumped again by a player, don't use the stance "oh he's picking on poor Nicky Cousins".

You (as in SSM fans, maybe not you personally), we so quick to call Adam Henrique "classless" because he "picked on poor ole 16yo Nicky". Adam plays the game with more class that Cousins ever will.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:07 AM
aresknights

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
I was actually not concerned about the lesson, more the fact that people really find it necessary to correct other members spelling.
Cousins is not a fighter, never will be. Same goes for Ellis, but if it is an effective tool for your game, and your team.. go for it. If you can get under someones skin, and get them of there game its a great tool to have. To think a player cant trash talk, and annoy opponents without having to fight in today's game is a stupid thought. I could care less if you back it up or not, run your mouth all you want. If your out taking runs at players, goalies, that's a different story in my opinion.[/
Like trying to slew foot/knee Jared Knight late in the 3rd down 3 goals? And then chirpin and turtling?

Last edited by aresknights: 10-11-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old
10-11-2011, 11:14 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Attitude? He may play a pest role, but that does not have an affect on his relationship with his teammates. He draws alot of penalties, and puts up points, what more do you want from a kid. Im sure most fans could care less if he makes other teams players or fans angry... thats a good thing for us. If he played for London, Knights fans would end up the same way. If players cant control themselves because some one runs there mouth, thats their own problems.
I didnt say his teammates dont like his attitude. I stated earlier they may grow tired of it esp when it can cost his team and subject them to having to defend him. Maybe theyll tolerate it maybe theyll grow tired. I dont care.
I dont like his style/attitude on the ice. NOt a fan of it even if he played in London. Not sure why you assume almost all fans would love him on their team.
If he played like Cooke,Ott, Clarkson, Duco, Foreman et al I wouldnt have as mcuh an issue with it. I dont like how he plays. No big deal.
We have a differing opinion here, you feel no matter the style I as a fan would like him on my team and I know I wouldnt. So were good, you can cheer for him, and I can wish he never plays in London

Old
10-11-2011, 12:07 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Hockey isn't a play ground though. Its a sport, and this is a high level of sport, if you can gain a competitive advantage in any way, why not do it? Like I said before, it may not follow some peoples "hockey code" but a lot of the sport's greatest players use their mouth as a pretty effective tool. I agree if Cousins backed him self up, he would be respected more around the league, but that's not his goal. Maybe one day, someone will catch up to him and injure him and he will change his game? But I doubt it, he has done well for himself playing his game and I see no reason to change.
How many NHL players use their mouth, but don't drop the mitts? I can't think of many. Even Sean Avery goes on occasion.

[QUOTE]I'm sure no one from the Soo enjoyed Taylor Hall's antics or Ellis...they knew there was someone there to protect them..that's the way it is and makes the game interesting..[QUOTE]

You remember when Hall dropped the mitts with Dubchek and Leo Jenner? What about Derek Dorsett last year? Hall is more than willing to back himself up.

If fans want to enjoy that style of chirp and never back it up, that's your choice. Just don't say a word against any player if he says something to the wrong guy and gets beaten to a pulp. If Adam Henrique did that to him, imagine what an actual fighter would do? Chirping and backing it up is fine. Chirping and running, hoping someone will clean up your mess, is a risky game.

Old
10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
How many NHL players use their mouth, but don't drop the mitts? I can't think of many. Even Sean Avery goes on occasion.

I'm sure no one from the Soo enjoyed Taylor Hall's antics or Ellis...they knew there was someone there to protect them..that's the way it is and makes the game interesting.

You remember when Hall dropped the mitts with Dubchek and Leo Jenner? What about Derek Dorsett last year? Hall is more than willing to back himself up.

If fans want to enjoy that style of chirp and never back it up, that's your choice. Just don't say a word against any player if he says something to the wrong guy and gets beaten to a pulp. If Adam Henrique did that to him, imagine what an actual fighter would do? Chirping and backing it up is fine. Chirping and running, hoping someone will clean up your mess, is a risky game.
What attracted a lot of fans to the game of hockey is the honour and integrity of the players. The league was filled with players that would give "it" but had zero issues in taking "it". To use a term loosely here...hockey was man's game.
Nick Cousins reminds me of a grade 8 bully who runs to a teacher when a grade 1 stands up to him!
I'm actually astounded that a proud hockey fan base who likes tough players/hockey are actually lauding a player like Cousins!

Not only Cousins run and hide antics a reflection on him but it also reflects on the Soo fans.....or is it now the "Suzie" fans?

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 02:41 PM
aresknights

Quote:
What competitive advantage did he gain Friday by chirping, being lazy on the back check and attempting to injure someone with a cheap shot?

Old
10-11-2011, 02:44 PM
aresknights

If anything he hurt his team that day and they got smoked.

Old
10-11-2011, 03:30 PM
saska sault

Once again, I am going to bow out of this conversation.

Moving on, 2 big games this weekend. We SHOULD beat the Fronts, but still gotta come up hard, and Barrie should be a good game as they have the top 3 scorers in the league I believe. Will be nice to see Ekblad first person, and see if the hype is worthy.

Old
10-11-2011, 09:54 PM
dogsandwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
What attracted a lot of fans to the game of hockey is the honour and integrity of the players. The league was filled with players that would give "it" but had zero issues in taking "it". To use a term loosely here...hockey was man's game.
Nick Cousins reminds me of a grade 8 bully who runs to a teacher when a grade 1 stands up to him!
I'm actually astounded that a proud hockey fan base who likes tough players/hockey are actually lauding a player like Cousins!

Not only Cousins run and hide antics a reflection on him but it also reflects on the Soo fans.....or is it now the "Suzie" fans?
That's funny...someone who doesn't like what Cousins does and does exactly the same thing...best laugh i've had so far today

Old
10-11-2011, 11:42 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandwings View Post
That's funny...someone who doesn't like what Cousins does and does exactly the same thing...best laugh i've had so far today
Where in that post did he run away?

Old
10-12-2011, 11:30 AM
dogsandwings

I get it now Don Cherry is coaching some of the posters..

Old
10-12-2011, 12:26 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsandwings View Post
I get it now Don Cherry is coaching some of the posters..
Ummm, what the hell are you talking about?

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
dogsandwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Ummm, what the hell are you talking about?
Supposed to be the manly sport of hockey which ladies now play quite well