Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Soo Greyhounds 2011-12 Season Thread

Old
10-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Tigers1992

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Ummm, what the hell are you talking about?
+1. Completely lost.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 01:43 PM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
+1. Completely lost.
Make that three lost on this one.

One thing has always been very clear in Hockey and that's " runna da mouth " pay the price. Every Dog has his day and eventually the runna da mouth will catch up to Cousins. Playing forward he will become a target across the middle and you can lay money on it, someone will take exception to his yapping.

The worst part for Soo fans in all this , the more is continues it will begin to take away from Cousins bread and butter. Open ice and Lot's of time to work the paint.

Once your a target the ice surface gets real small, real quick.

Nick is already going to have to deal with the London Captain next go around...as Captain he won't let any slew foot go unanswered for long. ( Jared Knight )

And Tinordi is a whole lot of nasty....enjoy.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 02:36 PM
PacoSanchez15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
Make that three lost on this one.

One thing has always been very clear in Hockey and that's " runna da mouth " pay the price. Every Dog has his day and eventually the runna da mouth will catch up to Cousins. Playing forward he will become a target across the middle and you can lay money on it, someone will take exception to his yapping.

The worst part for Soo fans in all this , the more is continues it will begin to take away from Cousins bread and butter. Open ice and Lot's of time to work the paint.

Nick is already going to have to deal with the London Captain next go around...as Captain he won't let any slew foot go unanswered for long. ( Jared Knight )

Anyone want to place bets on the length of suspension that Tinordi will get if that happens? I can guarantee Cousins will not fight Tinordi and if he goes after Cousins I can also guarantee that there are guys on the Hounds that will not think twice about retribution on some of the Knights best players.

I haven't seen any video of the incident but if Knight on the other hand goes after him then Cousins is probably getting what's coming to him. In the 2+ years Nick has been here I've never seen him throw any questionable hits or attempt to injure anyone. Not saying it didn't happen, just that I've never seen that to be part of his game.

As many others have said a big part of his game is using his mouth to get guys angry. Why the opposing teams let him get into their heads is beyond me, you have to know by now that he's going to be yapping the entire game. You don't think he's hoping someone goes after him so he can turtle and draw a double minor or major penalty?

As for the Rangers game, Nick went down like he was shot when the goalie touched him with the stick. That's nothing new from him either, he'll try and sell a call almost every game but I've also seen him take more than a few big hits (in open ice) and get up and keep playing.

Will his act wear thin with his teammates? He's been playing that way well before he was ever drafted into the OHL and I doubt it'll stop if/when he ever makes it to the NHL. As long as he's putting up points, drawing penalties and helping his team win games I doubt his teammates will ever care.

With all that said I know of a few other Hounds fans that often wonder why he doesn't get pummeled more often.

PacoSanchez15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post

Nick is already going to have to deal with the London Captain next go around...as Captain he won't let any slew foot go unanswered for long. ( Jared Knight

I doubt tinordi does anything outside of trying to lay a big hit on him. Hopefully if he gets his shot his arms stay low. Nick will have his head up. More likely in the fight dept, Ud see knight, ruperts or fox asking him to go and we all know how thatll turn out. Cousins will decline, a teammate will step in and the chirping will
Continue. No need going all bertuzzi on him.

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 03:47 PM
aresknights

When I watched the replay of game Saturday, tinordi was seen clearly on the screen telling Matta, no fighting, after the incident and with about 1 min left. He knows his value to our team and will act accordingly. Not to say he won't go someone, but it wouldn't be cousins ( unfortunately)

Old
10-12-2011, 04:47 PM
saska sault

Only way to see what really happens, is wait until the next meeting. November's a while away.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 09:36 PM
dogsandwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
When I watched the replay of game Saturday, tinordi was seen clearly on the screen telling Matta, no fighting, after the incident and with about 1 min left. He knows his value to our team and will act accordingly. Not to say he won't go someone, but it wouldn't be cousins ( unfortunately)
Come on now..that would be a great match..in this corner standing 6 foot 7 weighing 218 pound sMr Tough Guy Tinordi
in the other corner standing 5 foot 11 weighing (with his uniform on) 177 pounds
Nick "Cute Guy" Cousins...
this will be Tinordi's biggest test..can he actually beat an opponent who has never fought before..ladies and gentleman.."Lets get ready to rumble.........""

dogsandwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 10:21 PM
aresknights

Ok then.

Old
10-12-2011, 10:25 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by saska sault View Post
Only way to see what really happens, is wait until the next meeting. November's a while away.
Id imagine the Knights will try and lay the body on him, and his head will be on a swivel and probly avoid most/all of it. The talking will go both ways and a few minors will be called. A scrap or 2 between other guys maybe. Or maybe nothing will happen for a game or 2

Old
10-14-2011, 10:44 PM
dogsandwings

Woooooooooo i must say that was a brutal hockey game..how we won is beyond me
glad we did though... was it the pink sweaters..whatever it was as Oliva used to say "Lets get physical"

Old
10-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Can someone explain to me why the Soo and Sudbury are the only Canadian teams in the OHL that don't have televised games? Or, at the least, out of towners can't view their games? These are the only two road games where I can't watch the Frontenacs.

Do you guys not regularly televise your games or something?

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Libbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Can someone explain to me why the Soo and Sudbury are the only Canadian teams in the OHL that don't have televised games? Or, at the least, out of towners can't view their games? These are the only two road games where I can't watch the Frontenacs.

Do you guys not regularly televise your games or something?
That mostly has to do with the local cable companies themselves and not the teams. It's a money thing and apparently these local companies either a)Don't have it or b) don't want to spend it in order to broadcast the games.

Libbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 09:22 AM
H44

The Colts at Sudbury game was on the action pack last night - i think it was the first Sudbury home game televised this year.

H44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 11:16 AM
newfy

Whats the scouting report on Sproul fellas? Hows he playin?

Any NHL comparisons you can think of?

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Crottenham

How is the Broll-dozer looking these days? My son works out at the same gym as Broll, and in seeing him it seems to me he could stand to lose some weight.

He looks plenty strong, but 230lbs seems to be too heavy given his height and what I've read that one of his issues is a lack of quickness off the start. Good luck to him, hope he continues his development.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:21 PM
saska sault

Sproul has been good so far, not great, but very good. Hasn't been scoring like last year, but he can sure skate and get in on the rush. His vision has improved, and you can see glimpses of his defense getting better, hes gotta be a little more aware in his own end though. Cant complain to much about a PPG d-man, 11 points in 11 games.

As for Broll, he has lost some weight, and is much quicker this year. Still getting it together for this year, missed the first 4 games of the year with a wrist injury. Looks improved, and I would expect 20+ out of him this year once he gets going. Also got revenge on Sefton in his first game back, first shift, nice to see that.

Old
10-21-2011, 10:52 PM
H44

Rudy Sulmonte played tonight for the Moncton Wildcats (vs. Chicoutimi) - 1 assist.

H44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:51 PM
wings5

Has Nurse been as bad as his stats indicate? He seems to always be a minus even when his team is a plus.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:01 PM
dogsandwings

Nurse has been just fine...looks real good ..as do the hounds..Doesn't surprise me that they are up near the top ..but it certainly seems to most everyone below Parry Sound
good stuff..3 straight on the road..you can't beat that( 14 hours after the last game
Hear Nishi was good ..Broll was great..
experts are experts because they have nothing left to learn

Old
10-26-2011, 01:40 PM
saska sault

Big game tonight, would be nice to get 2 wings VS Sarnia this early in the year. Need a strong effort on the defensive end tonight, and need to use our size to be effective. A "W" ties us for first in the division.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Big game tonight, would be nice to get 2 wings VS Sarnia this early in the year. Need a strong effort on the defensive end tonight, and need to use our size to be effective. A "W" ties us for first in the division.
Can you tell me something about Michael Schumacher. What are his strengths and weaknesses ?

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 02:40 PM
saska sault

Schumacher is big, strong on his skates, big, really good hands for a big guy, big, has a knack for being in the right spot (usually in front of the net) and oh ya, hes big... he looks about 6'5, 230.. almost impossible to move. Hes doing a great job at adjusting to the North American game, and likes to be the trailer on the rush, and is often awarded.

Weakness: His speed needs some work, and he doesn't tend to use his shot enough to his advantage. Kind of awkward when he throws a hit also, seems to lunge at players and end up falling down after his hit.

Overall, I would be shocked if he came back next year as a 19 year old and was not playing in the AHL... not sure what the farm system is like in Manchester, if he could easily take a spot, but he looks almost AHL ready now.

Old
10-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Schumacher is big, strong on his skates, big, really good hands for a big guy, big, has a knack for being in the right spot (usually in front of the net) and oh ya, hes big... he looks about 6'5, 230.. almost impossible to move. Hes doing a great job at adjusting to the North American game, and likes to be the trailer on the rush, and is often awarded.

Weakness: His speed needs some work, and he doesn't tend to use his shot enough to his advantage. Kind of awkward when he throws a hit also, seems to lunge at players and end up falling down after his hit.

Overall, I would be shocked if he came back next year as a 19 year old and was not playing in the AHL... not sure what the farm system is like in Manchester, if he could easily take a spot, but he looks almost AHL ready now.
Thanks, appreciated.

Yeah I've seen some flashes of him too, he's huge. Exactly the style of play you can expect from players with this size and of course, no surprise he needs to work on his speed.

Good to hear he has good hans, big plus already.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:49 PM
dogsandwings

Interesting game...some chintzy calls ..Plymouth scored all their goals on the powerplay..
Karma .....the last Soo goal certainly looked offside from my angle...(????)
Elsner had a great game ...
Plymouth is a hard working team...don't think they are in the same class as Sarnia..but close
should be a tight race all year ..methinks the hOunds came stay in the top few all year...
The new kid Staples looked good ..see the trade has helped Morbeck(good to see)
A tough division

Old
11-02-2011, 01:11 AM
dogsandwings

Will Hounds make any further trades??

Does anybody have any ideas if the Greyhounds will be making anymore trades??Or should we and will we stay pat for season??