HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sam Gagner

Old
06-09-2011, 10:55 AM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
Ok guys, let say we keep Gagner and let him develop further. Say we draft RNH. We'll be killed on a nightly basis with the following top 5 forwards.

Hall, Eberle, MP, Gagner, and RNH.
When RNH can play top six minutes, Gagner becomes expendable. I am actually hoping they put him back in junior for a year (I don't expect it though). I don't think RNH is ready to jump in and play top six minutes. When he is, sure, find something for Gagner if its out there. But if RNH isn't ready for top six (or NHL) minutes, then our top six looks like this.

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
MPS-Cogliano-Hemsky

Cogs is just as bad at faceoffs, has a worse shot, is a worse passer and is just as easy to knock off of the puck. He is much better defensively, but he is really more suited to a bottom six role.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:28 PM
Oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
When RNH can play top six minutes, Gagner becomes expendable. I am actually hoping they put him back in junior for a year (I don't expect it though). I don't think RNH is ready to jump in and play top six minutes. When he is, sure, find something for Gagner if its out there. But if RNH isn't ready for top six (or NHL) minutes, then our top six looks like this.

Hall-Horcoff-Eberle
MPS-Cogliano-Hemsky

Cogs is just as bad at faceoffs, has a worse shot, is a worse passer and is just as easy to knock off of the puck. He is much better defensively, but he is really more suited to a bottom six role.
When is that? Lets draft RNH and send him back to juniors? Our 1st pick will be on the team come october. You just do not send back 1st overall picks to junior. Gagner's value, if any, becomes zero. We get nothing back. What a waste of a high pick.

Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:17 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
When is that? Lets draft RNH and send him back to juniors? Our 1st pick will be on the team come october. You just do not send back 1st overall picks to junior. Gagner's value, if any, becomes zero. We get nothing back. What a waste of a high pick.
You do send any prospect back to junior if they can benefit from it, and I think RNH could benefit from another year in junior before jumping to the NHL. I agree, that once RNH becomes NHL ready, Gagner probably won't have a spot on the team. But until that happens, you keep him unless you are getting a better center in trade. Why would Gagner's value miraculously become nothing when RNH makes the team? That makes zero sense at all. His value to the Oilers might deteriorate, but his value to other NHL squads will not. You don't trade a young high potential center without having a replacement lined up.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote