HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers ACQUIRE Bryzgalov's rights from PHX for Clackson, '12 3rd, futures

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Bryz4shiz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberg View Post
Not survive under the salary cap???

You need quality players playing at good, affordable contracts. Giroux and JVR will be making the big bucks then (assuming...).
Well then I'd rather keep a two-way 40 goal scoring center signed to a great cap hit

Old
06-07-2011, 11:49 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Kris Versteeg ($3.083m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.900m)
Ben Holmstrom ($0.750m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Darroll Powe ($0.825m)
Craig Adams ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)
Adam Pardy ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.550m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $62,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,469,988; BONUSES: $1,825,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $30,012

Old
06-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
What if those 4 players equal more points/goals than Carter? Carter is a 30-40 goals scorer with 80 or so points. I guess it comes down to, keeping Carter or keeping Leino, Versteeg, Carle and Nodl.

Do we replace 1 top 6 guy, or 1 top 6, 2 top 9 guys, and one top 4 defender.

Let me just say, in the end, I wouldnt be crying if they traded Carter. I wouldn't be thrilled, but I would understand why they did it. If we can get some kind of value back, then I will be fine.

No. Two words: opportunity cost.

One forty-goal scorer is way for valuable than four ten-goal scorers.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Prongo
Beer

If we sign Bryzgalov what do you think the chances Bob gets sent to the AHL since bryzgolav would be a workhorse?? Bob could definitely get more games in the A and we could sign a cheap back up and save around a million on the cap?

EDIT: Q: What does this deal mean for Bobrovsky? Do you still see him as the goalie of the future?

“I don’t know. We’ll see if we can get a deal done with Ilya. I still think the world of Sergei and I think he’s one of the top young goalies in our game. Having said that, and again as I said at the end of the year, we continue to try to make our team better. Right now the position we’ve put ourselves in, negotiating with Ilya, if we can get him signed, it’ll make our team better.”

especially reading this in the Q&A that MSE provided us

Old
06-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Not impossible but not likely. There is some truth to moving him but again he is more of a proven commodity come playoff time....hard to overlook.
Sure, but you have to factor in Carter's health these past few playoffs and Briere's age. Who in their right mind would give up a 26 year old center that averages around 35 goals while playing great two way hockey for maybe one or two more years of elite playoff output from Briere? Well Holmgren would because he doesn't believe in the future, but in the real world it doesn't make sense to trade the younger, better, less expensive player.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:10 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Sure, but you have to factor in Carter's health these past few playoffs and Briere's age. Who in their right mind would give up a 26 year old center that averages around 35 goals while playing great two way hockey for maybe one or two more years of elite playoff output from Briere? Well Holmgren would because he doesn't believe in the future, but in the real world it doesn't make sense to trade the younger, better, less expensive player.
Again..how much leverage does Briere have compared to Carter...what does Briere net you beyond salary cap space? I'll say it again..it's precisely the terms of Carter's contract and all the other things you just pointed out that make him a bluechip that nets you more assets as well as space if you do decide to trade him. He's your trump card hence why his name and not Briere's comes up in trade talk.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:11 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

everyone shut the **** up

if we sign bryzgalov, cool beans, nice ****, we are a better team

our core isnt going anywhere, its those fringe ass mother****ers that will be on the way out if anything.

we'll probably call some cool cat like gusty or wellwood up, man i dont even give a ****

bob is going to be the backup, plain and simple.

there, everyone wins, now you all know.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:13 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 190
Not sure how often you guys watch Bryzgalov but you will like him

He plays typical Russian style but because of his size he doesn't leave the top of the net open (Guys like Khabby can be beaten high glove side often)

Old
06-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 190
Also I wish the Hawks could fit Steeger and get him back but that is unlikely

Old
06-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Again..how much leverage does Briere have compared to Carter...what does Briere net you beyond salary cap space? I'll say it again..it's precisely the terms of Carter's contract and all the other things you just pointed out that make him a bluechip that nets you more assets as well as space if you do decide to trade him. He's your trump card hence why his name and not Briere's comes up in trade talk.
That's like saying the Pens should trade Crosby over Staal if they needed to move salary because Crosby will fetch a better return. Of course Carter has the better value and is an attractive commodity, but you don't move one of your best assets just because they have value. Again, the wise decision would be to move your higher priced asset that will only continue to diminish in value with time and keep your more valuable asset that is less costly.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post

our core isnt going anywhere, its those fringe ass mother****ers that will be on the way out if anything.

we'll probably call some cool cat like gusty or wellwood up, man i dont even give a ****

I like this.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:27 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
I don't want to trade Carter, but if the right package presents itself then we may as well do it. I mean a JvR-Giroux-Voracek line could look awfully good someday
Yeah, tomorrow, lol.

Quote:
Really the intelligent thing to do would be to move Briere since he is our most expensive center, but is the least valuable of the 4 going forward. Now it will be tough to trade him for that reason and his NMC, but that doesn't mean it is impossible.
That would probably be the move, but losing Mighty Mouse makes me nervous. Nobody flips the switch like him come April.

Quote:
Moving Briere would net you the cap space and still having Carter on the roster at the same time as Bryzgalov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post

Who are the fringe ass mother ****ers we're talking about?

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 06-08-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Consolidation
Old
06-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

Quote:
That's like saying the Pens should trade Crosby over Staal if they needed to move salary because Crosby will fetch a better return. Of course Carter has the better value and is an attractive commodity, but you don't move one of your best assets just because they have value. Again, the wise decision would be to move your higher priced asset that will only continue to diminish in value with time and keep your more valuable asset that is less costly.
Yep.

To add to this, Richards and Carter have the type of contract that you can easily build teams around.

06-08-2011, 12:38 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
if we sign Bryzgalov the 3rd and futures would of been worth it. Thats the price you pay when you dont have teams with more cap space (see TB) competing against you.
I think it gets done. Call it a hunch. 4 years 22 million,

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 06-08-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: no options allowed by current CBA. forgot that.
Old
06-08-2011, 12:40 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Eh, just BECAUSE of his playoff performances, I highly doubt Briere is even in discussions, love him or hate him.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:47 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
if we sign Bryzgalov the 3rd and futures would of been worth it. Thats the price you pay when you dont have teams with more cap space (see TB) competing against you.
I think it gets done. Call it a hunch. 4 years 22 million, team option 5th year.
Options are not allowed by the CBA

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
06-08-2011, 12:51 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Options are not allowed by the CBA
I keep forgetting about that.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Damaged Goods

My questions is this: where does the league currently stand on cap-circumvention?

Would they allow a deal with a similar structure to the Pronger and Zetterberg contracts in the post-Kovalchuk era? I think that may ultimately be the key to getting this deal done. The Flyers have no qualms about forking over the money, but they need a cap hit that won't blow up too much of the team.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:18 AM
PhilaFlyers

Sign Bryz. Move Versteeg for a draft pick.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:27 AM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
I'm late to the party, but I like the move. Hopefully he signs for a semi-reasonable deal.

I'd be positively SHOCKED if Carter was traded. If you throw out everything about Carter's play and your opinion on it, the bottom line is the guy just signed an 11-year deal with a hometown discount. There's absolutely no way they'd turn around and trade him in year one. What kind of message would that send to every other young player who ever came into the organization?

Old
06-08-2011, 01:43 AM
phamJET

Is phoenix's defense that good? cuase if it aint, Iam guessing the flyers will trade carle and coburn, dont re-sign zherdev and probally give bryzgalov a 5 year $30 million dollar contract, which would pay him $6 million per year.

Getting rid of carle and coburn would still give the flyers 3 pretty solid defensemen and free up cap space for bryzgalov.

Last edited by phamJET: 06-08-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old
06-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamJET View Post
Is phoenix's defense that good? cuase if it aint, Iam guessing the flyers will trade carle and coburn, dont resign zherdev and probally give bryzgalov a 5 year $30 million dollar contract, which would pay him $6 million per year.

Getting rid of carle and coburn would still give the flyers 3 pretty solid defensemen and free up cap space for bryzgalov.
At least from what I've seen, Phoenix's defense is pretty average. Basically they rely a ton on Yandle, and he's kinda like a more balanced Mike Green (a bit less offense, a bit more defense). Bryzgalov is pretty much why they made it to the playoffs, but there was no way he could do anything against Detroit (especially with Datsyuk pulling the puck between his legs and ****).

Old
06-08-2011, 01:59 AM
phillyflyerfan1992
@ahthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post
At least from what I've seen, Phoenix's defense is pretty average. Basically they rely a ton on Yandle, and he's kinda like a more balanced Mike Green (a bit less offense, a bit more defense). Bryzgalov is pretty much why they made it to the playoffs, but there was no way he could do anything against Detroit (especially with Datsyuk pulling the puck between his legs and ****).
They have a great coach and also some talented two-way forwards. Phoenix's defense is actually quite decent, I would say Keith Yandle was a top 5 defensemen in terms of value to his team this year at both ends of the ice (most of the time... he's getting better). Solid veterans (Morris, Jovo, Aucoin), solid prime-aged workhorses (Roszival, Klesla) and these young potential-filled defensemen (Yandle, Ekman-Larsson, Schlemko) is a little above average in my opinion, reminds me of Vancouver's defense in '08 when they had Willie Mitchell and Mattias Ohlund (Ohlund, Mitchell, Bieksa, Salo, Edler and O'Brien was decent).

Old
06-08-2011, 02:02 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

What we want:

Sign Bryzgalov and lose nothing valuable

What will happen:

Sign Bryzgalov and trade carter
then trade Bryzgalov to boston for Kaberle

Old
06-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamJET View Post
I wouldn't in a million years, esspecially not coburn, and esspecially with Pronger's health issue. Even he said he may not be ready come training camp after having back surgery (those are always tricky). That would leave you pretty thin on the blueline.

If I were philly, I would keep my defense in-tact (Timmo, Pronger, Mesz, Carle, Coburn, Bartulis) and run with Bryz and Bob in goal. Defense wins championships (look at Nucks and Bruins).

With that though, you'd have to thin out your offense, trade/demote ~4 million away, plus not resigning Leino or Zherdev. Keep your top 6 (Richards, Carter, Briere, JVR, Hartnell and Giroux) and fill in the blank with low-caphit players.

Could look something like this

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m)
Darroll Powe ($0.900m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.900m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m) / Ben Holmstrom ($0.750m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m) / Shane Harper ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)
Nick Boynton ($0.550m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.500m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,493,599; BONUSES: $1,825,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $6,401

Even that is really pushing it. Salaray cap 63.5, which is the max. reported it could go to. You let Zherdev, Leino and O'Donnell walk via UFA. Trade/demote Carcillo and Versteeg.

But that's just me.

Last edited by Cypher: 06-08-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Closed Thread