HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers ACQUIRE Bryzgalov's rights from PHX for Clackson, '12 3rd, futures

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 09:56 AM
El Emperor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
"It would be a great honor. And itís time!"

That part has me feeling confident he'll get signed.
Same here.

His statement on the surface looks like he wants years, which makes it easier for Homer to front load it to cover the money issue. I for one would not be opposed to 5 years.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:59 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

BSH not happy about this (which I figured). They still think Boucher would be better for the team overall, since now we have to give up something to sign Bryz

Old
06-08-2011, 09:59 AM
ilovetheflyers8

When do tagging restrictions end? After the Stanley Cup winning game or on July 1st? Didn't Holmgren say at the moment the team can't sign people because of tagging? Or was that just a reference to the issue over the season? I can't remember.

edit- Tagging may still be an issue.
Quote:
Q: Are you comfortable negotiating before the actual salary cap number for next season is known?

"I'm not sure it matters, Frank. We kind of have an idea what it is, we don't know the exact number but we do have an idea what it's going to be. Obviously because of our tagging space right now, I don't know that we could sign a guy right now, at this time - for the same reason we couldn't sign Ville at this time. We'll do what we can do, and as I continue to say, try to get a deal done. We didn't make this trade to acquire his rights just to try to hang around. We're going to try our best to get him signed."
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...ade-transcript

Old
06-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
To get to 6 million we'll probably have to let two of Carle, Hartnell, or Versteeg go.

edit- Snotbubbles got to 5.75 with just trading Carle, so doing that might not be necessary, though that was without a 7th defenseman and room for a call up or a 13th forward.
That was with a cap of 62.2. It could go to 63.5 or it could go to 60.5, we just don't know. It's fun to speculate though. I did another one at 63.4.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Andreas Nodl ($0.950m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Kris Versteeg ($3.083m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m)
Ben Holmstrom ($0.750m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Darroll Powe ($0.825m)
Matt Read ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($3.200m)
Sean O'Donnell ($1.000m) / Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m)
Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.750m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $63,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,369,988; BONUSES: $1,825,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $30,012

Old
06-08-2011, 10:02 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
One thing I dont get is why does everyone want to get rid of Carle?

I get that he was a -8 in the playoffs. However, he is only 26 while Timonen is 36. You also have Pronger who is 36. So the logical thing would be to move an older dman. Also, Timonen's cap hit is $7 mill, while Carle's is only $3.5.

I think that one team that would really be interested in Timonen is Columbus. They really have no good Powerplay dmen and are desperate for one. Timonen will also add some much needed experience to their D. Columbus also has the cap room to go after Timonen.

So let's say you move Timonen($7), don't re-sign Zherdev($2) and O'donnell($1), you save $10 mill and get your cap to around $54 mill. If cap goes up to $62 mill , that leaves you with $8 mill to sign Bryzgalov and still have some cap room left!

Your D would still be strong and look something like this:
Pronger - Meszaros
Coburn - Carle
Walker - Bartulis

You may even have the cap room to sign a free agent dman for the 3rd pairing if you don't want Bartulis to play...
Quote:
If Jeff Carter is not moved, the Flyers will be looking to move Dman Matt Carle. #leafs, Blue Jackets and the Sharks are all interested.

Also yea, Carle isnt even close to Timonen

Old
06-08-2011, 10:02 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Anyone think that Homer's going to make this a Luongo type deal and sign him front-loaded until he's 42 to soften the cap hit? 42 seems to be the magic number to not get in trouble. I'm not saying I agree with this, just that it might happen.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Anyone think that Homer's going to make this a Luongo type deal and sign him front-loaded until he's 42 to soften the cap hit? 42 seems to be the magic number to not get in trouble. I'm not saying I agree with this, just that it might happen.
Might as well trade Bob at that point and sign Boucher to be the backup.

Would be better against the cap.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Yes. I think they will. Not that I agree with it.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
"It would be a great honor. And itís time!"

That part has me feeling confident he'll get signed.
And it must be discouraging if you're Yzerman or someone else who was hoping to go after him. Do you really want a guy who's all over the Flyers?

Old
06-08-2011, 10:07 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
No... for the simple reason that the NHL has been really pissy about massively front-loaded contracts lately. The only reason they left us alone with Pronger's contract is because we signed him to a 35+ contract, that doesn't go away when he retires.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Might as well trade Bob at that point and sign Boucher to be the backup.

Would be better against the cap.
Yea, I assume that would happen. It doesn't seem like they have much faith in Bob regardless.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:13 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
No... for the simple reason that the NHL has been really pissy about massively front-loaded contracts lately. The only reason they left us alone with Pronger's contract is because we signed him to a 35+ contract, that doesn't go away when he retires.
Yea but (unless I'm wrong) Luongo and Hossa both end at 42, and they let them be.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
BSH not happy about this (which I figured). They still think Boucher would be better for the team overall, since now we have to give up something to sign Bryz
I don't care what BSH says, Bryzgalov or Vokoun would do a lot more than prevent ten more goals for the team. I'm a huge stats guy, but their analysis is ridiculous.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:17 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Yea but (unless I'm wrong) Luongo and Hossa both end at 42, and they let them be.
Only because they were signed a year before Kovy and the Devils blew the concept way out of proportion. I may be mistaken, but I think there was a statement made after rejecting the first Kovy deal was that had the Luongo and Hossa deals been made last offseason, they would have been rejected.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
One thing I dont get is why does everyone want to get rid of Carle?

I get that he was a -8 in the playoffs. However, he is only 26 while Timonen is 36. You also have Pronger who is 36. So the logical thing would be to move an older dman. Also, Timonen's cap hit is $7 mill, while Carle's is only $3.5.

I think that one team that would really be interested in Timonen is Columbus. They really have no good Powerplay dmen and are desperate for one. Timonen will also add some much needed experience to their D. Columbus also has the cap room to go after Timonen.

So let's say you move Timonen($7), don't re-sign Zherdev($2) and O'donnell($1), you save $10 mill and get your cap to around $54 mill. If cap goes up to $62 mill , that leaves you with $8 mill to sign Bryzgalov and still have some cap room left!

Your D would still be strong and look something like this:
Pronger - Meszaros
Coburn - Carle
Walker - Bartulis

You may even have the cap room to sign a free agent dman for the 3rd pairing if you don't want Bartulis to play...
Carle, despite his 39 assists and 1 goal (at a stunning .9% shooting percentage), is this team's worst defenseman in his own end. Even at his age, Timonen is a much more complete player than Carle and he brings a lot to the lockerroom as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
$$$$$$$$.... This part will ultimately be the deciding factor unfortunately.
Yep. It's only an honor if the money is right.

06-08-2011, 10:21 AM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Yea, I assume that would happen. It doesn't seem like they have much faith in Bob regardless.
Hes only 22 (?), if this place was in as much as a uproar over Eriksson being relased, i'd hate to see it if bob is traded. Bob is the future, Bryz is the now.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:23 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Only because they were signed a year before Kovy and the Devils blew the concept way out of proportion. I may be mistaken, but I think there was a statement made after rejecting the first Kovy deal was that had the Luongo and Hossa deals been made last offseason, they would have been rejected.
I didn't see that mentioned anywhere. If Homer's intentions are long term, I would do the until 42 deal. No harm really. If it's rejected, he merely needs to point to those two (and I believe Zetterberg and Franzen have similarly ludicrous deals) and say "well, to be fair, you had better negate these." Unless they change the CBA I don't see them grandfathering those in and rejecting future ones without repercussions.

I don't agree with this practice, but we're in an arms race and we need to play by house rules, not necessarily what's fair.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Dark Knight
#PlayoffPush

I hate, but respect the Philly organization. I like the getting aggressive approach when it comes to acquiring players rights before FA.

Philly did well with Hartnell and Timmonen, but lost on the Hamhuis front. I think they'll get Bryz signed, and he'll do great for you guys.

The team to beat next year if you guys can get him signed.

JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
Hes only 22 (?), if this place was in as much as a uproar over Eriksson being relased, i'd hate to see it if bob is traded. Bob is the future, Bryz is the now.
Yea but if we sign Bryz long term and use him even for 8 years, it's a waste to hold on to Bob and not really fair to him. Bob wouldn't be the future if the Bryz experiment ends in 8 years unfortunately. I'm a huge Bob supporter, for the record.

Old
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I agree with them to a degree. I don't think they'd be better off with any cheap goalie like Boucher, but I don't think it is smart to pay top dollar for Bryzgalov especially if it means they have to move Carter.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:27 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
I didn't see that mentioned anywhere. If Homer's intentions are long term, I would do the until 42 deal. No harm really. If it's rejected, he merely needs to point to those two (and I believe Zetterberg and Franzen have similarly ludicrous deals) and say "well, to be fair, you had better negate these." Unless they change the CBA I don't see them grandfathering those in and rejecting future ones without repercussions.

I don't agree with this practice, but we're in an arms race and we need to play by house rules, not necessarily what's fair.
If Homer goes long term with Bryz... and I mean more than 5 or 6 years, might as well trade Bob and get some good picks/prospect back into our system. Then resign Boosh to be the back-up, where he actually shines.

As long as Leighton is nowhere near Philly next season, I'm okay.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:28 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I agree with them to a degree. I don't think they'd be better off with any cheap goalie like Boucher, but I don't think it is smart to pay top dollar for Bryzgalov especially if it means they have to move Carter.
Moving Carter wouldn't be a 1 for 1 proposition..it's about more than that. Personally I don't think it's smart to have the goaltending situation we've had for way too long now. I also don't think it's too smart to discount Snider's influence in this and making sure it gets done which may lead to some overpayment...but we're not exactly in the driver's seat on this one.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:30 AM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
If Homer goes long term with Bryz... and I mean more than 5 or 6 years, might as well trade Bob and get some good picks/prospect back into our system. Then resign Boosh to be the back-up, where he actually shines.

As long as Leighton is nowhere near Philly next season, I'm okay.
Yea those are my sentiments as well; exactly, actually. I'd hate to see Bob go, but if Bryz and not Bob will win us a Cup, I'll drive him to the airport.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Moving Carter wouldn't be a 1 for 1 proposition..it's about more than that. Personally I don't think it's smart to have the goaltending situation we've had for way too long now. I also don't think it's too smart to discount Snider's influence in this and making sure it gets done which may lead to some overpayment...but we're not exactly in the driver's seat on this one.
Well yeah moving him is not one for one, but it's never good to be put in a position where you have to move one of your most valuable assets because you went over the cap (again). I absolutely agree it's not smart to stay with the same goaltending they had, but that doesn't mean the answer is to go out and pay top dollar for a goalie either. If anything this just makes me even more angry that Holmgren signed Leighton + Shelley last year instead of signing someone like Niemi. That move is costing us big time as Holmgren is now going to pay through the nose to make up for his idiocy.

I don't discount Snider's influence at all. I am sure that is a huge factor, but again it doesn't mean overpaying is the right move. That's the big problem with Holmgren's tenure. He creates holes and then ends up overpaying big time to fill those holes.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:43 AM
BamBamCam

Just curious would Briere be open to going back to Buffalo? There is a new owner there with deep pockets who followed the team and saw how good Briere was in Buffalo.

Closed Thread