HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has the last couple of weeks changed Fletcher's standing with you?

Old
07-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Double

vCash: 500
Has the last couple of weeks changed Fletcher's standing with you?

For the last year or so, I firmly believe Fletcher had pulled himself away slightly from the proverbial 'hot seat'. Pretty much the only basis for me thinking that way was due to 'The Big Five'- Tuch, JEEK, Kaprizov, Greenway, & Kunin. Now that 'The Big Five' seems to have shrunk to 'The Big Three', I'm starting to think Fletcher is again teetering on the brink. Doesn't seem to be much in the cupboard beyond those guys.

What say you?

Double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:09 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 370
I think his job is very secure. Not in the hot seat at all.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:38 AM
123TripleDoge

I've always been a supporter and could see the rationale in his deadline deals and what not. Losing Haula and Tuch to keep our defense in tact seemed great, but the following Scandella trade really soured me. I just cannot believe that was the best trade he could swing or best asset management in general with the expansion.

123TripleDoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:48 AM
PuckInTheNards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123TripleDoge View Post
I've always been a supporter and could see the rationale in his deadline deals and what not. Losing Haula and Tuch to keep our defense in tact seemed great, but the following Scandella trade really soured me. I just cannot believe that was the best trade he could swing or best asset management in general with the expansion.
Ditto.

PuckInTheNards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Ultimately, he's judged by the team's actual on-ice performance. Nothing has changed in that regard in the last couple of weeks.

Last edited by Dr Jan Itor: 07-12-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 11:10 AM
Nharris31

It's still Four Kaprizov is not confirmed at all. Looks like and Confirmed are totally different things.

Nharris31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 12:00 PM
57special

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNards View Post
Ditto.
double ditto.

07-12-2017, 12:48 PM
Minnewildsota

No..

Minnewildsota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 12:49 PM
BagHead

It's hard to blame Fletcher for the sudden drop in the price of top 4 defensemen. Look at the Hjalmarsson and Methot trades, which value-wise are right in line with the Scandella trade. Before the ED, nobody wanted to move a top 4 defenseman, so they cost a lot. After the ED, several teams suddenly needed to move one, so they cost less.

I'm reserving judgement until I see Foligno and Ennis play on our team. We don't know how they'll look, yet. Overall I think Fletcher has been fine. I'd say he's one of the better GM's in the NHL, somewhere around top 7-10, as he's taken a team that had literally nothing going for it except having a good young center (Koivu), defenseman (Burns) and a single prospect (Scandella) and turned it into an annual playoff team with a still pretty bright future.

BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Etoile du Nord

vCash: 300
Nah, could be much worse!

Minnesota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 01:12 PM
DANOZ28

i would not have wanted to be a gm making a decision on who to expose / lose in expansion. basically nobody wins. now while i generally agree with baghead , i look at where we could be IF gmcf hadn't made so many mistakes. maybe chicago maybe washington (perennial bridesmaids) but still no question at the top with plenty of depth.

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 01:32 PM
AKL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57special View Post
double ditto.
Make it triple ditto

AKL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nharris31 View Post
It's still Four Kaprizov is not confirmed at all. Looks like and Confirmed are totally different things.
I disagree. I don't see how Kaprizov can be included anymore. If his KHL contract is real, and the term is really 3 years, and he'll still only be 23 after that contract is up, still no guarantee that he comes over then. If Putin / other Russian political figures are keeping him in Russia now, who's to say they won't keep him then?

Until I get an awfully lot of evidence to the contrary, at worst, I'm giving up on Kaprizov. At best, wake me up when he gets here.

Old
07-12-2017, 02:12 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double View Post
I disagree. I don't see how Kaprizov can be included anymore. If his KHL contract is real, and the term is really 3 years, and he'll still only be 23 after that contract is up, still no guarantee that he comes over then. If Putin / other Russian political figures are keeping him in Russia now, who's to say they won't keep him then?

Until I get an awfully lot of evidence to the contrary, at worst, I'm giving up on Kaprizov. At best, wake me up when he gets here.
On the contrary, until I get any hard evidence that the KHL contract is real and signed by Kaprizov, I'm not considering him any different than I did a year ago.

There's no guarantee that Greenway doesn't play his Senior year at BU and go the route of Reilly/Vesey. Probably should only be a "Big 2" then.

Old
07-12-2017, 02:13 PM
nickschultzfan

I concurr with a lot of post here. I have been in Fletcher's camp for years, but the last few months have been really rough.

Putting aside the horrible playoffs, Fletcher either got too cute or got shaken by the expansion draft. Either use the chaos to swing a big deal or let Vegas take Scandella and Dumba and be done with it.

Dumba is "less expensive" than Brodin or Scandella for exactly 1 year. And losing him, re-signing Folin, and avoiding Quincy would have saved this team almost 3 million in cap next season.

Maybe we would still have to make another move but our defense would have been stronger for it.

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 07-12-2017 at 02:44 PM.
nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 02:15 PM
Wabit

I'm reserving judgement until I see Granny/Nino contracts. Everything GMCF has done has revolved around keeping them.

Wabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 02:19 PM
Dr Jan Itor

It's pretty clear that the organization wanted a) to keep the best top 4 D that they could put together, and b) didn't trust Folin to be the "veteran" on a 3rd pair with either Reilly or Olofsson.

Old
07-12-2017, 02:55 PM
Peter Prohaska

I believe he's on the warm seat but only the season and (probable) playoffs make it any different.

Still he's lost Jason Pominville, Alex Tuch, Erik Haula, Marco Scandella, Darcy Kuemper, Christian Folin, Martin Hanzal and has added a bunch of AHLers plus Tyler Ennis and good god Kyle Quincey.

The AHL moves I actually like for the most part - he may have solved some depth issues cheaply plus made his AHL team competitive for the first time in its history. The timing is also good: adding Ryan Murphy doesn't hurt Reilly (who has to prove something) or Bouramman (who needs the time and shelter) and the team doesn't have a forward outside Kunin who's better than Ferraro/Rau/O'Reilly.

Signing Nino, Granny and Foligno will change the equation considerably. But let's be honest: he could lose one of these guys still.

I don't give him credit for drafting when he himself gives the credit to Flahr.

He has treaded water but the risks could yet pay off, just not likely to make the team better than it was last season.

Peter Prohaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 02:57 PM
Nharris31

Quote:

I haven't seen any evidence that it's confirmed at all. So I still view him Kaprizov the same.

Last edited by Nharris31: 07-12-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Nharris31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Loopy0ne
tastes like burning

vCash: 680
We need make a trade to get better so let's get some more players from Buffalo!

maybe top third or middling gm

Loopy0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
How many complaining about Fletcher threads do we need?

IMO people overvalued what Scandella/Poms were worth and now they are whining about it. His job is secure though, and no amount of "fan complaining" changes that.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 04:33 PM
Double

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
How many complaining about Fletcher threads do we need?

IMO people overvalued what Scandella/Poms were worth and now they are whining about it. His job is secure though, and no amount of "fan complaining" changes that.
If you don't like it, then don't click on the thread. And better yet, don't post.

Old
07-12-2017, 04:39 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 583
Quote:
If you don't like it, then don't click on the thread. And better yet, don't post.
So people who disagree with the premise of the thread or Fletcher's job security aren't allowed to comment on it? You only want people in here who agree with you?

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 04:41 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I think his job is very secure. Not in the hot seat at all.
At this point, I would agree. But if this team fails to make it even to the WCF this next year -- I have to imagine CF gives the pink slip. Whole lot of money being spent to fizz out quickly. And Dallas will be a major force this year now too.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2017, 04:45 PM
57special

This year's playoffs will be the test. Unless something unusual happens, such as major injuries to key players, or a big trade for futures (almost zero chance of that happening), Fletcher will be held accountable more so than in the past.

57special is offline   Reply With Quote