HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Arturs Irbe not re-signed, Semin said to be a locker-room distraction

Old
06-07-2011, 03:17 PM
FrankM73

vCash: 500
Arturs Irbe not re-signed, Semin said to be a locker-room distraction

Talked to my pops yesterday!

He was at the Goalie camp that my 10yo nephew was attending at KCI.

He had a nice conversation with caps Goal-tending Coach Arturs Irbe, who was taking notes how the Goalie camp was being run for his own camps (starting one I think).

He said the Caps are letting him go as goalie coach because they didn't want to pay him what he was asking. I have no clue what he was asking in salary but the interesting part was that my pop was asking about the team and Irbe said "Semin has *got* to go! He's a locker-room distraction!" --- said with emphasis on the *got*

I'm sure people will chalk this up as a rumor but am just passing it along since I love my caps just as much as the next fan... and thought it worth the thread

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Millhaus

Well that confirms it. If only someone could get him to go on record with such comments. I mean if he is leaving anyway...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 03:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Wow interesting stuff....

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 03:47 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

If true, will be interesting to see what they do for a goalie coach this season. I'm not sure I understand why they'd be skimping on spending for the coaching staff though. I guess these things are always more complicated than that though.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 03:55 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

If true, I doubt its a monetary issue. That's likely what Irbe wants to think.

He's not going to tell someone, when talking about opening his own goalie camp, "They're not renewing my contract because they don't think I'm good enough."

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 03:57 PM
txpd

its always interesting to hear someone's first person opinion. being let go=being fired. not getting a new contract because you won't accept the bosses offered terms=leaving as a free agent.

this is second hand and so its hard to really draw a conclusion there. either the caps dont want him back and archie is spinning it for his benefit or archie has over played his hand in negotiations and priced himself out of the job.

as for semin? we have one guy now unofficially that doesnt like him.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
as for semin? we have one guy now unofficially that doesnt like him.
Now if we only knew how Irbe feels about Boudreau....

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:15 PM
txpd

well, we can guess how he feels about mcphee.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:32 PM
FrankM73

I would imagine it depends on if Irbe priced himself out of the market knowing if he didn't get it he'd be just as happy being a goalie coach in his own goalie camp!
or... if Irbe didn't cave on his demands thinking the Caps would cave, and they didn't and he's now out of a job?

either way, the Caps now need a goal-tending coach... erg! :-(

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:50 PM
dashtary*

Wow, I've always loved Sasha, but if he's a distraction get him out of here. Sorry bud.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:55 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
Maybe he wants more money to put up with the frustration at watching who may easily be our number one goalie riding the playoff pine in favor of a guy that was solved and had lost 3 straight.

I suspect Irbe was miffed. I know I found it frustrating watching Bruce go back to Neuvy for game 4. heck, even in game 3. That was a head scratcher, especially after the first hand success Bruce saw and had turning to a rarely used Varly in years past, and shocking everyone.

I wonder how much of the more controlled game we saw from Holtby was from Artursus' teachings. It would be interesting to know who he projects as our best.

If Semin is that much of a distraction... like most things, it all eventually comes back to George.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 05:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Maybe he wants more money to put up with the frustration at watching who may easily be our number one goalie riding the playoff pine in favor of a guy that was solved and had lost 3 straight.

I suspect Irbe was miffed. I know I found it frustrating watching Bruce go back to Neuvy for game 4. heck, even in game 3. That was a head scratcher, especially after the first hand success Bruce saw and had turning to a rarely used Varly in years past, and shocking everyone.

I wonder how much of the more controlled game we saw from Holtby was from Artursus' teachings. It would be interesting to know who he projects as our best.

If Semin is that much of a distraction... like most things, it all eventually comes back to George.
Seriously dude, you may need to take a break from hockey for a while. You're approaching delusional. EVERYTHING has to be about frustration with management in the playoff loss?

Old
06-07-2011, 05:19 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
If true, I doubt its a monetary issue. That's likely what Irbe wants to think.

He's not going to tell someone, when talking about opening his own goalie camp, "They're not renewing my contract because they don't think I'm good enough."
Why? Sounds like you're attempting to discredit the guy based on not being hired back and ASSuming that it was performance based.

Caps don't have infinite budget. They probably still lost a good deal of $$ this past season by only getting to the 2nd round and having 2 games. It's perfectly reasonable that the Caps have decided it's a luxury they can't afford (at Irbe's price).

Old
06-07-2011, 05:23 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Why? Sounds like you're attempting to discredit the guy based on not being hired back and ASSuming that it was performance based.

Caps don't have infinite budget. They probably still lost a good deal of $$ this past season by only getting to the 2nd round and having 2 games. It's perfectly reasonable that the Caps have decided it's a luxury they can't afford (at Irbe's price).
I'm not sure it's the money that's the problem. There's probably more to it than what Irbe is saying.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 05:23 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Randy, at BEST....a goalie change to Varly would have been a jumpstart, not a series winning decision. I might have tried it myself, but I was less inclined to do so this playoffs than in past playoff series (Pens/Habs). Goaltending wasn't the issue. If we expected to rely on our goalies to steal a series, we were done anyway.

RE: Irbe, I would love to get some insight on how he's regarded around in hockey circles and even on the Caps.

Old
06-07-2011, 05:27 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
I'm not sure it's the money that's the problem. There's probably more to it than what Irbe is saying.
That's what people are assuming, which I believe to be foolish.

Sometimes in contract jobs, your figure becomes unpalatable for a client. You either move on, or you take the job for less than you have in the past. Doesn't mean performance was an issue.

(EDITr you hire the incoming UFA goalie's coach instead)......lol...

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 06-07-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old
06-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Robert Theodorson

Semin doesn't perform in the playoffs

Sign him to 6 million dollar extension

Semin doesn't perform in the playoffs

Sign him to 6.7 million dollar extension

I love you McPhee!

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 07:59 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

And the other assumption is the Caps went cheap. Either way, we're all assuming based off third-hand hearsay.

I think it's more likely they didn't think he was worth bringing back, rather than not wanting to pay him.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
And the other assumption is the Caps went cheap. Either way, we're all assuming based off third-hand hearsay.

I think it's more likely they didn't think he was worth bringing back, rather than not wanting to pay him.
Maybe they just didn't think a goalie coach was all that important. They've gone without one in the past at times if I remember correctly.

I guess we'll find out if they drum up a name replacement, a scrub cheap replacement, or no replacement at all....

Old
06-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Maybe they just didn't think a goalie coach was all that important.
IF true, I'd like the name of the person making that decision.

In case management wasn't watching, even the fans can see that Neuvirth made leaps and bounds in his development under Irbe. We always knew he was a good goalie but he really took the reigns on the #1 goalie position and won't let go, he got better as time went on, and I won't hear that his stats are inflated because the Caps played more defense, if you watch our games you will see that he not only is positionally sound but is capable of making some incredible saves and keeping the team in the game even when they let him down.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:57 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
IF true, I'd like the name of the person making that decision.

In case management wasn't watching, even the fans can see that Neuvirth made leaps and bounds in his development under Irbe. We always knew he was a good goalie but he really took the reigns on the #1 goalie position and won't let go, he got better as time went on, and I won't hear that his stats are inflated because the Caps played more defense, if you watch our games you will see that he not only is positionally sound but is capable of making some incredible saves and keeping the team in the game even when they let him down.
Eh. Neuvirth is a league average goalie. I won't dispute that he mostly reached his potential this past year, but I have a tough time getting excited about him as a #1 goalie.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Neuvy not flashy enough for you? I think the kid is a gamer.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Alfred Jarvis

How the hell is he a distraction in the locker room of all places? He barely even talks to his teammates, newcomer Arnott had to push and badger him into talking about himself a tiny bit, and it's already been established that unless someone else (usually Ovechkin) drags him into stuff, he keeps to himself.

Sooooo distracting, sitting quietly in the corner on his own, and you just know that ******* probably has the audacity to bring his own ipod too.

Just ****ing dumb.

Alfred Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:19 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Neuvy not flashy enough for you? I think the kid is a gamer.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/by...e=NHL&sort=112

22 out of 42 with a minimum of 20 starts. The very definition of meh.

I don't claim to know anything about player development, but at this point in his career, I'm thinking what you see is what you get.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:13 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Jarvis View Post
How the hell is he a distraction in the locker room of all places? He barely even talks to his teammates, newcomer Arnott had to push and badger him into talking about himself a tiny bit, and it's already been established that unless someone else (usually Ovechkin) drags him into stuff, he keeps to himself.

Sooooo distracting, sitting quietly in the corner on his own, and you just know that ******* probably has the audacity to bring his own ipod too.

Just ****ing dumb.
Yes, because you know what goes on in the locker room...

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote