HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arturs Irbe not re-signed, Semin said to be a locker-room distraction

Old
06-08-2011, 02:30 AM
Alfred Jarvis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Yes, because you know what goes on in the locker room...
And how is a third hand story from some random message board user any more reliable than observation from another random user?

Is it because he used boldface?

Alfred Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:47 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Yes, because you know what goes on in the locker room...
I have told you guys multiple times. I really do play for the Capitals and have been saying that Semin and his antics have gone to far. The other day he coughed when I told a joke. Some people said I was crazy that it was just a normal cough but I knew he meant it as an insult. Thanks to Ovi I'm now well versed in Russian culture.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred Jarvis View Post
And how is a third hand story from some random message board user any more reliable than observation from another random user?

Is it because he used boldface?
Did I say it was any more reliable?

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Langway
Intangibles

JapersRink: I'm hearing that Arturs Irbe won't be back as #Caps' G coach next season.

SlavaMalamud: @JapersRink He was hired for Varly, who didn't have good relationship w/ Dave Prior. This may mean V is not considered part of Caps future.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
JapersRink: I'm hearing that Arturs Irbe won't be back as #Caps' G coach next season.

SlavaMalamud: @JapersRink He was hired for Varly, who didn't have good relationship w/ Dave Prior. This may mean V is not considered part of Caps future.
Yea I tweeted that to Japer this AM and asked Dmitry his thoughts on the Semin bit.

dchesnokov Dmitry Chesnokov
@Hockey442 sure, the quiet guy is the distraction

442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:39 AM
txpd

i was sort of thinking same about semin. love or hate, him being a locker room distraction doesnt really fit form.

true, that irbe was hired because he speaks russian and i had not considered that varly really might be short timing and that might would effect irbe. makes perfect sense.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:43 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Barely even talking to his teammates = not a core player IMO. In the cap era you must be highly selective about your high dollar core players and skill is just one component.

Distraction is probably overstating it but a non-factor in the room is an issue, especially as a high dollar player on a team with questionable leadership presence.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:44 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
I think it would be a mistake to move Varly at this time. He has shown more in the playoffs than the others, for starters. He is injury prone or has a soft groin yes, but lets not pretend that Neuvy and Holtby werent ailing at times.

George drafted goalies playing catchup to cover for Kolzig's career coming to an end somehow before George could see it coming. At some point or another, he will be forced to choose between 3 guys, all largely unproven. The market for young goalies, not that strong I hear. Will he choose the right one to move?

Call me crazy, but if forced to make a move, I may want to move Neuvy. He seems like a solid average goalie, but I want more. If goalies are cheap to acquire, we can acquire someone elses average goalie, if need be. Its prudent to buy time and see what Varly and Holtby have next season, if possible, before doing anything. Holtby especially, we need to see more before moving anyone.

A person can be a locker room distraction by ignoring the coach, listening to an ipod, and setting a bad example in doing so; no? I would listen but I dont "speak" english.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Jasper17

[QUOTE=RandyHolt;33497511]I think it would be a mistake to move Varly at this time. He has shown more in the playoffs than the others, for starters. He is injury prone or has a soft groin yes, but lets not pretend that Neuvy and Holtby werent ailing at times. [QUOTE]

I am not going to disagree with the idea of trading Neuvy over Varly. However, I do think the Caps should try to move one. I would imagine there would be several teams interested in a young goaltender, Avalanche and Coyotes jump out at me at the moment. Maybe even Florida too. I think there are a few teams that A. Need a goaltender now and B. have an eye to the future more than win next year.

Personally I would deal whatever goaltender gets you the most back in return. Because I honestly don't believe there is much between the two of them.

As for Semin, is this really surprising? You can tell by the way he carries himself that he is cocky and arrogant and you can see by the way he plays he is more interested in himself than the team. No one is going to publically say that though. Because even coaches who are leaving want another job somewhere. And no one is going to hire a guy who can't keep things behind closed doors.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:08 AM
txpd

ok...semin is a distraction.

varly. varly demands to be the #1 goalie or he goes to the k. rh? you give him that? you trade neuvirth and give him the 1 spot? when he goes down with his next injury and holtby shuts him down, what then? varly is right back where he was with neuvirth?

lets be fair about the injury situation with varlamov and that of holtby and neuvirth. varly consistantly damages his groin and his knee because he overuses his athleticism. it has happened three years in a row. neuvirth as suffered a muscle issue once. he had his mask break in a freak accident and missed a little time otherwise. holtby was hurt once and really doesnt have enough of a track record to rely on one way or the other.

my view is keep all three. my view is that if thats not acceptable to varly, then let him go.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I don't claim to know anything about player development, but at this point in his career, I'm thinking what you see is what you get.
What? After a player's first full year in the NHL what you see is what you get?

2 years ago Neuvirth played 5 NHL games. Last year 17 and this year 48. Boom finished article? Really?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:29 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
What? After a player's first full year in the NHL what you see is what you get?

2 years ago Neuvirth played 5 NHL games. Last year 17 and this year 48. Boom finished article? Really?
Increasingly, players are coming into the league ready to roll. They perform right off the bat and continue to do so.

With Neuvirth in particular, he's very good positionally, average at controlling rebounds and not great on second chances. I don't really see any of that changing...maybe he improves rebound control.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:38 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
TX, when did Varly demand to be the number one goalie? Find that link for me again.

Regardless, we wont roll out the red carpet for him if Neuvy or Holt get moved. He still has to beat out whoever remains.

His agent tried to get his guy some games, to stand up for his client, or so he could get himself a better commission. He will leave for the KHL if he doesnt play. Its not rocket science, he wants his client to play. He needs games to develop, and may even need games to keep his groin in shape, or to learn better positioning to ease the strain on it.

Holtby was hurt once? I seem to remember him hurt more than once since he took over in Hershey. IIRC, hurt more than once last year.

George can't keep all 3 here forever.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:39 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Agreed. Not all "distractions" have to be of the TO variety. If a high dollar player doesn't show any involvement in leadership activities and continues to undermind the coach by doing things his own way, then that can become and issue. Additionally having every one working on one page only to have one player believe they're beyond reproach (and the coach/GM not taking action to show them they're not), can have a huge negative affect on a group.

Cami in LA was this way.

I'm not saying 100% semin is those things... but after over a half decade of observing him, I feel like the odds are in that area.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:43 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
If true, I doubt its a monetary issue. That's likely what Irbe wants to think.

He's not going to tell someone, when talking about opening his own goalie camp, "They're not renewing my contract because they don't think I'm good enough."
Okay but they have 3 great young goalies. Hard to think Irbe hasn't had anything to do with that. Plus another stud on the way (the German kid in junior who won the mem cup last year).

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Okay but they have 3 great young goalies. Hard to think Irbe hasn't had anything to do with that. Plus another stud on the way (the German kid in junior who won the mem cup last year).
Irbe really hasn't had any to do with them...Dave Prior gets all the credit for Varly, Neuvy and Holtby.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Grubauer isn't all that impressive in my opinion. He's been helped along by good teams.

The Instigator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:59 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I think the fact that he way brought in for Varly and then not kept is a huge flag. We'll see.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Punishment View Post
Grubauer isn't all that impressive in my opinion. He's been helped along by good teams.
agreed... he's a decent prospect but didn't have the follow-up solid season like people expected...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Dirtbag59

The big question is what do we do now at Goalie coach. It's my understanding that Irbe was among the better Goal coaches in the world.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Maybe I'm just misinformed but Irbe seemed less of a teacher/technician than experienced mentor. That might be how many get their start--and with three youngsters it makes sense especially given the language fluency--but this isn't Francois Allaire we're talking about.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:03 PM
txpd

varly's demand to be the #1 goalie comes from his apparant demand to be the playoff goalie or he would leave the team for the K. the idea of trying to get him some games, a share of the playoff duty just doesn't fly with the way things are done.

how many teams this season started both their goalies as a matter of course? luongo has started all but one game. thomas all of them. roloson started them all as did niemi.

if varly is saying play me or i walk, then he is saying he needs to be the team starter or he is moving on.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:33 PM
rockinghorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ok...semin is a distraction.
Okay this is my shot at it.

I'm wondering if he distracts OV which in turn affects the locker room? Maybe OV thinks he has to always be with Semin because otherwise Semin would be all alone. Thereby effectively excluding everyone else who does not speak russian. Those two do seem attached at the hip.

Hey too much time to think about what it could be?

rockinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:38 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

It's worse than freaking Page Six on here.

There is plenty of crap to be concerned about and discuss without having to make **** up out of thin air.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Atlas

We have to accept the fact that Caps management has no clue how to build a Stanley Cup winner. Trading Varly would be a colossal mistake so it makes sense coming from McPhee.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote