HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arturs Irbe not re-signed, Semin said to be a locker-room distraction

Old
06-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Atlas

vCash: 500
Brooklyn is right: Neuvy is nothing special at the NHL level. Is it not obvious?

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:06 PM
dashtary*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Brooklyn is right: Neuvy is nothing special at the NHL level. Is it not obvious?
A goalie doesn't peak at the age of 22/23, they peak much later on and play at their highest level from there. What shows that Neuvy has already his his peak? Doesn't make much sense at all.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Increasingly, players are coming into the league ready to roll. They perform right off the bat and continue to do so.

With Neuvirth in particular, he's very good positionally, average at controlling rebounds and not great on second chances. I don't really see any of that changing...maybe he improves rebound control.
The idea that the general rule is that whatever a 20, 21, 22, or 23 year old player is at that age is all they will ever be is completely nuts, especially if that is their 1st full year in the NHL. Is that occasionally the case? Sure but to treat that as the norm is ridiculous. For every example you could give of that being the case, and so far you have not provided one, I could give you at least 10 where that isn't the case.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
A goalie doesn't peak at the age of 22/23, they peak much later on and play at their highest level from there. What shows that Neuvy has already his his peak? Doesn't make much sense at all.

I've watched the kid play. I watched Patrick Roy, Brodeur, Luongo and many others as young goalies. They all showed their skills immediately. You don't watch stats you watch the game play. Neuvy is solid but there is nothing elite in his game.

Old
06-08-2011, 03:45 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
How dare you say that one of our prospects is only "solid". I am sold on MJ being a top line player in the NHL, of course.

Any joking aside, it would be great to keep all three around until its all sorted out for all of us to see. But someone with an eye for talent like George, should be able to see which of our goalie pool needs to be moved. After seeing the strong relief performances Varly has put up in the playoffs, I think he deserves another look. This year was wrecked by injuries, and then I believe was in the dog house when healthy, for said injuries. Bruce didnt have the patience, but with 3 tenders to call upon, he should. And shouldnt limit himself to just one or none.

Anyone playing in the NHL that will become great, should show signs of it. Maybe not right away, but before too long.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I've watched the kid play. I watched Patrick Roy, Brodeur, Luongo and many others as young goalies. They all showed their skills immediately. You don't watch stats you watch the game play. Neuvy is solid but there is nothing elite in his game.
Yeah when a 23 year old Kolzig was toiling away in the AHL with an .882 save % and 3.68 GAA, on a team good enough to go to Calder Cup finals that year mind you, everyone could see there was a future Vezina Trophy winner...

And lets not forget the oh so elite skills of a 23 year old Belfour. Impressive...

How about the special play of a 23 year old Theodore?

And who could forget the so impressive play of a 23 year old Kiprusoff? His skills were so impressive that it only took him another 7 years to become an NHL starter...

Hasek didn't become an NHL starter until 28, Thomas not until 32.

And I'm only working off the list of Vezina winners...

Old
06-08-2011, 04:27 PM
txpd

Quote:
who on this team do you compliment? who says neuvirth is a coming vezina/all star?
he's solid and reliable. he competes hard. as he matures he'll be more solid and more reliable.

i dont see anything there not to like. could varly be better if he could stay healthy or holtby better if he developes? sure. could they be something special? sure. is it more likely that either of them become something special than neuvirth remains solid and reliable? maybe, maybe not.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:31 PM
txpd

Quote:
Roy and Broduer are hall of famers. Luongo has been a playoff choker up to this season. Had he played the way has in Vancouver up to this playoffs in Washington, he would be on the list of players to run out of town.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:34 PM
EroCaps

Neuvirth was great in the playoffs. His team dissembled in front of him and his stats tanked because of it.

Of course Semin is a distraction. He's clearly immature on ice and behaves petulantly in almost every interview I've seen of him. Why would he be any different off the ice? Why would it surprise people that this would lead to dysfunction among older players and teammates?

Management looks more obtuse by the day.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Had he played the way has in Vancouver up to this playoffs in Washington, he would be on the list of players to run out of town.
We don't run playoff underachievers out of town, we give them more expensive extensions and call them elite defensemen. Luongo would be a perfect fit here.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:17 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Yeah when a 23 year old Kolzig was toiling away in the AHL with an .882 save % and 3.68 GAA, on a team good enough to go to Calder Cup finals that year mind you, everyone could see there was a future Vezina Trophy winner...

And lets not forget the oh so elite skills of a 23 year old Belfour. Impressive...

How about the special play of a 23 year old Theodore?

And who could forget the so impressive play of a 23 year old Kiprusoff? His skills were so impressive that it only took him another 7 years to become an NHL starter...

Hasek didn't become an NHL starter until 28, Thomas not until 32.

And I'm only working off the list of Vezina winners...

Sarcasm only works when you're right.

Kolzig is your standard of an elite goalie? He won zero Cups. He got swept while playing the best he ever played.

God your standards are low. Did Belfour win a Cup? I don't remember it if he did. He was a little better than Olie, not much. Kipper? Is he elite?

Hasek was great and he was obviously great when he was young. He was buried behind Belfour.

Great goalies are acrobats. Neuvy's game is to play the angles well. That works against mediocre teams but elite teams snipe that style.

I don't know why I argue. It's like talking to Bruce about the PP. Pointless.

Edit: I think Belfour won w/ Dallas?the Brett Hull toe year?

Old
06-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Atlas

I expect they will trade Varly though because he doesn't fit in with McPhee's sheep. He wants to play.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:25 PM
mooseOAK*

A friend of mine has a close relative that played for the Capitals and was told there was good comradery on the team, and then there was Semin.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
.I don't know why I argue. It's like talking to Bruce about the PP. Pointless.
I know I wouldn't mine if you stopped...Might actually be able to read this board again.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:43 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Barely even talking to his teammates = not a core player IMO. In the cap era you must be highly selective about your high dollar core players and skill is just one component.

Distraction is probably overstating it but a non-factor in the room is an issue, especially as a high dollar player on a team with questionable leadership presence.
This about sums it up IMO.....a distraction doesn't have to be a loud obnoxious guy. A distraction could easily be a $6.7 mil guy player who the other team members see as a guy simply not carrying his weight. Doesn't have to just be on ice. There are more responsibilities involved with being a good teammate.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Millhaus

Quote:

Kolzig is your standard of an elite goalie? He won zero Cups. He got swept while playing the best he ever played.

God your standards are low. Did Belfour win a Cup? I don't remember it if he did. He was a little better than Olie, not much. Kipper? Is he elite?

Hasek was great and he was obviously great when he was young. He was buried behind Belfour.

Great goalies are acrobats. Neuvy's game is to play the angles well. That works against mediocre teams but elite teams snipe that style.

I just gave you 6 fairly recent Vezina Trophy winners who were nowhere near the players at 23 they ended up being at their best and my standards are low?

Are you even aware of what the Vezina Trophy is?

Just say you were wrong with your statement that great goaltenders 'all showed their skills immediately' because that is clearly not the case. It's ok, people spout off around here without knowing what they are talking about all the time.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:47 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah so?

If you knew anything about the game you would be in it...

Old
06-08-2011, 05:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Just stop.......you bash and bash, with nary a compliment for any player (except for some reason Varly, a guy who can't stay healthy). It's a wonder you can stand to even watch hockey since your expectations are so out this world.

Kolzig was a franchise goalie who carried his team to the Finals and fell short.

He's correct, your assumption that Neuvy today is the best we get, is foolhardy at best.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 06-08-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old
06-08-2011, 05:52 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I know I wouldn't mine if you stopped...Might actually be able to read this board again.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:00 PM
CaptPantalones

An interesting tidbit to the Semin part of this story

When the Caps were in Buffalo in February, they spent their off-day before the game practicing at a small rink in buffalo. All the kids and a couple adults lined up for autographs. The whole team (Ovechkin, Backstrom included) stopped and signed for the kids for about 30 mins. Semin blew through the crowd and sat on the bus

CaptPantalones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:01 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Hyperbolic jabs at other posters > hyperbolic jabs at public figures who aren't participating on HF.

Hypocrisy?

You be the judge!

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:09 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Hyperbolic jabs at other posters > hyperbolic jabs at public figures who aren't participating on HF.

Hypocrisy?

You be the judge!
It's a hypocrisy party!

Old
06-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Atlas

I like lots of players. I like Neuvy. He's solid. Is that bashing?

How anyone can defend the Washington Caps organization today is beyond me. They are the biggest fail in the NHL right now. Wake up people. Your team stinks.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
An interesting tidbit to the Semin part of this story

When the Caps were in Buffalo in February, they spent their off-day before the game practicing at a small rink in buffalo. All the kids and a couple adults lined up for autographs. The whole team (Ovechkin, Backstrom included) stopped and signed for the kids for about 30 mins. Semin blew through the crowd and sat on the bus
I have a little different story... last year my wife and i with couple of other friends were at 6 Flags for one of those meet the players thing (OV wasn’t there, he was filming some sort of a commercial or something) and even thou i don’t really care about autographs and things of that nature, but my friends who are not even that big of a hockey fans wanted to get few autographs, so they got in line, but by the time their turn came it was past 8:30 or something like that, cant remember i was lit up a bit... so Semins and I think it was Brooks Laichs PR people said: “That’s it for tonight blah, blah, blah...” so my friends were kind of **** out of luck... i wasn’t in line I was standing closer to the table where they were signing things, obviously I saw this crap... so i said (in Russian) that’s bull ****... or something to that effect. So Semin got up, he was sitting kind of at the corner, again, I cant remember who was the other player... Anyway, he came up to me and at the same time my friends were coming up from the dispersed line they were in and he signed whatever they had, but the other guy didn’t come up at all. Then a little latter we saw Matt Bradley and he signed their stuff too, even thou he said he wasn’t supposed to after certain time.

I guess what I am saying is, you never know why he was sitting on the bus, may be he didn’t feel well or may be he had some sort of personal problem, who knows, and really I don’t even know if the story is true in a first place, my experience meeting Semin was deferent that’s all… he was on the quiet side thou, that is true.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
I like lots of players. I like Neuvy. He's solid. Is that bashing?

How anyone can defend the Washington Caps organization today is beyond me. They are the biggest fail in the NHL right now. Wake up people. Your team stinks.
The Washington Capitals are a bigger fail then the Atlanta Thrashers organization? The Phoenix Coyotes? New York Islanders? Florida Panthers? Columbus BlueJackets?

Come on now, I know you're tired of 30+ years of losing...But we all are. Bashing everything single thing about the Caps isn't going to make any difference.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote