HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arturs Irbe not re-signed, Semin said to be a locker-room distraction

Old
06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
The Instigator

vCash: 500
All I know, if I was being told I was a playoff failure, a lazy player, and so on, and so forth, I'd be in a bad mood alot too. Chances are if we trade him cause he's "arrogant" or "a locker room distraction" he'll go to a place with less expectations, light it up, and we'll all be like, "why'd we trade this guy?"

He just needs to find his game. I think that starts with a #2 center that can push him to keep involved in the play, which I don't think Arnott did.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:47 PM
DrPP

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
The Washington Capitals are a bigger fail then the Atlanta Thrashers organization? The Phoenix Coyotes? New York Islanders? Florida Panthers? Columbus BlueJackets?

Come on now, I know you're tired of 30+ years of losing...But we all are. Bashing everything single thing about the Caps isn't going to make any difference.
Yes, isn't it obvious? Just look at how much better those teams are in every aspect of the Universe. They haven't achieved crabcake oneness but still out freegold the Capitals.

DrPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:51 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
Thanks for sharing Vlad.

If you havent left america, you have no idea what its like for Semin or Orlov to learn a 3rd language. I think Bruce should learn a little russian or Swedish, why not. Cuss words, hockey terms, hello goodbye.

I for one like picking up parts of other languages. It helps you instantly bond with anyone from that nation. It comes in handy and is often good for a laugh when it gets butchered. Fu Fan. Knulle. Kurwa. No niah pierre dollah. Shiizzzzzah!!

Donde es el bano. So 1986.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Punishment View Post

He just needs to find his game. I think that starts with a #2 center that can push him to keep involved in the play, which I don't think Arnott did.
Well Arnott did the best he could with Semin, and they did click for a little bit. I don't think you're going to find the old man type leadership with anyone except Arnott.

Anyways is MoJo continues his growth I believe he is penciled in at #2 center next year anyways, being younger and speaking a different language is going to be of absolutely not help.

And for the people who say the North Americans need to learn Russian to appease Semin....

.......when you've worked in this country for 6 years you should be able to speak decent English, he might as well be from Mexico if he doesn't give a damn, Ovechkin and Backstrom can certainly speak it well enough and they've been here less time.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:19 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
The Washington Capitals are a bigger fail then the Atlanta Thrashers organization? The Phoenix Coyotes? New York Islanders? Florida Panthers? Columbus BlueJackets?

Come on now, I know you're tired of 30+ years of losing...But we all are. Bashing everything single thing about the Caps isn't going to make any difference.
The Capitals have essentially become the San Jose Sharks of the East: a very talented team that cannot find success in the playoffs. Which, to be honest, is pretty much the franchise the Capitals have been for most of its history.

Frustrating and mind wrenching as all heck, but the "joke of the league"? Yeah, that's a twisted kind of homerism, innit?

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:23 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Punishment View Post
All I know, if I was being told I was a playoff failure, a lazy player, and so on, and so forth, I'd be in a bad mood alot too. Chances are if we trade him cause he's "arrogant" or "a locker room distraction" he'll go to a place with less expectations, light it up, and we'll all be like, "why'd we trade this guy?"

He just needs to find his game? What's this, his 6th or 7th NHL season?

He needs to grow up and the Caps can't afford to commit nearly 7m on the chance he's going to by the time he's 30.

Semin should have been moved last year or sooner. He's a passenger at best. A cancer at worst.

It's a joke we're still talking about it.

EroCaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:57 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I like lots of players. I like Neuvy. He's solid. Is that bashing?

How anyone can defend the Washington Caps organization today is beyond me. They are the biggest fail in the NHL right now. Wake up people. Your team stinks.
in the last week ive read neuvirth "is nothing special", gordon isnt good enough to be an nhl player on a cup winner, johansson is neither a quality 2nd or 3rd line center.

maybe i missed the solid part in another post. but it just seems to be a steady drumbeat.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:36 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
He just needs to find his game? What's this, his 6th or 7th NHL season?

He needs to grow up and the Caps can't afford to commit nearly 7m on the chance he's going to by the time he's 30.

Semin should have been moved last year or sooner. He's a passenger at best. A cancer at worst.

It's a joke we're still talking about it.
I don't think he's a cancer, but I do think that we're past the "he just needs a center" argument. Both Arnott and Fedorov managed to give him some focus and top performance for a period of time, but it wasn't consistent. Semin's game is what we've seen for three seasons now, center or no center.

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:05 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
I don't think he's a cancer, but I do think that we're past the "he just needs a center" argument. Both Arnott and Fedorov managed to give him some focus and top performance for a period of time, but it wasn't consistent. Semin's game is what we've seen for three seasons now, center or no center.
In a room that needs pro-active leadership and discipline, anti-social behavior may as well be a cancer.

"Handicap" might be a better term.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Atlas

Can someone objectify this for me? How many more years of not sniffing the Stanley Cup before you become unhinged like me and complain? 20 more years? Will some of you Ted-enablers demand better at some point?

This team shows no sign of being a contender! We have Alexander *** Ovechkin and yet, other teams are happy to play us in the playoffs. Everyone in hockey besides the enablers here know the Caps are a paper tiger.

Demand change? Nah, we just signed a new Swede. Everything is cool here.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Superdowney

TBH I don't think I'd want Irbe as my goaltending coach anyways...

Superdowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Lacoste

I don't trust Irbe. Semin barely speak english and basically he is a very shy guy. But I remembering in old time with Soviet Union National team Irbe always was ass****. No many players was liked him.

Lacoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:58 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I like lots of players. I like Neuvy. He's solid. Is that bashing?

How anyone can defend the Washington Caps organization today is beyond me. They are the biggest fail in the NHL right now. Wake up people. Your team stinks.
You've lost it....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:07 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
I lost it long ago. Its not so bad. Its fun watching everyone try to fix you. When you didnt ask to be.

I would like to see Semin get Backstrom for a few months. Feds and Arnott were old war horses. Still, Semin did fine with them, but its hardly getting him a center proper. MJ is a greenhorn just finding his place and one day could mesh well with Semin. Laich quietly grinds his way to 20 goals but I have never seen great chemistry from the two. Yet they are almost inseparable. Some argue Laich is closer to a 3rd liner, Semin more like a 1st liner.

Ovi should be able to pot 40 with anyone. He doesnt need Nick and you know it. We need changes in our top 6. Assuming it will largely be the same 6 again this year, maybe we need to shake up the lines.

Part of the reason our offense looks so discombobulated is we cannot get two consistent scoring lines. This must be addressed before we can see a quality ES offense. Its not just Semin's fault.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-08-2011 at 11:15 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Can someone objectify this for me? How many more years of not sniffing the Stanley Cup before you become unhinged like me and complain? 20 more years? Will some of you Ted-enablers demand better at some point?

This team shows no sign of being a contender! We have Alexander *** Ovechkin and yet, other teams are happy to play us in the playoffs. Everyone in hockey besides the enablers here know the Caps are a paper tiger.

Self-immolation > words.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:15 PM
txpd

Quote:

who said its cool? i just dont believe that all of the players on the team are less than what they need to be.
if this is just a posting board where you want to post that the team sucks, thats fine. if this is about a discussion, your position that leonsis and the management and coaching are losers and the players they have picked are all poor choices and any fan that isnt throwing rotten tomatos at kettler is delusional, then there's not much to talk about.

Last edited by txpd: 06-09-2011 at 07:25 AM.
txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:30 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Part of the reason our offense looks so discombobulated is we cannot get two consistent scoring lines. This must be addressed before we can see a quality ES offense. Its not just Semin's fault.

I pretty much agree with this. I don't think we should trade Semin because then we are basically going to be rolling with one scoring line. IIRC, Semin has had his some if his most successful stretches when Ovechkin was out and he was playing on the first line with Backstrom. Behind that was when he played with Feds. I think having a true 2C would alleviate at least some of the perceived problems with Semin. Not only that, it would help our overall offense quite a bit.

EDIT - by true 2C I more mean someone who occupies the position consistently and develops chemistry with Semin rather than looking for any specific player.

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:54 PM
The Instigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwhaler View Post
Both those guys were ancient. As much as I love them both, get him someone younger. You haven't tried it all until you've tried it all.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:55 PM
IafrateOvie34

Personally, I don't care if Semin is quiet or sits in the corner. I want to see production, not talk. True leadership is leading by example, not being a big mouth. McGuire bashed him in game 4 of the TB series publicly in front of millions and rightfully so. My hope is Semin shows up next season and says a big F you to everyone, wins the Hart and Conn Smythe Trophy. As for the playoffs, he has done more than other players in the playoffs. My issue with the guy has been with stupid penalties and staying healthy. As for him being a locker room cancer, I'm not sure how he could be, but I don't play for the team or sit in their locker room. The only explanation I could see is that he may want to party a lot when not working and I'm just taking a wild guess. Now, having said all that, I think the 6.7 million could be on much bigger team needs. Either he steps up and stays healthy or trade him for team needs.

As for the goalies, I love all three. With Varly's injuries and contract status, I am safely assuming he is the odd man out. The guy has world class skill and leaves you wanting to see more. I would like to keep all three at least for this season at least. A healthy goalie competition would be good and something in training camp to look forward to.

Next season will be an all new season, so I am going to look forward to it. Sadly, have to go through all those regular season games for this team to make the playoffs and go deeper. As for this offseason, anything that happens will be a surprise for me because I don't exactly expect the management to do much.

Go Caps!!

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:58 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I feel good that I've stepped back from the edge of the cliff....lol...I'm never one to hold a grudge though. Some people clearly take longer to let go, some people never can...

This is a good young team. When they stop being the top seed in the East or among them, there's probably time for serious change. The players have to grow, so do the coaches. They need help on the PP. Bring in a new assistant or a consultant, whatever....

I see no reason why Varly and Neuvy can't battle it out for the next two seasons. If Varly has the heart, he'll want to battle and fight for the job.

Anyone know how much longer Holtby is waiver exempt?

Semin, well I believe the team COULD be better without him with the right trade. It's up to McPhee to see if that trade is out there, but it might not be and that means Semin stays. I hold out hope that we're looking to move a decent piece to shake up the roster a little bit. Doesn't have to be Semin....but he would probably be my first choice...

Old
06-09-2011, 01:05 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
I pretty much agree with this. I don't think we should trade Semin because then we are basically going to be rolling with one scoring line. IIRC, Semin has had his some if his most successful stretches when Ovechkin was out and he was playing on the first line with Backstrom. Behind that was when he played with Feds. I think having a true 2C would alleviate at least some of the perceived problems with Semin. Not only that, it would help our overall offense quite a bit.

EDIT - by true 2C I more mean someone who occupies the position consistently and develops chemistry with Semin rather than looking for any specific player.
A lot of panty-twisting going on in this post.

Semin is well, well beyond the point where we can blame the lack of a C. He's been paired with Backstrom, Fedorov, Arnott, etc. He's a headcase. A team should not be working around a 6.7m player. That player should not only be doing his job but making those around him better.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:08 AM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I feel good that I've stepped back from the edge of the cliff....lol...I'm never one to hold a grudge though. Some people clearly take longer to let go, some people never can...

This is a good young team. When they stop being the top seed in the East or among them, there's probably time for serious change. The players have to grow, so do the coaches. They need help on the PP. Bring in a new assistant or a consultant, whatever....

I see no reason why Varly and Neuvy can't battle it out for the next two seasons. If Varly has the heart, he'll want to battle and fight for the job.

Anyone know how much longer Holtby is waiver exempt?

Semin, well I believe the team COULD be better without him with the right trade. It's up to McPhee to see if that trade is out there, but it might not be and that means Semin stays. I hold out hope that we're looking to move a decent piece to shake up the roster a little bit. Doesn't have to be Semin....but he would probably be my first choice...
Coaches aren't supposed to "grow". They're supposed to be the leaders. The finished products. The men with experience who can lead a group of younger men based on that experience and a set of principles.

Bruce after 4 years and 3 ridiculous playoff exits clearly is not this. At least not at the NHL level.

It's not even July and we're back to la-la land.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:17 AM
Icetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post

Are you kidding me?

This is a serious case of the "head in the sand" mentality.

Icetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:23 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
Coaches aren't supposed to "grow". They're supposed to be the leaders. The finished products. The men with experience who can lead a group of younger men based on that experience and a set of principles.

Bruce after 4 years and 3 ridiculous playoff exits clearly is not this. At least not at the NHL level.

It's not even July and we're back to la-la land.
Completely disagree....every professional, even at that level should constantly be learning and improving, looking for ways to bring the team together, looking for ways to be better.

4 straight SE conf titles, back to back best in the East, 1st President's trophy, sold out building with a waiting list. Need I say more? It's not hard to see why Leonsis and McPhee didn't make the kneejerk reaction and fire him. That's all I'm saying...

Old
06-09-2011, 01:25 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetime View Post
Are you kidding me?

This is a serious case of the "head in the sand" mentality.
Nope, I'm not really supporting Bruce, but I can understand why the team isn't firing him. The people who can't see both sides are the ones who have some mentality issues...