HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Year after David Fischer

Old
06-07-2011, 02:48 PM
ROEN
@OrenWeizman

vCash: 500
A Year after David Fischer

I wrote the original article here

Here is the follow up a year later !

Heading to Fort Meyers is usually a prefered destination for those looking for a nice little
budget Florida pit-stop on their way to Miami.

Sure it's a short drive to Naples and you usually jump on the '75 through the Everglades on your way to Miami or Key West.

But while you're stopping in Fort Meyers, don't miss Estero river, Estero bay, and if the beauty of the little enclave hasn't charmed you yet, you'll be happy to know that in this small 18 000 soul town, Germain arena hosts the ECHL's Florida Everblades.

Beautiful blue water and hockey.

And the 20th pick of the 2006 NHL Draft.

The last time I picked up David Fischer's trace was training camp 2010, the jersey wasn't quite the one I expected to see him wear come late Summer, the Canucks had invited him to tryout with their rookie squad, he wasn't retained and shortly after, his agent got on the phone and looked for a place his client could rebuild a career battered by unfulfilled expectations.

Now granted, the 2006 draft past the 20th pick will always remind Habs fans they could have had Claude Giroux, towering centerman Patrik Berglund, but beyond the obvious benefit of hindsight the story and career of David Fischer didn't stop once he knew the CH crest wasn't in his future.

Coach Greg Poss of the Florida Everblades saw in the young defenceman a toolset he could use and after a short meeting with team president Craig Brush decided to give the kid a shot.

David Fischer finished his first ECHL campaign with 29 points in 64 games, 4 points less than team leader Bob Raymond in 8 less games, an output which quickly made him a strong core member on the team's leadership committee.

A strength he found by witnessing his mother's recurring battle with Cancer, per a teammate with the Everblades.

'' I think that Fischer had allot of worry about things that were out of his control, his mom's illness probably put him at peace with the unpredictable values of life ''

Fischer sees his stint with the Everblades as part of his growing into an NHL defenceman and his entry into Pro-Hockey has definitely been a successful one.

At season's end Craig Brush added Fischer's name to the list of protected players ECHL team's submit, a sign they want to get Fischer back for an additional season.

Per coach Poss

'' You spend enough time around the minor league system and you quickly spot out the talent, this kid has the talent and the attitude it takes to make it to the next level, he loves the game and knows what it takes to meet expectations. He can't change the past, but he's got the moment and he'll turn out just fine. ''

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 02:53 PM
neofury*

I wish him all the best whether it's for us or someone else.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Maxpac

It would be an awesome story if we somehow got him back and turned him into a solid AHL defensmen.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 03:50 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

We should sign him now that we got a pick out of him. Hamilton could use depth/Wheeling top line D.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 03:54 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
It would be an awesome story if we somehow got him back and turned him into a solid AHL defensmen.
I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he turned into a solid AHL defensemen, since he's good in his own end and a great skater plus he can move the puck. If teams can live with his lack of strength and physical game (didn't watch him in the ECHL but heard good things about his play, same for another Hab draft pick on the same team as Fischer in Philippe Paquet) then he should end up in the AHL.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 04:46 PM
ROEN
@OrenWeizman

In a funny way, it reminds me of Aaron Rome's early career ... hey you never know

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Krnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROEN View Post
In a funny way, it reminds me of Aaron Rome's early career ... hey you never know
and now Rome play in stanley cup final....euhhh was playing

Krnage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
I still believe in you David! <3

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

David Fischer was just drafted.....by the San Francisco Giants. Fischer was the 927th player chosen...that's more like it...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:47 PM
neofury*

I'd laugh if they got a free pick that picked turned out to be a solid player and then so did Fischer and we signed him. I know it won't ever happen but I swear I want the habs to be the victors in one of these stories one day!

Okay okay, PK Subban = home run.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Krnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
David Fischer was just drafted.....by the San Francisco Giants. Fischer was the 927th player chosen...that's more like it...
Trevor Gretzky...Wayne Gretzky's son was also drafted by Chicago Cubs .

Krnage is online now   Reply With Quote