HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Wii U: Nintendo's Next Generation Console

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

vCash: 500
You couldn't pay me to buy a Wii U.

Nintendo has been disappointing me ever since the Gamecube. The only game that I feel like I'm missing out on is Zelda, but I'm not buying a console for one game.

Old
06-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Jek McPorkins
Red Six

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
There are a few interesting pieces of information in this interview but I found this one particularly interesting given how Sony & Microsoft are supposedly going to be blocking out used games on their next round of consoles.

Used Games

"We don't have a policy surrounding used games," Fils-Aime said. "We have not put in place any technology to go after the used game business."

http://kotaku.com/5917363/better-fri...ii-u-questions
Develop great games, introduce a greatest hits (reduced price) program partway through a console cycle, and respect your customers. It works.

This should force Sony's and Microsoft's hand, to some extent, to avoid outright banning used game playing. All I can see is an online play license fee, that's about it.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
You couldn't pay me to buy a Wii U.

Nintendo has been disappointing me ever since the Gamecube. The only game that I feel like I'm missing out on is Zelda, but I'm not buying a console for one game.
Hyperbole much?

Nintendo released more good games on the Wii than they did on the GC, easily. Not to say my tastes are the same as yours, but majority opinion follows the same. Third party hate I can understand.

Old
06-12-2012, 05:15 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Quote:
There are a few interesting pieces of information in this interview but I found this one particularly interesting given how Sony & Microsoft are supposedly going to be blocking out used games on their next round of consoles.

Used Games

"We don't have a policy surrounding used games," Fils-Aime said. "We have not put in place any technology to go after the used game business."

http://kotaku.com/5917363/better-fri...ii-u-questions
I hope this makes Sony and Microsoft change their ways with that policy. Such a ridiculous thing to do.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:17 PM
Protest the Hero

Just some stuff.

Nintendo has mentioned this before, but they reiterated, “What we said is that every game for the Wii U, and this is true for the Nintendo 3DS too, will be available in both packaged as well as digital. It’s really about choice. What I remember as a parent, I prefer the download because I won’t lose the disk. But some people thrive on [having the physical game], to each his own.”

Common sense, but for the people still doubting, Cindy: "You’ll have an account system so you’ll be able to access your account anywhere."

Also something completely new for Nintendo, according to the guys creating the Wii U eShop title, Cloudberry Kingdom. Nintendo is apparently on board with Kickstarters. So people who donated, have the ability to choose between a Steam, Mac or Wii U version.

Old
06-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

Have they said anything about what size hard drive might be in the system? If you can DL full games, I'd imagine it'll be pretty beefy (250GB at the low end). Anyone else think Nintendo may go with two SKUs, offering a system with low GB like the 360 Arcade unit and then one with a beefier HD and maybe HDMI cables in the box?

Old
06-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
Have they said anything about what size hard drive might be in the system? If you can DL full games, I'd imagine it'll be pretty beefy (250GB at the low end). Anyone else think Nintendo may go with two SKUs, offering a system with low GB like the 360 Arcade unit and then one with a beefier HD and maybe HDMI cables in the box?
The Wii U will just have 8GB of flash memory, with the ability to add any Hard Drive.

Treyarch had an interview recently where they said the Wii U would be great for FPSs because they have the pro controller, which are perfect for FPSs. This bugs me because imo the pointer is far superior to analogue control, and second only to the mouse in precision. It's too bad that dual analogue has become the standard for FPS.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:01 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
The Wii U will just have 8GB of flash memory, with the ability to add any Hard Drive.
Good way to get that system cost down with the crazy HD prices these days.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
Via USB I assume? Or is there a slot for a 2.5" drive? It's actually a pretty smart idea, but they should have put 16gb minimum, IMO...

You can get a 64gb flash stick for a decent price, which is enough for a lot of people.

Glad to hear you can just plug a USB external drive into the Wii U and increase the storage.

This is how it should have been on the PS3/360.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:12 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairmanCat View Post
[B]Via USB I assume?[ /B] Or is there a slot for a 2.5" drive? It's actually a pretty smart idea, but they should have put 16gb minimum, IMO...

You can get a 64gb flash stick for a decent price, which is enough for a lot of people.

Glad to hear you can just plug a USB external drive into the Wii U and increase the storage.

This is how it should have been on the PS3/360.
Yes via USB 2.0, there are 4 USB 2.0 Ports on the Wii U.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:57 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Wii U version of Assassin's Creed 3 will be the best version

"Assassin's Creed 3 might be best played on the Wii U. According to creative director Alex Hutchinson, the Wii U version is the one to hold out for thanks, in part, to the system's GamePad controller screen."

http://www.gamezone.com/products/ass...u-is-a-big-win

Old
06-13-2012, 12:46 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Iwata says developers are currently utilising 'only half Wii U's full potential' CEO

Iwata says developers are currently utilising 'only half Wii U's full potential'
CEO hints that future games will compare favourably with Xbox 360 and PS3 versions

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...ull-potential/

Old
06-13-2012, 12:59 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 50
Quote:

Treyarch had an interview recently where they said the Wii U would be great for FPSs because they have the pro controller, which are perfect for FPSs. This bugs me because imo the pointer is far superior to analogue control, and second only to the mouse in precision. It's too bad that dual analogue has become the standard for FPS.
Well, main problem is that they have to standardize the controller for the sake of competition/fairness. Can't have people using a pointer playing against people using a controller, because it's pretty obvious who would have the advantage.

The Halo generation is set on the first scheme they encountered, so devs have to cater to them in the interest of dollars. Having said that though, the Halo generation still probably isn't going to give a **** about the Wii U. The FPS market is going to stick to their Xbox.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Well, main problem is that they have to standardize the controller for the sake of competition/fairness. Can't have people using a pointer playing against people using a controller, because it's pretty obvious who would have the advantage.

The Halo generation is set on the first scheme they encountered, so devs have to cater to them in the interest of dollars. Having said that though, the Halo generation still probably isn't going to give a **** about the Wii U. The FPS market is going to stick to their Xbox.
Well all Wii FPSs supported the Classic Controller Pro along with the wiimote, they just added more aim assist when using the CCPro I believe. I don't want to sound elitist, but it amazes me there are people who think dual analogue is better than a mouse for shooters. Take away their aim assist and these people who grew up playing dual analogue shooters will start to suck big time.

I agree on them sticking with Xbox Live. In the end, people will play where their friends are playing, or where it's "cool" to play. Xbox Live has created that atmosphere already. I don't really care myself, I was playing CoD on the Wii with the tiny community there, I just want the option to use a Wiimote to play.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Hyperbole much?

Nintendo released more good games on the Wii than they did on the GC, easily. Not to say my tastes are the same as yours, but majority opinion follows the same. Third party hate I can understand.
Yeah it is a hyperbole lol.

But I digress, Nintendo has been so brutal in recent years (In my opinion of course just in case people need reminding).

Old
06-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Hands-On: 8 of E3′s Biggest Wii U Games (And Netflix)

Hands-On: 8 of E3′s Biggest Wii U Games (And Netflix)

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/0...u-e3-hands-on/

Old
06-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Wii U hands-on with third-party titles: Zombi U, Rayman Legends, more

Wii U hands-on with third-party titles: Zombi U, Rayman Legends, more:

http://www.digitalspy.ca/gaming/news...ends-more.html

Old
06-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Any word on room for a 2.5" HD? While its great and all they're letting consumers plug and play using USB storage... I know a lot of people would prefer to throw a 2.5" 500gb drive in there, and call it a day.

Like really how much would it cost Nintendo to leave room for a 2.5" HD bay?

Sony had room for a 3.5" HDD on the original PS2, while most PS2 users left empty.

Nintendos already dropped the ball if they didn't at least leave room for a 2.5" drive.

Most external Hard drives require to be plugged into a wall, or take up multiple USB slots. Not everyone has 32gb + flash sticks lying around...

I know I'd much prefer to be able to throw in a 250 or 500gb drive.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Any word on room for a 2.5" HD? While its great and all they're letting consumers plug and play using USB storage... I know a lot of people would prefer to throw a 2.5" 500gb drive in there, and call it a day.

Sony had room for a 3.5" HDD on the original PS2, while most PS2 users left empty.

Nintendos already dropped the ball if they didn't at least leave room for a 2.5" drive.

Most external Hard drives require to be plugged into a wall, or take up multiple USB slots. Not everyone has 32gb + flash sticks lying around...

The Wii U is not much bigger than the original Wii, so I don't think they're leaving room for a HDD. It is a shame, but I can live with it.

I wonder if we'll see some good sales on their digital titles. I'll probably end up getting a lot of their first party games digitally considering they never drop in price at retail anyway, but with most third party games you can wait a couple of weeks and the price will have already dropped at least $10.

Old
06-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:

Why can't you just use an External USB Hard Drive?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...&Sku=M261-8234

http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=032191

Old
06-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:
I'm not saying you can't. But Nintendos obviously only supporting external hard drives for game storage, because it supports their build cheap production model.

First off like I said before, it's annoying to have to plug your external drive into a power source to use it.

Plus, it's even more annoying that everytime you want to use your external for something else, somewhere else in your house... You gotta unplug the USB cable... Unplug the power source... Then bring it back when you want to play games on your drive...

Plus there's the clutter factor, who want more **** and wires around their TV?

An internal drive is out of sight out of mind.

Some external drives that dont require an external power supply, but do require multiple USB ports to power the drive... So at least 2 USB ports used up if you have one of those drives... Plus super slow speeds compared to a 7200rpm plugged into a wall socket, and downright ******** compared to a 5400rpm internal SATA drive.

Plus I just like the idea of having the drive inside the the machine, and not having to bother plugging anything in to access my games, videos, music etc.

I just think they should designed the system so that you could have it both ways.

Plus a 2.5" SATA drive even at 5400rpm will be considerably faster than a external USB drive... Or does Nintendo no intend to offer current games for sale in their online store? USB/ vs sata internal drive will have considerably different load times.

I just saw a 64gb flash stick onsale for $34 on Newegg... So I assume the prices of flash drives will just keep on getting cheaper and cheaper for large capacity flash sticks. A flash stick is about the only thing I wouldnt find annoying having to unplug/ plug into the Wii-U everytime I want to use it for something else/ somewhere else in my house.

Just don't see why they couldn't have put a 2.5" SATA drive bay in the system to at least give people the option. I guess they are just hedging on people having extneral hard drives already.

I'd much rather pay $50 for a 500gb 2.5" drive, stick it in the Wii u, and neve have to plug/ unplug anything again, except for maybe a flash stick to transfer video files.

So Instead of being able to throw in a 2.5" drive of my choice, I'll have to go out and spend $60-150 on an external, or $10 on a USB 2.0 enclosure for a HD I have laying around... Which just means more cables, more clutter around my TV...

Terrific.

Last edited by Seanconn*: 06-15-2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old
06-19-2012, 07:53 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Nintendo Wii U Version of Assassin's Creed III Set to Trump Xbox 360 and PS3

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1yF89sAZJ

Old
06-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Crytek: CryEngine 3 'Beautiful' on Wii U

Crytek: CryEngine 3 'Beautiful' on Wii U:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/2...tiful-on-wii-u

Old
06-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1yF89sAZJ
That same article says the 360 and PS3 versions will have better graphics... Which doesn't make much sense to me... Since usually cross platform titles look virtually the same on all systems.

I fail to see how the wii u controller screen is going to trump the other versions.

Old
06-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
That same article says the 360 and PS3 versions will have better graphics... Which doesn't make much sense to me... Since usually cross platform titles look virtually the same on all systems.

I fail to see how the wii u controller screen is going to trump the other versions.
That's not unusual as programmers need time to get used to new systems and get the most out of them.

However the Wii U version apparently looks as good or better than the 360 & PS3 versions:

"Another worry is how it'll look and play on the Wii U compared to Xbox 360 or PS3. Many have a fear that the graphics might not be up to par, but I can say, from my own personal experience, that the Wii U version look simply magnificent. Although I didn't get hands-on time with it, it seemed to play fluid as well. From my witnessing of the gameplay, I see no setback in the Wii U version."

http://www.gamezone.com/products/ass...u-is-a-big-win

Closed Thread