HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Wii U: Nintendo's Next Generation Console

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 01:01 AM
SilverSeven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Some of the applications look interesting, but the size still looks...ungainly.

Additionally, has an initial hands-on mentioned the weight of it?
As has been mentioned in many articles and posts, it weighs less than a 360 wireless controller.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:25 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
As has been mentioned in many articles and posts, it weighs less than a 360 wireless controller.
The Sixaxis weighed less than the Dualshock.

Don't make it comfortable.

Old
06-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post

You haven't tried it out yet. Why do you continue to talk about how its uncomfortable as if it's a fact. Were you at E3? Many websites have already discussed how it's comfortable and doesn't feel awkward at all. Why not just wait until you try it out before bashing it?

Old
06-08-2011, 01:35 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post

Q: What colour is the sky?
A: Blue
Your response: My first car was green but it was still a piece of ****.

What the **** does your post have to do with the question I was answering?

Old
06-08-2011, 02:26 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
You haven't tried it out yet. Why do you continue to talk about how its uncomfortable as if it's a fact. Were you at E3? Many websites have already discussed how it's comfortable and doesn't feel awkward at all. Why not just wait until you try it out before bashing it?
That's true too.

I should say it looks uncomfortable to me. It's actual accessibility looks awkward to me.

Beyond that. I don't know.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:28 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Q: What colour is the sky?
A: Blue
Your response: My first car was green but it was still a piece of ****.

What the **** does your post have to do with the question I was answering?
Actually has a lot to do with it from both sides.

Guy said it looked heavy, you mentioned it was weighed in as lighter than the 360 controller. I mentioned how lighter doesn't mean better inre: Sixaxis vs. Dualshock. As in heavier was better in some cases.

People sure are touchy after an E3 hey?

Old
06-08-2011, 02:30 AM
SilverSeven

Just as you bringing up the colour of your car would have SOME association with the question of what COLOUR is the sky.

Still is useless and adds nothing, and makes you look like a fool.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:01 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

guys in the end just wait till they release it and you can try it at ebgames, bestbuy, etc. I'm going to keep an open mind. nintendo always seems to know what they are doing

Old
06-08-2011, 07:18 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
The impressions are on the front page. All of them say it was lightweight and ergonomic.

Here's a Gizmodo quote:

Quote:
http://gizmodo.com/5809631/nintendo-...-to-see-things
It looks like the product of a fevered fanboy wetdream. A 6.2-inch touchscreen, surrounded by dual analog sticks and oodles of buttons. Like the portable hardcore gamers wish Nintendo made. But it's the most incredible controller ever.

The controller is light. Not in a way that's like, "Oh, I'm glad it's not too heavy," but more "this feels like a plastic mockup." It's almost unbelievable there's a working touchscreen and full wireless powers inside. The lightness is what makes it work though, what makes this massive controller feel incredibly comfortable and totally natural. The ergonomics are nigh perfect.

Old
06-08-2011, 08:37 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Its been getting terrible early impressions from big names, and Nintendo's stock went down quite a bit yesterday because of it.

Old
06-08-2011, 08:56 AM
bdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Its been getting terrible early impressions from big names, and Nintendo's stock went down quite a bit yesterday because of it.
Yeah I noticed the stock drop too. Pretty massive one too.

I haven't seen any negative impressions though.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:14 AM
DeathFromAbove

A console even more gimmicky than the Wii...impressive

Old
06-08-2011, 09:36 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
First of all, no.

Every major gaming outlet has been incredibly positive. 1UP, Gamespot, IGN, 1UP, Kotaku - I haven't ready a single impression that was anything less than glowing.

And their stock drop came because, I **** you not, they think focusing ANY attention on core gaming experiences is a step backwards. They want to see casual orientated social games. Read the report.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:40 AM
octopi

Working touchscreen has my attention.

Although since I already own a Wii(which is almost exclusive used to occasionally play various Zelda games) I don't see why I'd buy this. A lot of people will go for it, though.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:02 AM
Marble

Looks neat. I really doubt I'll ever get it, because I never saw any reason to get the Wii, but I appreciate that they're always innovating. I hope it sells well so that Nintendo and Microsoft have to keep up.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:04 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless Logic View Post
Nintendo wants to attract the hardcore gamers, yet they make this console more gimmicky than the last one.

Sony and Microsoft have it right, don't make the gimmick mandatory.
What's mandatory about it? The new console will be playable with all existing Wii controllers. You could play it with nothing but the Classic Controller if you really want the most conventional console experience possible.

But Nintendo is right to try to differentiate themselves and not simply try to one-up what MS and Sony are doing. The last time Nintendo tried to release an ordinary console with an ordinary controller aimed only at traditional gamers, they failed. The Gamecube came in a distant third. I think the memory of that failure still guides Nintendo's strategy, and I don't know why gamers keep demanding that Nintendo make the same mistakes they made before, with the Gamecube.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:42 AM
DG

Wow, I'm surprised at the amount of hate here (actually, I'm not that surprised).

Looks like this has potential to be pretty cool. I'm not going to be lining up day one, but I'm not going to **** on Nintendo either for doing something that has a lot of potential to support fun games for every kind of gamer.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:51 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Guaranteed Sony and Microsoft rip this off in a year or 2.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:21 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Sony's doing the "transfer your game from the PS to the PSP, continue playing, then transfer back" thing.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
Working touchscreen has my attention.

Although since I already own a Wii(which is almost exclusive used to occasionally play various Zelda games) I don't see why I'd buy this. A lot of people will go for it, though.
Maybe you can play Wii Fit on it

Old
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Patchey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
What's mandatory about it? The new console will be playable with all existing Wii controllers. You could play it with nothing but the Classic Controller if you really want the most conventional console experience possible.

But Nintendo is right to try to differentiate themselves and not simply try to one-up what MS and Sony are doing. The last time Nintendo tried to release an ordinary console with an ordinary controller aimed only at traditional gamers, they failed. The Gamecube came in a distant third. I think the memory of that failure still guides Nintendo's strategy, and I don't know why gamers keep demanding that Nintendo make the same mistakes they made before, with the Gamecube.
Thats cause the Gamecube was awful. Nintendo has just had terrible controller designs ever since the N64

Old
06-08-2011, 11:40 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Nintendo's E3 2011 keynote yesterday gave the world its first official look at the all-new Wii U hardware plus (we thought) a glimpse at the graphical capabilities of its next console. As it turns out, the impressive list of upcoming games for the 2012-bound console was just that, a list, with the visuals we saw on screen coming from PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of said titles.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/n...d-up-with-ps3/

Old
06-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Marble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Wowzers. That's both hilarious and disappointing.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:04 PM
ARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

Distant 3rd is an exaggeration, it was only about 2 million behind the Xbox. The important fact is that Nintendo made a profit on every Gamecube sold from launch.

The Wii, despite selling 4 times the amount of Gamecubes sold, still shares the same problem as the Cube and that is the lack of quality 3rd party games and the ones that are there are overshadowed by Nintendo's own offerings. Atleast the multiplatform games that did make their way to the Cube were pretty much on par, in quality, with their PS2 and Xbox brethren, you can't say the same about the multiplatform games on the Wii.

Old
06-08-2011, 12:08 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
Wowzers. That's both hilarious and disappointing.
Of course it was 360/PS3 footage. Nothing on Wii U is out of pre-alpha. Did people really think they were seeing Wii U footage?

Keep in mind, we already know Wii U is more powerful than the 360 and PS3. This isn't a case of overshooting on power, and one of these games was actually running on the Wii U hardware and playable on the show floor. Another is being demoed today. And the developer of a third says the Wii U version will look superior to the 360/PS3 versions.

Closed Thread