HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Wii U: Nintendo's Next Generation Console

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2012, 09:35 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
My friend's opinion>>>everyone else's

I mean really, let's not turn this into whose opinion is more valuable.
More valuable? No, but factually questionable.

If you don't have an issue with the weight of a 360 controller, you don't have an issue with the weight of the GamePad. Form factor, feel, etc - that's all going to be different for every person, but the overwhelming majority of the returns have been positive on all that for the last 18 months.

Nintendo's build quality destroys the field and has for decades, so this shouldn't be that shocking.

Old
11-07-2012, 09:33 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
*counts Neely2005's posts in this threads, laughs at the irony of the quoted comment*
We've already covered this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
The difference is pretty big, the Apple products don't stop working. People Choose to buy the new versions. They don't Have to buy them, unlike defective 360's.

Except that I own or have owned almost every major console released over the last 25 years, so it's pretty hard to call me a fanboy.

Old
11-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

This console is not getting that much hype. I haven't seen any commercials.

Old
11-07-2012, 11:56 AM
karnige
Real Life FTL

well considering the preorder is prett much sold out across canada and the us i dont think nintendo cares. Theyll push commercials soon. Good luck getting one for xmas it sounds like. I hope nintendo proves the ps3/xbox fanboys wrong. This isn't the wii. Wiiu has hardcore audiences also. Case closed.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:21 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

There is an expensive ad campaign looming, but I tend to think Nintendo is botching the messaging of this system. In trying to control every ounce of the narrative, we're two weeks away and still don't know everything.

Although, Nintendo Direct this morning unveiled the WaraWara Plaza and Wii U UI.

Old
11-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Protest the Hero

I really like what Nintendo has done with their OS/Wara Wara Plaza, despite the stupid name. Putting games first and foremost when you start the system up, hopefully it can help lower budget games get some limelight if enough people are talking about them. It could help boost Bayonetta 2's sales for example if it happens to show up on someone's screen who wouldn't otherwise have known about it.

Word of mouth is easily the best marketing tool, and it's free.

Old
11-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Nintendo Wii U online and Nintendo Network ID officially detailed

Nintendo Wii U online and Nintendo Network ID officially detailed:

http://www.examiner.com/article/nint...ially-detailed

Quote:
On Wednesday morning, Nintendo showcased a new “Nintendo Direct” which shared details on Wii U user accounts, Nintendo Network ID, Miiverse, and video chat for the Nintendo Wii U – in summary, Nintendo detailed most of the online aspects for Nintendo Wii U.

As Nintendo detailed earlier this year, the Wii U will allow for 12 users on a single system. Each account will have access to their own game save data, Mii character, and internet browser settings. Software purchased from the Nintendo Wii U eShop will be available to all users, however.

In order to access the eShop, video chat, or play games online, users will first need to create a Nintendo Network ID. In order to create a Nintendo Network ID, you will need to share your email address, date of birth, gender, address and create a password. Your Nintendo Network ID can be treated like a Friend Code to share information with friends online and will also be registered to third-party software services – like EA’s Origin or Ubisoft’s UPlay.

Nintendo also has plans to allow the Nintendo Network ID to be usable on other Nintendo devices – Nintendo 3DS, for example – and products like PC, tablets, and smartphones.

On launch day those who purchase a Nintendo Wii U will need to perform a system update in order to enable online services like Miiverse, eShop, and internet browser.

Those with a vast collection of Nintendo Wii Virtual Console games will be able to transfer them over to the Nintendo Wii U by following this steps -- via Polygon:

First you will insert an SD card into the Wii U to start the transfer process using the console’s Wii System Transfer application. You will then place the same SD card into the Wii and download another transfer app from the Wii Shop Channel which will move data to the SD card. Then put it back in the Wii U and you’ll have all your virtual console titles and Wii save data available on Wii U.

Nintendo has additional details on the transfer method coming in the near future.

Nintendo Wii U will launch on November 18 in North America. You can watch a short video detailing Miiverse and Wii U Video Chat on Nintendo Youtube’s channel located here.

Old
11-07-2012, 04:20 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
glad I have this preordered.

Old
11-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Wanna see what's inside the deluxe set?:

Last edited by Taro Tsujimoto: 11-07-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old
11-08-2012, 05:31 AM
P U L L H A R D

vCash: 420
It bothers me that I'm going to have to buy this just to play Zelda. I used to be all about Nintendo, but the Wii was bad. I really hope this console lives up to the hype.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:39 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
It bothers me that I'm going to have to buy this just to play Zelda. I used to be all about Nintendo, but the Wii was bad. I really hope this console lives up to the hype.
The Wii wasn't bad.. the games that were supposed to be good, they were really good. That said.. it wasnt more than that.

The Mario games were excellent, Zelda games were excellent, Metroid, Donkey Kong they all delivered... but it's really hard to come up with more games outside of these.. there were a few but other than that not much.

Pre-ordered my console a few days ago together with AC3 and New Super Mario Bros U.

Old
11-08-2012, 08:47 AM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
The Wii wasn't bad.. the games that were supposed to be good, they were really good. That said.. it wasnt more than that.

The Mario games were excellent, Zelda games were excellent, Metroid, Donkey Kong they all delivered... but it's really hard to come up with more games outside of these.. there were a few but other than that not much.

Pre-ordered my console a few days ago together with AC3 and New Super Mario Bros U.
Speak for yourself, I found Mario bros. Wii good, Zelda okay (very poor when put up against the last few Zelda games. TwiPri, OoT and MM are amazing, WW is same as SS... meh), DK slightly below average and then there was everything else

Old
11-08-2012, 08:53 AM
vippe

Quote:
Speak for yourself, I found Mario bros. Wii good, Zelda okay (very poor when put up against the last few Zelda games. TwiPri, OoT and MM are amazing, WW is same as SS... meh), DK slightly below average and then there was everything else
Ok sucks to be you then I think most fans of those franchise found those games very good.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:00 AM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Ok sucks to be you then I think most fans of those franchise found those games very good.
Even if those ones were very good, Wii as a whole has a microscopic amount of "good games" in comparison to its competition. I get that it was trying a different approach, but I don't understand how anyone could really "defend" the system. I would be one of the people doing the defending as, if anything, I'm a Nintendo guy. It just wasn't very good. I really hope that the 3rd party developers stick around throughout the Wii U's lifespan.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Even if those ones were very good, Wii as a whole has a microscopic amount of "good games" in comparison to its competition. I get that it was trying a different approach, but I don't understand how anyone could really "defend" the system. I would be one of the people doing the defending as, if anything, I'm a Nintendo guy. It just wasn't very good. I really hope that the 3rd party developers stick around throughout the Wii U's lifespan.
I think that you (like most people) are understating how many good games the Wii had:

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/gam...view=condensed

Old
11-08-2012, 09:29 AM
vippe

Quote:
Oh yeah I do agree with you. It's been well established over and over again that the Wii didnt attract the hardcore console gamer.. It was for the casual fan. I do think it will be different this time around though. At least I hope so.
I did like the Wii as I'm more of a PC gamer and the games I really wanted to play on the Wii, they delivered the goods.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:30 AM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
I think that you (like most people) are understating how many good games the Wii had:

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/gam...view=condensed
That only helps to further my point I only see about 10 games I like on that entire list. I totally blanked on Little King's Story, which is quite good, and probably my favourite Wii game. I think that may say all that needs to be said about the quality of games released on this console.

Now, historically, Wii may be one of the most innovative and important consoles to ever be made, because of its initiative to make gaming more active and health conscious. This stigma (whats the word I'm looking for here?) has drawn many naysayers to give it a chance, making gaming more mainstream and widely accepted. *ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE* My dad, who is turning 65 on November 30th (old as dirt), cannot stand video games or the fact that I have spent so much time throughout my life playing them. He played Wii Sports. He still has the highscore for bowling. At the time, it was as if the world had turned on top of itself. If Wii can drive people like my father to give their games a play, I have to give it a pat on the back. But I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that the quality of the games are very good.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:34 AM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
Oh yeah I do agree with you. It's been well established over and over again that the Wii didnt attract the hardcore console gamer.. It was for the casual fan. I do think it will be different this time around though. At least I hope so.
I did like the Wii as I'm more of a PC gamer and the games I really wanted to play on the Wii, they delivered the goods.
Ahh, there it is. I wasn't saying it correctly. Everyone knows its for young kids/ casual gamers. I think you and I both hope that they take the good from the Wii, while eliminating the bad, and incorporate more "hardcore" games into their library. That would be amazing. I view the Wii as a stepping stone for not only Nintendo, but video gaming in general. It was the hit that they had to take to move on to bigger and better things. I just don't want Wii U to be another stepping stone. I miss good Nintendo games (IMO, of course)

Old
11-08-2012, 09:50 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
That only helps to further my point I only see about 10 games I like on that entire list. I totally blanked on Little King's Story, which is quite good, and probably my favourite Wii game. I think that may say all that needs to be said about the quality of games released on this console.

Now, historically, Wii may be one of the most innovative and important consoles to ever be made, because of its initiative to make gaming more active and health conscious. This stigma (whats the word I'm looking for here?) has drawn many naysayers to give it a chance, making gaming more mainstream and widely accepted. *ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE* My dad, who is turning 65 on November 30th (old as dirt), cannot stand video games or the fact that I have spent so much time throughout my life playing them. He played Wii Sports. He still has the highscore for bowling. At the time, it was as if the world had turned on top of itself. If Wii can drive people like my father to give their games a play, I have to give it a pat on the back. But I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that the quality of the games are very good.
There's a difference between the Wii having good games and games that you like. Every game on that list that is rated 75+/Green is a good game.

Old
11-08-2012, 09:58 AM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
There's a difference between the Wii having good games and games that you like. Every game on that list that is rated 75+/Green is a good game.
You're right. I would never go by that standard, but you are technically right. I actually have a wide open acceptance of basically all game types and genres. Just saying that very few would I consider playing for more than a few minutes. Admittedly, I have not tried all Wii games obviously, but I have researched many games that I thought would enjoy, and either bought the game, rented the game or tried it at a friends place. Of course, all of my posts are unique to my own taste. I just think it should be noted that I'm not the type of person who only plays racing games or FPS games. I don't even care that most Wii games are aimed at young children. I'm looking for fun, addictive gameplay. I have found that very few and far between on this console. AGAIN, all in my own experience and opinion. I'm not too hard to please, though.

Old
11-08-2012, 10:08 AM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

Is there any way to get a Wii U for the standard prices in the US? Seems like every website is sold out for preorders. I'm thinking of holding off on Assassin's Creed 3 and getting it for Wii U but I don't want to have to wait until next year to get it.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Is there any way to get a Wii U for the standard prices in the US? Seems like every website is sold out for preorders. I'm thinking of holding off on Assassin's Creed 3 and getting it for Wii U but I don't want to have to wait until next year to get it.
Yes, Wal-Mart layaway. But be warned apparently it's not an easy process:

http://www.technologytell.com/gaming...ayaway-system/

Old
11-08-2012, 11:10 AM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
This console is not getting that much hype. I haven't seen any commercials.
From what I understand all the pre-orders have been filled, so you won't be able to get one for a while. My guess is Nintendo doesn't want to advertise something they can't (at the moment) provide. I bet they start an advertising campaign sometime in 2013.

Old
11-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Protest the Hero

Speak for yourself, I played the Wii much more than my 360. I can count the number of games I really enjoyed on the 360 on one hand. I'm in the minority, but that's how I feel.

Old
11-08-2012, 12:47 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Like Vippe suggested, the Wii is a perfectly good console if you're other primary gaming platform is the PC. Personally I grew up playing consoles, and at the turn of the millennium after graduating high school bought my first PC and started gaming more on that. I like consoles for Japanese games, specifically the typical Mario/Zelda/Metroid offerings from Nintendo and JRPG's, Western games I'll play on my PC. It's just a shame that it took them so long to realize that the Wii could be a perfectly good platform for JRPG's, which were obviously failing on the PS3 and 360.

Right now my pipe dream is that they'll port Ni No Kuki to the Wii-U at some point, as that's a game that otherwise may convince me to finally get a PS3.

Closed Thread