HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Wii U: Nintendo's Next Generation Console

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
THQ made a comment today that the WiiU CPU was "Horrible and Slow". That they would have to scale the game down from the X360 to get it to run if they ever had time to port it

Some well known techies have also taken the WiiU apart and discovered that it has terrible airflow and likely to have overheating problems in the future
THQ hasn't said anything, one developer from 4A Games said something. They never said they had to scale the game down either. Here's the actual quote on why it isn't coming to Wii U.

“We had an initial look at the Wii U, but given the size of the team and compared to where we were last time, just developing for the Playstation 3 is a significant addition.”

He did say it had a "Horrible CPU", but never said it was technically impossible. They just don't have the funds to develop another version of the game. People should be worried that Metro is even released for any platform at this point.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:13 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Why are people excited that theirs "shipped"? I've seen it for sale in 2 Wal Marts and an EB Games in Ottawa area. I thought this was supposed to be a hard one to get your hands on? I remember people lining up all over the GTA when the Wii came out, my friends couldn't get theirs for 6+ months after launch. Doesn't seem to be a lot of hype surrounding this system at all. I really hope Nintendo returns to glory soon. This is so sad for me.
Just a fluke. People couldn't get the Wii for months after it came out but my brother walked in to Walmart in the middle of the day on launch week and they were well stocked with them (ended up buying one and I paid him back). Unless you're at the mall every day and there's always multiple units in stock I'm chalking it up to luck that you saw any.

Old
11-21-2012, 01:45 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Nintendo strength has always been their franchise titles, people will buy anything Super Mario or Zelda related no matter what..

Old
11-21-2012, 02:42 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
The Wii U has GPGPU functions, a DSP, etc to offload the CPU. It's a GPU dependent box, which makes porting from the current HD twins a bit more troublesome.

As for the "heating" thing, Nintendo's build quality is unmatched and the Wii U never runs at more than ~40w. Unlikely that we see huge hardware issues.

Old
11-21-2012, 03:02 AM
Osprey

What seems to be the case is that Nintendo banked on the GPU and RAM, putting more of their per-unit budget into those than the CPU. The result is that games can have great visuals, which are handled by the GPU, but can't do any better when it comes to the number of enemies and physics, which are handled by the CPU. In other words, a developer may not be able to add any more enemies, flying debris or projectiles than they can on the XBox 360 and PS3 (or even have to reduce them a little), but the ones that they do have can look quite a bit better (higher polygon counts, higher quality textures and so on).

If you think about it, high numbers of enemies and projectiles are mostly features of war/combat ("hardcore") games, which Nintendo has always been reluctant to cater to, so it's not all that surprising that they've not put in a CPU that such games need more than other games. What this may mean, though, is that the Wii U may not be the best console for such war/combat/hardcore games. Unlike past generations, Nintendo owners will be able to buy and play many of them, which is certainly better than not even having the choice, but those who are really into such games and want the best experiences may prefer to buy them for the next versions of the XBox and PS, instead. Then again, if you're a hardcore gamer, you probably expected as much all along and weren't really counting on the Wii U to be the go-to console for such games, anyways.

Last edited by Osprey: 11-21-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old
11-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Declassified

Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Just a fluke. People couldn't get the Wii for months after it came out but my brother walked in to Walmart in the middle of the day on launch week and they were well stocked with them (ended up buying one and I paid him back). Unless you're at the mall every day and there's always multiple units in stock I'm chalking it up to luck that you saw any.
no

theres multiple units at walmart on oglivie and trainyards. and i saw some at EB at the train yards.

Old
11-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post

Here's some more information that says the Wii U is probably More than 50% more powerful than the PS3:

Previously rumored to be roughly 50% more powerful than PS3. (Source: IGN) Recent reports of actual hardware however suggest it to be much greater, putting it around 20% less powerful than the next gen Xbox (which is rumored to be at least 6 times more powerful than current gen consoles). Again, all rumors however.

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/wii-u/Wii_U_Tech_Specs

Quote:
Storage
Internal flash memory: 8GB - $299 for Basic Set, 32GB - $349 Deluxe Set.
Expandable memory via external USB hard drive and SDHC memory cards.

CPU
IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor

IBM has also revealed it to be a 45nm chip, with embedded DRAM. Additionally, the CPU is based on the same chip that is used in the Watson supercomputer, implying it is a Power7 model. (Source: Kotaku)

Previously rumored to be roughly 50% more powerful than PS3. (Source: IGN) Recent reports of actual hardware however suggest it to be much greater, putting it around 20% less powerful than the next gen Xbox (which is rumored to be at least 6 times more powerful than current gen consoles). Again, all rumors however.

GPU
AMD Radeon-based High Definition GPU

Reports from 2011 suggest it is based on the RV770 architecture, unlike previous reports which merely pointed to the general R700 series and supports DirectX 10.1
This chip is used in ATi's Radeon HD 4800 series cards
"Eyefinity-like multi-display tech for up to four SD video streams"
According rumors about details leaked by a Ubisoft employee just before E3 2012, the console uses an AMD Radeon HD 6770 and supports DirectX 11
Note that none of this is official from Nintendo
Sources: Engadget, GameWatch[1]

RAM
The Wii U comes with 2GBs of RAM. 1GB is devoted to Gaming, the other 1GB is devoted to the Wii U's operating system.

Wii U Daily Rumors
In early December, Wii U Daily reported hardware information supposedly received from a Japanese developer. They consisted of:

Quad-core, 3 GHz PowerPC-based 45 nm CPU, very similar to the Xbox 360 chip.
768kb of DRAM “embedded” with the CPU, and shared between CPU and GPU
Unknown, 40 nm ATi-based GPU

While Wii U Daily suggested that this would put the Wii U on par with the Xbox 360 in terms of performance[2], PCMag.com clarified, that not only were some of the details inevitably misreported, but that just the processor specs would, " ' In terms of raw power, ... put the Wii U way ahead of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.' "

INPUT/OUTPUT
Four USB 2.0 connector slots, with support for Wii LAN adapters.
Dimensions

Height
1.8 inches

Width
6.8 inches

Length
10.5 inches

Weight
1.6kg (3.5 pounds)

Media, Video & Audio

Media
12-centimeter proprietary optical discs holding 25 Gigabytes, equivalent to a single layer Blu-Ray Disc (Source: Kotaku)
12-centimeter Wii optical discs

Supported Resolutions

1080p
1080i
720p
480p
480i

Supported Video Output Connections
HDMI 1.4
Component
S-video
Composite

Audio Output
AV Multi Out connector
six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI

Source: Nintendo.com
I've never understood why everyone gets so hung up on Specs. As you can see from the above post we've known most of the Wii U specs for quite some time.

It's the games that matter. I've had way more fun with my Wii than with my PS3 and the PS3 is a lot more powerful than the Wii.

My favourite system of all time is the Sega Dreamcast (it's still hooked up and we still play it from time to time) and it wasn't the most powerful system of it's time.

If you look at the most popular systems of each generation you'll see that the most powerful is rarely (if ever) the most popular:

NES (Sega Master System was more powerful)
SNES (Sega Genesis & Neo Geo were more powerful)
PS1 (Sega Saturn & Nintendo 64 were more powerful)
PS2 (Xbox1 & Nintendo GameCube were more powerful)
Wii (Xbox 360 & PS3 were more powerful)

Nintendo Gameboy (The Sega Game Gear was more powerful)
Nintendo DS (The PSP was more powerful)
Nintendo 3DS (The PSP Vita was more powerful)

The 3DO & Atari Jaguar also slot in there too, they were also both more powerful than their competitors.

So just relax, stop getting so tied up in specifications and enjoy playing the games that you like. If you don't like Nintendo or the Wii U then don't buy it.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:27 AM
Hizaki
Taylor Swift 1989 :)

Quote:
I've never understood why everyone gets so hung up on Specs. As you can see from the above post we've known most of the Wii U specs for quite some time.

It's the games that matter. I've had way more fun with my Wii than with my PS3 and the PS3 is a lot more powerful than the Wii.

My favourite system of all time is the Sega Dreamcast (it's still hooked up and we still play it from time to time) and it wasn't the most powerful system of it's time.

If you look at the most popular systems of each generation you'll see that the most powerful is rarely (if ever) the most popular:

The 3DO & Atari Jaguar also slot in there too, they were also both more powerful than their competitors.

So just relax, stop getting so tied up in specifications and enjoy playing the games that you like. If you don't like Nintendo or the Wii U then don't buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
Nintendo strength has always been their franchise titles, people will buy anything Super Mario or Zelda related no matter what..
I agree. Even though I upgraded to a 7950 for my desktop PC in June and the WiiU supposedly only has a 4800 series or 6770...it doesn't matter as long as the console runs smoothly. For consoles, specs don't matter nearly as much as the games.

Strong library of games as well as the key franchise games will make it a success.

I didn't get a PS3 until Dec. 2010 when it already had finally built a strong library, but IIRC Wii and 360 had a strong library to start.

Personally, Wii never had enough titles to appeal to me, but for most people it did (massively successful with limited hardware). I suppose the same will hold true for WiiU by the time PS4/720 roll out

Since I'm still only 2 years into my PS3, I won't be getting a newer console for awhile, but I'm interested to see where the WiiU will go in the next few years and the new games.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Hulu Plus is available now too

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMosher View Post
Don't believe the press reviews, Netflix is available right now. Woooo!
Hulu Plus launches on Wii U with eye on dual-screen experience

The service allows users to watch shows on the television, but the GamePad will display information about shows, episodes, and other information:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...en-experience/

Old
11-21-2012, 10:49 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Nintendo's Wii U flying off store shelves

Quote:
Why are people excited that theirs "shipped"? I've seen it for sale in 2 Wal Marts and an EB Games in Ottawa area. I thought this was supposed to be a hard one to get your hands on? I remember people lining up all over the GTA when the Wii came out, my friends couldn't get theirs for 6+ months after launch. Doesn't seem to be a lot of hype surrounding this system at all. I really hope Nintendo returns to glory soon. This is so sad for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
no

theres multiple units at walmart on oglivie and trainyards. and i saw some at EB at the train yards.
Nintendo's Wii U flying off store shelves

Long-awaited video game console is one of this holiday season's hottest items

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/entertai...#ixzz2CsAUngm0

Nintendo Wii U Sales to Exceed Predecessor:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/benzinga...d-predecessor/

Old
11-21-2012, 10:51 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Wii U profitable with just one game sale, Nintendo reveals

Wii U profitable with just one game sale, Nintendo reveals
Suggests loss per console little more than a tenner:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ntendo-reveals

It only takes one game sale to make the Wii U profitable:

http://www.dreamcast.gamezone.com/pr...i-u-profitable

Old
11-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Protest the Hero

Went into EB today, traded in $250 worth of games. Asked if I could put that towards a Wii U deluxe version but he told me they couldn't put anymore people on the waiting list, so I got a basic one instead, they had two in stock. Is it the basic set that you guys are seeing everywhere?

I guess this means I won't be buying any retail games digitally unless they're on sale, as I won't get the 10% discount, but at least I'll avoid fingerprints!

Old
11-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

'Wii U' Doom And Gloom Continues, But For Nintendo Content Is King

Quote:

A good read on this very subject:

'Wii U' Doom And Gloom Continues, But For Nintendo Content Is King

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...ntent-is-king/

Quote:
Basically every other day we hear some new awful thing about Nintendo’s latest console, the Wii U.

Recently the developer 4A Games told NowGamer that the “Wii U has a horrible, slow CPU” and that this is why their game Metro: Last Light won’t be released on the system.

Numerous other complaints have also surfaced: the console’s launch-date third party games are not as good or as stable as they are on other systems. Games like Mass Effect 3 and Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition don’t run as well, and so forth.

Furthermore, the 2GB of DDR3 memory in the system apparently have a max bandwidth of just 12.8GB/s compared to much higher bandwidth on the Xbox 360 and PS3. (AnandTech tore apart a Wii U so you should head over there for a detailed breakdown of the hardware, though mysteries do remain.)

Passing Judgment

I remain unconvinced by all of these arguments.

First of all, the developers at 4A Games may indeed not want to port their games to the Wii U and may believe the CPU is to blame for this, but the CPU is only one piece of the puzzle here.

Whether it’s as slow as they claim it to be doesn’t take into account the GPU which has not been fully analyzed yet so far as I can tell and which at least appears to be the core of the new system and its most powerful component.

Second, while the memory bandwidth is disappointing, this calculation fails to take into account the eDRAM—on-die memory that is much faster and more efficient than standard RAM. It’s also a very one-dimensional way of thinking about memory. How efficiently the memory hierarchy is structured and how much games utilizes the on-die RAM will be paramount in the Wii U’s success (or failure.)

And finally, judging a console by launch-date third-party ports is simply absurd. Not only are launch titles rarely good examples of a system’s capabilities, ports are a terrible indicator and especially terrible when we’re discussing a brand-new system.

Efficiency and Design over Power

Finally, the fact remains that Nintendo is simply not that interested in producing an expensive, high-power machine. They’re much more interested in a machine that can play HD games and utilizes both power and resources efficiently. Nintendo wants to make a profit from its console sales rather than sell at a loss, a strategy that worked well for the company with the Wii.

Since the GameCube, “Nintendo has concerned itself with how to improve the game computer’s efficiency while constraining power consumption, and this has been consistent in that design concept,” Nintendo Senior Manager of R&D Genyo Takeda says.

“This time we fully embraced the idea of using an MCM [multi-chip module] for our gaming console,” Takeda adds. “An MCM is where the aforementioned Multi-core CPU chip and the GPU chip are built into a single component. The GPU itself also contains quite a large on-chip memory. Due to this MCM, the package costs less and we could speed up data exchange among two LSIs while lowering power consumption. And also the international division of labor in general, would be cost-effective.”

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata adds: “No matter how great the numbers are that you can boast, can you only draw that out under certain conditions, or can you actually draw out its performance consistently when you use it? Insisting on the latter way of thinking has always been at the root of hardware and system development at Nintendo.”

This may be a reflection of a changed business model from the days of the Nintendo 64 which attempted out-spec the competition but failed to attract the kind of sales we’ve seen with the Wii.

Content is King

Nintendo’s strategy going forward appears to be content, content, content. This means we may indeed see higher-powered (and possibly more expensive) systems from Sony and Microsoft, but Nintendo will have the jump on the competition in terms of both new content and a player base.

It will also have the jump on asymmetric gameplay with the combination of the gamepad screen and the TV screen, something that in practice I can already testify is something that can be quite fun.

“The GamePad doesn’t just introduce a new type of game play, it redefines an entire dynamic,” Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America and chief operating officer, said at E3. ”With asymmetric game play, multiple experiences are possible in the same game at the same time.

“While games are the focus of this year’s E3, the Wii U story also includes the enhanced social connections and integrated entertainment experiences created by the GamePad.

“We’re providing a glimpse of that with the introduction of Miiverse and by revealing partnerships with some of the biggest content providers on the planet.”

I won’t argue with some of the complaints, however. The system does feel a little sluggish at times with load screens that are on par with other current systems. I was hoping for a snappier OS with snappier load times. Maybe further system updates can improve this, maybe not.

See Also: Wii U Review – Part One: First Impressions

Most importantly, there was never really any indication from Nintendo that the Wii U would be a high-powered gaming device set to rival the PC.

Nintendo never claimed they would outdistance the current HD systems in any revolutionary way. They’re sticking to a strategy that maintains hardware profitability and focuses on content they believe the Nintendo consumer base will enjoy, while attempting to reel in some new players with the Pro Controller and the increase in third-party content.

I fail to see how this is a poor strategy given the success of the Wii and given the fact that the Wii U does not rely on the same gimmicks that ended up making the Wii a less desirable console for some consumers and developers.

Nintendo has shown in recent years that it has a pretty good handle on what its customer base wants and how to deliver, and while I think skepticism is always important and well-warranted, I’d hesitate to write off the Wii U or its potential too soon.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:16 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
no

In addition to the difference between the standard and deluxe edition an increase in Wii-U units on the shelves compared to the Wii could also easily be explained by Nintendo shipping more Wii-U units at launch.

Not to mention the overall shipment is staggered throughout regions and it's never going to be perfect, there are probably regions where they shipped too many and have some extra's available, and other regions where they shipped too few and have a shortage. For example back when Rockband was a big thing and getting launched for Christmas, selling out everywhere, some people I know in Calgary traveled South of the border because they correctly figured if there was anywhere that didn't sell out then it would be in the bible belt.

Old
11-21-2012, 04:43 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Wii U Launch Lineup Review

Wii U Launch Lineup Review:

http://business.financialpost.com/20...-u-game-guide/

Old
11-21-2012, 04:51 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

so any word on what the Mario will look like?

Old
11-21-2012, 05:47 PM
DearDiary

vCash: 757
Dice, the developer of Battlefield has also come forward today about how weak the WiiU. He says that the WiiUs CPU will shorten its life with ports next gen. And says the WiiU will be a fun platform for... "Nintendo fans".

Old
11-21-2012, 05:51 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
no

It is all relative to where you live. Some places have some, some places are barren.

I know for a fact they are sold out completely in the Atlanta area

I remember for the Wii people saying they see them everywhere, but more people than not had to wait a year (I know for me it was nearly 18 months before I could walk into a store and see a Wii on the shelf)

Old
11-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

This system can be really infuriating with the absurd design decisions they made. The fact that I can't play super mario bros with a pro controller just wow.

Old
11-21-2012, 07:50 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
THQ made a comment today that the WiiU CPU was "Horrible and Slow". That they would have to scale the game down from the X360 to get it to run if they ever had time to port it

Some well known techies have also taken the WiiU apart and discovered that it has terrible airflow and likely to have overheating problems in the future
Might be true, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's just because THQ is a joke of a company.

Old
11-21-2012, 08:35 PM
P U L L H A R D

Quote:
no

We should be Ottawa friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
Went into EB today, traded in $250 worth of games. Asked if I could put that towards a Wii U deluxe version but he told me they couldn't put anymore people on the waiting list, so I got a basic one instead, they had two in stock. Is it the basic set that you guys are seeing everywhere?

I guess this means I won't be buying any retail games digitally unless they're on sale, as I won't get the 10% discount, but at least I'll avoid fingerprints!
Didn't see in the EB, but both walmarts had at least one of each. (Ogilvie and TY)

Old
11-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Declassified

Quote:
We should be Ottawa friends

Didn't see in the EB, but both walmarts had at least one of each. (Ogilvie and TY)
haha whereabouts are you?

Old
11-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
If content is king, then I really want to know if or how Nintendo is going to continue to lock down my favorite developers in the coming years. You got Platinum, now what are you going to do to attract Criterion, Obsidian, BioWare, Atlus, Irrational, Visceral, Ubisoft Montreal, Bethesda Game Studios, Gearbox, Rockstar..? I really don't care about the console holders beyond their studios, and the only first party studio I care about is Naughty Dog. But if Dragon Age 3 doesn't come out for WiiU, if Persona 5 isn't on WiiU, if Elder Scrolls 6: Elswyer isn't on WiiU... I just want to know what their plan is if 'content is king'. It better not mean that I get to save Peach for the millionth time. I'm past that point in my life. If she gets kidnapped again, then I say she's deliberately allowing it to happen. She actually wants to go with Bowser. How do you think he got all those kids? Daisy?

Old
11-21-2012, 09:56 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

I'll probably get one but not yet, I didn't get a PS3 until 2 years after it launched. I got the Wii 2 weeks after it launched.

My lack of video game playing should say its time to boot up and play again..then again, I'd rather go to the gym.

Old
11-21-2012, 10:45 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
If content is king, then I really want to know if or how Nintendo is going to continue to lock down my favorite developers in the coming years. You got Platinum, now what are you going to do to attract Criterion, Obsidian, BioWare, Atlus, Irrational, Visceral, Ubisoft Montreal, Bethesda Game Studios, Gearbox, Rockstar..? I really don't care about the console holders beyond their studios, and the only first party studio I care about is Naughty Dog. But if Dragon Age 3 doesn't come out for WiiU, if Persona 5 isn't on WiiU, if Elder Scrolls 6: Elswyer isn't on WiiU... I just want to know what their plan is if 'content is king'. It better not mean that I get to save Peach for the millionth time. I'm past that point in my life. If she gets kidnapped again, then I say she's deliberately allowing it to happen. She actually wants to go with Bowser. How do you think he got all those kids? Daisy?
If Nintendo's first party doesn't appeal to you, Nintendo systems never will. It's that simple.

I mean, even if they attracted all of those developers and their games - those games will still hit the PC and likely next-gen consoles with superior visuals and function, would you really support the Wii U versions? It's about exclusives.

Thing about Nintendo is they have some of the top studios in the world, all of them are developing Wii U software, and we've yet to see or hear from them.

Closed Thread