HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Wii U: Nintendo's Next Generation Console

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-22-2012, 12:38 AM
  #901
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,171
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
haha whereabouts are you?
Prince of Wales and Meadowlands area. What about you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
If content is king, then I really want to know if or how Nintendo is going to continue to lock down my favorite developers in the coming years. You got Platinum, now what are you going to do to attract Criterion, Obsidian, BioWare, Atlus, Irrational, Visceral, Ubisoft Montreal, Bethesda Game Studios, Gearbox, Rockstar..? I really don't care about the console holders beyond their studios, and the only first party studio I care about is Naughty Dog. But if Dragon Age 3 doesn't come out for WiiU, if Persona 5 isn't on WiiU, if Elder Scrolls 6: Elswyer isn't on WiiU... I just want to know what their plan is if 'content is king'. It better not mean that I get to save Peach for the millionth time. I'm past that point in my life. If she gets kidnapped again, then I say she's deliberately allowing it to happen. She actually wants to go with Bowser. How do you think he got all those kids? Daisy?
I share the exact same concern. The exclusives aren't enough anymore. I would gladly buy a WiiU if I knew it would have Zelda games + Mario games as good as N64 did, but after GC and Wii, I'm not entirely sure it will. With 3rd party support seemingly dwindling, its so hard to justify spending the money.

P U L L H A R D is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 05:33 AM
  #902
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
If Nintendo's first party doesn't appeal to you, Nintendo systems never will. It's that simple.

I mean, even if they attracted all of those developers and their games - those games will still hit the PC and likely next-gen consoles with superior visuals and function, would you really support the Wii U versions? It's about exclusives.

Thing about Nintendo is they have some of the top studios in the world, all of them are developing Wii U software, and we've yet to see or hear from them.
If all Nintendo is is their first party stuff, I don't understand why they remain in the hardware game, especially hardware they take a loss on. If the only thing they have to offer is their development studios, why are they a console holder? If the only thing on Steam was Valve games, if the only thing playing on Playstation was JapanStudio stuff, neither would matter.

And yeah, if Nintendo is just content to repeat everything they've done the last decade, I just don't know where it fits in my life anymore. And that sucks. I understand kids are your biggest audience, but it's not like Pixar has made just Toy Story for the last 15 years. I've saved Peach, I've rolled into a ball and got the ice beam, I inhaled Waddle Doo, I got the magical musical instrument... I don't need to do all that again.

NSMBU just made me realize that I don't know if Mario is applicable to my life anymore. Sucks.

Jill Sandwich is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 08:30 AM
  #903
Declassified
Registered User
 
Declassified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,801
vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Prince of Wales and Meadowlands area. What about you?
Oglivie Blair area, near the transit station. I grew up in your area though, I went to Pius.

Declassified is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:10 AM
  #904
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,171
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declassified View Post
Oglivie Blair area, near the transit station. I grew up in your area though, I went to Pius.
Oh, very cool. I live in one of the 4 apartment buildings in that area. I often drive down your way to see movies at the theatre there, as they often have movies either earlier or that others don't carry. I've only been here 2 years, but I like it. Traffic sucks, but thats the only big negative.

Do you know any good places to play pond hockey in winter? I go to Tanglewood, but its usually pretty busy. I'm always looking for a place to skate.

On topic: Jill, I think Mario is pretty played out at this point, too. Its not very relevant to my life either. I would kill for a Zelda game on par with Twilight Princess, though

P U L L H A R D is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:00 AM
  #905
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Well if the Wii U is popular enough, it might receive a lot of the great mid level games that have been coming fewer and fewer this generation. Making games is expensive, and it's just going to get more expensive. The indie scene is great, and Nintendo seems to be reaching out to them more, the huge budget games will go to PS4/720/PC(hopefully), and the Wii U could be home to the still great, but lower budget games that companies are afraid of taking risks on. If it becomes exceedingly popular, with great software sales, then it will see versions of the blockbusters too.

Some of my thoughts on my system. It's actually smaller than I thought it would be, judging from pictures it looked really long, but it's barely longer than the original Wii. The controller is bigger than I thought, but it's comfortable to hold.

The OS menus are too slow, I expect this to improve in the coming weeks, but with all that dedicated RAM, it should really be more snappy.

Is there no way to "Yeah!" replies? As far as I can see, you can only "yeah" a starting comment. Sucks for the people answering questions if they can't get recognition for it, I don't see a reply button either, but maybe that comes up after you've typed in a response?

Black Ops 2 related, does anyone know how to get the 2 player working where one person plays only on the gamepad, and the other plays on the TV? I got splitscreen working, but there didn't seem to be an option on the TV or the pad to switch to pad only for player 2. It kept saying I couldn't add another controller if the gamepad was the primary screen too.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:08 AM
  #906
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
If all Nintendo is is their first party stuff, I don't understand why they remain in the hardware game, especially hardware they take a loss on. If the only thing they have to offer is their development studios, why are they a console holder? If the only thing on Steam was Valve games, if the only thing playing on Playstation was JapanStudio stuff, neither would matter.
Nintendo is a great deal larger than SCEJ or Valve, and have many more studios working on a wider variety of games. It's a fact to say that it's a self-supporting company, no third party publisher has the licenses or support that Nintendo does. Whether or not that appeals to you right now is nobodies choice but your own.

Quote:
And yeah, if Nintendo is just content to repeat everything they've done the last decade, I just don't know where it fits in my life anymore. And that sucks. I understand kids are your biggest audience, but it's not like Pixar has made just Toy Story for the last 15 years. I've saved Peach, I've rolled into a ball and got the ice beam, I inhaled Waddle Doo, I got the magical musical instrument... I don't need to do all that again.
The intimation that it's a Mario factory, or that entries are too similar entry-to-entry, is mostly factually inaccurate. I mean, Metroid Prime is not Galaxy 2 nor is it Fire Emblem or Paper Mario. All of those games are excellent. There's plenty of variety. Variety that appeals to you specifically? Can't speak for your tastes, but they'll hit their audience because their franchises exceed the scope of any from a developer like Platinum or Visceral.

And then there's exclusives via partnership, like Zombi U, Rayman Legends, Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101.

Quote:
NSMBU just made me realize that I don't know if Mario is applicable to my life anymore. Sucks.
NSMB 2 was mediocre, but U is probably the best 2D sidescroller of the year. If classic, fluid, well designed 2D Mario isn't your thing because you're tired of rescuing the princess (seems absurd to care about the plot of a game like this anyway), that's sad indeed.

Although I'd recommend you take a look at the eShop, which already boasts a ton of great original content. The Wii U is easily the most indie friendly console ever, and the announced incoming releases already dwarf XBLA and PSN IMO.

SK13 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:26 AM
  #907
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
If all Nintendo is is their first party stuff, I don't understand why they remain in the hardware game, especially hardware they take a loss on. If the only thing they have to offer is their development studios, why are they a console holder? If the only thing on Steam was Valve games, if the only thing playing on Playstation was JapanStudio stuff, neither would matter.

And yeah, if Nintendo is just content to repeat everything they've done the last decade, I just don't know where it fits in my life anymore. And that sucks. I understand kids are your biggest audience, but it's not like Pixar has made just Toy Story for the last 15 years. I've saved Peach, I've rolled into a ball and got the ice beam, I inhaled Waddle Doo, I got the magical musical instrument... I don't need to do all that again.

NSMBU just made me realize that I don't know if Mario is applicable to my life anymore. Sucks.
If you're not having fun then don't buy/play those games. The whole point of playing video games is to have fun.

Though I do suspect that you'll be back once/if you have kids.

Neely2005 is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 02:01 PM
  #908
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
If you're not having fun then don't buy/play those games. The whole point of playing video games is to have fun.

Though I do suspect that you'll be back once/if you have kids.
I suppose that depends on what you mean by back (I own a WiiU, my girlfriend is dicking around in Miiverse right now). I don't think I need to buy my child the Zelda game that's out in 2022, because Link to the Past has already been invented (and I have a SNES set up ready to go). Super Metroid has already been invented.

And also, let's not pretend that there aren't great kids/E for Everyone games on other systems. Hell, there's E games that I love as a 26 year old man.

Quote:
Nintendo is a great deal larger than SCEJ or Valve, and have many more studios working on a wider variety of games. It's a fact to say that it's a self-supporting company, no third party publisher has the licenses or support that Nintendo does. Whether or not that appeals to you right now is nobodies choice but your own.
Dude, maybe ratchet down the personal offense that I don't see any reason to play Mario anymore.

Quote:
The intimation that it's a Mario factory, or that entries are too similar entry-to-entry, is mostly factually inaccurate. I mean, Metroid Prime is not Galaxy 2 nor is it Fire Emblem or Paper Mario. All of those games are excellent. There's plenty of variety. Variety that appeals to you specifically? Can't speak for your tastes, but they'll hit their audience because their franchises exceed the scope of any from a developer like Platinum or Visceral.

And then there's exclusives via partnership, like Zombi U, Rayman Legends, Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101.

NSMB 2 was mediocre, but U is probably the best 2D sidescroller of the year. If classic, fluid, well designed 2D Mario isn't your thing because you're tired of rescuing the princess (seems absurd to care about the plot of a game like this anyway), that's sad indeed.

Although I'd recommend you take a look at the eShop, which already boasts a ton of great original content. The Wii U is easily the most indie friendly console ever, and the announced incoming releases already dwarf XBLA and PSN IMO.
The franchise entries are too similar entry-to-entry. I've played Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, Super Mario World and Mario 64, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario. I don't see any reason to play Metroid Prime 3, Galaxy 2, any of the Paper Mario sequels since Thousand Year Door. Because they're not doing enough with them. Some of your references are five years old or more.

And like I said, Nintendo is no longer a developer that I want to see what they're doing. I find it strange that you talk mess on Platinum and then pump Bayonetta 2 and 101. Platinum is kind of the reason I bought the WiiU (that and I want to have all the consoles).

And yeah, sorry, but Mario plays the same as Mario has for the last decade. The first New Super Mario was a great throwback... the last three have been more of the same, and there's no narrative to keep me interested in stagnant gameplay. There's no reason to play NSMBU when I can turn on Super Mario World.

... that last sentence. Indie friendly console, already dwarf XBLA and PSN. You're ... you're not even being intellectually honest. I feel bad for even getting into this discussion now. What a fool I was.


Last edited by Jill Sandwich: 11-22-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Jill Sandwich is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 02:18 PM
  #909
vippe
Registered User
 
vippe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,882
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
So what do those of you who have got the console think? Games any fun? All I care about.

vippe is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 04:05 PM
  #910
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
I suppose that depends on what you mean by back (I own a WiiU, my girlfriend is dicking around in Miiverse right now). I don't think I need to buy my child the Zelda game that's out in 2022, because Link to the Past has already been invented (and I have a SNES set up ready to go). Super Metroid has already been invented.


The franchise entries are too similar entry-to-entry. I've played Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, Super Mario World and Mario 64, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario. I don't see any reason to play Metroid Prime 3, Galaxy 2, any of the Paper Mario sequels since Thousand Year Door. Because they're not doing enough with them. Some of your references are five years old or more.

And like I said, Nintendo is no longer a developer that I want to see what they're doing. I find it strange that you talk mess on Platinum and then pump Bayonetta 2 and 101. Platinum is kind of the reason I bought the WiiU (that and I want to have all the consoles).

And yeah, sorry, but Mario plays the same as Mario has for the last decade. The first New Super Mario was a great throwback... the last three have been more of the same, and there's no narrative to keep me interested in stagnant gameplay. There's no reason to play NSMBU when I can turn on Super Mario World.
I don't get your reasoning here. Why play any new game if it plays similar to any game released ever. The NSMB games play differently than SMW, the DS game was average, but NSMB Wii was amazing, not to mention it was the first ever Mario game with multilayer. Can't say anything about the two recent entries, but I'm tired of the art style. The gameplay may be similar, but I love 2D platformer, and they're always at the top of the game.

I don't play games for the story for the most part, maybe even we're different that way. It may be the same basic gameplay, but levels are different, power ups are different, and the gameplay is as rock solid as ever, in my opinion of course.

The galaxy games are almost nothing like 64, aside from being 3D platformer, and the sequel is better than the first game in every way pretty much.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 04:18 PM
  #911
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,236
vCash: 50
Agreed that they have to change Mario a bit , I was personally disappointed in both Galaxies , I thought it was Mario 64 all over again except not as fun.Mario 64 was a massive classic and to me is 2nd only to Super Mario 3.I hate the idea of going back to 2D style , I want a completely new concept , not as far as graphic or dimension , but as far as ideas and levels and ways to enter those.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 05:07 PM
  #912
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I don't get your reasoning here. Why play any new game if it plays similar to any game released ever.
Refinement, new mechanics, and narrative or other content that gives a game a life beyond pure gameplay mechanics. Uncharted and Gears have similar mechanics, but there is life in those games beyond cover based shooting.

What was amazing about the early Nintendo greats was that they did refine the games with every entry; Mario 3 from 1 was a colossal leap on all fronts, moreso with World from 3. World 2 was kind of a let down, but then 64 broke new ground by doing 3D platforming better than anyone ever had. And then it's kind of been slapping new coats of paint and new systems, but not necessarily new refinements, ever since Sunshine. It's the same thing we're lodging at the Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed and other mined franchises as they age, but even they are doing new stories, settings, twists on the established formula. Even then, 10 years from now, I don't want to still be shooting hostage takers in slow motion or jumping into hay bales either.

Now that I think on how they're the largest developer in the world, it's completely crazy that they haven't made a new franchise in-house since ... Pikmin? Animal Crossing?

And actually now that I think of it, I'm probably more interested in the WiiU Animal Crossing than any Mario or even Zelda game.

Quote:
The NSMB games play differently than SMW, the DS game was average, but NSMB Wii was amazing, not to mention it was the first ever Mario game with multilayer.
*push glasses up, breathe through nose* well actually the original Mario Bros. arcade game featured...

Quote:
I don't play games for the story for the most part, maybe even we're different that way. It may be the same basic gameplay, but levels are different, power ups are different, and the gameplay is as rock solid as ever, in my opinion of course.
After 20 years, I need more than a map pack on mechanics that were honed and perfected when I was 12.

Quote:
The galaxy games are almost nothing like 64, aside from being 3D platformer, and the sequel is better than the first game in every way pretty much.
I'd say the Galaxy games are the logical extension of what started in 64. Galaxy was 64 with a keener eye towards the gameplay possibilities of perspective.

Jill Sandwich is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 06:29 PM
  #913
karnige
Real Life FTL
 
karnige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 12,299
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
Agreed that they have to change Mario a bit , I was personally disappointed in both Galaxies , I thought it was Mario 64 all over again except not as fun.Mario 64 was a massive classic and to me is 2nd only to Super Mario 3.I hate the idea of going back to 2D style , I want a completely new concept , not as far as graphic or dimension , but as far as ideas and levels and ways to enter those.
why? the sales of mario games kill it for revenue.

just got my wiiU today! shiny black! can't wait to start this bad boy up

karnige is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 06:47 PM
  #914
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post

*push glasses up, breathe through nose* well actually the original Mario Bros. arcade game featured...
You're right. I meant in a more typical platform design. NSMB Wii was basically the game I wanted ever since SMB3 title screen.

To your point on Cod and the like. We get those every single year. Up until recently, we only got 1 game from each franchise per generation. There have only been 4* 3D Mario platforms ever released.

*Super Mario 3D Land plays like a hybrid of the two styles, but even if we count it, that's 5. We hadn't gotten a proper 2D Mario game since the SNES, before the Wii version came along as well.

I have no problem admitting nostalgia is a powerful emotion for me, and I'll gladly take more Mario games, as long as they continue to be high quality. I think it helps that I never played Sunshine unless I was at the dentist waiting room growing up, and I never owned a GBA, so I had a large gap between actual Mario games.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:36 PM
  #915
Unholy Diver
Registered User
 
Unholy Diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: in the midnight sea
Posts: 13,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
So what do those of you who have got the console think? Games any fun? All I care about.
I think its pretty sweet, I got the basic model and Super Mario Bros Wii U and once I got the updates downloaded and finally got to play I would say its definitely a good game, and great looking as well

I was worried the controller would be awkward but it really fits well in your hands and the touch screen is pretty neat

Unholy Diver is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 09:37 PM
  #916
Unholy Diver
Registered User
 
Unholy Diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: in the midnight sea
Posts: 13,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
If you're not having fun then don't buy/play those games. The whole point of playing video games is to have fun.

Though I do suspect that you'll be back once/if you have kids.
Are you crazy? Games are supposed to be fun? I thought the main thing was for people to argue about the specs of the hardware and argue which one sold more units?

Unholy Diver is offline  
Old
11-22-2012, 11:49 PM
  #917
P U L L H A R D
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 24,171
vCash: 420
Lol, played the Rayman game demo today. If this is supposed to be the future of gaming, I give up. Nintendo is a huge ? for me right now.

P U L L H A R D is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 02:32 AM
  #918
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Lol, played the Rayman game demo today. If this is supposed to be the future of gaming, I give up. Nintendo is a huge ? for me right now.
I thought the Rayman demo was pretty fun, I played the cave level with Murphy and the rock level that plays Black Betty by Ram Jam, the Murphy one was okay, I'd like to play it with a bunch of people but I had a lot of fun with the Black Betty level, overall I liked it quite a bit.

After a few days I'm pretty stoked on it. I'd go ahead and say that SMBU is the best Mario since Super Mario World. AC3 is pretty fun and Scribblenauts is adorable and a good time as well. Can't wait for Amazing 101 and Pikmin 3. I'm pretty stoked overall.

Winroba is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 03:45 AM
  #919
SK13
Mo'Linguish
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post

Dude, maybe ratchet down the personal offense that I don't see any reason to play Mario anymore.
There wasn't an ounce of personal offense taken from me or intended by most post, and looking back, I don't even see how you got to that conclusion. If anything, I feel like I was stating the obvious: Don't like the games, don't buy the system. You don't need to spend an hour rationalizing it in a thread about the system.

I happen to think that BioWare and Epic have both free fallen out of the top-50 developers in the business and have released multiple shoddy products in a row - I'm not the only who feels that way - but I can understand that people feel differently. I don't need to go into those threads and say obvious things like "it doesn't appeal to me anymore" and then justify it for twenty more posts.

Quote:
The franchise entries are too similar entry-to-entry. I've played Super Metroid and Metroid Prime, Super Mario World and Mario 64, Fire Emblem, Paper Mario. I don't see any reason to play Metroid Prime 3, Galaxy 2, any of the Paper Mario sequels since Thousand Year Door. Because they're not doing enough with them. Some of your references are five years old or more.
See, this is where you go from having a perfectly fine opinion to being factually inaccurate. You flat gave me developers that interest you, and most of them differentiate far less than the series' you've presented. Ubi Soft Montreal? Criterion? BioWare? I mean, I'm not against these guys at all, and I'm perfectly on board with being a fan of their games and not Nintendo's, but to make an argument about differentiation you either do not know what you're talking about or you're making an empty argument for arguments sake.

Quote:
And like I said, Nintendo is no longer a developer that I want to see what they're doing. I find it strange that you talk mess on Platinum and then pump Bayonetta 2 and 101. Platinum is kind of the reason I bought the WiiU (that and I want to have all the consoles).
I didn't "talk mess" (whatever that means) on Platinum at all. I think they're a very good developer. Their games just don't sell or have much influence in the business, beyond the niche. My point was that whatever Nintendo develops, they're going to need partnerships outside the company for additional exclusives to support the system. You mentioned The Elder Scrolls VI - but I think an exclusive game from a developer like Bethesda, or in this case, say, Monolith Soft, will have a greater impact because multiplats will likely look, run and sell better on other systems.

Quote:
And yeah, sorry, but Mario plays the same as Mario has for the last decade.
That's like saying Halo 4 plays like Doom. It's not true at all. NSMB plays like classic 2D Mario by design, but Galaxy is different from Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine in more profound ways than Skyrim is different from Morrowwind. The entire philosophy and structure of the design is different, the entire basis for the games challenge is different.

Quote:
The first New Super Mario was a great throwback... the last three have been more of the same, and there's no narrative to keep me interested in stagnant gameplay. There's no reason to play NSMBU when I can turn on Super Mario World.
I'm not sure how you arrive at that conclusion... there's no reason to play a great 2D sidescroller because there's another great 2D sidescroller in that series from 20 years ago? Other than the multiplayer, and new gameplay elements, and the fact that the games design is top notch... no, I imagine there isn't a reason to play it other than it's good.

You're trolling now.

Quote:
... that last sentence. Indie friendly console, already dwarf XBLA and PSN. You're ... you're not even being intellectually honest. I feel bad for even getting into this discussion now. What a fool I was.
?

The actual games already up on the eShop utterly dominate the new releases on XBLA or PSN's indie section(s). XBLA is notoriously hard to get a game through the selection process, and developers can't choose their own prices. The eShop has dev-friendly pricing, release and selection process, and there are already about two dozen exclusive games from quality indie publishers on the way or already released.

It dwarfs what Sony and Microsoft are doing with indies. Swing by http://notenoughshaders.com and read some stuff.

SK13 is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 07:49 AM
  #920
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
I happen to think that BioWare and Epic have both free fallen out of the top-50 developers in the business and have released multiple shoddy products in a row - I'm not the only who feels that way - but I can understand that people feel differently. I don't need to go into those threads and say obvious things like "it doesn't appeal to me anymore" and then justify it for twenty more posts.
I didn't come after you, you initiated this argument. It's pretty low to confront someone and then tell them they ought to back down.

Quote:
See, this is where you go from having a perfectly fine opinion to being factually inaccurate. You flat gave me developers that interest you, and most of them differentiate far less than the series' you've presented. Ubi Soft Montreal? Criterion? BioWare? I mean, I'm not against these guys at all, and I'm perfectly on board with being a fan of their games and not Nintendo's, but to make an argument about differentiation you either do not know what you're talking about or you're making an empty argument for arguments sake.
From game to game? Depends on the specific entry, but they do. Granted some like Criterion are a specific genre developer (and their last game was heartbreakingly flawed). Like I said, I'm not necessarily going to want to just be doing the cover-based shooting thing, or the shimmy-sideways-until-there's-room thing in 10-15 years. Because that's where I am now with hopping and bopping Goombas. If Ubi Montreal is still having you eavesdrop on Templars and then leap off a perch and stick 'em with arm knives in 2027, I'd say they messed up.

Actually by then, I'm sure that'll seem like a delightful throwback like New Super Mario was.

Quote:
I didn't "talk mess" (whatever that means) on Platinum at all. I think they're a very good developer. Their games just don't sell or have much influence in the business, beyond the niche. My point was that whatever Nintendo develops, they're going to need partnerships outside the company for additional exclusives to support the system. You mentioned The Elder Scrolls VI - but I think an exclusive game from a developer like Bethesda, or in this case, say, Monolith Soft, will have a greater impact because multiplats will likely look, run and sell better on other systems.
Platinum making Bayonetta 2 exclusive (though we'll see if its a timed thing or if Nintendo actually owns it now) is kind of the thing I'm riding on with my purchase. I don't know where you get me disagreeing with you here; I want to know if or how Nintendo is going to attract (or hell, build) the teams that make the games I like, or make something new. If I were them, I'd look at trying to lock up Atlus and From (or sign another Capcom Five deal). Or actually make something out of whole cloth in-house.

Honestly I think their 'fans' are almost the reason why they've done so little new stuff. The front page of the WiiU is just people going "make a Kirby game!" Kind of hard to bother with new franchises if people are perfectly content going to get the Triforce yet again.

Quote:
That's like saying Halo 4 plays like Doom. It's not true at all. NSMB plays like classic 2D Mario by design, but Galaxy is different from Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine in more profound ways than Skyrim is different from Morrowwind. The entire philosophy and structure of the design is different, the entire basis for the games challenge is different.
I disagree. I think if you said Halo 4 is basically the same game (in gameplay) as Halo 1 I would agree with you; to Halo 4's detriment. Even if I liked it then, it's played out for me now. The 'new' guns are about as revolutionary as the 'new' suits and flowers in New SMB. Maybe if it was in a new setting with a new story, it could give something around the core gameplay to renew my interest, but no, it's Chief fighting the Covenant... It's Mario fighting the Koopa Army.

Maybe if Mario fought the Covenant. Hopping and bopping Grunts. Ducking plasma grenades.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you arrive at that conclusion... there's no reason to play a great 2D sidescroller because there's another great 2D sidescroller in that series from 20 years ago? Other than the multiplayer, and new gameplay elements, and the fact that the games design is top notch... no, I imagine there isn't a reason to play it other than it's good.
Because it's not Metallica releasing a new album, it's Metallica rerecording Master of Puppets. The songs remain the same. The first New game was cool, nice to go back to it. Now the New games have been as badly mined as the Call of Duty.

And keep in mind, I'm not saying "I don't need to play 2D sidescrollers anymore" I'm saying I don't need to play Mario sidescrollers. Unless they do something new and interesting, which they haven't. I love 2D Metroidvania games, but I had more fun with Shadow Complex than I did with any recent Metroid or Castlevania. Probably because it wasn't just "go fight Dracula again".

Quote:
The actual games already up on the eShop utterly dominate the new releases on XBLA or PSN's indie section(s). XBLA is notoriously hard to get a game through the selection process, and developers can't choose their own prices. The eShop has dev-friendly pricing, release and selection process, and there are already about two dozen exclusive games from quality indie publishers on the way or already released.
Wait a minute, you're comparing to eShop to XBLA and then leaving off the majority of the games on XBLA, and then saying that its 'dominating'. I actually really like Mighty Switch Force, but Chasing Aurora is not as good as Dust, or Mark of the Ninja, or Trials, (someone will bring up Journey but it WILL NOT BE ME), or any of the games XBLA and PSN have from the last five years. It doesn't even have Bastion yet (though it will soon enough because Supergiant would port that game to toasters if they could).

I think the slots (on XBLA) are messed up too, but that's more of consequence of a system designed in a marketplace that was totally different. I will say this; as bad as the marketing for XBLA games has become (it was way better before the 2011 update), its still better at telling people when a new thing is out. If you just turned on your WiiU and weren't totally up on the industry, would you even know there was a game called Chasing Aurora?


Last edited by Jill Sandwich: 11-23-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Jill Sandwich is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 01:56 PM
  #921
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking
 
Jill Sandwich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arklay Mansion
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,674
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
If you read that thing about the WiiU upscaling Wii games to 720 properly, it's exactly right. I popped in The Last Story to test and it's like it's a different game. Way less blur and fog than when I played it through component on the Wii.

Jill Sandwich is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 02:35 PM
  #922
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,264
vCash: 500
Where are people finding the Rayman Legends demo? I can't seem to find it in the eshop.

edit: Now that I think of it, I assume you guys are referring to the in-store demos.

Heh, just as I edited my post I see the post under mine.

__________________
Interested in checking out 50+ years worth of covers from "The Hockey News?" Check out my collection here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1382901

Last edited by Habsfan18: 11-23-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 03:11 PM
  #923
Protest the Hero
Registered User
 
Protest the Hero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Where are people finding the Rayman Legends demo? I can't seem to find it in the eshop.
I think they mean in stores?
There was one at the EB I went to today, didn't play it though.

Protest the Hero is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 03:13 PM
  #924
Riverdale
Registered User
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Lol, played the Rayman game demo today. If this is supposed to be the future of gaming, I give up. Nintendo is a huge ? for me right now.
Care to elaborate ? I enjoyed Rayman Origins and thought the trailer for Legends looked good.

What was it that turned you off ?

Riverdale is offline  
Old
11-23-2012, 11:40 PM
  #925
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 11,368
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
So what do those of you who have got the console think? Games any fun? All I care about.
I had fun with Super Mario Bros U for about 10 minutes it pretty much plays exactly like the last 3 Super Mario.

ZombiU got pretty tiresome and repetitive after a short amount of time as well.

Most of the ports that I've played aren't great and they play worse than their counterparts.

I'm not having buyer remorse yet but the system needs a lot of firmware patches and the online store is still terrible considering every nintendo machine still exists in a vacuum.

Graveland is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.