HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Wii U: Nintendo's Next Generation Console

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-15-2011, 01:50 PM
  #176
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
 
raygunpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 2,193
vCash: 500
Wii won't support DVDs/Blu-rays

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/wii-u-...blu-rays/3381/

raygunpk is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 01:58 PM
  #177
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,792
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
I would imagine that it will have Netflix and the like.

I can't remember the last time I put a DVD/Blu-ray into my PS3 disc drive.

Calgary is almost completely empty of video rental stores. There are like 2 Blockbusters in a city of 1,000,000 people.

If removing this functionality saves them money on the end product I don't think most users will care.

Towers is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 02:00 PM
  #178
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
so what if it is? why are you bashing something because you don't like it. be open minded about it.
Scroll up and re-read everything I said. I never once bashed it not once. In fact all I did say is that it's an iPad + controller combined. It isn't my fault some people want to assume that = bashing. (Or some people also just can't admit that this is basically what it is. The DS screen on a controller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Not agreeing or disagreeing with you but it does in fact has a stylus in the controller that you pull out.
Didn't realize, that is decently cool but with a clunky controller, idk how it would be.

neofury* is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 02:04 PM
  #179
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,792
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Didn't realize, that is decently cool but with a clunky controller, idk how it would be.
The Giantbomb guys said that the controller and the stylus felt good as a whole.

And take everything those guys say as gospel.

Towers is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 02:12 PM
  #180
neofury*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal, PQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
The Giantbomb guys said that the controller and the stylus felt good as a whole.

And take everything those guys say as gospel.
I'm sure it won't be as bad as it looks in terms of the "clunkyness" but for all intents and purposes it is just the DS now in console form with a bigger screen on the controller. Touch screen no less. I don't see why people are getting their panties in a bunch over the iPad comparisons.

It isn't an insult to compare the controller to a DC controller with an ipad added on It's just calling it how I see it. The Nintendo fanboys have been extremely defensive. I own a Wii, a DS, would own a 3DS if the 3D actually worked for my eyes. I've been a loyal Nintendo customer for most of my life and I find it pretty pathetic how some people are such huge fan boys that I can't call it how I see it without people assuming I'm bashing the console. I never bashed the console just gave my two cents which were far from an insult.

Far fewer people are attacking the console than people overreacting just because people are discussing it and aren't 100% on Nintendo's dick like they are. I find that pretty weak. I never said the stuff I mentioned was a flaw but it isn't groundbreaking it's just the DS a solid handheld being done as a console. I actually like the idea but it's nothing mind blowing. To get upset because I call it as I see it is just silly. I never bashed the console, defensive fanboys are trying to make it out to be that I have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
He said size. "Size" not weight.

But please, feel free to freak out any time someone doesn't agree that Nintendo is the greatest ever.
This is what I meant when I said clunky. Not so much the weight but the way you hold it, now that I know a stylus can be used it even adds to the complexity of using it. Let me now let go of the right side of the controller in order to take the stylus, use it, put it back, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad idea or that it won't work but I'm intrigued to see how it all pans out. Sorry to those of you who expect every person to just jump on the bandwagon and assume the thing is god like. I'm not saying it won't be but we're allowed to discuss what we feel the ups and downs are without people automatically assuming stuff about us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
The 'hardcore' gamer crowd accuses Nintendo of gimicry but Nintendo has always innovated through their controllers and apart from the Gamecube have always been one step ahead of the competition. If you've been playing since the NES/SNES days then it should be normal to get a new type of controller with a next gen console, you're basically complaining that Nintendo didn't stick with it's gamecube controller through the Wii and now WiiU consoles. it's only Sony and Microsoft that decided to break this trend and not try anything new with the controllers... though to be fair they do their innovating in other ways.
I actually found the GC controller to be horrifically underrated.


Last edited by neofury*: 06-15-2011 at 02:23 PM.
neofury* is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 02:20 PM
  #181
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 500
I'm honestly pumped for New Super Mario Bros Mii, such a sick game to play drunk/high with friends haha!

JohnLennon is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 02:24 PM
  #182
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
I'm honestly pumped for New Super Mario Bros Mii, such a sick game to play drunk/high with friends haha!
I believe that was just a tech demo to show off the capabilities of the system, not an actual game in development.

That said, I am sure there will be Mario games for the new platform.

MayDay is online now  
Old
06-15-2011, 02:32 PM
  #183
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
Don't really care about this.

I already have five different devices in my home capable of playing DVDs. I don't really need another (especially since most of the movies I watch these days are streamed from Netflix anyways).

As for Blu-Ray, I don't know why people even thought this was going to be a possibility. Would require paying licensing fees to the Blu-Ray Disc Association, a prominent member of which is Sony. I think hell will freeze over before Nintendo gives a cut from each console sold to Sony. Same reason that Microsoft isn't going to support Blu-Ray with their consoles either, and is going all in on streaming media instead.

MayDay is online now  
Old
06-15-2011, 03:59 PM
  #184
Jussi
Hey everyone
 
Jussi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The lunatic fridge
Country: Finland
Posts: 55,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Don't really care about this.

I already have five different devices in my home capable of playing DVDs. I don't really need another (especially since most of the movies I watch these days are streamed from Netflix anyways).

As for Blu-Ray, I don't know why people even thought this was going to be a possibility. Would require paying licensing fees to the Blu-Ray Disc Association, a prominent member of which is Sony. I think hell will freeze over before Nintendo gives a cut from each console sold to Sony. Same reason that Microsoft isn't going to support Blu-Ray with their consoles either, and is going all in on streaming media instead.
That's yet to be confirmed. There was a "report" early last year that Microsoft were looking into what kind of connections Live user/gamers had, to see if it was viable to go with non-physical media for their next system

Jussi is online now  
Old
06-15-2011, 04:13 PM
  #185
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I believe that was just a tech demo to show off the capabilities of the system, not an actual game in development.

That said, I am sure there will be Mario games for the new platform.

JohnLennon is offline  
Old
06-15-2011, 04:58 PM
  #186
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
That's yet to be confirmed. There was a "report" early last year that Microsoft were looking into what kind of connections Live user/gamers had, to see if it was viable to go with non-physical media for their next system
Even if Microsoft sticks with physical media for games, they don't have to use Blu-Ray discs.

MayDay is online now  
Old
06-15-2011, 08:20 PM
  #187
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 16,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
IThis is what I meant when I said clunky. Not so much the weight but the way you hold it, now that I know a stylus can be used it even adds to the complexity of using it. Let me now let go of the right side of the controller in order to take the stylus, use it, put it back, etc.
I don't think that you're being fair here. The stylus is an added bonus that you don't have to use. It'll probably be mainly/only for drawing/doodling apps, where you need a much finer point than a fingertip. The added "complexity" is an issue only with those apps that call for a stylus (and which may be mostly targeted at kids), when you would want and welcome the added "complexity" because, without it, the apps would be largely useless. I'm sure that most of us will have no need for the stylus and the vast majority of games will be designed for finger input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
I wonder if part of that is simply a security issue, so that you can't use burned discs to play copied games and run other software (esp. hacker tools).

Osprey is offline  
Old
06-16-2011, 11:37 AM
  #188
bdp
Registered User
 
bdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,278
vCash: 500
I read that they were gonna use friend codes again.

bdp is offline  
Old
06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
  #189
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
I read that they were gonna use friend codes again.
Where?

I heard that they were planning to completely revamp their online system.

MayDay is online now  
Old
06-16-2011, 12:36 PM
  #190
Towers
Is it on Origin?
 
Towers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,792
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Where?

I heard that they were planning to completely revamp their online system.
Same. Pretty sure they said at E3 during the GameTrailers interview that they were going to leave friend codes behind.

Towers is offline  
Old
06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
  #191
bdp
Registered User
 
bdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
The friend code system has also been refined. It still exists but in the same way that you'd need to pair up with friends on PSN or Xbox live. Now it's much closer to that kind of online gaming experience than what it was before.
Quote:
Lowe pointed to the 3DS's refined online set-up as an indication of where Nintendo's aspirations lie for Wii U.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ser-to-psn-xbl

It'll be interesting to see if they pull it off. Friend codes would never work on PSN or XBL so we'll see how they can use friend codes and still deliver the same experience.

bdp is offline  
Old
06-16-2011, 01:57 PM
  #192
bdp
Registered User
 
bdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,278
vCash: 500
I hope the current controller design is not final, they really need to put the right analog stick below the face buttons.

bdp is offline  
Old
06-23-2011, 07:39 AM
  #193
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pleasantville, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,198
vCash: 500
Valve interested in developing for Wii U.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/22/va...r-scalability/

Quote:
"Wii U seems to be a lot more powerful than the previous generation," he told Joystiq. "It sort of fits better into the scalability in terms of graphics performance and CPU performance, so I think it'll be a lot easier for us to fit it into our scalability model." Valve has yet to release any of its games on a Nintendo console, though Gabe told us, "We've always loved Nintendo." He also pointed out that Valve has been slowly transitioning from the PC to console counterparts, starting with Xbox 360 and more recently moving to the PlayStation 3 in a major way with Steam getting ported to Sony's console.

And it looks like Nintendo may be next, as Newell restated, "Now it's a lot easier to look at Wii U and have it fit within that framework."

MayDay is online now  
Old
01-26-2012, 09:00 PM
  #194
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Developers claim that the Wii U has twice the processing and graphical prowess of the current Xbox 360.
Quote:
Nintendo says Wii U to launch before 2012 holiday season
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2315561/

Neely2005 is offline  
Old
01-27-2012, 12:27 AM
  #195
MikeyMike01
U.S.S. Wang
 
MikeyMike01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 7,580
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01 Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
It'll be interesting to see if they pull it off. Friend codes would never work on PSN or XBL so we'll see how they can use friend codes and still deliver the same experience.
It can't be done.

MikeyMike01 is offline  
Old
01-27-2012, 01:40 AM
  #196
BaileyMacTavish
I cast Magic Missile
 
BaileyMacTavish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,637
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BaileyMacTavish Send a message via MSN to BaileyMacTavish Send a message via Skype™ to BaileyMacTavish
Looks good. I dun get all the Wii U hate. Wait till the damned thing comes out? Or are we just that quick to judge?

BaileyMacTavish is offline  
Old
01-27-2012, 06:01 AM
  #197
SK13
V-Triggered
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,842
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
It can't be done.
Good thing it won't have to be.

Nintendo announced their account based network (simply called Nintendo Network for now) last night. Digital copies of every purchased game, reaching to every supported Nintendo system (which for now is only the 3DS and Nintendo Wii U). Friend codes are dead.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460457

IGN also reported a few days ago that the Xbox successor will only have about 20% performance on the Wii U, making ports a probability. That's huge for Nintendo.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/...as-current-gen

PC gamers will be pissed though, because that's not a 20x jump. Our best idea of Wii U specs right now are:

* 3-4 core Power-based CPU clocked at 3.0GHz. Speculation based on IBM's press release suggests some relation to Power7. Some known to be in development circles claim it has a good chunk of edram. The number I read was 32MB, but that's highly unconfirmed.

* Custom R770 series card. Supports Eyefinity and likely OpenGL 3.2 or greater. Nintendo does not use DirectX.

* No less than 1GB of system memory. Nintendo also chooses a strange amount, and it's usually fast stuff. Current Nintendo President Saturo Iwata once did an entire keynote on bottlenecks, Nintendo never goes cheap here.


Last edited by SK13: 01-27-2012 at 06:09 AM.
SK13 is offline  
Old
01-27-2012, 06:03 AM
  #198
SK13
V-Triggered
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,842
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
I hope the current controller design is not final, they really need to put the right analog stick below the face buttons.
Actually would ruin the ergonomics of the controller and make it painful to hold.

Every single hands-on has been incredibly positive. There are some new ones from CES if you jump around some tech sites.

SK13 is offline  
Old
01-27-2012, 08:19 AM
  #199
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Good thing it won't have to be.

Nintendo announced their account based network (simply called Nintendo Network for now) last night. Digital copies of every purchased game, reaching to every supported Nintendo system (which for now is only the 3DS and Nintendo Wii U). Friend codes are dead.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460457

IGN also reported a few days ago that the Xbox successor will only have about 20% performance on the Wii U, making ports a probability. That's huge for Nintendo.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/...as-current-gen

PC gamers will be pissed though, because that's not a 20x jump. Our best idea of Wii U specs right now are:

* 3-4 core Power-based CPU clocked at 3.0GHz. Speculation based on IBM's press release suggests some relation to Power7. Some known to be in development circles claim it has a good chunk of edram. The number I read was 32MB, but that's highly unconfirmed.

* Custom R770 series card. Supports Eyefinity and likely OpenGL 3.2 or greater. Nintendo does not use DirectX.

* No less than 1GB of system memory. Nintendo also chooses a strange amount, and it's usually fast stuff. Current Nintendo President Saturo Iwata once did an entire keynote on bottlenecks, Nintendo never goes cheap here.
So how much of a headstart is Nintendo going to have? 1 year?

Neely2005 is offline  
Old
01-27-2012, 04:36 PM
  #200
SK13
V-Triggered
 
SK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,842
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
So how much of a headstart is Nintendo going to have? 1 year?
Looks like it.

There were rumors of a 2012 launch, but even with all the disparity right now, all the rumors agree that Microsoft is now fall 2013.

SK13 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.