HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Wii U: Nintendo's Next Generation Console

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2011, 01:50 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

vCash: 500
Wii won't support DVDs/Blu-rays

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/wii-u-...blu-rays/3381/

Old
06-15-2011, 01:58 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Send a message via MSN to Towers
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygunpk View Post
I would imagine that it will have Netflix and the like.

I can't remember the last time I put a DVD/Blu-ray into my PS3 disc drive.

Calgary is almost completely empty of video rental stores. There are like 2 Blockbusters in a city of 1,000,000 people.

If removing this functionality saves them money on the end product I don't think most users will care.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:00 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
so what if it is? why are you bashing something because you don't like it. be open minded about it.
Scroll up and re-read everything I said. I never once bashed it not once. In fact all I did say is that it's an iPad + controller combined. It isn't my fault some people want to assume that = bashing. (Or some people also just can't admit that this is basically what it is. The DS screen on a controller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
Not agreeing or disagreeing with you but it does in fact has a stylus in the controller that you pull out.
Didn't realize, that is decently cool but with a clunky controller, idk how it would be.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Didn't realize, that is decently cool but with a clunky controller, idk how it would be.
The Giantbomb guys said that the controller and the stylus felt good as a whole.

And take everything those guys say as gospel.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:12 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towers View Post
The Giantbomb guys said that the controller and the stylus felt good as a whole.

And take everything those guys say as gospel.
I'm sure it won't be as bad as it looks in terms of the "clunkyness" but for all intents and purposes it is just the DS now in console form with a bigger screen on the controller. Touch screen no less. I don't see why people are getting their panties in a bunch over the iPad comparisons.

It isn't an insult to compare the controller to a DC controller with an ipad added on It's just calling it how I see it. The Nintendo fanboys have been extremely defensive. I own a Wii, a DS, would own a 3DS if the 3D actually worked for my eyes. I've been a loyal Nintendo customer for most of my life and I find it pretty pathetic how some people are such huge fan boys that I can't call it how I see it without people assuming I'm bashing the console. I never bashed the console just gave my two cents which were far from an insult.

Far fewer people are attacking the console than people overreacting just because people are discussing it and aren't 100% on Nintendo's dick like they are. I find that pretty weak. I never said the stuff I mentioned was a flaw but it isn't groundbreaking it's just the DS a solid handheld being done as a console. I actually like the idea but it's nothing mind blowing. To get upset because I call it as I see it is just silly. I never bashed the console, defensive fanboys are trying to make it out to be that I have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
He said size. "Size" not weight.

But please, feel free to freak out any time someone doesn't agree that Nintendo is the greatest ever.
This is what I meant when I said clunky. Not so much the weight but the way you hold it, now that I know a stylus can be used it even adds to the complexity of using it. Let me now let go of the right side of the controller in order to take the stylus, use it, put it back, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad idea or that it won't work but I'm intrigued to see how it all pans out. Sorry to those of you who expect every person to just jump on the bandwagon and assume the thing is god like. I'm not saying it won't be but we're allowed to discuss what we feel the ups and downs are without people automatically assuming stuff about us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
The 'hardcore' gamer crowd accuses Nintendo of gimicry but Nintendo has always innovated through their controllers and apart from the Gamecube have always been one step ahead of the competition. If you've been playing since the NES/SNES days then it should be normal to get a new type of controller with a next gen console, you're basically complaining that Nintendo didn't stick with it's gamecube controller through the Wii and now WiiU consoles. it's only Sony and Microsoft that decided to break this trend and not try anything new with the controllers... though to be fair they do their innovating in other ways.
I actually found the GC controller to be horrifically underrated.

Last edited by neofury*: 06-15-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old
06-15-2011, 02:20 PM
JohnLennon

I'm honestly pumped for New Super Mario Bros Mii, such a sick game to play drunk/high with friends haha!

Old
06-15-2011, 02:24 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconator View Post
I'm honestly pumped for New Super Mario Bros Mii, such a sick game to play drunk/high with friends haha!
I believe that was just a tech demo to show off the capabilities of the system, not an actual game in development.

That said, I am sure there will be Mario games for the new platform.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:32 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Don't really care about this.

I already have five different devices in my home capable of playing DVDs. I don't really need another (especially since most of the movies I watch these days are streamed from Netflix anyways).

As for Blu-Ray, I don't know why people even thought this was going to be a possibility. Would require paying licensing fees to the Blu-Ray Disc Association, a prominent member of which is Sony. I think hell will freeze over before Nintendo gives a cut from each console sold to Sony. Same reason that Microsoft isn't going to support Blu-Ray with their consoles either, and is going all in on streaming media instead.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Don't really care about this.

I already have five different devices in my home capable of playing DVDs. I don't really need another (especially since most of the movies I watch these days are streamed from Netflix anyways).

As for Blu-Ray, I don't know why people even thought this was going to be a possibility. Would require paying licensing fees to the Blu-Ray Disc Association, a prominent member of which is Sony. I think hell will freeze over before Nintendo gives a cut from each console sold to Sony. Same reason that Microsoft isn't going to support Blu-Ray with their consoles either, and is going all in on streaming media instead.
That's yet to be confirmed. There was a "report" early last year that Microsoft were looking into what kind of connections Live user/gamers had, to see if it was viable to go with non-physical media for their next system

Old
06-15-2011, 04:13 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
I believe that was just a tech demo to show off the capabilities of the system, not an actual game in development.

That said, I am sure there will be Mario games for the new platform.

Old
06-15-2011, 04:58 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
That's yet to be confirmed. There was a "report" early last year that Microsoft were looking into what kind of connections Live user/gamers had, to see if it was viable to go with non-physical media for their next system
Even if Microsoft sticks with physical media for games, they don't have to use Blu-Ray discs.

Old
06-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
IThis is what I meant when I said clunky. Not so much the weight but the way you hold it, now that I know a stylus can be used it even adds to the complexity of using it. Let me now let go of the right side of the controller in order to take the stylus, use it, put it back, etc.
I don't think that you're being fair here. The stylus is an added bonus that you don't have to use. It'll probably be mainly/only for drawing/doodling apps, where you need a much finer point than a fingertip. The added "complexity" is an issue only with those apps that call for a stylus (and which may be mostly targeted at kids), when you would want and welcome the added "complexity" because, without it, the apps would be largely useless. I'm sure that most of us will have no need for the stylus and the vast majority of games will be designed for finger input.

Quote:
I wonder if part of that is simply a security issue, so that you can't use burned discs to play copied games and run other software (esp. hacker tools).

Old
06-16-2011, 11:37 AM
bdp

I read that they were gonna use friend codes again.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:35 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tier View Post
I read that they were gonna use friend codes again.
Where?

I heard that they were planning to completely revamp their online system.

Old
06-16-2011, 12:36 PM
Towers
Is it on Origin?

Quote:
Where?

I heard that they were planning to completely revamp their online system.
Same. Pretty sure they said at E3 during the GameTrailers interview that they were going to leave friend codes behind.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:33 PM
bdp

Quote:
The friend code system has also been refined. It still exists but in the same way that you'd need to pair up with friends on PSN or Xbox live. Now it's much closer to that kind of online gaming experience than what it was before.
Quote:
Lowe pointed to the 3DS's refined online set-up as an indication of where Nintendo's aspirations lie for Wii U.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ser-to-psn-xbl

It'll be interesting to see if they pull it off. Friend codes would never work on PSN or XBL so we'll see how they can use friend codes and still deliver the same experience.

Old
06-16-2011, 01:57 PM
bdp

I hope the current controller design is not final, they really need to put the right analog stick below the face buttons.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:39 AM
MayDay

Valve interested in developing for Wii U.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/22/va...r-scalability/

Quote:
"Wii U seems to be a lot more powerful than the previous generation," he told Joystiq. "It sort of fits better into the scalability in terms of graphics performance and CPU performance, so I think it'll be a lot easier for us to fit it into our scalability model." Valve has yet to release any of its games on a Nintendo console, though Gabe told us, "We've always loved Nintendo." He also pointed out that Valve has been slowly transitioning from the PC to console counterparts, starting with Xbox 360 and more recently moving to the PlayStation 3 in a major way with Steam getting ported to Sony's console.

And it looks like Nintendo may be next, as Newell restated, "Now it's a lot easier to look at Wii U and have it fit within that framework."

Old
01-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Developers claim that the Wii U has twice the processing and graphical prowess of the current Xbox 360.
Quote:
Nintendo says Wii U to launch before 2012 holiday season
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2315561/

Old
01-27-2012, 12:27 AM
MikeyMike01
U.S.S. Wang

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01 Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see if they pull it off. Friend codes would never work on PSN or XBL so we'll see how they can use friend codes and still deliver the same experience.
It can't be done.

Old
01-27-2012, 01:40 AM
BaileyMacTavish
I cast Magic Missile

Send a message via AIM to BaileyMacTavish Send a message via MSN to BaileyMacTavish Send a message via Skype™ to BaileyMacTavish
Looks good. I dun get all the Wii U hate. Wait till the damned thing comes out? Or are we just that quick to judge?

Old
01-27-2012, 06:01 AM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
It can't be done.
Good thing it won't have to be.

Nintendo announced their account based network (simply called Nintendo Network for now) last night. Digital copies of every purchased game, reaching to every supported Nintendo system (which for now is only the 3DS and Nintendo Wii U). Friend codes are dead.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460457

IGN also reported a few days ago that the Xbox successor will only have about 20% performance on the Wii U, making ports a probability. That's huge for Nintendo.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/...as-current-gen

PC gamers will be pissed though, because that's not a 20x jump. Our best idea of Wii U specs right now are:

* 3-4 core Power-based CPU clocked at 3.0GHz. Speculation based on IBM's press release suggests some relation to Power7. Some known to be in development circles claim it has a good chunk of edram. The number I read was 32MB, but that's highly unconfirmed.

* Custom R770 series card. Supports Eyefinity and likely OpenGL 3.2 or greater. Nintendo does not use DirectX.

* No less than 1GB of system memory. Nintendo also chooses a strange amount, and it's usually fast stuff. Current Nintendo President Saturo Iwata once did an entire keynote on bottlenecks, Nintendo never goes cheap here.

Last edited by SK13: 01-27-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old
01-27-2012, 06:03 AM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
I hope the current controller design is not final, they really need to put the right analog stick below the face buttons.
Actually would ruin the ergonomics of the controller and make it painful to hold.

Every single hands-on has been incredibly positive. There are some new ones from CES if you jump around some tech sites.

Old
01-27-2012, 08:19 AM
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Good thing it won't have to be.

Nintendo announced their account based network (simply called Nintendo Network for now) last night. Digital copies of every purchased game, reaching to every supported Nintendo system (which for now is only the 3DS and Nintendo Wii U). Friend codes are dead.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460457

IGN also reported a few days ago that the Xbox successor will only have about 20% performance on the Wii U, making ports a probability. That's huge for Nintendo.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/01/...as-current-gen

PC gamers will be pissed though, because that's not a 20x jump. Our best idea of Wii U specs right now are:

* 3-4 core Power-based CPU clocked at 3.0GHz. Speculation based on IBM's press release suggests some relation to Power7. Some known to be in development circles claim it has a good chunk of edram. The number I read was 32MB, but that's highly unconfirmed.

* Custom R770 series card. Supports Eyefinity and likely OpenGL 3.2 or greater. Nintendo does not use DirectX.

* No less than 1GB of system memory. Nintendo also chooses a strange amount, and it's usually fast stuff. Current Nintendo President Saturo Iwata once did an entire keynote on bottlenecks, Nintendo never goes cheap here.
So how much of a headstart is Nintendo going to have? 1 year?

Old
01-27-2012, 04:36 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
So how much of a headstart is Nintendo going to have? 1 year?
Looks like it.

There were rumors of a 2012 launch, but even with all the disparity right now, all the rumors agree that Microsoft is now fall 2013.

Closed Thread