HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TNSE has no option but to call team Winnipeg Jets (The Name Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2011, 06:42 PM
jazznik
Thrashers forever

vCash: 500
TNSE has no option but to call team Winnipeg Jets (The Name Thread)

Otherwise the NHL's whole media and PR strategy is ruined:

guardian.jpeg

bios_full_thrasher.jpg

Just stick a Jets logo on there and you're good to go.

Old
06-07-2011, 06:54 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
there are several problems depending on who you talk to due to phoenix and the problems they have had---while it is rumoured the NHL owns the rights--if they call them the jets former creditors could come knocking. If I can find it I will post it--but some creditors previously received less then full pay back on debts and some are reportedly waiting to see what the team does. The last peg owners left the team with a pile of confusing paper work that took the nhl awhile to figure out. At one point in time it was suggested the previous owners added some debt to the team that belonged to their non-hockey enterprises. So calling them the jets is not cut and dry

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
Old
06-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

They have an option. It's just not a very good option.

Old
06-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
there are several problems depending on who you talk to due to phoenix and the problems they have had---while it is rumoured the NHL owns the rights--if they call them the jets former creditors could come knocking. If I can find it I will post it--but some creditors previously received less then full pay back on debts and some are reportedly waiting to see what the team does. The last peg owners left the team with a pile of confusing paper work that took the nhl awhile to figure out. At one point in time it was suggested the previous owners added some debt to the team that belonged to their non-hockey enterprises. So calling them the jets is not cut and dry

This is the first I've heard of this.

I'd be really interested in that link if you find it.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Pros and Cons

Winnipeg Rouge!
Winnipeg Rebellion! or Rebels

Old
06-07-2011, 07:12 PM
SilverRiver89

Falcon could work too with that design.

Old
06-07-2011, 07:14 PM
Andy6
Court Jetster

It's extremely unlikely that any debts would be recoverable after 15 years and, even if they were, they would be the responsibility either of the Phoenix Coyotes or of the former owners of the Jets (depending on which obligations were picked up by the new owners under the agreement of purchase and sale in 1995/6 and which were not). There is no chance whatsoever that giving your team a nickname that once belonged to another organization would result in your assuming the debts of that other organization.

Last edited by Andy6: 06-07-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old
06-07-2011, 09:44 PM
BrianL*

Quote:
if they call them the jets former creditors could come knocking.
Interesting concept. I think I will legally change my name to Donald Trump, and wait for the millions to start flowing into my bank account.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:46 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
I dont think they are going to call them the Jets
if they wanted to do that, they would have the day of the announcement

Old
06-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Chief Ten Bears*
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post

On the contrary... I believe True North had a name, logo, and jersey all ready to go. They are way to organized not to. I think the 10's of thousands of people that have been to various rallys at portage and main, the forks, and the buzz in the papers and on the internet, all about the jets, has caused them to reconsider. They went back to the drawing board, and thats why they still don't have a logo or jersey ready, maybe not even in time for the draft.

Old
06-07-2011, 10:20 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Or could it be that they now have to change their marketing scheme. Another poster from Winnipeg in a thread in the Atlanta site commented on the length of time required to rework all the merchandise etc. to a new brand. Perhaps the delay is a result of TSNE having to redo all the marketing that was already established.

I have no inside info on this, just an opinion...

Old
06-07-2011, 10:24 PM
JoeDiamond

Quote:
I disagree. I believe they originally intended to keep the moose name as back up by

http://www.nesn.com/2011/03/report-i...-not-jets.html

and

http://www.****************/blog/2011...ot-jets-in-12/

however i theorize the explosion in support for the jets name has them second guessing which road to go and thats the current hold up.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:11 PM
pondnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
On the contrary... I believe True North had a name, logo, and jersey all ready to go. They are way to organized not to. I think the 10's of thousands of people that have been to various rallys at portage and main, the forks, and the buzz in the papers and on the internet, all about the jets, has caused them to reconsider. They went back to the drawing board, and thats why they still don't have a logo or jersey ready, maybe not even in time for the draft.
Yes this

Old
06-07-2011, 11:15 PM
thed00d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Or could it be that they now have to change their marketing scheme. Another poster from Winnipeg in a thread in the Atlanta site commented on the length of time required to rework all the merchandise etc. to a new brand. Perhaps the delay is a result of TSNE having to redo all the marketing that was already established.

I have no inside info on this, just an opinion...
Interesting point.... But I don't think that the rallies have forced TNSE to reconsider. Why not come out right away with the new name?

Jets is the only thing we people from Winnipeg know, so it is a no brainer that they would call the NHL returning here the Jets.

Personally, I think it's a new team, new beginning....call them something new.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:21 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thed00d View Post
Interesting point.... But I don't think that the rallies have forced TNSE to reconsider. Why not come out right away with the new name?

Jets is the only thing we people from Winnipeg know, so it is a no brainer that they would call the NHL returning here the Jets.

Personally, I think it's a new team, new beginning....call them something new.
I don't disagree with your thoughts. I only was pointing out that if TSNE had originally wanted a different name other than the Jets, it will take time to get their merchandise in order. I would be shocked that after methodically going about their business that they would do a 180 on the name without having sweaters available for purchase by the fans.

Again, just an opinion.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:32 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

I don't think it really will be that big a deal to rename the team.

I mean, if it was the Phoenix Coyotes coming back, but this is a different franchise.

I say go with the Falcons. It actually HAS history and relevance to the city of Winnipeg.

The "Jets" was the name because the original owner's name was Ben and the Elton John song Benny and the Jets was popular at the time...

At least that's the folklore round here...

The Falcons were an amateur team that competed for and won the international title before the Winter Olympics.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Potrzebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
The "Jets" was the name because the original owner's name was Ben and the Elton John song Benny and the Jets was popular at the time...

At least that's the folklore round here...

Ben Hatskin named the junior team the Jets after his favorite NFL team, the New York Jets. When the WHA was formed he carried the name over to the new team.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:48 PM
not a trapdoor
I swallowed my keys

Send a message via MSN to not a trapdoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by thed00d View Post
Well noone's forcing them, but I do think it's quite likely the sheer outpouring of love for the Jets name has taken them somewhat by surprise. If they're listening to that community sentiment, this is a good sign - it means the franchise is in much better hands than it was in Georgia.

I suspect dobiezeke is on the money that the delay is caused by TNSE waiting for a hastily organised graphic design job. They've probably sat down and said, "Well, gee, better call them the Jets, eh? better have a Draft hat & a logo ready for that #7 pick". Exact sweater designs (and of course a 3rd) can come a little later, as can the merchandise, but I suspect they're furiously working on the logo & something for the new prospects to wear for the cameras on draft day.

They're not going to announce Manitoba Jets or Winnipeg Jets (with possible updated logo) without the logo. I suspect it'll be Manitoba, as the rumours have always been that this is the preferred name & it gives a fresh start to an old identity.

Old
06-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
I say go with the Falcons. It actually HAS history and relevance to the city of Winnipeg.
The Falcons donít really have much relevance to the city of Winnipeg. How many of you can honestly say that you knew that the team that won the 1920 Olympic Ice Hockey Gold Medal was called the Falcons before a few months ago when rumours began to circulate that True North might name a team after it? How many of you can tell what happened in 1921 to the Winnipeg Falcons? Now be honest . . .

Old
06-08-2011, 12:02 AM
UkrainianGuy*

GO JETS GO!!

Old
06-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Chief Ten Bears*
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UkrainianGuy View Post
GO JETS GO!!

I've screamed that more in the last few weeks than in the last 15 years. And it will never, ever, get old.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:20 AM
rymr66

not that they need it, but with bog approval needed for the relocation and change of ownership, it would be another way of showing how the club can be sustainable in the long term. having a recognizable brand name that still sells considerable merchandise under the name 'winnipeg jets' can show that they have a product name that has legs.

Old
06-08-2011, 02:50 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Quote:
if they call them the jets former creditors could come knocking.
.... that literally makes zero sense whatsoever. The ownership group of the former Jets would be the ones that owe creditors money (or the organization that purchased the team and moved them to Phoenix), not someone else that comes along and creates a brand-new team.

Even if the old Jets owed a great deal of money, there'd be no way to stick the debt on the new Jets as they're two completely different organizations.

Old
06-08-2011, 04:36 AM
YearsintheWilderness

Thanks for restarting this thread.

Bizarre that the other thread was closed. A discussion forum about hockey and a topic about one of the most relevant issues currently facing the new team, generating interesting and respectful debate...

and the thread was closed.

Anyway, I will reiterate what I said in the other thread. It would be plain stupid to go with any other name except the Jets.

As mentioned before, why choose a name like "Falcons" that has more than one possible pronunciation? Would be weirdly ironic that the only other team that perhaps more than one possible pronunciation is The Coyotes.

"Jets" is such a clean, classic-sounding name. It's got history. Sure, the Jets never got out of the second round of the playoffs, but that doesn't matter.

It's a no brainer for the new owners. If they choose a name other than the Jets, they will get off to a bad start with regard to fan relations.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:30 AM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

From an outsider looking in, I'm really hoping the "Jets" doesn't happen. I think it's time for a new start, new logo, new jerseys, new everything. I also think the Jets would be the worst name in the NHL. I'm sure others feel the Flyers is a stupid name, but it's just my opinion.

Closed Thread