HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TNSE has no option but to call team Winnipeg Jets (The Name Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 05:51 AM
Sunshine36616

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
The Falcons don’t really have much relevance to the city of Winnipeg. How many of you can honestly say that you knew that the team that won the 1920 Olympic Ice Hockey Gold Medal was called the Falcons before a few months ago when rumours began to circulate that True North might name a team after it? How many of you can tell what happened in 1921 to the Winnipeg Falcons? Now be honest . . .
I did

Old
06-08-2011, 05:52 AM
meedle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
On the contrary... I believe True North had a name, logo, and jersey all ready to go. They are way to organized not to. I think the 10's of thousands of people that have been to various rallys at portage and main, the forks, and the buzz in the papers and on the internet, all about the jets, has caused them to reconsider. They went back to the drawing board, and thats why they still don't have a logo or jersey ready, maybe not even in time for the draft.
I agree with this. They are way too organized. They were ready for the ticket drive in march. They had a short list for GMs, with chevy at the top. I'm sure they have a short list of coaches and whatnot as well. It's really hard for me to believe they didn't have jerseys and a name picked out. I'm sure they are working out the logo now and colors for the new jets.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:40 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Quote:
-- Why the long wait on the team name thing?
True North types said last week that they were going to take some time with this. 'Jets' hasn't been ruled out -- the NHL owns the rights and has said the Winnipeg owners can have it back -- but the organization also wants to keep the Moose name in its family, perhaps with their AHL affiliate in St. John's, NL. Expect that announcement soon, although the logo and jersey design might take longer.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...123442179.html

Old
06-08-2011, 07:30 AM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by thed00d View Post
Interesting point.... But I don't think that the rallies have forced TNSE to reconsider. Why not come out right away with the new name?

Jets is the only thing we people from Winnipeg know, so it is a no brainer that they would call the NHL returning here the Jets.

Personally, I think it's a new team, new beginning....call them something new.
I think the fact that they decided not to come out with the team name at the PC is a sign that they wont be called the Jets.

Remember, they still had to sell 13,000 deposits, the last thing they want is negative reaction to the team not being called the Jets.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
http://www.****************/blog/2011...ipeg-whiteout/

That pretty much settles it, not Jets, not Falcons. Whiteout, something completly new to build on. I'm interested to see what they come up for a logo with this concept.

Maybe jumping the gun here, Jets are already registered so they just could move the rights after an announcment. Wait n' see I guess.

Last edited by Foxlockbox: 06-08-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old
06-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the Whiteout could grow on me.. and, it'd be pretty awesome and unique in my opinion to see the fans do a classic Winnipeg whiteout. What the hell would the logo be, though?

Any chance this guy could be the mascot?

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
06-08-2011, 07:43 AM
headsigh
leave at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Based Goalie View Post

That pretty much settles it, not Jets, not Falcons. Whiteout, something completly new to build on. I'm interested to see what they come up for a logo with this concept.

Maybe jumping the gun here, Jets are already registered so they just could move the rights after an announcment. Wait n' see I guess.
It could easily just be the marketing campaign. We trademarked Blueland, but that's not the team name.

Old
06-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Tartan Army*

Where are the polls asking Winnipeg fans if they prefer the Jets or a new name?

Winnipeg Wolves
Winnipeg Polar Bears
Winnipeg Ice Bears
Winnipeg Jets

Old
06-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
Quote:

TNSE denied that the team will be called the Whiteout. It'll just be a marketing thing.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:16 AM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
The Falcons don’t really have much relevance to the city of Winnipeg. How many of you can honestly say that you knew that the team that won the 1920 Olympic Ice Hockey Gold Medal was called the Falcons before a few months ago when rumours began to circulate that True North might name a team after it? How many of you can tell what happened in 1921 to the Winnipeg Falcons? Now be honest . . .
I first learned about the Falcons in 1998. I was watching Canada play the Czechs at the Olympics and my dad told me about it.

I would think that most Winnipegers new about the history of the Falcons in 2002 when the Olympic team honored the Falcons by wearing the retro jersey.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:19 AM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
there are several problems depending on who you talk to due to phoenix and the problems they have had---while it is rumoured the NHL owns the rights--if they call them the jets former creditors could come knocking. If I can find it I will post it--but some creditors previously received less then full pay back on debts and some are reportedly waiting to see what the team does. The last peg owners left the team with a pile of confusing paper work that took the nhl awhile to figure out. At one point in time it was suggested the previous owners added some debt to the team that belonged to their non-hockey enterprises. So calling them the jets is not cut and dry
the debts would have carried over to the Coyotes, not the new Winnipeg team since it was that franchise to which said debts belong to. The new Winnipeg team carries over legal obligations from the Thrashers, so to name the team "Jets" & adopt the history means nothing from a legal standpoint. TNSE made a deal with Atlanta, not Phoenix. The current Ottawa Senators are not responsible for any debt the original Ottawa Senators incurred even though they took the name & hung up Stanley Cup banners. There is no legal connection. Same goes here...

Old
06-08-2011, 09:25 AM
not a trapdoor
I swallowed my keys

Send a message via MSN to not a trapdoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I think the Whiteout could grow on me.. What the hell would the logo be, though?

Old
06-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by not a trapdoor View Post
Sold.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:47 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post
I would think that most Winnipegers new about the history of the Falcons in 2002 when the Olympic team honored the Falcons by wearing the retro jersey.
Not to nit pick or sound that way by any means, but I believe it was the 2004 Canadian Mens World Championship team that wore the jersey, and prior to that the only ones to wear it were the 2005 World Junior team, which they wore it only for an exhibition game in December of 2004 in Winnipeg.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:51 AM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Not to nit pick or sound that way by any means, but I believe it was the 2004 Canadian Mens World Championship team that wore the jersey, and prior to that the only ones to wear it were the 2005 World Junior team, which they wore it only for an exhibition game in December of 2004 in Winnipeg.
Actually, we are both wrong. It was to the World Cup.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Ville82

They have no other good option than Winnipeg Jets.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoNeils View Post
Actually, we are both wrong. It was to the World Cup.

That's what I meant, World Cup.

Old
06-08-2011, 03:24 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
I'm still amazed that so many people actually believed that they'd become the Whiteout because of a trademark filing. When I first heard it, my immediately reaction was that it'd probably just be some slogan for their future playoff appearances. The fact that people actually believed that they'd adopt it as their name was just shocking.

Then again, folks like Creamer also believed in that obviously bogus Ottawa Senators logo that got posted up, so irrationality and gullibility go hand in hand.

Old
06-08-2011, 04:40 PM
LT

Mark Chipman was interviewed today and when they asked him about if they would have a name before the draft he said yes foresure there will be something very soon. When asked if he will have a jersey and hat ready for the draft he said the NHL has told him that will be a challenge.

To me that tells me they weren't prepared with a team name 100% yet. He has said that they have yet to pick a name but I would think they've been discussuing this and now that the GM has been named, I would think that's their next thing to finalize.

Old
06-08-2011, 04:44 PM
ProdigalJet

Quote:

Jumping the gun .. there was some changes to in the canadian trademark registry to the "winnipeg jets" trademark in the past week.

Also, Whiteout was denounced already.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

What many people seem to be forgetting is that the Jets name has been with the city for 44 years, ever since the Winnipeg Jets entered the Western Canada Hockey League (known today as the Western Hockey League) back in 1967. Although they haven’t operated in Winnipeg for the past 15 years, their merchandise has continued to sell, and there has been a number of dedicated bring back the Jets campaigns.

The name Jets means as much to Winnipeg as the Flyers mean to Philadelphia, Penguins to Pittsburgh, Blues to St. Louis, or Kings to Los Angeles. I’d argue it means even more, given that you could argue that hockey was either the number two (or lower) sport in the city. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers may have fielded a team since 1879 (yes, 1879, that’s not a typo), but in Winnipeg, hockey is the number one sport.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:25 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalJet View Post
Jumping the gun .. there was some changes to in the canadian trademark registry to the "winnipeg jets" trademark in the past week.

Also, Whiteout was denounced already.
Here is what I found searching through the trademark page for the old Winnipeg Jets logo Link:

Here is what a Security Agreement is:

http://www.uncitral.org/pdf/english/...cint/Agthe.pdf
]

Here is some more more on the trademark page:

Some info on this location: Pitblado

Last edited by Winnipeg Jets: 06-08-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old
06-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

Why would anyone want another name? Winnipeg Jets sounds perfect to me.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

I can't be the only one who remembers this article:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/life/colu.../17596211.html

Granted, that article doesn't make it so, but, it seems they do have an option as to not naming the team the Jets.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
I can't be the only one who remembers this article:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/life/colu.../17596211.html

Granted, that article doesn't make it so, but, it seems they do have an option as to not naming the team the Jets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wheeler
I have it under good authority, that a name, jersey scheme, and logo have already been designed and are ready to go for when the team makes our city its home.
There's the quote I love. Quite clearly the guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. If this was so they would have announced it with the team, or for those paranoid few at very least when the ticket sale was done so the name would not hurt sales. Chipman is saying that they won't have jerseys ready to go by the draft, so clearly this was not done in MARCH when Wheeler claims. This is a DJ trying to make himself important nothing more. Dismiss this article.

Closed Thread