HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TNSE has no option but to call team Winnipeg Jets (The Name Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 12:46 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

vCash: 500
I can't wait for interviews with the TNSE guys. I hope they are very open about the naming process. I want to know all the options they had, what they wanted when they bought the team, when they decided on Jets. Everything. It's a very interesting process to me.

Old
Confound
-Vindicated-

Welcome back Jets.

Old
ThirtyFive

Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
For someone who claims to value sports history, it may have been wise to understand that the name "ROCKIES" had such nostalgic value in Colorado, that their expansion MLB franchise decided to use it LONG BEFORE the Nordiques made the decision to move to Denver. And by using it, it didn't devalue the history of the New Jersey Devils. Or does that mean the Devils should move their hockey stats over to the baseball team?

No one is personally attacking you. If you want to fiercely defend an opinion, prepare to have it called stupid by others.
Fortunately, I don't follow baseball.

In the case of the Senators, I'm fine with the expansion team carrying that name (though I don't particularly approve of the old Stanley Cup banners the current team never won). The original Senators ceased to exist a long time ago, and themselves relocated, so the expansion team is more of an homage to that storied team. The Jets situation is different. For one, Doan is still playing for them. For another, Phoenix has Bobby Hull's #9 and Numminen's #27 retired. Atlanta/Winnipeg does not, but they have #37 retired.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:52 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyFive View Post
Fortunately, I don't follow baseball.

In the case of the Senators, I'm fine with the expansion team carrying that name (though I don't particularly approve of the old Stanley Cup banners the current team never won). The original Senators ceased to exist a long time ago, and themselves relocated, so the expansion team is more of an homage to that storied team. The Jets situation is different. For one, Doan is still playing for them.
First, I want to apologize for calling your point of view ridiculous before because I do understand it, I just don't agree with it.

Second, the Doan thing is a good point and I do understand that the situations are different between this franchise and the two Senator franchises but I don't see it as a big deal. I think it's easy enough to differentiate between the two franchises (Winnipeg-Phoenix and Atlanta-Winnipeg). Since the city of Winnipeg wants the Jets and the history of the NHL in Winnipeg is with the Jets name, why not go back to it? It doesn't mean that it's the same franchise it was before and it doesn't have to be. Calling this team the Jets doesn't erase the the Phoenix Coyotes' history as the Winnipeg Jets at all.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Boooo. From an outsider, the Jets is boring. I wanted a new team, new jerseys, new name, new everything.
You have your own problems right now

P.S. I don't care what other people think to be honest (and, overwhelmingly they want Jets by the way). This goes a long way towards repairing a very painful wound for this city. Kudos to TNSE for getting us a team, and listening to fans about what name they wanted.

Old
06-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

The retired jerseys shouldn't carry over, the Jets are the Jets again but it's history this time is in Atlanta

Old
06-24-2011, 01:02 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessarmy View Post
The retired jerseys shouldn't carry over, the Jets are the Jets again but it's history this time is in Atlanta
I don't think that will be the case. I think they will do what they did in Cleveland in the NFL (more or less).

They will transfer the history of the Phoenix franchise circa Winnipeg back to us, and will release the history of the current Winnipeg franchise to Atlanta.

Seriously, people are getting to caught up with the actual franchise being indelibly tied to a cities history.

Hawerchuk, Steen, Selanne, Hull... that history belongs to Winnipeg, not Phoenix. Just as Buchberger, Ferraro etc belongs to Atlanta, not us.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:05 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Thanks for making the point all the pro "Jets" moniker supporters are making. History IS important. And the history of hockey in Winnipeg BELONGS TO WINNIPEG. No paperwork transfer that saw numbers written on paper get shipped to Phoenix is going to change the indelible memories of those stats actually getting performed in a WINNIPEG JETS jersey.

Get over it Captain Sanctimonious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyFive View Post
Maybe we can tone down the personal attacks? I'm very happy you got your team back. I'm only saying that, IN MY VIEW, the Winnipeg Jets = Phoenix Coyotes. Your view of history may vary. That's okay. I'm just bummed the team will assume that identity now, instead of having its own.

When the Nordiques moved, they didn't become the Rockies again. Same deal.
No. But Ottawa kept their team name didnt they?

Old
06-24-2011, 01:05 PM
aparch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I don't think that will be the case. I think they will do what they did in Cleveland in the NFL (more or less).

They will transfer the history of the Phoenix franchise circa Winnipeg back to us, and will release the history of the current Winnipeg franchise to Atlanta.

Seriously, people are getting to caught up with the actual franchise being indelibly tied to a cities history.

Hawerchuk, Steen, Selanne, Hull... that history belongs to Winnipeg, not Phoenix. Just as Buchberger, Ferraro etc belongs to Atlanta, not us.
PHX already said they're hanging on to the history. The NHL only owned the logo/trademark (so they could profit off it).

Can't wait to see a Kane #9 jersey on opening night!

Old
06-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Tdoe42

What History happens In Winnipeg! Stays in Winnipeg!!

Old
06-24-2011, 01:19 PM
ThirtyFive

Send a message via MSN to ThirtyFive
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafyDuck View Post
No. But Ottawa kept their team name didnt they?
I wrote my feelings about Ottawa just above.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:20 PM
rymr66

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post

well said brother! bring back the jets!! all is right in the universe once again. i'm so happy right now words can't describe it. can't wait for the official confirmation!! cheers everyone! GO JETS GO!!

Old
06-24-2011, 01:21 PM
WPGNYRFan

vCash: 1700
This is such awesome news! I don't care if some of you don't like the Jets name, most of us love it here in Winnipeg and you're probably going to hear us once they announce it officially!

Old
06-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparch View Post
PHX already said they're hanging on to the history. The NHL only owned the logo/trademark (so they could profit off it).

Can't wait to see a Kane #9 jersey on opening night!
Phoenix says what?

They have no claim to the franchise history whatsoever. If they did, by extension Winnipeg would already own their own NHL history.

The NHL is the owner of the Coyotes and therefore owns all franchise history. They will (no doubt) happily hand over all history if requested.

Old
06-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Will close this since Dreger let the cat out of the bag.

Closed Thread