HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

TNSE has no option but to call team Winnipeg Jets (The Name Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 11:23 PM
meedle

vCash: 50
or... it could have been done in March and they changed their minds because of the outpouring support for the Jets name and had to go back and rethink it all.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:28 PM
FDBluth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I think the Whiteout could grow on me..
Why not just call them the Winnipeg Whites? Whiteout sounds tacky.

Old
06-08-2011, 11:30 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
There's the quote I love. Quite clearly the guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. If this was so they would have announced it with the team, or for those paranoid few at very least when the ticket sale was done so the name would not hurt sales. Chipman is saying that they won't have jerseys ready to go by the draft, so clearly this was not done in MARCH when Wheeler claims. This is a DJ trying to make himself important nothing more. Dismiss this article.
Or True North has made a change of plans.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:36 AM
mattihp

I still like the sound of Winnipeg True North

Old
06-09-2011, 04:39 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDBluth View Post
Why not just call them the Winnipeg Whites? Whiteout sounds tacky.
I suppose Byfuglien would love that name..

Old
06-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Winnipeg Grenadiers sounds quite nice and would honour the history.

06-09-2011, 07:32 AM
ProdigalJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
I can't be the only one who remembers this article:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/life/colu.../17596211.html

Granted, that article doesn't make it so, but, it seems they do have an option as to not naming the team the Jets.
I wouldn't read much into it.

Dave Wheeler is a 2nd rate hack radio DJ who's bitter that he's out of a job @ MTSC when the NHL season starts. He uses his airtime to abuse and slander people he doesn't like on air, including ex-girlfriends and people he envies/jealous of.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:04 AM
DinoNeils

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalJet View Post

Dave Wheeler is a 2nd rate hack radio DJ who's bitter that he's out of a job @ MTSC when the NHL season starts. He uses his airtime to abuse and slander people he doesn't like on air, including ex-girlfriends and people he envies/jealous of.
Wow I never new that there was so much hate out there for Wheeler. He has played a couple games with my hockey team and always seemed to be a nice guy; terrible in his own zone and skates like s***, but a nice guy non the less.

FYI - Not trying to defend the guy, just throwing out my two cents.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
From an outsider looking in, I'm really hoping the "Jets" doesn't happen. I think it's time for a new start, new logo, new jerseys, new everything. I also think the Jets would be the worst name in the NHL. I'm sure others feel the Flyers is a stupid name, but it's just my opinion.
I think the Ducks, Capitals and Wild are way worse, but that's only my opinion.

IMO, Jets is fine, it shows that they honor tradition. I've said it before I think the Manitoba Shield or Bears (with polar bear logo) would be decent routes. Not sure if the Falcons are that good of an idea especially if they revamp the old jerseys, it would make it look more like a national team than anything else.

1st pick: Jets all the way, the rest all comes after if you ask me.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:33 AM
aj8000

vCash: 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
there are several problems depending on who you talk to due to phoenix and the problems they have had---while it is rumoured the NHL owns the rights--if they call them the jets former creditors could come knocking. If I can find it I will post it--but some creditors previously received less then full pay back on debts and some are reportedly waiting to see what the team does. The last peg owners left the team with a pile of confusing paper work that took the nhl awhile to figure out. At one point in time it was suggested the previous owners added some debt to the team that belonged to their non-hockey enterprises. So calling them the jets is not cut and dry
I would suspect the statue of limitations has kicked in now after 15 years

Old
06-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
On the contrary... I believe True North had a name, logo, and jersey all ready to go. They are way to organized not to. I think the 10's of thousands of people that have been to various rallys at portage and main, the forks, and the buzz in the papers and on the internet, all about the jets, has caused them to reconsider. They went back to the drawing board, and thats why they still don't have a logo or jersey ready, maybe not even in time for the draft.
Double this!!^^

Old
06-09-2011, 02:39 PM
FDBluth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelmoor View Post
Winnipeg Grenadiers sounds quite nice and would honour the history.
Voyageurs would be another great one to along those lines as well. Some people down south would have no idea how to pronounce it though!

Old
06-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

C’mon everybody get into this game!
Cheer for the Jets tonight they’ll always be our team!
Well this team is hot, this game is cool!
And when you come out wear white and shout this is our play off rule!

The time is now, the team is right!
Our finest hour the final fight!
This game is cool, so let’s rock this place tonight!

JETS FIGHT!
TONIGHT!
WEAR WHITE!
ALL RIGHT!

Old
06-09-2011, 03:27 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Last edited by Durkin67: 06-09-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: double post sorry guys
Old
06-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

In tribute to both the jets and to winnipegs contribution to canadian aviation I like the winnipeg airmen

Old
06-09-2011, 05:45 PM
silver surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
From an outsider looking in, I'm really hoping the "Jets" doesn't happen. I think it's time for a new start, new logo, new jerseys, new everything. I also think the Jets would be the worst name in the NHL. I'm sure others feel the Flyers is a stupid name, but it's just my opinion.
I couldn't disagree more. While I'm a lifelong Flyers fan, even when I used to live in Winnipeg during the Jets days, there is only one option.

"Please rise and welcome, your Winnipeg Jets!!!"

Old
06-09-2011, 05:52 PM
PensFan6687

Daly, Ladd, and Chipman have hinted that the idea of using the Jets name is silly, given that it's tied to the Coyotes history and that the team sucked. New beginnings with a new team! Lets let the Jets name R.I.P.

Watch the videos of Daly and Ladd and their thoughts on possibly calling the Jets. Personally they are in favour of another team name, and I agree, I used to support the Jets and remember how bad they were, and this is a new era, new arena, different ownership, and organization. The Coyotes own the Jets history. We now own the Thrashers history. Ladd said lets start fresh since we're a new team, and he even stated the old team wasn't that good... unless you care what the Jets did in some now defunct league.

Seriously, this is not the Coyotes people. I say we should get a new team name and logo, and image. Lets not live in the past, but in the now and towards the future!

Old
06-09-2011, 06:25 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 120
^ The Coyotes won't be in Phoenix much longer. If Quebec City ends up getting the team they sure as hell won't be honoring the Jets' history. They'll call them the Nordiques and honor theirs instead... no doubt about it.

If TNSE comes up with a great original name, logo, and jersey then I'll be open to the change. It better blow me away though if they're going to effectively kill the Winnipeg Jets once and for all.
As of right now the only option I'm 100% against is calling them the Manitoba Moose.

Last edited by AWSAA: 06-09-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old
06-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Aries56

I'm okay with losing the Jets name.... but there better be a pretty amazing name to replace it. All the rumored names just don't cut it.
Manitoba Ice. Manitoba Polar Bears. Manitoba Moose. All awful for an NHL team. In fact, I sure hope it's named after Winnipeg... It just sounds better.

So from what I've seen so far... I'm for keeping the Jets name.

Old
06-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Hammer Slammer
Global Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
C’mon everybody get into this game!
Cheer for the Jets tonight they’ll always be our team!
Well this team is hot, this game is cool!
And when you come out wear white and shout this is our play off rule!

The time is now, the team is right!
Our finest hour the final fight!
This game is cool, so let’s rock this place tonight!

JETS FIGHT!
TONIGHT!
WEAR WHITE!
ALL RIGHT!
You had me singing it so I had to find the actual song to sing along to.

Old
06-09-2011, 06:42 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
Or True North has made a change of plans.
This is because it was a some HUGE secret that people in Winnipeg were attached to the Jets name? Petitions were out, Go Jets Go chants were everywhere, merchandise was sold left right and center BEFORE the announcement of a team. Chipman knew what would happen as he is not a moron. And no all these save the Jets name campaigns are not changing his mind do not kid yourself. He is a smart businessman who will make the choice that makes the most sense, not what a sentimental vocal group want. If he decides to use Jets do not delude yourselves into thinking that that was the reason, he will have made that decision since it was the best business decision. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalJet View Post

Very true. Personnally cannot listen to Power 97 due to this idiot, I stick to my Sirius Satellite Radio.

Old
06-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
Here is a little more on what Daly said today at the MTS Centre regarding TNSE not owning their history if they chose the Jets name:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/06/0...s-team-history
Quote:
“One of his concerns about the Jets’ name and identity is that he really doesn’t own his history,” Daly explained. “The Phoenix Coyotes, if you look in their year book ... their franchise records are all players who played for the Jets. And they’ll continue to have that. They maintained those rights when they relocated from market to market.

Old
06-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

Chipman is setting that up as his scapegoat for changing the name. "Well, we wanted Jets but the history is staying in Phoenix so we thought that would be awkward... blame the NHL, not us. Go Moose go!"

The NHL is happy to be the fall guy here because they know merchandise sales (centralized revenue that goes to all teams) hang in the balance and they'd rather have disgruntled fans saying "**** Bettman" than "**** TNSE".

Old
06-09-2011, 07:54 PM
cbcwpg

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything View Post
^ The Coyotes won't be in Phoenix much longer. If Quebec City ends up getting the team they sure as hell won't be honoring the Jets' history. They'll call them the Nordiques and honor theirs instead... no doubt about it.

If TNSE comes up with a great original name, logo, and jersey then I'll be open to the change. It better blow me away though if they're going to effectively kill the Winnipeg Jets once and for all.
As of right now the only option I'm 100% against is calling them the Manitoba Moose.
Wrong. Just like Winnipeg, they may want to honour the past they once had, but the Nordiques past belongs to Colorado.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Karl Peladeau and Quebecor, which are analogous to Mark Chipman and True North, have gone on record stating that they seek to gain a NHL team for Quebec City, which they would call the Nordiques. The history may belong to the Avalanche, but they don’t make a habit of honouring it.

The four numbers retired during the Nordiques era were put back into circulation immediately after the move, and Joe Sakic, who played from 1988 to 2009 with the Quebec/Colorado franchise had his number retired with the dates 1995 and 2009 in the corners. They ignored his seven years with the Nordiques before the move.

We live in a strange world when it would be preferable for the Coyotes to have been callous about things like the Avalanche and Hurricanes were.

Closed Thread