HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TNSE has no option but to call team Winnipeg Jets (The Name Thread)

Closed Thread

Old
06-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Potrzebie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vosie View Post
Karl Peladeau and Quebecor, which are analogous to Mark Chipman and True North, have gone on record stating that they seek to gain a NHL team for Quebec City, which they would call the Nordiques.
Do you have a link for when this was actually said? I've followed Winnipeg's and Quebec's quests for an NHL franchise quite closely over the last few years - I've seen many fans longing for "the return of the Nordiques" but I don't think I've ever seen Peladeau or Quebecor say anything but their goal is to bring an NHL team to Quebec.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...-nhl-team.html

http://www.financialpost.com/related...621/story.html

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...373/story.html

http://www2.canada.com/topics/sports...tml?id=4812775

Old
06-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Davare*
Registered Useless

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YearsintheWilderness View Post
Thanks for restarting this thread.

"Jets" is such a clean, classic-sounding name. It's got history. Sure, the Jets never got out of the second round of the playoffs, but that doesn't matter.

It's a no brainer for the new owners. If they choose a name other than the Jets, they will get off to a bad start with regard to fan relations.

GO OILERS GO!!!!

Oh wait...

Old
06-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZ123 View Post
Do you have a link for when this was actually said? I've followed Winnipeg's and Quebec's quests for an NHL franchise quite closely over the last few years - I've seen many fans longing for "the return of the Nordiques" but I don't think I've ever seen Peladeau or Quebecor say anything but their goal is to bring an NHL team to Quebec.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...-nhl-team.html

http://www.financialpost.com/related...621/story.html

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...373/story.html

http://www2.canada.com/topics/sports...tml?id=4812775
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']I believe I saw him say it in an interview on TV, though I canít remember whether it was CBC Sports, Sportsnet, TSN, The Score, sigh . . . I watch too many sport channels.[/FONT]

Old
06-09-2011, 11:48 PM
dobiezeke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davare View Post
GO OILERS GO!!!!

Oh wait...

Classic case of living in the past...sad really.

Old
06-10-2011, 01:45 AM
Davare*
Registered Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobiezeke View Post
Classic case of living in the past...sad really.
This from a fan base that is screaming for their team to be named the Jets.

...and go feed your dog.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:52 AM
Huffer

I am one of those guys who really wants the Jets name. Of all the names that have been thrown out there I have not heard one that I think is even decent. And that includes the Falcons, Moose, Blizzard, Ice, Chill, etc.

That is until someone posted the following on the naming thread on the Business forum:

Winnipeg Legion. (or Manitoba Legion).

Don't get me wrong, I really want the name to be Jets. But if TNSE is really stuck on not naming the team the Jets, I think I could learn to like the name Legion.

I like the military nod to it. I think the potential logos and jersey's could be cool. And I think the marketing could be interesting. "Be a part of the Legion!", "Come join the Legion!"

Old
06-10-2011, 08:54 AM
Klaus
Teemu!

Legion sounds terrible.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Crystal Pepsi

A really good article from the Free Press in regards to the Jets name.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...123611699.html

Old
06-10-2011, 09:42 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetHabs View Post
Legion sounds terrible.
If the team is not the Jets, what do you suggest?

Legion sounds better than any other name out there right now.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:10 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
well it wont be the Jets thats for sure, if it was i don't see why they wouldn't of announced it before the season ticket drive, i mean that would only create even more excitement around the team. The fact they didn't release the name before the season ticket drive makes me think we are getting a new team name. Which would be something i would be excited for i wanna buy a nice new jersey!!

Old
06-10-2011, 10:17 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
friesensunmedia Paul Friesen
The Manitoba Moose name is not going to Nfld with the team, so that mean it's the NHL Manitoba Moose?
I would think he is simply thinking out loud and speculating here. I think if it was going to be the Manitoba Moose, we would know by now. I also think if it was going to be the Winnipeg Jets, we would know by now. But, I still believe it's possible TNSE was planning on going with the Manitoba Moose, or something new, but has been caught in the uproar for the Jets, therefore possibly reconsidering.

I had though TNSE wanted to keep the Moose brand going, or keep it in the family as it was mentioned, I thought. However, if it's not going with the team to Newfoundland, is it staying in Manitoba? So many scenarios in play here. I really do believe however that the initial plan was to go with the Manitoba Moose, in some sort of fashion.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:18 AM
WaveRaven

vCash: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Pepsi View Post
A really good article from the Free Press in regards to the Jets name.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/bre...123611699.html

This is why is has to be Jets.

"No matter what the team is called, on opening night there will be hundreds and perhaps thousands of people showing up in Jets jerseys yelling 'Go, Jets, go!' That's going to be newsworthy and not in a positive way," he said.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:29 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
This is why is has to be Jets.

"No matter what the team is called, on opening night there will be hundreds and perhaps thousands of people showing up in Jets jerseys yelling 'Go, Jets, go!' That's going to be newsworthy and not in a positive way," he said.

just my opinion here but something like 8,000 of these season tickets went to Manitoba Moose season ticket holders, so i really don't see it being a big issue with the GO JETS GO chants, and to be honest with you even if that does happen it will eventually die off

Old
06-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Noeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
just my opinion here but something like 8,000 of these season tickets went to Manitoba Moose season ticket holders, so i really don't see it being a big issue with the GO JETS GO chants, and to be honest with you even if that does happen it will eventually die off
And people will get over the Jets thing. Honestly, anyone who's connected more to the name than the actual on-ice product isn't really a fan anyhow, and isn't someone that I'm worried about pissing off. The real hockey fans, the fans of watching NHL hockey, will be there and support the product on the ice.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noeller View Post
And people will get over the Jets thing. Honestly, anyone who's connected more to the name than the actual on-ice product isn't really a fan anyhow, and isn't someone that I'm worried about pissing off. The real hockey fans, the fans of watching NHL hockey, will be there and support the product on the ice.
Agree. I want the Jets, but my personal opinion is the fans would not, or.. should not, cheer "Go Jets Go" nor would.. or... should, the arena be flooded with Jets jerseys. I really don't believe that would be the case, I would hope it is not the case.

What I do believe and hope would be the case is the general public, fans, season ticket holders, etc, would flood out quickly to purchase the new jersey of the team and when the season begins, I fully believe and hope the fans in the seats will be wearing those new jerseys and chanting the new name.

Personally, I would feel a bit foolish if I were in the arena for the first game in a Jets jersey cheering "Go Jets Go" when that is not what you're there to support. To me, that would make for a bit of an awkward and funny time (not so much in a good way). I also believe it would be a bit of a slap in the face to TNSE, which is the very group who brought a team BACK to Canada. Be happy and support it.

That may not be a popular opinion among some Jets fans, but it's my personal opinion.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:46 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Agree. I want the Jets, but my personal opinion is the fans would not, or.. should not, cheer "Go Jets Go" nor would.. or... should, the arena be flooded with Jets jerseys. I really don't believe that would be the case, I would hope it is not the case.

What I do believe and hope would be the case is the general public, fans, season ticket holders, etc, would flood out quickly to purchase the new jersey of the team and when the season begins, I fully believe and hope the fans in the seats will be wearing those new jerseys and chanting the new name.

Personally, I would feel a bit foolish if I were in the arena for the first game in a Jets jersey cheering "Go Jets Go" when that is not what you're there to support. To me, that would make for a bit of an awkward and funny time (not so much in a good way). I also believe it would be a bit of a slap in the face to TNSE, which is the very group who brought a team BACK to Canada. Be happy and support it.

That may not be a popular opinion among some Jets fans, but it's my personal opinion.

most of the people ive talked to are all for the Jets name but will support whatever name they call it, its easy to get caught up in the GO JETS GO chants because we don't have a name for this team yet people wont chant GO WINNIPEG MANITOBA NHL CLUB GO lol that just sounds stupid! when we get a name i think this will die down

Old
06-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
most of the people ive talked to are all for the Jets name but will support whatever name they call it, its easy to get caught up in the GO JETS GO chants because we don't have a name for this team yet people wont chant GO WINNIPEG MANITOBA NHL CLUB GO lol that just sounds stupid! when we get a name i think this will die down
Oh definitely, I was just commenting on those who think fans will chant 'Go Jets Go' at the first game or what not, which at that time there will be a team name, logo and jersey design well in place. I see no reason for the arena to be flooded in Jets jerseys and 'Go Jets Go' chants taking place when and if the team is not named the Jets. That would be foolish, in my opinion.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
Not sure if it's been posted but this jersey design is pretty impressive:
http://winnipegwhiteout.com/culture/...ign=shortlinks

Old
06-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Contributor

I like the concept, but i'm not to sold on having the part of the main logo (Jet over the Province) on the main logo and the shoulders... looks like too much to me. I'm a big fan of how Calgary does it though with the Canadian flag on one shoulder and the Provincial flag on the other shoulder. I think on this concept that would look really cool.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:11 AM
borno87

Ultimately, this is a business. TNSE has a ton of market research, and clearly the conclusion to draw from all that data is the market wants "Jets"

It's fairly obvious that Chipman et al do not want that name, and are conflicted at this point. To me there are two possibilities regarding why we have not heard a name yet:

a) They are going with a new name. They are waiting until the day of the BoG approval to announce that new name, so they can let the outcry for the Jets name settle down and peter out, and also soften the blow of the team not being named the Jets by announcing it simultaneously with the BoG approval.

b) They were planning on a new name but are reconsidering. In this case there may be some disagreement internally, and they are taking the next two weeks to prepare both a new name, and an update to the Jets logo and jersey design.

This reminds me of the American auto-industry in the late 90s. The market place had spoken. People were demanding smaller, more efficient cars (evidenced by purchasing Japanese made). However the Detroit automakers continued to invest in large gas guzzling SUV's, trying to ram those vehicles down consumers throats with massive marketing companies, and eventually DEEP discounts (employee pricing promotions which DESTROYED their margins).

I don't think TNSE is doomed if they change the name. People will eventually adapt. However their execution to date has been absolutely flawless. Their is considerable momentum, and an incredible bond is being forged between this private corporation and the community. Why do anything to slow down the train now?

They have the blind support of the entire city at this point. They just hired an unproven, career NHL GM with 2 years of AGM experience at the NHL level to build a franchise. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Chevy hiring however it is rare to see almost unanimous support of that type of move in a city like Winnipeg. How the community has rallied around this company is remarkable, and unprecedented. We will see if they reward that support, or burn some of that hard earned goodwill to facilitate a fresh start.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Moe Mantha

wow, those are the best jersey designs for the Jets theme yet!

Old
06-10-2011, 11:23 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
wow, those are the best jersey designs for the Jets theme yet!

they kinda look plain i mean, its a huge white circle with a Red provincial logo, i dunno just not too crazy about them and to be honest with you cant really blame anyone for designing the jersey because you cant really get too creative with a Jet as the logo

Old
06-10-2011, 11:27 AM
ranold26
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Not sure if it's been posted but this jersey design is pretty impressive:
http://winnipegwhiteout.com/culture/...ign=shortlinks

Wininipeg? LMFAO

Old
06-10-2011, 11:34 AM