HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Rangers Buying out Drury and WoWo

Old
06-09-2011, 11:20 PM
DanishAvsfan

vCash: 250
Rangers Buying out Drury and WoWo

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368345

The question is will the Avs continue their nostalgic ways and bring back Drury?

I think WoWo is out of the question seeing how he left due to consistency issues.

DanishAvsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:28 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Add them to Keane, Kamensky, Lefevre, DeVries, Kasparitus, Fleury and the Sakic offer sheet.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:47 PM
Zih
Dater's Gonna Hate

vCash: 50
I'd bring Drury back for little money (around $1M), because he can still win faceoffs and he'd bring a lot of veteran stability to the locker room. I can see O'Reilly in particular benefiting a lot from a year or two with Drury as a mentor.

Zih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:51 PM
PeterTheGreat

Id take him back at 1 million or less to play on the fourth line. He can still PK and win draws. Plus we badly need some more vets. Cant just rely on a very quiet Hejduk and someone like Liles or McClement. We could use another vet.

As for Wolski, not a chance in hell.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:02 AM
BrickAHL
#Shermy is ELEPHANT

vCash: 432
If Drury came back either him or McClement would have to play wing.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Please no.......NO!

Let's not put ourselves in the situation again of having a Foote/Darcy Tucker type who really can't play and you can't demote them out of respect to the player. There were times that Adam Foote had no business being on the ice last year but it's not like you can send him to LEM. I don't want to see the Avs tie their hands with another has-been (no offense to Drury I was a fan just as much as everyone else...). By signing Drury you're essentially guaranteeing the guy a spot on a line every single night. I don't think that's a good bet.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Hells no to both!

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:36 AM
jaems

I'm confused by Drury. He was good in the Olympics but otherwise has been forgettable for the last few years.

As other wrote, I wouldn't mind bringing him back. The team does need some veterans.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
No thanks.

Drury for 1M might be okay if they move McClement. But as of right now neither guy is needed.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:05 AM
Bordeleau Of Blood
Archangel

I'm pretty "meh" about Drury. If they brought him back on a cheap deal, fine. Nothing to get excited about. Wolski, on the other hand, no. Just no. I've had my fill of getting frustrated watching him float around for weeks at a time.

Bordeleau Of Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 02:01 AM
Drury_Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
I'm confused by Drury. He was good in the Olympics but otherwise has been forgettable for the last few years.

As other wrote, I wouldn't mind bringing him back. The team does need some veterans.

Its all about his injuries over that time and the role he was asked/needed to play with the Rangers versus the role he played in the Olympics.

Try playing him as a regular top 2 line player and it is a foolish move. Put him on the 3rd/4th line as a shut down/two way player.... and you are going to get a solid game night in and night out with some big game potential.

As for overloading on centers, I don't get the concern over it. For one, both McClemment and Drury have played a good amount of wing in their last few years and I think that either or both could do so without problem next year and Drury may even be better off there if he has lost a bit of foot speed. I also think there is a chance that O'Reilly may find his way onto the wing at some point. I actually liked his play at RW when he did some work there at the end of last season. There is also the possibility of Duchene playing wing at some point depending on how O'Reilly progresses and how the Avs draft. Point being that every center on this team COULD move to wing, and a few of them might be better off there. Hell, look at the 2001 team, Drury, Sakic, Yelle, Tanguay, Forsberg, Hinote, Rino, and Ried all played center at some time in their career.

As for Drury's game falling off, I don't think he is at the point of not being able to contribute like Tucker or Foote. The only reason he would be unable to perform the role of a 4th liner at worst would be if his injuries simply broke him. If that was the case, I don't think Drury is the type of guy that would keep playing beyond his worth.... and really, given that the Avs are a huge unkown next year, taking a chance on a guy like him and having it not pan out is not a season breaker. Another huge difference is that most only would want him on a one year deal. The Avs biggest mistakes with guys like Breasy, Turgeon, and Tucker has been that they gave them contracts with length. All three of those guys had actual value to the Avs in season one of their deals. Same goes for Foote.

Last edited by Drury_Sakic: 06-10-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Drury_Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:01 AM
Pirate Deadpool
Sacco must go

I rather have Drury over Jay McRib if you can get him at the same price.

Pirate Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Freedom Elz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishAvsfan View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=368345

The question is will the Avs continue their nostalgic ways and bring back Drury?

I think WoWo is out of the question seeing how he left due to consistency issues.
Not sure that he would add anything that the avs really need. They could add leadership through a veteran
Dman and it would make far more sense.

Freedom Elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:08 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

No thanks to both.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:45 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1057
No room for Drury unless the Avs also overpay him. The team will need to spend some money this offseason. No reason to search the bargain bin.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Freedom Elz

I'd rather have Tanguay back, he's younger and fills a hole if/when Mueller gets concussed again.

Freedom Elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Drij

Definitely should bring Tanguay back. Drury maybe. Polskie could come back we can't sign Flash. We all know Avs need help on left wing.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
No thanks.

Drury for 1M might be okay if they move McClement. But as of right now neither guy is needed.
Why are neither needed? You need guys like this in the bottom 6 to win.. we got a small taste of McClement last year and I feel now that he is more comfortable we will begin to see why so many Blues fans want him back. You need vet guys on a young team who can win faceoffs and kill penalties. Who would you rather have down there, rookies to make this team even more inexperienced? I get that we're rebuilding and people don't want to block younger players out, but it never hurt a prospect to spend a year or 2 in the AHL and the only ways our young guys can become better is from learning from these veterans.

Drury would be great, the ONLY thing that worries me is injuries, but even if they do happen then it will just give a young guy like Malone a shot and we will still be benefiting from Drury's leadership. He'd be a perfect mentor for RoR.

Wolski, good riddance.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:57 AM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
I think we should re-sign Drury and just not make him captain or assistant captain. I think he had too much on his plate in New York and it affected his game. There's no question in my mind that he can still produce.

AvsFan20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:30 AM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HishonHishoff View Post
Please no.......NO!

Let's not put ourselves in the situation again of having a Foote/Darcy Tucker type who really can't play and you can't demote them out of respect to the player. There were times that Adam Foote had no business being on the ice last year but it's not like you can send him to LEM. I don't want to see the Avs tie their hands with another has-been (no offense to Drury I was a fan just as much as everyone else...). By signing Drury you're essentially guaranteeing the guy a spot on a line every single night. I don't think that's a good bet.
Great point.

the_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
Drury but no to Wolski

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:45 AM
Adama0905

Honestly, I just really don't want anything to do with any previous Avs. I'm tired of the nostalgia.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Kschey
Avs/BorussiaDortmund

I know .. on a rational base I should not even think about Wolski.
But since I'm Polish and so on I'd really like to give him another shot.
Although there is not a lot of hope he would stop being the Wolski everybody knows.

Don't know exactly about Drury. Haven't seen a lot by him.

Kschey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:28 PM
StuckOutHere

wolski scored 65 points the year we traded him... if he is cheap i would take a shot at him since we have so little wing depth... even if he dosen't want to play every night his off nights are still better than kevin porter and that is the kind of winger dutchy had to play with last year

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:39 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
Some interest in Drury for the bottom six. However the Avs already have O'Reilly, Winnik, Galiardi, McClement, and McLeod. And the possibility of Yip of a prospect challenging for ice time.

No to Wolski. He is the exact opposite of everything the Avs are currently trying to build towards.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote