HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do we do?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2011, 09:06 PM
  #51
punchnpie
Registered User
 
punchnpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Westminster, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
It's funny that ten years ago, people thought the same about Chara -- just a big, talentless goon and a waste of a roster space.

and yes, I am implying that Koci will one day win a Norris. No doubt in my mind
They did?

punchnpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:28 PM
  #52
NWAvsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
It's funny that ten years ago, people thought the same about Chara -- just a big, talentless goon and a waste of a roster space.

and yes, I am implying that Koci will one day win a Norris. No doubt in my mind


Did you expect something down here too?

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:38 PM
  #53
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Omaha, Nebraska
Country: United States
Posts: 2,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
Hell no for Mccabe the guy sucks ass. EJ, Liles are both better than him. Jovo I wouldn't mind but I'd rather get a guy better Markov or Erhoff.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I think McCabe gets left out of the conversation, undeservedly so. Markov is the best dman you mentioned, and I'd like to get him, but he does have problems staying healthy. Which for us translates to catastrophe. Ehrhoff is no better than Jovo or McCabe. He's no scrub, but he makes a lot of bad decisons with the puck, and he's not the kind of defenseman who earns his check without the puck. Again, I think we'd be quickly frustrated (for completely different reasons) if we signed Markov or Ehrhoff.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:36 PM
  #54
GIJeff76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 67
vCash: 500
Avs need a big body that can play PK and clears the zone and the front of the net.

OB could be that guy, the problem is he looks like deer in headlight when he has the puck on the tape. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy, he's a team player (cf the Florida/Huet-gate), but he's a bit slow with the puck, or makes a blunder when acting too quick (cf: goal in his own empty net).

That's why I mentioned Hamrlik. The guy is underestimated.

Oh, btw forget Markov, he's 99% sure staying in Mtl.



Sorry if I talk too much of Habs players, I happen to live in Mtl so I saw them play too many times.

GIJeff76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:51 AM
  #55
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,318
vCash: 50
I'd really like to sign Jan Hejda.

6'3", 230 pound defenseman, 32 years old so a good age to contribute and mentor our younger core. He had 152 hits this past season. To give a comparison, Erik Johnson had 99 hits in the same amount of games (77).

He made 2m in this last year of his contract, so not sure what he'd command on the open market, but I'd like to take a look at him. Could be a really good pick-up.


Last edited by TwoPadStack: 06-12-2011 at 01:53 AM.
TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 08:48 PM
  #56
SlyAvs
smokin Joe
 
SlyAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
I'd really like to sign Jan Hejda.

6'3", 230 pound defenseman, 32 years old so a good age to contribute and mentor our younger core. He had 152 hits this past season. To give a comparison, Erik Johnson had 99 hits in the same amount of games (77).

He made 2m in this last year of his contract, so not sure what he'd command on the open market, but I'd like to take a look at him. Could be a really good pick-up.
I agree ,Hejda and O'byrne big and solid defensively

SlyAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 08:59 PM
  #57
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
I agree ,Hejda and O'byrne big and solid defensively
As a bottom pairing I'd love that. As a top 4, I'd be scared ****less every time either one of them touched the puck.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 09:29 PM
  #58
Avsboy
Registered User
 
Avsboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,235
vCash: 500
Give Quincey a shot up there. Draft Larsson and pair him with the 'veteran' Liles. Finish off with an Elliot-O'Byrne extravaganza.

Two rookies on D, but two damn good ones.

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 09:32 PM
  #59
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated
 
Pual Statsny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Awesometown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
EJ-Quincey
Liles-OB
Wilson/Gaunce-Elliot/Larsson

The Avs aren't ones to address a whole lot of big needs via FA post Giguere--we've always been traders. We've always been a trading organization so I think that we're gonna "do an inventory" on our assets before trying to plug a whole that might not need to be plugged. We obviously traded for Quincey as a #2D so management's gonna treat him like one until he proves otherwise.

Personally, I think Quincey's got it in him as long as we don't lean on him. If he can play a 2D game he thrives but if he has to pick up the slack then he doesn't do so well.

And so it begins...

Pual Statsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 09:36 PM
  #60
Avsboy
Registered User
 
Avsboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,235
vCash: 500
I think the Avs need to stop clinging to bad defensive players. Cumiskey was held on to with bad results. Clark for awhile back in the day. Avs shouldn't keep Wilson, Cumiskey or Hunwick in the regular rotation. Wilson isn't bad but he's a bit too meh and his hands are pretty poor.

Avsboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 09:54 PM
  #61
Pual Statsny
Overpaid, overrated
 
Pual Statsny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Awesometown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
I think the Avs need to stop clinging to bad defensive players. Cumiskey was held on to with bad results. Clark for awhile back in the day. Avs shouldn't keep Wilson, Cumiskey or Hunwick in the regular rotation. Wilson isn't bad but he's a bit too meh and his hands are pretty poor.
Clark was underrated as far as a D--he's done really well in TB but that's because they rely on him as a PMD instead of a do-it-all top 3.

I agree that we hold onto speed a little too frequently. Cumiskey was seen as the second coming of Hawerchuk and Hunwick was supposed to have our shot.

I think Wilson's actually a pretty solid 6D.

Pual Statsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:30 PM
  #62
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgeduck View Post
Clark was underrated as far as a D--he's done really well in TB but that's because they rely on him as a PMD instead of a do-it-all top 3.

I agree that we hold onto speed a little too frequently. Cumiskey was seen as the second coming of Hawerchuk and Hunwick was supposed to have our shot.

I think Wilson's actually a pretty solid 6D.
Clark is one of those defensemen that can look really good if they let him stay in his role as a bottom-pairing, potentially mid pairing guy. He looked fantastic playing with Skrastins when he played on the second pairing. However, if you start feeding him minutes he makes turnovers an art.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:59 PM
  #63
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
WarriorOfGandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 13,581
vCash: 142
assuming we don't draft Larsson and assuming that Barrie/Elliot start in the AHL

Quincey-EJ
Liles-OB
Gaunce-Wilson

Cumiskey first LD replacement, HolÝs first RD replacement, Hunwick signs a contract with a field hockey team

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:51 PM
  #64
chewey
dmitri
 
chewey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Near You!
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,837
vCash: 136
I'd rather have Hunwick than Cumiskey.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:00 AM
  #65
falconski
Unregistered User
 
falconski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,068
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
assuming we don't draft Larsson and assuming that Barrie/Elliot start in the AHL

Quincey-EJ
Liles-OB
Gaunce-Wilson

Cumiskey first LD replacement, HolÝs first RD replacement, Hunwick signs a contract with a field hockey team
why would you wish that on a field hockey team?

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 03:39 AM
  #66
Holyhell
'Crumblers'
 
Holyhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,352
vCash: 642
I like Brewer, and if we drafted Larsson the defense could be very solid:

Johnson - Brewer
Liles - Quincey
O'Byrne - Larsson
Wilson

I would even roll 7 D if that was the case.


Galiardi - Stastny - Hejduk
Flash/Mule - Duchene - Jones
Winnik - O'Reilly - Yip (Unfortunately)
McLeod - McClement

X - Porter/Koci

PP:

Flash/Mule - Stastny - Hejduk
Duchene - Liles

Galiardi - O'Reilly - Jones
Johnson - Larsson/Quincey

SH:

Galiardi - O'Reilly
Johnson - O'Byrne

Winnik - Stastny/Duchene
Brewer - Wilson/Quincey

IF, and only if, that could stay healthy, it could/would be a good season.

Holyhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 06:04 PM
  #67
NHL33*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
I think the Avs need to stop clinging to bad defensive players. Cumiskey was held on to with bad results. Clark for awhile back in the day. Avs shouldn't keep Wilson, Cumiskey or Hunwick in the regular rotation. Wilson isn't bad but he's a bit too meh and his hands are pretty poor.
Cumiskey and Hunwick are mediocre. I could see either succeeding in the right role but the Avalanche are not the team that can provide such!

Wilson is very decent, and he'd be better if he focused on improving his skating.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 06:17 PM
  #68
PeterTheGreat
Registered User
 
PeterTheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 7,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Cumiskey and Hunwick are mediocre. I could see either succeeding in the right role but the Avalanche are not the team that can provide such!

Wilson is very decent, and he'd be better if he focused on improving his skating.
Agreed. I hope we cut ties with both Cumiskey and Hunwick, but if we are forced to keep one i prefer Cumiskey. Younger, faster and at least has the potential to get better. Hunwick is what he is.

I hope Wilson spent/is spending this summer to work hard on his skating with a skating coach. He could be a really strong bottom pairing guy if he can improve his foot speed and agility.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 06:50 PM
  #69
Freaky Styley
Registered User
 
Freaky Styley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,849
vCash: 500
Wilson has earned his time here and is a solid #6 or 7. Definitely keep him over Cumiskey or Hunwick. The guy knows how to throw a game-changing hit, don't underestimate that ability. Makes forwards think twice before entering the zone

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 06:50 PM
  #70
Adama0905
Registered User
 
Adama0905's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 9,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyhell View Post
I like Brewer, and if we drafted Larsson the defense could be very solid:

Johnson - Brewer
Liles - Quincey
O'Byrne - Larsson
Wilson

I would even roll 7 D if that was the case.


Galiardi - Stastny - Hejduk
Flash/Mule - Duchene - Jones
Winnik - O'Reilly - Yip (Unfortunately)
McLeod - McClement

X - Porter/Koci

PP:

Flash/Mule - Stastny - Hejduk
Duchene - Liles

Galiardi - O'Reilly - Jones
Johnson - Larsson/Quincey

SH:

Galiardi - O'Reilly
Johnson - O'Byrne

Winnik - Stastny/Duchene
Brewer - Wilson/Quincey

IF, and only if, that could stay healthy, it could/would be a good season.
I actually like that D. It doesn't make me cringe, unlike pretty much everything we've iced since the lockout.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:58 PM
  #71
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,486
vCash: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
I actually like that D. It doesn't make me cringe, unlike pretty much everything we've iced since the lockout.
Yah, it's not bad if you want to spend $8m+ more of defense this off-season.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.