HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nedved not signed yet?

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Oilers Ent

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Nedved not signed yet?

Hello,

This is kind of surprising. What do you all think the reasons could be? Is he being courted by many teams and a bidding war is developing? Or could it be that his after wedding plans are interfearing with any possible signing?

This could bode well. I mean - no one else has signed him and the snippets we get in the press seem to suggest that Lowe is going to try his darndest to get Nedved to sign on the line that is dotted.

This is a little reminiscent of last year wondering if Smyth was going to be here or not.

Old
07-19-2004, 01:02 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I think most of it just has to do with his wedding. Plus I think he just finished off his honeymoon so I think a deal should be made sometime this week.

Old
07-19-2004, 01:08 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
Hello,

This is kind of surprising. What do you all think the reasons could be? Is he being courted by many teams and a bidding war is developing? Or could it be that his after wedding plans are interfearing with any possible signing?

This could bode well. I mean - no one else has signed him and the snippets we get in the press seem to suggest that Lowe is going to try his darndest to get Nedved to sign on the line that is dotted.

This is a little reminiscent of last year wondering if Smyth was going to be here or not.
Right now, his agent is controlling negotiations. Ultimately it will be up to Petr.
If only about 2-3 teams have shown serious interesting in Nedved, his agent would not be doing his job to maximize his clients chances at a bigger payday if he tried to hammer out a deal between only 2-3 bidders. I have a feeling his agent is waiting for more teams to jump into the mix, which could be indicative of that fact that there aren't that many dance partners out there.

Old
07-19-2004, 01:27 PM
Bohologo

The ancillary to this line of questioning is "What's Plan B?" We need to be emotionally prepared to see Nedved sign elsewhere-my bet is LA.

Some folks have mentioned: Nylander, but he is soft like butter; Jason Allison, but he is broken; Lindros, but he has Bonnie & Carl; Stumpel, but he too is soft like butter-room temperature butter; Zhamnov, he's too...expensive? Red haired? I think plan B will turn out to be a Weimer or Cullen type-a larger body to throw down the middle. Hands up if that excites you.

So, plan C it may have to be: trade some extra bodies/prospects for someone who's being sold low: Arkhipov? Kolanos?

Old
07-19-2004, 01:27 PM
jlockhart89

the signing should come pretty soon his honymoon is just wrapping up.

Old
07-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlockhart89
the signing should come pretty soon his honymoon is just wrapping up.

I sure hope you are right jlockhart89.

As for Cullen?

The only way I could see Lowe signing him is as a depth move. He's a big body but there are a lot of question marks about his performance. If a cheap contract can be done it might be worth trying him out for a year or two - especially if Reasoner is not fully recovered.

Old
07-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Big T

Is Nedved Really The Answer????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
The ancillary to this line of questioning is "What's Plan B?" We need to be emotionally prepared to see Nedved sign elsewhere-my bet is LA.

Some folks have mentioned: Nylander, but he is soft like butter; Jason Allison, but he is broken; Lindros, but he has Bonnie & Carl; Stumpel, but he too is soft like butter-room temperature butter; Zhamnov, he's too...expensive? Red haired? I think plan B will turn out to be a Weimer or Cullen type-a larger body to throw down the middle. Hands up if that excites you.

So, plan C it may have to be: trade some extra bodies/prospects for someone who's being sold low: Arkhipov? Kolanos?

Is Nedved really the answer????? I mean the Oilers were pretty hot before Nedved arrived. I wonder if we're all seeing the arrival of Nedved as the answer to all of our prayers, when it may have had more of a placebo effect?????

Igor, if you're out there..... let's see some stats.

We do need another centre, but if Nedved signs somewhere else, is it really the end of the world. I am already picturing the Lowe-bashing if Nedved ends up a King. Thoughts???

T

Old
07-19-2004, 01:35 PM
jlockhart89

Unfortunatly if Nedved dosnt resign, though im about 95% sure he is from my friends talk with Marcel Roberge, we want a 1st or 2nd line center i just dont see Cullen or Weimer as that

Old
07-19-2004, 01:37 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo

Is there a plan "D"? Nothing in Plans "A" to "C" is particularly riveting.
I understand the need for an alternative but I, for one, am counting on Nedved to sign here.
I realize my opinion on this matter is baseless, but I can't get by my gut feeling that Nedved will sign with the Oilers.

Old
07-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Strapping Jocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez
Is there a plan "D"? Nothing in Plans "A" to "C" is particularly riveting.
I understand the need for an alternative but I, for one, am counting on Nedved to sign here.
I realize my opinion on this matter is baseless, but I can't get by my gut feeling that Nedved will sign with the Oilers.
Plan "A" is to sign Nedved. So you don't want the Oilers to sign Nedved?!?!

If he signs elsewhere, I won't blame Lowe. Nedved will either be signing elsewhere due to A. more money then the Oilers can offer (and I'd actually be more upset to see him signed for more than $3.5M/year) or B. the situation of another team (LOCATION, teammates, playoff chances).

Nedved could be a very important piece of the puzzle next season, but he will also be inconsistent or unproductive at times. He will not be the only answer.

Having said that, I think it would be best for the Oilers to get him as he adds some real punch to the first line.

Old
07-19-2004, 01:46 PM
H-Bear

My guess is as good as anyone else, so I'll throw it out there. My guess is because many GMs are waiting until their arbitration sessions are over so they will know how much they have to spend on UFAs.

Just a thought.

Old
07-19-2004, 01:47 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

I say Lowe and Nonis talk...Get Nedved to sign a 3 year 9 million there and make his stupid wife happy, then trade for him something small and then Nedved is an Oiler . Sure he will probally be pissed off, but who really cares .

Old
07-19-2004, 02:01 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strapping Jocks
Plan "A" is to sign Nedved. So you don't want the Oilers to sign Nedved?!?!

Whoops...brain cramp. Your right. I actually meant to say Plans B" and "C".

Quote:
Nedved could be a very important piece of the puzzle next season, but he will also be inconsistent or unproductive at times. He will not be the only answer.

Having said that, I think it would be best for the Oilers to get him as he adds some real punch to the first line.
I agree with you that Nedved hasn't exactly been the model of consistancy, but I just can't see any of the players in Plans "B" or "C" as better options.

Old
07-19-2004, 02:21 PM
Bob Mooseknuckle

Hi everyone. This is my first post, but I've been reading the discussions on the Oilers for the past year or so. I've been an Oil fan since 1986 (yes a rough year to start).

I'd love to see Nedved back next year, but what if he isn't? I mean, we can all play GM and look for other players to take over (and we do need a #1 centre). Suppose Lowe can't get anyone. What does MacT do? What would you do if you were the coach of the Oilers and had the same players in game #1 as we do today? (Assume Reasoner is good to go if you want to).

Old
07-19-2004, 02:25 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Stanley
Hi everyone. This is my first post, but I've been reading the discussions on the Oilers for the past year or so. I've been an Oil fan since 1986 (yes a rough year to start).

I'd love to see Nedved back next year, but what if he isn't? I mean, we can all play GM and look for other players to take over (and we do need a #1 centre). Suppose Lowe can't get anyone. What does MacT do? What would you do if you were the coach of the Oilers and had the same players in game #1 as we do today? (Assume Reasoner is good to go if you want to).
Welcome to the boards!

Old
07-19-2004, 02:29 PM
Cerebral

Quote:

I personally think we'd have a pretty big offensive hole down the middle. I'd probably end up playing York as the first line centerman and let Horcoff/Reasoner fight it out in training camp for the second line spot. It wouldn't be terrible if Reasoner came back healthy and ready to improve on his last season but we could be in a lot of trouble if Marty is still ailing. I'd definitely expect Lowe to try and nab another player on the UFA market or via a trade if Nedved signs elsewhere..

Old
07-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Strapping Jocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez
I agree with you that Nedved hasn't exactly been the model of consistancy, but I just can't see any of the players in Plans "B" or "C" as better options.

Agreed.

Old
07-19-2004, 02:35 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
nedved has a great shot, and he is capable of notching 20 goals into our lineup. That is something that he can do much more easier (imo) than any of the other players listed betwen plans B to Z. Lowe has to get Nedved to sign here he is the best player available to us, hopefully Nedved wants to sign here himself.

Old
07-19-2004, 02:46 PM
gpearson1968

What the compensation, if any, if we lose Nedved ?

Cheers,
Geoff.

Old
07-19-2004, 03:04 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpearson1968
What the compensation, if any, if we lose Nedved ?

Cheers,
Geoff.
I believe it's zilch.

Old
07-19-2004, 03:13 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T

Igor, if you're out there..... let's see some stats.

T
I think Igor has been pretty adament that Nedved doesn't really add much to a team because his lack of defensive abilites counter his point totals. If true, I won't be too disappointed if we don't sign Nedved. Plubicity wise, however, it would be a very good move and the Oilers need that.

Old
07-19-2004, 05:01 PM
HockeySense85

Quote:

I have been thinking about this myself, and I keep wondering if the Oilers should give Isbister a shot at Center. From what I have seen, Isbister is a pretty good skater, and I think he would be more valuable if he kept his feet moving. I would suggest that a pivot is constantly moving, whereas a winger will stop and start more often. If Isbister gets the puck on the fly more often, I think he becomes a bigger threat. I would play him with Hemsky and Symth, and let York return to his spot between Dvorak and Torres. Keep in mind that York's line was a success until it was broken up along with York's wrist.

Isbister at center would add the big man up the middle that we have been looking for since the departure of Arnott. This would also be an opportunity for Isbister to play on the top two lines. Any thoughts on this? Also, have you folks given any thought to whether a winger is more prone to injury than a center?

Old
07-19-2004, 05:23 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
I think Igor has been pretty adament that Nedved doesn't really add much to a team because his lack of defensive abilites counter his point totals. If true, I won't be too disappointed if we don't sign Nedved. Plubicity wise, however, it would be a very good move and the Oilers need that.
I would disagree with igor on that, he can throw all the stats he wants but you can't deny the skill, shot and offensive prescence that Nedved brings to the line. Sometimes offence is the best form of defence to use an old cliche

Old
07-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Wolfpack

First line centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySense85
I have been thinking about this myself, and I keep wondering if the Oilers should give Isbister a shot at Center. From what I have seen, Isbister is a pretty good skater, and I think he would be more valuable if he kept his feet moving. I would suggest that a pivot is constantly moving, whereas a winger will stop and start more often. If Isbister gets the puck on the fly more often, I think he becomes a bigger threat. I would play him with Hemsky and Symth, and let York return to his spot between Dvorak and Torres. Keep in mind that York's line was a success until it was broken up along with York's wrist.

Isbister at center would add the big man up the middle that we have been looking for since the departure of Arnott. This would also be an opportunity for Isbister to play on the top two lines. Any thoughts on this? Also, have you folks given any thought to whether a winger is more prone to injury than a center?

Isbister at centre - I'm going to have to disagree with that. I mean, did we not learn what happens when a winger is forced to play centre after the whole Ryan Smyth fiasco last season? Yes, Smyth became better in the face-off circle but his point production went in the tank. It's not easy to play centre after you've been playing on the wing your whole career. I'd like to see them try and get Isbister more ice time, but not as a centreman.

IMO, the longer Nedved and his agent wait to sign, the worse it will be for the Oilers. Every day that goes by my hopes of finally having a centre who can score are going down.

Old
07-19-2004, 06:00 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:

I think KLowe will not sign Nedved, unfortunately. He will likely go to one of the big money teams who has a big name retiring and has some money to throw around. This, would be a huge mistake for Nedved IMHO. Here, he is "The Man", as opposed to him going to a contender, and simply being a "depth player".

I don't think KLowe will be afraid to roll with this as our center situation for 04-05(pending the situation with Reasoner's knee):

York
Horcoff
Reasoner
Stoll

Considering in 03-04 we rolled with this at season's start:

Smyth
York
Reasoner
Horcoff

If anything, i think the 04-05 center depth is better. Fellow poster's thoughts?

Last edited by Dr_Gonz0: 07-19-2004 at 06:06 PM.
Closed Thread