HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wolski joins Team Underhill (Boyle returns too)

Old
06-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxZENxxx View Post
Not sure we have a choice. The buyout period is from 6/15-6/30... which is BEFORE free agency on 7/1.

I would actually be shocked if they bought out Wolski. You can't just give up on his talent that easily, unless Sather knows exactly what they will do with that cap space. BR can easily be signed with a Drury buyout and Chris is almost useless at this point in his career.

If it's an either or situation... Drury of course.

But even from what Torts said after the exit interviews I'm not convinced we'll see this org buy out Drury.

I'd love to be wrong here obviously.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
But even from what Torts said after the exit interviews I'm not convinced we'll see this org buy out Drury.
I'd bet my life savings on it!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:42 PM
XLJ

Boyle said that Dubi, Del Zotto and Prust might join him too. Barb is also working with some of the rangers prospects.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Chalfdiggity3

I actually dont know what i want to do with Wolski, id like to give him another chance but i also wouldnt mind him being in a deal to get us a better draft pick or upgrade in a different position.

What i had a change of heart with is with Drury's buyout. Before you all eat my alive, just hear me out. If we can bring in Richards great, if not then i say keep drury for one more season and have his entire caphit come off next year. With Drury's 7m, Averys 2m, and EC's 1m off the books. It gives us a TON of capspace to sign some great free agents next year. Id say to go hard after Brent Burns, and then trade Girardi + for a top line forward.

Then we would have a formidable top line, along with the very talented pack line..
along with a Staal-Burns, Mcd-Sauer, Erixon-MDZ/V-tank pairings

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:44 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
not sure what there is to be pessimistic about players trying to improve their skating and make themselves better...obviously the odds are against anyone seeing an improvement like boyle did last year. but any improvement these players make is a good thing.
As if they do not have anything else to do. The skating lessons will be taken not in addition, but instead of other training work simply because there is no more time to spare. No matter how improved you are as a skater it is secondary to conditioning and other athletic aspects current coach cares about.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
As if they do not have anything else to do. The skating lessons will be taken not in addition, but instead of other training work simply because there is no more time to spare. No matter how improved you are as a skater it is secondary to conditioning and other athletic aspects current coach cares about.
Skating with her is going to improve your conditioning as well.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:24 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'd be happier to see prospect like Grachev work with Underhill as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
This exactly.
While I don't doubt that BU could help anyone improve, among all the players in the Rangers organization, Grachev is probably in the last 5% of needing her help. His skating is excellent - just like most of his physical tools. (In fact, there is at least one blog post from one of the last two training camps about how Rangers' brass and players gathering at the glass to watch his stride.) The vast, vast majority of his problems are confidence-related

Now, if Barb's lessons also come with extensive coaching on assertiveness and decisiveness, then absolutely Evgeny should make the trip.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Glad to see Wolski making the effort and going to improve his skating. However, his real issue lies within his work ethic on the ice.

I'd be surprised to see the Rangers buy him out. Seems like they would have notified him ahead of time.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:51 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Skating with her is going to improve your conditioning as well.
and its not like they would be skating with her 40 hours a week...this is their fulltime job. during the offseason i think they can all spare a few extra hours here and there on top of their normal training.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:56 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Glad to see Wolski making the effort and going to improve his skating. However, his real issue lies within his work ethic on the ice.

I'd be surprised to see the Rangers buy him out. Seems like they would have notified him ahead of time.
This. I don't think we'll buy Wolski out.

Let's say we sign Richards.

Dubi-Richards-Gaborik
X-Arty-Cally

X is either the guy we have on our team now, or a guy like Jussi Jokinen which will cost us more than Wolski. I'd be fine with keeping W2 here for another year.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
This. I don't think we'll buy Wolski out.

Let's say we sign Richards.

Dubi-Richards-Gaborik
X-Arty-Cally

X is either the guy we have on our team now, or a guy like Jussi Jokinen which will cost us more than Wolski. I'd be fine with keeping W2 here for another year.
I dont think we should buy out either player being Wolski or Drury. let their contracts come off the cap for next year along with avery's and holy **** there will be 13m off the books of dead weight players/capspace. Then we sign Brent Burns, and package Girardi + for a top forward to play with Richards and Gaborik.

Umm i dont get what everyone's obsession is with putting Dubinsky on the top line.. The Dubinsky, Anisimov, and Callahan line was the only line that consistantly produced and had chemistry. leave that line alone and just put W2 up with Richards and Gaborik. So now we have 2-3 lines that can put the puck in the net and not 1.

Wolski Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Cally

Old
06-08-2011, 02:01 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

W2 on the top line could work, but Dubinsky is better than James Neal who Richards was able to turn into a legitimate threat. I think Dubi on that line would work out VERY well.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Chalfdiggity3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
W2 on the top line could work, but Dubinsky is better than James Neal who Richards was able to turn into a legitimate threat. I think Dubi on that line would work out VERY well.
But then again, your still leaving the team with only 1 scoring line rather than spreading out the talent and having two legit scoring lines. I just dont think its a good idea. Leave the one line that worked great all season long, create a top line with richards gaborik and wolski and finally we will have two legit scoring lines.

I completley understand your thinking tho.. That would make for one hell of a top line.. But then what about the other lines? we will again be a 1 line scoring team

Old
06-08-2011, 02:05 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

How many people can she work with? It seems like a program that needs a lot of individual attention. Either way, I'm all for Wolski joining. A second term with Boyle will help set the skating with him too, at some points he went back to his old style.

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I am pessimistic about it. BB improvement could be co-incidental. He is a big man and those usually bloom out late. It doesn't hurt, though. WW has money to burn, it won't be completely wasted, but as I said, I wouldn't hold my breath on this.
whats there to be pessimistic about? its like going to the gym it does something and cant hurt you at all. nobody is saying wolski is going to start scoring 60 points because he learned how to skate, but im sure hell be a much more mobile player.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:08 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

This woman should be a skating coach for the team!

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:10 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Boyle said that Dubi, Del Zotto and Prust might join him too. Barb is also working with some of the rangers prospects.
Source?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
How many people can she work with? It seems like a program that needs a lot of individual attention. Either way, I'm all for Wolski joining. A second term with Boyle will help set the skating with him too, at some points he went back to his old style.
i doubt its an all day event, im sure she has multiple training sessions like any other trainer.

also pretty sure del zotto is going back to that strength training program thing he did last year with stamkos and co.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Source?
It's in this video:

http://www.nyrangersblog.com/2011-ar...underhill.html

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
While I don't doubt that BU could help anyone improve, among all the players in the Rangers organization, Grachev is probably in the last 5% of needing her help. His skating is excellent - just like most of his physical tools. (In fact, there is at least one blog post from one of the last two training camps about how Rangers' brass and players gathering at the glass to watch his stride.) The vast, vast majority of his problems are confidence-related

Now, if Barb's lessons also come with extensive coaching on assertiveness and decisiveness, then absolutely Evgeny should make the trip.
I think Grachev has excellent straight ahead speed and in general is a pretty solid skater. The part of his game he seems to really be working on is puck pursuit. To me that was always about being able to master quick stops/starts/turns and working in the smaller spaces. I think Grachev would be served well by improving that capability.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:08 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Glad to hear Boyle's doing this again. Man, did he look like a different player after doing this last year.

This right here is enough for me to want to bring Wolski back.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Thanks. Glad so many guys are looking to improve their skating.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
Great to hear. I love hearing this. This shows the effort and the willingness to improve as a player and as a team.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:18 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
This woman should be a skating coach for the team!
She is a figure skater. Given figure skaters are better skaters overall, she can help those who missed that part in their childhood, Boyle and Wolski are both from poor families not able to afford a personal skating coach for the kids. Just keep in mind there will be no sticks, pucks and other attributes of routine hockey skating practice there, so value of this thing isn't there for everyone.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:23 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Anisimov should join too. He's slow as ****.
Or is he just picking his spots in a cerebral game???

I say that half heartedly as he is a fine two way center so he does think the game in a different way and probably skates in a conservative way to be able to do that. But he is a deffinate candidate for Barb Underhill. His 1st full season he had bambi legs but was a bit more solid last year and got 40+ pts out of it. I think we could get a better understanding of just what Artie is and his value to the Rangers if he got some training with Mrs. Underhill. The kid does have some seperation speed if you youtube some of his highlight reel goals. With his size & hands he'd be a beast if he could do it more often.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote