HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Wolski joins Team Underhill (Boyle returns too)

Old
06-11-2011, 01:26 PM
satrabyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
IMO, Drury should be bought out before Wolski. Wolski still provides offense, despite how streaky he may be. The fact that he's working on his skating indicates he has the desire to improve his play. Not like a Zherdev type who couldn't give a **** about getting better. These are the types of guys we want on the team.
If skating was his only problem i would be on board, the prob is more in his head than anything. Wrong mentality out on the ice, has to compete harder, be tougher, win 1 on 1 battles etc. Skating is great but its not everything.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Agreed, it looked like he hit a wall in the 2nd half of the season which is why I was even more shocked that he played in the World Championships. Figured it would be best for him just to get some rest after the long season but more experience doesn't hurt.
He had a decent amount of rest before WC began and with a young body, it was enough for a short tournament. Plus, he has the whole summer to rest.

I think that experience was very important to his development. He played against some excellent teams, he played in important games, he learned what it was like to win and to lose important games. All of this will be useful when the Rangers are ready to make a playoff run.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I'd be happier to see the entire team and system work with Underhill. Even skaters like Gaborik could probably get a little tune up to their stride in a one day session. Their stay at the camp would last as needed.

Assuming a team gets eliminated in the first round, there are 100 weekdays in the summer after you give players a week to rest from the playoffs.

This is what I would like to see for all Rangers and all prospects who will be fighting for a spot in preseason:

- One 5-day week skating seminar for the whole team where they all work jointly at the beginning of the summer.

- One 5-day week skating seminar for the whole team where they all work jointly at the end of the summer.

- 1 full day one-on-one with each guy, which would be about 50 days.

- 1 full additional day one-on-one with top-20 prospects, rookies and sophomores.

- 5 players and prospects selected to practice skating 10 hours a week each either one-on-one or as part of this small group for 4 weeks. Each player would get 3 sessions of 2.5 hours hours individually, plus they could all skate together once a week for 2.5 hours.

This would be full-time work for Underhill, but for the team, it would be 2 weeks plus one day for most players or 2 weeks plus two days for most prospects.

I would agree that this has to be voluntary, but it should be strongly encouraged by the team. The Russians have a strong skating program and it shows.

Also, I think a similar program should be used for shooting. And the Rangers should also pick 5-10 players who are either developing (prospects, rookies) or out of shape and have them work with professional trainers and nutrionists for a few weeks each summer.

Old
06-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post

Yeah, that's it. She teaches speed skating. Wolski doesn't need to skate faster. Yeah.

Who knows, it could make up for other stuff. Think of it this way, if Bure was only an average or even above average skater, he would not have been the player that he was. Sure, speed wouldn't technically have been the problem, but the reality is that it was speed in large part that allowed him to be as good as he was.

If Wolski can become a superior skater, it could make up for his other deficiencies. That said, I am not sure Underhill can teach him to get that much better.

On the other hand, if that's part of his overall program, it can also be good. He improves his skating a little, he improves his shooting a little, he gets a little stronger... sure, none of this is ground-breaking, but a little of each and suddendly he goes from a crappy second liner to a very solid one.

Old
06-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
She is teaching how to do back crossovers better, i.e. weight transfer, use of outer edge, etc. So she does just that. I took the class many times (male coach was the difference), it's very useful.
However, if you unable to place the shot between the goalie shoulder and the crossbar on most tries you not going to be more productive.

Like I said, I really hope he takes some shooting classes this year. If he does not, he will go on long no-goal streaks next year, potentially losing his confidence. If he doesn't hit strong enough, he'll still be ok, but if he can't score, there is a chance of him collapsing due to confidence.

The accuracy of his shot isn't bad, though it could be improved. What he needs to improve is how hard his shot it. Unless he works on it, I'm afraid he won't like the 2011-12 season.

Old
06-11-2011, 04:52 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Assuming a team gets eliminated in the first round, there are 100 weekdays in the summer after you give players a week to rest from the playoffs.

This is what I would like to see for all Rangers and all prospects who will be fighting for a spot in preseason:

- One 5-day week skating seminar for the whole team where they all work jointly at the beginning of the summer.

- One 5-day week skating seminar for the whole team where they all work jointly at the end of the summer.

- 1 full additional day one-on-one with top-20 prospects, rookies and sophomores.

- 5 players and prospects selected to practice skating 10 hours a week each either one-on-one or as part of this small group for 4 weeks. Each player would get 3 sessions of 2.5 hours hours individually, plus they could all skate together once a week for 2.5 hours.

This would be full-time work for Underhill, but for the team, it would be 2 weeks plus one day for most players or 2 weeks plus two days for most prospects.

I would agree that this has to be voluntary, but it should be strongly encouraged by the team. The Russians have a strong skating program and it shows.

Also, I think a similar program should be used for shooting. And the Rangers should also pick 5-10 players who are either developing (prospects, rookies) or out of shape and have them work with professional trainers and nutrionists for a few weeks each summer.
This is against the law. Every worker, unionized or not, is entitled to vacation.

Players work for fans. They do not live for them. That what most fans have to understand and except. Without such, there will always be suggestions like Drury to retire in order to get the fans a new FA toy or players to work 24/7 spilling their guts to win a SC (no less).

Last edited by 94now: 06-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:16 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

The whole team should be required to break their ***** for this amazing woman.

Look at BRIAN ************* BOYLE!!!!!

...and keep her exclusive to NYR.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:27 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
This is against the law. Every worker, unionized or not, is entitled to vacation.

Players work for fans. They do not live for them. That what most fans have to understand and except. Without such, there will always be suggestions like Drury to retire in order to get the fans a new FA toy or players to work 24/7 spilling their guts to win a SC (no less).

It seems like a busy schedule, but it really isn't.

For instance, 50 players/prospects will take up 50 days... but each player/prospect will only do 1 day. Not exactly a tremendous workload. They can each more or less choose the date that is comfortable for them.

And one week in May plus one week right before preseason probably won't kill them either.

For NHLers, it would be 2 weeks plus 1 day. For prospects, it's 2 weeks plus 2 days. Plus 5 players would voluntarily spend 4 weeks practicing one-on-one or in a small group for only 10 hours a week. The other dozens of players would spend their time on the beach. And even those 5 guys, let's be honest, they would still have another 8 weeks of vacation.

Old
06-12-2011, 01:39 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:

woah there. You've got like 16+ weeks scheduled out there for only 100 days in the summer AND you want a similar program for shooting? Please tell me you aren't a producer or project manager

You'll have to find 10 other Barb Underhills to pull this off. 50 students is too many to handle. 7-10 per person max. And you'd have to hire 50 camera men. And then you'd have 100 people on the ice or would have to get ice time at multiple rinks. Your getting diminished and diluted returns if you try to cram that many people in at once. I think a one or two sessions of skating (in the 7-10 person groups) plus one on one time would be sufficient. And by one on one, I don't mean a whole day. That's kind of silly especially if you cram it into one day. Just how much progress could they possibly make? 15 minute sessions for video review should suffice. 3 hours would cover 12 players. If they averaged three review sessions each, even that is a lot of time. I guess players would "graduate" out of that process. So maybe 9 players per session w/ ~2 hours worth of review and possibly group critique.

It'd be great if all the Rangers became skating experts so during the season they could keep each other in good form. "You're slacking in the knees again!"

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:35 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
But then again, your still leaving the team with only 1 scoring line rather than spreading out the talent and having two legit scoring lines. I just dont think its a good idea. Leave the one line that worked great all season long, create a top line with richards gaborik and wolski and finally we will have two legit scoring lines.

I completley understand your thinking tho.. That would make for one hell of a top line.. But then what about the other lines? we will again be a 1 line scoring team
X LW/Stepan/Callahan is still a very legitimate 2nd line. Let's say as a worst case scenario the third line looks like this: Boyle/Anisimov/Prust. If their point production was duplicated next season, they'd have a combined 108 points. That's not terrible.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I don't think he's slow. I think he just looks slow because of his size. If he was that slow, I don't think he'd be used as much on the PK.
Agreed. It reminds me of when people said Antropov was slow. Antropov got from point A to point B as fast as a guy his size should have, it just looked like he was slow because he took long strides.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
woah there. You've got like 16+ weeks scheduled out there for only 100 days in the summer AND you want a similar program for shooting? Please tell me you aren't a producer or project manager
But read closer. It's actually only 100 weekdays, and it's not the whole team practicing. Other than two 5-day seminars, each player essentially drops in for 1 or 2 days. The rest of the time, it's vacation.

Quote:
You'll have to find 10 other Barb Underhills to pull this off.
Not really since she'd be doing it 1 player at a time 90% of the time. But if we do need multiple skating coaches, she's isn't the only one and may not even be the best one probably.

There are plenty of Olympic-level skating coaches around.

Old
06-12-2011, 03:05 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
But read closer. It's actually only 100 weekdays, and it's not the whole team practicing. Other than two 5-day seminars, each player essentially drops in for 1 or 2 days. The rest of the time, it's vacation.

Not really since she'd be doing it 1 player at a time 90% of the time. But if we do need multiple skating coaches, she's isn't the only one and may not even be the best one probably.

There are plenty of Olympic-level skating coaches around.
And I assure you, literary editor is not my occupation.

Well the two 5-day seminars would be insane. but I guess no more than opening day at camp but even then they break it up into two groups. sometimes 4. 10 days. 50 players @ 1 day each 50 days. 20 players for additional session = 20 more days. I'm not sure how your additional practice hours work out there but sans those you're already up to 80 days there, which is certainly less than 100 days but you did say you wanted to do something with shooting as well and 160 days is definitely more than 100 unless you have a 20 schedule in mind. If more capable skating coaches are brought in, then that could work.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

But shooting would not be with the same coach. So each player would get one individual day of skating and one day of shooting. Prospects would get two days of each.

Five players would get skating for 4 weeks and OTHER five players would use that time for shooting.

The two five-day seminars could be just for prospects, cookies and sophomores, plus any veteran player who volunteers to join on.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

how about this idea.

The Rangers would start a mini school of special skills: skating, shooting, bodybuilding, defense. Each class would be for 4 weeks for 5 players/prospects at a time.

This would be voluntary, but certain players would be strongly encouraged to participate, especially the rookies, sophomores and top prospects.

Old
06-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Pizza

Quote:

Lovin' this, LOL.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Note that in the Workers' Paradise, hockey players,had to train 11 months of the year. It's not such a bad deal either: do you get over a month vacation?

I am not even suggesting we do that. All I want are 4-week training camps for particular skills for prospects, rookies and sophomores.

I think we all can see how much sports improved with addition training by players during the summer on ad hoc basis where everyone does as he pleases.

Organizing it in a professional manner for young kids would be another step forward.

Old
06-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Note that in the Workers' Paradise, hockey players,had to train 11 months of the year. It's not such a bad deal either: do you get over a month vacation?

I am not even suggesting we do that. All I want are 4-week training camps for particular skills for prospects, rookies and sophomores.

I think we all can see how much sports improved with addition training by players during the summer on ad hoc basis where everyone does as he pleases.

Organizing it in a professional manner for young kids would be another step forward.
I guess it must be a workers' paradise then--I'm pretty sure that the CBA prohibits teams from forcing roster players into organized training sessions during the off-season. Probably a good thing too--some teams have the money to do a huge program, others don't. Also, some teams would use it as a punishment/reward for certain players, etc, etc.

Teams can and do make up pretty detailed off-season programs for individual players--it's up to the person to do it. Part of being a professional.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote