Notices

Calgary - Ottawa

Old
06-08-2011, 12:23 PM
papaphilly

vCash: 633
Calgary - Ottawa

Take it for what it's worth...After all it is from Eklund
But still interested to here your thoughts, and what can happen. Even if it's 1% possible.

The BIG rumor...

Calgary and Ottawa are talking...and from what I have been told it is a 5 player deal. Now this is just rumor so take it for what it's worth, but the source who told me this yesterday was insistent that I wait until today to even mention it. Usually when this happens it either means something will go down very soon or it means something ELSE has to happen.

From my morning digging, I believe that something else is going to happen today, or possibly tonight.

There is a deal I believe between LA and Ottawa that has to happen first...and this deal would put one of the key pieces to Ottawa, a piece Calgary would need to make the trade.

Hint...think in terms of guys who are from these towns...

Hate to be so vague, but sometimes it's "be vague or say nothing at all" and since you all look to me for your rumor fix I am guessing most of you would rather me be vague...

papaphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Northern Neighbour

vCash: 500
There's not a single player from the Flames that was born or resides in the Ottawa area.

The only Calgarian on the Sens is Chris Phillips, and he just signed an extension before the trade deadline and he has a NMC.

The only player on the Kings close to Calgary is Ryan Smyth, who is originally from Banff.

In other words, sounds like another garbage rumour from Eklund.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Signature
PEEP PEEP PARTY

vCash: 50
Not railing on you papaphilly but I'll be goddamned if this isn't the absolute worst "rumour" I've heard ever... not worth the seconds of life it took to read it.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 01:28 PM
fischy13

IF TRUE,

Here's my guess based on the "HINT"

Tomas Hickey is from Calgary as well as Phillips.

The Flames have a bunch of Mississagua players... almost 500 km away, but close enough.

LA and Ottawa
Spezza maybe a pick too to LA

Schenn and Hickey to OTT

CGY and Ottawa

Phillips, Hickey and Schenn to CGY

Bouwmeester and Stajan and pick to OTT

Now, realistically, not all the players involved can possibley be from the hometown, but this is as close as it comes.

Nor am I saying these are fair proposals, but based on the info given, it would have to be something simular to this

fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:53 PM
papaphilly

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Conroy View Post
Not railing on you papaphilly but I'll be goddamned if this isn't the absolute worst "rumour" I've heard ever... not worth the seconds of life it took to read it.
No Worries H.C, no offence taken. Like I said doesn't look like anything, but anything revolving the Flames by anyone will get my attention. It's going to be a looooooong summer.

papaphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Backlund

After you said Eklund I knew it was ********.

But if this really does happen I hope we get rid of Stajan, Hagman and Kotalik.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by fischy13 View Post
IF TRUE,

The Flames have a bunch of Mississagua players... almost 500 km away, but close enough.

LA and Ottawa

Schenn and Hickey to OTT

CGY and Ottawa

Now, realistically, not all the players involved can possibley be from the hometown, but this is as close as it comes.

Nor am I saying these are fair proposals, but based on the info given, it would have to be something simular to this
Spezza is worth more than Bouwmeester, yet you have the Flames receiving a lot more in return. No way Ottawa deals Spezza and Phillips for Bouwmeester and Stajan. That's absolutely brutal for Ottawa.

Your proposal is worse than Eklund's rumour.

Old
06-08-2011, 06:03 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

^Agreed. Probably wouldn't even work in NHL 11.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Janko Unchained
Flames CBA Guy

vCash: 240
Quote:
IF TRUE,

LA and Ottawa

Schenn and Hickey to OTT

CGY and Ottawa

Why would LA want Spezza? They have Anze "My last name in English means Horse Shoe" Kopitar. On top of that, they got Stoll, Handzus, Schenn and Moller to mention the ones I can ring off the top of my head. I don't see why LA would want to make a move for another #1 center in Spezza when they have one in Kopitar.

As for OP: Sorry, but that Eklund rumour is probably one of the worst I've heard in a long time.

Janko Unchained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:32 PM
FlamesFan6612
#timerixonwho?

Quote:
IF TRUE,

LA and Ottawa

Schenn and Hickey to OTT

CGY and Ottawa

That would be complete robbery by the Flames if that happened

FlamesFan6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Shameus

Sens and Thrasher fans have talked a lot over the last season about possible deals. I don't think they are very likely to pull a three way trade. From our dealings, most of their deals centered around Spezza and Kuba with a sprinkling of Michalek of the players left on their roster (Kovalev and Fisher were included from time to time as well). When we usually asked about Phillips we were told he was unavailable. I know these are just fan bases talking, but they usually have a decent idea as well.

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:58 PM
fischy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Spezza is worth more than Bouwmeester, yet you have the Flames receiving a lot more in return. No way Ottawa deals Spezza and Phillips for Bouwmeester and Stajan. That's absolutely brutal for Ottawa.

Your proposal is worse than Eklund's rumour.
Mod-edit: deleted., this is not a proposal, it's one of few scenarios that would work based on eklunds "hint". If you actually read my whole post it says this at the bottom.

I'm merely pointing out how ridiculous the trade who have to be to make these hints work.

The reason I suggest Spezza, he's the only one with that kind of trading power.

Again, based on this hint, this is what I think it could be suggesting. Which I also realize is rediculous and far fetched.

Last edited by Snoil11: 06-09-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: flaming
fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich0591 View Post
^Agreed. Probably wouldn't even work in NHL 11.
oooo but it does. in NHL 11 i managed to trade jbow and stajan + pick for Zetty and Datsiuk.

Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:17 AM
WhereIsIt
#gift

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselCGY View Post
oooo but it does. in NHL 11 i managed to trade jbow and stajan + pick for Zetty and Datsiuk.
Langkow + Toskala + Regher for Zetty and Datsuyk right here. I didn't even propose that one, they did! Huge hole in their trading system, haha.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:41 AM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotalik Fanboy View Post
Langkow + Toskala + Regher for Zetty and Datsuyk right here. I didn't even propose that one, they did! Huge hole in their trading system, haha.
Intagibles!

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:59 AM
pepchew

This is all that makes sense to me:

Brandon Kozun was born in LA and raised in Calgary. Mitch Wahl is from the LA area. Hickey is from Calgary.

I would not want to lose Wahl, and I am not sure Kozun and Hickey have a lot of NHL upside. Oscar Moller is said to want out of LA. I wouldn't mind a deal that included him.

Who is from Ottawa?

pepchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepchew View Post
This is all that makes sense to me:

Brandon Kozun was born in LA and raised in Calgary. Mitch Wahl is from the LA area. Hickey is from Calgary.

I would not want to lose Wahl, and I am not sure Kozun and Hickey have a lot of NHL upside. Oscar Moller is said to want out of LA. I wouldn't mind a deal that included him.

Who is from Ottawa?
Hickey IMO has a lot of upside. My brother was friends with him while he was living in Calgary and I saw him play a couple of times. Kozun while not the best prospect could turn into a good 2nd/3rd line forward IMO. If we were going to get Kozun and Hickey I wouldn't mind losing Wahl especially since Reinhart seems to be doing so well.

Old
06-09-2011, 01:28 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotalik Fanboy View Post
I'll do you one better:
Stajan+2nd got me Backstrom.

Next season,
Stajan+Moss got me Getzlaf.

Both trades offered by the CPU. Who knew Stajan was in such high demand.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Backlund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
I'll do you one better:
Stajan+2nd got me Backstrom.

Next season,
Stajan+Moss got me Getzlaf.

Both trades offered by the CPU. Who knew Stajan was in such high demand.
I gotta try this.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Mod-edit: deleted., this is not a proposal, it's one of few scenarios that would work based on eklunds "hint". If you actually read my whole post it says this at the bottom.

I'm merely pointing out how ridiculous the trade who have to be to make these hints work.

The reason I suggest Spezza, he's the only one with that kind of trading power.

Again, based on this hint, this is what I think it could be suggesting. Which I also realize is rediculous and far fetched.
Mod-edit: deleted. I criticized the trade proposal because it was completely one-sided in the Flames' favour. Heck, everyone else agrees. Mod-edit: deleted.

Second, you made a trade suggestion based on Eklund's rumour, which has obvious holes in it. Actually, your trade idea went beyond his rumour by including players who have no ties to the cities quoted. For instance, Spezza has no ties to Calgary and Bouwmeester has never resided in the Ottawa area.

Third, if you thought it was ridiculous and far-fetched, why not just say so in the first place? Your post now just looks like you're trying to save face after people have pointed out how lopsided it is. And now I've pointed out further holes in your argument.

Last edited by Snoil11: 06-09-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: qep
Old
06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
jtommyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaphilly View Post
But still interested to here your thoughts, and what can happen. Even if it's 1% possible.

The BIG rumor...

Calgary and Ottawa are talking...and from what I have been told it is a 5 player deal. Now this is just rumor so take it for what it's worth, but the source who told me this yesterday was insistent that I wait until today to even mention it. Usually when this happens it either means something will go down very soon or it means something ELSE has to happen.

From my morning digging, I believe that something else is going to happen today, or possibly tonight.

There is a deal I believe between LA and Ottawa that has to happen first...and this deal would put one of the key pieces to Ottawa, a piece Calgary would need to make the trade.

Hint...think in terms of guys who are from these towns...

Hate to be so vague, but sometimes it's "be vague or say nothing at all" and since you all look to me for your rumor fix I am guessing most of you would rather me be vague...
All five players in the eventual trade don't need to be tied to the home-towns necessarily...

It could be as simple as Stajan being included in the final package. That's how Eklund roles... Stajan's from Ontario, that's all he needs for a hint like that.

Ottawa has tons of prospect depth, they'd actually be a pretty great trading partner for us if we're sending NHL players and getting prospects in return.

jtommyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:26 AM
pepchew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
Hickey IMO has a lot of upside. My brother was friends with him while he was living in Calgary and I saw him play a couple of times. Kozun while not the best prospect could turn into a good 2nd/3rd line forward IMO. If we were going to get Kozun and Hickey I wouldn't mind losing Wahl especially since Reinhart seems to be doing so well.
Good points, but two-way centres are so hard to come by. I love the thought of a trio of Backlund, Renihart and Wahl as our top 3 down the road.

I remember when Hickey was well thought of. He still may have potential, but I like TJ for a smallish offensive d-man. With Giordano (he plays bigger than his size) in the mix for the long term, I don't see the need for Hickey in C-town. On the other hand, Kozun is a guy who could provide some offence as a forward -something we clearly do need, but at what price? Personally, I hope we give Wahl a full season to see what he can do as a pro.

pepchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtommyt View Post
All five players in the eventual trade don't need to be tied to the home-towns necessarily...

It could be as simple as Stajan being included in the final package. That's how Eklund roles... Stajan's from Ontario, that's all he needs for a hint like that.

Ottawa has tons of prospect depth, they'd actually be a pretty great trading partner for us if we're sending NHL players and getting prospects in return.
Ottawa's prospect depth is slightly above-average. They have quite a few young defencemen, but their forward depth is actually quite shallow at least in terms of top-end talent. If Ottawa trades a young blueliner, they would be looking for a similar, high-end forward in return, but the Flames don't have such players. Well, the club has Backlund, but I don't see the Flames moving him.

IMO, the Flames and Senators aren't great trading partners. Both clubs are in similar positions in terms of building their clubs - i.e., both need an infusion of young, skilled talent.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
IMO, the Flames and Senators aren't great trading partners. Both clubs are in similar positions in terms of building their clubs - i.e., both need an infusion of young, skilled talent.
This.

But looking around the league, it seems like higher end defense prospects are in excess where forwards are in demand. Might be because it's easier to determine boom/bust potential for a forward or there's less margin for error for forwards in general.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Hangin' in the dome

vCash: 5001
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaphilly View Post
Here's where I stopped reading.

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote