HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6/8/11 - Who is Minnesota's next coach?

View Poll Results: Who is Minnesota's next coach?
Craig MacTavish 19 42.22%
Michel Therrien 4 8.89%
Ken Hitchcock 2 4.44%
Kirk Muller 3 6.67%
Peter Horachek 1 2.22%
Mike Yeo 15 33.33%
Other 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-08-2011, 07:15 PM
  #26
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Yeo and his assistants have only been together one year in Houston, and it was the first year pro coaching for both assistants. Too early to move him up IMO. If Fletcher gets the sense of urgency on his job, it would greatly increase Yeo's chances given his success this past season and familiarity with GMCF.

Hitchcock's experience will demand more $, length, and control of a team, but I still believe Fletcher will want someone experienced.

Which would lead me to MacTavish. Not a big fan of him myself, but he was a candidate last time, and hasn't coached since. Much like Richards, MacTavish will often use his dumbfounded look when things go wrong. And if things go wrong, his contract shouldn't be that significant, so bringing up Yeo or bringing in Therrien(if he remains a scout) would be options.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:03 PM
  #27
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
you're still not over it, eh? Just look at it as an affirmation of your adulthood--you aren't supposed to like that sort of thing, and Bravo--you're mature! Kids still like him. My niece and nephew dig him. Its what he's there for and though i was very much opposed to the idea now it really doesn't affect me at all.

But with MacT's history, i can see some pretty awesome violence against mascot Wild commercials--nothing cracks me up more than watching someone in a costume get abused.
Again, my sarcasm doesn't come off too well does it?

I don't care about Nordy.

Personally I like Crunch better :p

But I have just a personal dislike of MacT due to his drunk driving incident that killed someone.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:09 PM
  #28
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,425
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Again, my sarcasm doesn't come off too well does it?

I don't care about Nordy.

Personally I like Crunch better :p

But I have just a personal dislike of MacT due to his drunk driving incident that killed someone.
wooshed right over my head man. sorry!

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:14 PM
  #29
DrMarvinCandle
Registered User
 
DrMarvinCandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Long-term Habs fan here: Therrien was one of the best things to happen to Montréal, was not given a long enough leash in Pittsburgh, and would be perfect for Minnesota. He's the kick in the ass the franchise needs. Realistically, I think that MacTavish will get the call simply because he's the sentimental choice, and he's everything Richards was not: a successful player, a hard worker, and the owner of a genuine human-grade personality.

DrMarvinCandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:15 PM
  #30
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
wooshed right over my head man. sorry!
No problem. My sarcasm is very subtle...which is an art

I just know a ton of fans hate Nordy for some odd reason. It makes sense business wise but traditionalists don't like mascots or ice girls for some odd reason.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:21 PM
  #31
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMarvinCandle View Post
Long-term Habs fan here: Therrien was one of the best things to happen to Montréal, was not given a long enough leash in Pittsburgh, and would be perfect for Minnesota. He's the kick in the ass the franchise needs. Realistically, I think that MacTavish will get the call simply because he's the sentimental choice, and he's everything Richards was not: a successful player, a hard worker, and the owner of a genuine human-grade personality.
Welcome!

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:09 PM
  #32
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMarvinCandle View Post
Long-term Habs fan here: Therrien was one of the best things to happen to Montréal, was not given a long enough leash in Pittsburgh, and would be perfect for Minnesota. He's the kick in the ass the franchise needs. Realistically, I think that MacTavish will get the call simply because he's the sentimental choice, and he's everything Richards was not: a successful player, a hard worker, and the owner of a genuine human-grade personality.
I'd be concerned with how Havlat/Latendresse would respond to a coach like Therrien. We're already starved offensively as is. Therrien's a pretty strict coach and those 2 don't strike me as guys that would thrive under him, given their histories.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:10 PM
  #33
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,425
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMarvinCandle View Post
Long-term Habs fan here: Therrien was one of the best things to happen to Montréal, was not given a long enough leash in Pittsburgh, and would be perfect for Minnesota. He's the kick in the ass the franchise needs. Realistically, I think that MacTavish will get the call simply because he's the sentimental choice, and he's everything Richards was not: a successful player, a hard worker, and the owner of a genuine human-grade personality.
The personality comes out on broadcasts, but on the bench i only remember seeing that open-jawed, slightly squinty look of utter disbelief. I suppose as far as facial expression goes he's already one-up on the blank-stare mask Richards favored.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:52 PM
  #34
State of Hockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 11,189
vCash: 500
MacT would be my favorite choice, but I'm betting it will be Yeo. Staying in-house, and I don't exactly like that right now.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:07 PM
  #35
BuddyMcCormick
Registered User
 
BuddyMcCormick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,907
vCash: 934
I voted for Peter H. mostly because I hadn't heard of him and he was the only one that is italicized.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:24 PM
  #36
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I voted for Peter H. mostly because I hadn't heard of him and he was the only one that is italicized.
Haha, they only get italicized after you vote for them.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:32 PM
  #37
North Metro Peewees
Registered User
 
North Metro Peewees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philly Stupid
Country: United States
Posts: 1,133
vCash: 500
I'm betting on Yeo, just based on his 5 yrs in the NHL as an assistant with the Pens and his success in his first year as a head coach. I think he will likely be the next young star coach.

In my opinion Hitchcock's message wears thin by year two which means were likely going through this in two more years.

MacTavish would be okay; but he's just never distinguished himself as anything but a good coach and I doubt he takes the next step to being a great one.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:36 PM
  #38
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat
 
llamapalooza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,264
vCash: 500
I think GMCF would have a rough time selling management and the fans on a rookie coach and Calder Cup runner-up the year after firing a rookie coach and Calder Cup winner.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:06 AM
  #39
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,587
vCash: 50
If GMCF goes with Yeo, I am going to be very disappointed in him. Right now Yeo is where he can do the most good, and thats in the Wild's farm system. Once hes developed a few semi-stars for us, then we can look at bringing him up. But for now he needs to stay down there so we have some talent that can come up to help the Wild.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:39 AM
  #40
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Honestly, it doesn't sound like you are too thrilled with any of your candidates and I don't necessarily blame you. Kirk Muller is a sexy pick, but is still untested as a head coach and likely destined for Dallas. Hitchcock and Therrien are brash, rigid personalities that usually get quick results, but usually fade off just as quick because their message gets tuned out. MacTavish, as someone else put it, has shown the ability to be a good coach, but is he ever going to take that next step to becoming a great coach. And last, but not least, there is Mike Yeo who has NHL experience as an assistant and had a great season as the head coach in Houston. Yeo's familiar with the organization and the younger players on the team, but again there's the inexperience factor.

Why is Peter Horachek flying under the radar here? I'm sure a lot of it has to do with unfamiliarity, but Horachek has head coaching experience in the minor league levels and has won championships. He's been an NHL assistant for a long time working under arguably two head coaches in Trotz and Brent Peterson (who would've been a head coach long ago if not for his battle with Parkinson's). He's a great communicator and motivator, a tireless worker (he missed just one game battling prostate cancer last season - he's in good health now), and as smart and detailed as they come (I've attended a couple coaching clinics where he's lectured and had the opportunity to talk to him on multiple occasions as well.

If you want to strengthen the culture of your team, maybe change to a more aggressive forechecking system, and develop the younger players into the core of your team moving forward I really believe Peter Horachek would be a great choice. Personally, I'd hate to lose him this summer since we've already had to replace Brent Peterson on the bench, but I'd be very happy to see Coach Horachek reach his goal of becoming an NHL head coach.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:32 AM
  #41
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,425
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Honestly, it doesn't sound like you are too thrilled with any of your candidates and I don't necessarily blame you. Kirk Muller is a sexy pick, but is still untested as a head coach and likely destined for Dallas. Hitchcock and Therrien are brash, rigid personalities that usually get quick results, but usually fade off just as quick because their message gets tuned out. MacTavish, as someone else put it, has shown the ability to be a good coach, but is he ever going to take that next step to becoming a great coach. And last, but not least, there is Mike Yeo who has NHL experience as an assistant and had a great season as the head coach in Houston. Yeo's familiar with the organization and the younger players on the team, but again there's the inexperience factor.

Why is Peter Horachek flying under the radar here? I'm sure a lot of it has to do with unfamiliarity, but Horachek has head coaching experience in the minor league levels and has won championships. He's been an NHL assistant for a long time working under arguably two head coaches in Trotz and Brent Peterson (who would've been a head coach long ago if not for his battle with Parkinson's). He's a great communicator and motivator, a tireless worker (he missed just one game battling prostate cancer last season - he's in good health now), and as smart and detailed as they come (I've attended a couple coaching clinics where he's lectured and had the opportunity to talk to him on multiple occasions as well.

If you want to strengthen the culture of your team, maybe change to a more aggressive forechecking system, and develop the younger players into the core of your team moving forward I really believe Peter Horachek would be a great choice. Personally, I'd hate to lose him this summer since we've already had to replace Brent Peterson on the bench, but I'd be very happy to see Coach Horachek reach his goal of becoming an NHL head coach.
it's nice to get a perspective from outside our little sphere of craziness. Thanks! The reason Horachek has been dismissed out of hand for me is just the unfamiliarity factor...It's nice to know he's stood out enough in an assistant role to be admired by fans. I'll have to read up on him a little more.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:20 AM
  #42
saywut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,084
vCash: 500
Well Aeros assistant Brian Wiseman is gone now. Would make it easier to promote Yeo now knowing that they're going to have to replace one coach in Houston already.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:35 PM
  #43
Maize and Blue
Registered User
 
Maize and Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 108
vCash: 500
The Wild have been rumored to asked for permission to speak to Red Wings assistant Paul MacLean. He has also interviewed for the Senators.

Maize and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 03:50 PM
  #44
Generic User
Dynamic as they come
 
Generic User's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 6,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize and Blue View Post
The Wild have been rumored to asked for permission to speak to Red Wings assistant Paul MacLean. He has also interviewed for the Senators.
Anything related to the Red Wings makes me turn my head twice. I'm intrigued.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:29 PM
  #45
DrMarvinCandle
Registered User
 
DrMarvinCandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
... Staying in-house, and I don't exactly like that right now.
Worse, we're promoting an AHL coach. Again. Except this one couldn't win in the clutch.

DrMarvinCandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:41 PM
  #46
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMarvinCandle View Post
Worse, we're promoting an AHL coach. Again. Except this one couldn't win in the clutch.
Making the Calder Cup finals is as clutch as it gets, short of winning the cup.

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:32 PM
  #47
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,955
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maize and Blue View Post
The Wild have been rumored to asked for permission to speak to Red Wings assistant Paul MacLean. He has also interviewed for the Senators.
He has a hell of a stache



The Wild could use some of that.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:29 PM
  #48
D U M B A
The Disaster March
 
D U M B A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 1,174
vCash: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
But I have just a personal dislike of MacT due to his drunk driving incident that killed someone.
MacT would be my preference from the candidates (truthfully, I don't know much about Horacek ) but I agree kiwi, that incident is definitely troubling to say the least.

D U M B A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:44 PM
  #49
Circulartheory
@danccchan
 
Circulartheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 4,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
He has a hell of a stache



The Wild could use some of that.
Does he grow a beard during playoffs as well? I would love to see the combination of the two...

Circulartheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:53 PM
  #50
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,666
vCash: 500
MacT did a year in prison, went to a substance abuse program, made amends with the family of the person he killed, and does outreach programs with drunk driving programs. Bringing up that 30 year old incident as a reason not to hire him is ridiculous.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.