HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Howson and the Dispatch

Old
06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
EDM

vCash: 500
Howson and the Dispatch

One of the things that has really struck me about all the recent rumors is who far behind the train Puckrakers seems to be. They used to always be the ones leading the rumors. Now, they seem to be trailing a blog run by a San Diego lifeguard. There has been absolutely nothing of any substance coming from our "beat reporters". Odd. I know there was a dust up a year of two ago between the Front Office and the Dispatch crew. But in light of Howson's recent attempt to pass himself off as a human being (Twitter and a blog) rather than the arrogant dickwad he has always been, I wonder how the Dispatch seems so isolated despite Niles' new public relations campaign.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

I am interested in the Jackets' personnel moves and I really do not give one big darn shucks about the various newspaper blowhards contaminating the local print rag.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 03:23 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
I am interested in the Jackets' personnel moves and I really do not give one big darn shucks about the various newspaper blowhards contaminating the local print rag.
touche'

Back on topic, while the Dispatch does seem out of the loop, I found it revealing that Howson made a comment about discussing twitter with Portzline. I think there are some additional possibilities:

Howson and MacFarland are extremely tight lipped about their plans. I know nothing gets out of the Devils camp because Lou will cut anyone talking off at the knees. Maybe Howson does this too.

I also wonder how much of the Dispatch reporting on trades and draft picks is just either a guess because of Howson's tightness with information, or the Dispatch passing off what they want as rumors to try to create pressure on the Jackets front office. One sign of this is that Portline and Reed were clearly out of the loop on numerous moves like the Vermette deal, the Glencross/Tarnstrom deal, the Johansen pick and roster decisions all before they were taken to task for going around the team's management to get injury information. All in all, I think they just miss the loose lips of the Doug MacLean operation. He damn near telegraphed every move.

Last edited by TaketheCannoli: 06-22-2011 at 03:32 PM.
TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 04:25 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

My take on this is that nothing of substance is being reported because nothing newsworthy is actually happening.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 05:22 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
My take on this is that nothing of substance is being reported because nothing newsworthy is actually happening.
You're likely correct here, though I wouldn't be surprised if things stay tight lipped with the paper and the whole Twitter/Blog thing is just another way for the fans to get a glimpse into the life of a GM.

"#ScottyH got a nice vanilla Frappucino today, headed to the rink to watch practice lolzzz"

... or something along those lines. I doubt we'll get anything useful.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Howson getting engaged with the social media is all about connecting with the fans. It has come about after AP and MA of the Dispatch saying how the organeyezation has lost touch with the base.

Jaxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:41 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Howson getting engaged with the social media is all about connecting with the fans. It has come about after AP and MA of the Dispatch saying how the organeyezation has lost touch with the base.
I think it can't be discounted. That said, Howson needs to not just say it, he needs to show it.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:41 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

The ideas that the Dispatch has lost touch with the fans is laughable. From my point of view and experience, they are very in touch, not only with the fans, but with sources within the team and league. They offer an important counterpoint to the team's PR.

Anyone who thinks the GM's 140 character tweets are going to enlighten the fanbase is smoking twine. It's a PR move. A good one, but still PR.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
The ideas that the Dispatch has lost touch with the fans is laughable. From my point of view and experience, they are very in touch, not only with the fans, but with sources within the team and league. They offer an important counterpoint to the team's PR.

Anyone who thinks the GM's 140 character tweets are going to enlighten the fan-base is smoking twine. It's a PR move. A good one, but still PR.
I think what he was saying is that the Dispatch guys have been reporting on how the CBJ have lost their connection to the fan-base. There used to be a love affair between the team and the fans, and the poor performance by the front office has put that relationship on ice.

I think the Dispatch guys do a nice job of staying connected with the fan-base.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 06:52 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I think what he was saying is that the Dispatch guys have been reporting on how the CBJ have lost their connection to the fan-base. There used to be a love affair between the team and the fans, and the poor performance by the front office has put that relationship on ice.

I think A lot of it has to do with the personality of our GM. Not saying he is a bad guy, but he lacks the certain... Charisma... that our former GM had. We got what we asked for then, a guy that is low key, quiet, reserved, speaks only when he needs to and tends to under promise and (the results are still out) over deliver.

Old
06-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
I think A lot of it has to do with the personality of our GM. Not saying he is a bad guy, but he lacks the certain... Charisma... that our former GM had. We got what we asked for then, a guy that is low key, quiet, reserved, speaks only when he needs to and tends to under promise and (the results are still out) over deliver.
That may have something to do with it, but my point was the awful performance of the front office putting a good product on the ice.

We needed our own John Davidson years ago. Look what he was able to do to rejuvenate the Blues fan-base, even though they are still struggling to put a play-off contender on the ice.

In that regard, you are right. No one in the front office here has done anything to keep the fan - team connection alive.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:07 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

The latest from the Dispatch:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...t.html?sid=101

I'm sure many are going to love the latest from Priest!

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:20 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post

ok, I see that now.
Must be all the FREAKIN MOVING ADS and TICKER TEXT on HF BOARDS that distracted me.

@Howsontweet "I just played golf with B.Richards and signed him to a 4 yr deal."

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 07:24 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
The latest from the Dispatch:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...t.html?sid=101

I'm sure many are going to love the latest from Priest!

It wasn't as bad as some of his previous "greatest hits". With the way this team has been losing money hand over fist, I might be a bit concerned that I might be on my way out at some point if I were him.

Old
06-23-2011, 07:27 AM
EDM

Howson is NOT nice guy. He is an arrogant *****. The first four or five time they had those meetings with STH to discuss Scott's plan.s I became so incensed by his condescending attitude toward people who asked substantive questions, that I stopped go into the events. It was just that he avoided actually answering the questions, it was the attitude. There was an unspoken "why am I having to explain myself to someone like you who has an inferior knowledge base". Like I said, I just stopped going to the events. Much of my anti-Howson views on this board stem from those 4 sessions where I went to hear him speak. This "new Howson" is a joke to me. Completely insincere effort to appear to actually care about the fans.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Howson is NOT nice guy. He is an arrogant *****. The first four or five time they had those meetings with STH to discuss Scott's plan.s I became so incensed by his condescending attitude toward people who asked substantive questions, that I stopped go into the events. It was just that he avoided actually answering the questions, it was the attitude. There was an unspoken "why am I having to explain myself to someone like you who has an inferior knowledge base". Like I said, I just stopped going to the events. Much of my anti-Howson views on this board stem from those 4 sessions where I went to hear him speak. This "new Howson" is a joke to me. Completely insincere effort to appear to actually care about the fans.
What did you expect? A GM is not going to publically divulge his "master" plan. I would imagine that almost any event in the NHL like this is exactly the same. If you went into those meetings expecting Howson to give up personnel decisions, you're naive.

Being pissed about his performance is one thing, but what gives any fan the right to think that they're due some detailed explanation of how things will be corrected. To me the only recourse that fans have is how they spend their money. The organization is learning the hard way that right now fans are frustrated that this club sucks and frankly their tired of seeing it and are walking away from the gate.

Honestly, if I were in Howson's shoes, I'd feel and probably act the same way. I'm the General Manager, have significantly more knowledge about these issues than you, deal with it.

Is that out of touch with the fan base, absolutely, but put yourself in his shoes. How would you react in that situation? EDM, I'm sure that you feel that in your line of business that you have an expertise, how would you feel if the bag boy at Kroger questioned you about your expertise? You'd be salty and a dickwad too.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 08:40 AM
EDM

I expected him to conduct himself professionally and speak with a respectful and courteous tone of voice toward people who care about the team. Is that too much to ask? Re-read my post. I never complained about the substance of what he said. It was his attitude and the WAY he said nothing.

Old
06-23-2011, 08:48 AM
lotsaluv4cbj

From what I've noticed lately is that if you follow Portzline on Twitter the info is there first and then it hits the blog where of course he expands on the topic!

lotsaluv4cbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Skraut

Quote:

Anyone who thinks the GM's 140 character tweets are going to enlighten the fanbase is smoking twine. It's a PR move. A good one, but still PR.
This is what I used to believe. I used to love the Cannon Fodder podcast as a perfect counterpoint from the GMDM and later Hitch radio shows. I'd tune into those radio shows and get the "Official" spin, then listen to Cannon Fodder, and read the Dispatch articles to get as Paul Harvey would say "The Rest of the Story"

Something changed in the past season in their tone and content. It was only in the last few weeks of his employment that the Dispatch turned on Doug MacLean. Many fans expressed frustration at them before that that they weren't "doing their jobs" and writing nasty articles about him. The thing was at that point they WERE doing their jobs. They were reporting what the team was doing, not trying to influence the team by writing about what they think it should be doing.

They're reporters, their job is to report what happens. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, and spoiled to have had the privilege of working with the hall of fame reporter, Hal Lebovitz, who claimed loudly and proudly that he was not a General Manager, and wouldn't pretend to be one. He told you what was going on in the team, gave his opinions on how they were playing and treated everyone with respect. He didn't give random values to players when talking about trade speculation. In fact he rarely ever talked trade speculation. His line "When I know something to be true, you'll read it in the Morning Journal." was classic Hal

Maybe when comparing them to a guy with 60 year career, I'm holding the Dispatch guys to too high of a standard. But the frustration is they *DID* just report the facts. In the past 16 or so months their tone and writing has changed. We no longer get stories about what our players are doing in the offseason, who is in town working with the strength coach. They aren't giving us any info on any of the prospects available at the draft. They'd rather write about the coaches we didn't hire last offseason, what front office staff is on the hot seat, and pine for the first few seasons.

You know what I pine for? The coverage this team had in it's first 8 seasons. Doing actual reporting is hard. You have to do legwork and find out facts. Meet with the players get their impressions. It's much easier to be lazy and sit in front of a keyboard and give your opinion. That's why we're all here. If I want to gauge the fan reaction to things, this is where I come. It's a sad state of affairs that I have to turn to the various CBJ blogs to find out who's available at the draft, to read about Sammy Lepisto's victory celebration, and that I have to turn to Derrick Brassard's twitter feed to find out that Jake Voracek is back in town to work out.

Some days I wish the organization *HAD* hired Dineen. It would have been interesting to see the difference in attitude that would have come out of the keyboards at "Ohio's Greatest Newspaper"

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 09:56 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Must be all the FREAKIN MOVING ADS and TICKER TEXT on HF BOARDS that distracted me.
Cough up a few bucks for a sponsorship and you won't see those anymore, Beachboy.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 10:11 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Skraut, honestly, those stories were great when this was new and all was good, even if it truly wasn't. It may sound callous, but I don't really care to hear about the small, tight knight communities response to a collapsed ice barn in Dorsett's hometown, or what Jake's favorite Czech movie actor is or about the time Marc Methot played little league baseball or whatever.... its time for results and the fans have overwhelmingly told the CBJ writers that they want people to be held accountable for these continued on ice failures. They are merely reporting and slanting in a direction the readers have demanded.

I don't begrudge them for doing it, even if I don't totally agree with everything they say.

Old
06-23-2011, 10:46 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Cough up a few bucks for a sponsorship and you won't see those anymore, Beachboy.
I frankly never even realized anything of the sort was on this site.

Seriously, y'all, I'm certifiably poor and I can afford a sponsorship. Y'all are cheapskates.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
ACABrad

Wait I thought the Puckrakers guys got their insider info from the HFboards!?!?!?!?

ACABrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
What did you expect? A GM is not going to publically divulge his "master" plan. I would imagine that almost any event in the NHL like this is exactly the same. If you went into those meetings expecting Howson to give up personnel decisions, you're naive.

Being pissed about his performance is one thing, but what gives any fan the right to think that they're due some detailed explanation of how things will be corrected. To me the only recourse that fans have is how they spend their money. The organization is learning the hard way that right now fans are frustrated that this club sucks and frankly their tired of seeing it and are walking away from the gate.

Honestly, if I were in Howson's shoes, I'd feel and probably act the same way. I'm the General Manager, have significantly more knowledge about these issues than you, deal with it.

Is that out of touch with the fan base, absolutely, but put yourself in his shoes. How would you react in that situation? EDM, I'm sure that you feel that in your line of business that you have an expertise, how would you feel if the bag boy at Kroger questioned you about your expertise? You'd be salty and a dickwad too.
Well said. And for what it's worth, it also operates on the assumption that Scott Howson is arrogant, aloof, condescending, or out of touch, none of which meshes with reality.

It's also worth pointing out that the NHL takes a very dim view of tampering. The Leafs were found guilty and Ron Wilson fined after he commented on how much he'd love to have Henrik and Daniel Sedin on his team, and this was during an offseason with both of them coming up on free agency. There was some consternation on the part of the Jackets when it came out that, during an STH meeting, Ken Hitchcock had mentioned that Jeff Carter was the type of player who he would love to have.

Therefore, talking about players on other teams, regardless of how close it is to free agency and no matter what their contract status is (except "expired"), is pretty much verboten. Outside of vague and open-ended descriptions, there's not much that can be said. And when it relates to other things like STH gifts, that's not something a GM handles anyway, which reminds of the Star Trek nerds asking William Shatner about a continuity issue in episode HB11F0.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:10 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Skraut, honestly, those stories were great when this was new and all was good, even if it truly wasn't. It may sound callous, but I don't really care to hear about the small, tight knight communities response to a collapsed ice barn in Dorsett's hometown, or what Jake's favorite Czech movie actor is or about the time Marc Methot played little league baseball or whatever.... its time for results and the fans have overwhelmingly told the CBJ writers that they want people to be held accountable for these continued on ice failures. They are merely reporting and slanting in a direction the readers have demanded.

I don't begrudge them for doing it, even if I don't totally agree with everything they say.
It's one thing for Hunter and Arace to give opinions because that's there job. Portzline role is a beat writer but unfortunately he now feels it his role to report rumors and give his opinion.

Personally I'd rather find out about the off-season conditioning programs, the prospects that are in town, contract negotiations, Nash's back... A list of potentional UFA who will be available next week would be good too. They should leave the rumors to HFboards and Eklund.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote