HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

Pyke's Mock Draft.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-08-2011, 09:38 PM
  #1
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Pyke's Mock Draft.

Since... I was bored. After 10, it becomes kind of hazy.

-=-=-

1. Edmonton Oilers - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Red Deer (WHL)



2. Colorado Avalanche - Adam Larsson, Skelleftea (SEL)



3. Florida Panthers - Jonathan Huberdeau, Saint John (QMJHL)



*4. Ottawa Senators - Gabriel Landeskog, Kitchener (OHL)



5. New York Islanders - Dougie Hamilton, Niagara (OHL)



*6. New Jersey Devils - Mika Zibanejad, Djugarden (SEL)



7. Winnipeg _________ (Atlanta) - Sean Couturier, Drummondville (QMJHL)



8. Columbus Blue Jackets - Ryan Strome, Niagara (OHL)



9. Boston Bruins (Toronto) - Jamie Oleskiak, Northeastern (H.E.)



10. Minnesota Wild - Duncan Siemens, Saskatoon (WHL)



11. Colorado Avalanche (St. Louis) - Sven Bartschi, Portland (WHL)



12. Carolina Hurricanes - Joel Armia, Assat (SM-Liiga)



13. Calgary Flames - Nathan Beaulieu, Saint John (QMJHL)



14. Dallas Stars - J.T. Miller, USA Under-18 (USHL)



15. New York Rangers - Brandon Saad, Saginaw (OHL)


[continued]

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:38 PM
  #2
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
**16. Edmonton Oilers - Ryan Murphy, Kitchener (OHL)



17. Montreal Canadians - Rocco Grimaldi, USA Under-18 (USHL)



18. Chicago Blackhawks - Oscar Klefbom, Farjestad (SEL)



**19. Buffalo Sabres (Los Angeles -> Edmonton) - Connor Murphy, USA Under-18 (USHL)



20. Phoenix Coyotes - Nicklas Jenson, Oshawa (OHL)



21. Ottawa Senators (Nashville) - Mark McNeill, Prince Albert (WHL)



***22. Toronto Maple Leafs (Philadelphia) - Tomas Jurco, Saint John (QMJHL)



23. Pittsburgh Penguins - Matthew Puempel, Peterborough (OHL)



24. Detroit Red Wings - Victor Rask, Lesksands (SweAl)



***25. Anaheim Ducks (Phildelphia -> Toronto) - Jonas Brodin, Farjestad (SEL)



26. Washington Capitals - Mark Schiefele, Barrie (OHL)



27. Tampa Bay Lightning - David Musil, Vancouver (WHL)



28. San Jose Sharks - Ty Rattie, Portland (WHL)



29. Toronto Maple Leafs (Boston) - Zach Phillips, Saint John (QMJHL)



30. Vancouver Canucks - Joseph Morrow, Portland (WHL)


-

*: Ottawa sends the 6th, 35th and 59th picks to New Jersey for the 4th and 2011 3rd Round Pick [Ottawa trades up to grab Landeskog - who I personally dislike, but I think the organization likes]

**: Edmonton sends the 19th and 31st picks to Buffalo for the 16th and 46th picks. [Edmonton seizes the opportunity to grab one of the most skilled defensemen in the draft, who has one of the highest bust factors - and falls to 16 as a result. Buffalo, for their part, avoids drafting a d-man in the first round... only to draft a different Murphy who also plays defense. ]

***: Toronto trades 25th and a 2011 3rd Round Pick to Anaheim for the 22nd pick. [Burke succeeds in moving up and lands a skilled offensive player].


Last edited by Pyke*: 06-08-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:44 PM
  #3
Zamasu
NINGEN
 
Zamasu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Universe 10
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post

*: Ottawa sends the 6th, 35th and 59th picks to New Jersey for the 4th and 2011 3rd Round Pick [Ottawa trades up to grab Landeskog - who I personally dislike, but I think the organization likes]
Just a minor thing: I'm pretty sure NJ forfeited their 2011 3rd because of trying to circumvent the cap with Kovalchuk's contract.

Zamasu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:45 PM
  #4
R8NJ
1-5-6-12
 
R8NJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 15,855
vCash: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
Just a minor thing: I'm pretty sure NJ forfeited their 2011 3rd because of trying to circumvent the cap with Kovalchuk's contract.
We have another 3rd due to the Langenbrunner trade.

R8NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:50 PM
  #5
Devils1029
Registered User
 
Devils1029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
Just a minor thing: I'm pretty sure NJ forfeited their 2011 3rd because of trying to circumvent the cap with Kovalchuk's contract.
That's correct but NJ owns Dallas' 3rd rounder (pick#74 I think) for trade of Jamie Langenbrunner. If Dallas resigns him before the draft (not likely), that pick becomes Dallas' 2nd rounder instead.

As a NJ fan, I'm not crazy about the scenario but it's got some legs as NJ likes Mika Z and move up to 2 2nd rounders for a 3rd and moving back 2 spots makes a lot of sense. Besides, Ottawa has the picks to spare this year to make this happen.

One thing: (I thought Ott had #55 and not #59)

Devils1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:53 PM
  #6
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
That's correct but NJ owns Dallas' 3rd rounder (pick#74 I think) for trade of Jamie Langenbrunner. If Dallas resigns him before the draft (not likely), that pick becomes Dallas' 2nd rounder instead.

As a NJ fan, I'm not crazy about the scenario but it's got some legs as NJ likes Mika Z and move up to 2 2nd rounders for a 3rd and moving back 2 spots makes a lot of sense. Besides, Ottawa has the picks to spare this year to make this happen.

One thing: (I thought Ott had #55 and not #59)
Re: Ottawa pick - you might be right. I thought it was Boston's pick that we had, though, in the Chris Kelly deal. I know we have 35 (our own), 48 (Chicago's, which was the lowest of their 2nd rounders), and I thought it was B's own we got for Kelly.

It's funny, though. I personally have been opposed to Landeskog all season. I still am. I don't think his game translates at the NHL level. That said - I tried to stick as closely as I could for the top teams to what I thought they would likely do, as opposed to what I would want them to do. The result, means Landeskog to Ottawa. I also keep hearing NJ is into Mika Z - and if they believe NYI is going for a d-man and Ottawa for Landeskog, it makes sense to move back.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:58 PM
  #7
Devils1029
Registered User
 
Devils1029's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Re: Ottawa pick - you might be right. I thought it was Boston's pick that we had, though, in the Chris Kelly deal. I know we have 35 (our own), 48 (Chicago's, which was the lowest of their 2nd rounders), and I thought it was B's own we got for Kelly.

It's funny, though. I personally have been opposed to Landeskog all season. I still am. I don't think his game translates at the NHL level. That said - I tried to stick as closely as I could for the top teams to what I thought they would likely do, as opposed to what I would want them to do. The result, means Landeskog to Ottawa. I also keep hearing NJ is into Mika Z - and if they believe NYI is going for a d-man and Ottawa for Landeskog, it makes sense to move back.
Yup, you're right..it is Boston's pick. which could be 60 or 61 as I think there was also a compensatory pick in the 2nd this year.

Obviously, this Ottawa trade up with NJ only happens if Landeskog is available at #4. If Colorado take him at #2 and Larsson or Huberdeau are available at #4, then Ott doesn't do the deal and am not sure that NJ would either.

Devils1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:01 PM
  #8
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 18,105
vCash: 500
Honestly...Worse than the NHL.com mock drafts, and man that's hard to do.

I don't see any logic in a tonne of your picks.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:04 PM
  #9
HighLifeMan
Registered User
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,470
vCash: 500
Nathan Beaulieu ahead of Ryan Murphy....Not likely.

I would absolutely shocked if the flames drafted Beaulieu.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:07 PM
  #10
Hale The Villain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,887
vCash: 500
The Hockey News interviewed a bunch of scouts, GMs, hockey executives etc... and they said there was a clear top 4 prospects in the draft

Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Adam Larsson, Gabriel Landeskog and Sean Couturier

This was before the Memorial Cup so who knows if Huberdeau cracked the top 4 in scouts minds but I just can't see a possibility where Couturier falls to the 7th pick. If I am Bryan Murray and Couturier did fall I certainly wouldn't overpay to trade up 2 spots to select arguably a worse player.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:09 PM
  #11
cjdv16
Registered User
 
cjdv16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: The Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
Is that really a mock or more of a "pray to god in heaven that this happens on behalf of all Sens fans"?

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:10 PM
  #12
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
Is that really a mock or more of a "pray to god in heaven that this happens on behalf of all Sens fans"?
? I don't want either player the Senators picked in this... I dislike Landeskog (would rather have pretty much any of the players picked after him till 8th) and am not a fan of McNeill either.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:15 PM
  #13
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Honestly...Worse than the NHL.com mock drafts, and man that's hard to do.

I don't see any logic in a tonne of your picks.
The draft doesn't vary that far from the ISS Top 30 Rankings except where it seemed to make sense. Who exactly do you have a problem with? Also - as I said in the original post - beyond 10, I don't really care that much - the reality is that it's such an even field that I sincerely doubt anybody could accurately predict 15-45.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:23 PM
  #14
Jayevs
Formerly avsman
 
Jayevs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
Honestly...Worse than the NHL.com mock drafts, and man that's hard to do.

I don't see any logic in a tonne of your picks.
I agree i literally 'd

Jayevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
  #15
Jayevs
Formerly avsman
 
Jayevs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
The draft doesn't vary that far from the ISS Top 30 Rankings except where it seemed to make sense. Who exactly do you have a problem with? Also - as I said in the original post - beyond 10, I don't really care that much - the reality is that it's such an even field that I sincerely doubt anybody could accurately predict 15-45.
Oleksiak in your top 10 is the biggest one for me, Having Boston, and Colombus not taking puck moving defensemen, having montreal and calgary not taking a big forward, theres more but i feel i dont need to go on

Jayevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:39 PM
  #16
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
Oleksiak in your top 10 is the biggest one for me, Having Boston, and Colombus not taking puck moving defensemen, having montreal and calgary not taking a big forward, theres more but i feel i dont need to go on
Oleskiak is a 6'7 defenseman who can skate and move the puck. Chara is getting on in years. I think Boston jumps at the chance to take someone who could replace Chara. Boston has plenty of strong forwards in their system. While I admit this is a bit of an off the board pick - I think he is the potential steal in the first round. By contrast, I think Murphy is - at best - a Marc-Andre Bergeron type clone... besides, who better to mentor him but Chara?

Columbus could take a puck moving defenseman, but they already have two very good players in John Moore and Cody Goloubef, both of whom can move the puck. They have no top end Centers in their organization other than Ryan Johansen. Ryan Strome fills a deep organizational need for them - adding depth at C, while adding a very skilled top 6 type player. If it's not Johansen, who do they turn to next?

From the perspective of Montreal, I agree with you completely that they could use a big forward. On the other hand, they historically are willing to take smaller kids, and draft a lot of American players. From what I've read about this kid, he plays a tenacious game that doesn't speak to his small stature - and he's extremely skilled. I agree size could be an issue - but I mean, we have seen good players (Fleury, Kariya, Sullivan, Ennis, etc.) do very well despite their small stature. ISS has him ranked at 15th - I have him going 17th. I'm not sure why you think this is terrible.

As to Calgary, they need an injection of skill into that roster. Nathan Beaulieu is ranked 14th by the ISS and as the 5th North American Skater by the NHL. He's a skilled defenseman who put up 45 points in the regular season and is coming off a Memorial Cup victory with the Sea Dogs. He improves a Calgary prospect pool which is frankly embarrassing on the blueline. I agree they need big forwards - but they need EVERYTHING.

The reality of the day, is whenever you do a Mock Draft, you have to consider a lot of factors. Team needs, BPA, what team tendencies are, what are the players rated - etc. It's not like you take the ratings of players and move them across 1 to 30. It's very much an organic process. You are certainly welcome to disagree with any of the proposals on their merits, but simply responding with, "I don't see the logic. This is terrible", is not only totally unproductive but kind of pointless. This is not really directed at you, avsman, since you at least offered some of your issues for discussion, but meh.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:52 PM
  #17
Nullus Reverentia
Registered User
 
Nullus Reverentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Periphery
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 18,105
vCash: 500
I can't believe you're even taking time to defend this.

You don't want me of someone else to go into why it's awful.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 10:59 PM
  #18
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
I can't believe you're even taking time to defend this.

You don't want me of someone else to go into why it's awful.
I'm sorry. I'd much rather just make blanket statements and take no time to discuss them. I posted purely for entertainment value and because it was a relaxing way to spend a couple hours thinking about something that doesn't matter that much.

The draft I posted, which you dislike, is likely a reasonable prediction of the sequence of players. You've taken the opportunity to respond twice in this thread, and you have not once actually commented on any of the 30 picks other than to say you feel it was a poor draft.

I'm not asking you to like the proposal. I'm not even asking you to be civil. However, if you're going to take up space, could you please at least actually add something substantive to the conversation? Thanks.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:01 PM
  #19
Gobo
Stop looking Gare
 
Gobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,440
vCash: 500
Its not that bad.

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:11 PM
  #20
HanSolo
Moderator
#CheerForKesler
 
HanSolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 69,427
vCash: 68
22cd overall for the 25th and a 3rd round pick? Is there a puking smiley? We have two third rounders already. Ducks say no. And they don't pick Jurco @ 22 either. They pick Puempel and Jurco will more than likely be there @ 25. The trade makes no sense. Ducks don't pick Brodin with such a defensively sound 2012 draft coming up. They don't pick Klefbom, Mayfield, Russo...the only dmen they'd pick are Oleksiak, Murphy, Beaulieau, Siemens. Ducks team needs in the draft are C>G>W>D. Our defensive crop is looking fine, and our top 6 in the NHL is gonna be pretty constant for the next few years. We're gonna be looking for the most dynamic scorer available. So, with your draft I'd say they take either Sheifele or Puempel as there's no way they're gonna go for a third rounder to drop down.

HanSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:15 PM
  #21
ummerr
Registered User
 
ummerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
I can't believe you're even taking time to defend this.

You don't want me of someone else to go into why it's awful.
I would like you to go into it. As of right now, you're just complaining, but not offering alternatives. I don't necessarily agree with the OP's mock draft, but at least he's defending his picks in a calm, rational manner. On the other hand, you're just derailing the thread instead of offering constructive criticism.

ummerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:19 PM
  #22
Coco the Monkey*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafyDuck View Post
22cd overall for the 25th and a 3rd round pick? Is there a puking smiley? We have two third rounders already. Ducks say no. And they don't pick Jurco @ 22 either. They pick Puempel and Jurco will more than likely be there @ 25. The trade makes no sense. Ducks don't pick Brodin with such a defensively sound 2012 draft coming up. They don't pick Klefbom, Mayfield, Russo...the only dmen they'd pick are Oleksiak, Murphy, Beaulieau, Siemens. Ducks team needs in the draft are C>G>W>D. Our defensive crop is looking fine, and our top 6 in the NHL is gonna be pretty constant for the next few years. We're gonna be looking for the most dynamic scorer available. So, with your draft I'd say they take either Sheifele or Puempel as there's no way they're gonna go for a third rounder to drop down.
You're acting like 3 spots is a big deal, it's not. If the Ducks could get their guy(s) at 25 then they do that deal.

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:19 PM
  #23
Coco the Monkey*
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 500
I don't see the problem with his mock.

The real NHL draft is always different and crazier than "good" mock drafts.

Coco the Monkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:21 PM
  #24
jukon
NHL Point Leader
 
jukon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,866
vCash: 500
There is literally no way Edmonton will draft Ryan Murphy.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:32 PM
  #25
CerebralGenesis
Registered User
 
CerebralGenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 24,425
vCash: 500
Meh who knows how the real draft will play out

Hard to anticipate trades during the draft though. I definitely don't include that in mine

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.