HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Drury bought out

Old
06-09-2011, 04:14 PM
zbubble

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
The guy is not a selfish person at all, he's not going to be an ******* over money.
Except he walked away from a handshake deal with the Sabres to sign for more money with the Rangers. Yeah I know its more complicated than that but still the result doesn't fit the image he's given around here.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:17 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
The guy is not a selfish person at all, he's not going to be an ******* over money. Nobody is going to give him that much money considering how much he has dropped off. If you think Europe is actually a possibility, you're insane. Watching interviews at the end of the season, he knows what type of player he has become and even though he was hoping he wouldn't get bought out, he said he would understand why if it happened. Is it really a massive pay cut if he get paid 1.5 million? That's still over 5 million dollars for a guy who is a 4th liner at this point in his career and more than he was making before he went to the Rangers.
He's not selfish? You know him personally?

And considering he was paid cash $8M this past season, yes, taking a $1.5M contract is a massive pay cut.

I don't claim to know anything, I just can't see Drury accepting a $1.5M deal anywhere. Even with the season he just had someone will pay him more than that.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:22 PM
sabresfan123*

What is Regier's take?

Someone will offer him more elsewhere....probably get 3m from the laughs

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1664
The buyout period runs from June 15-30. Drury could be a Sabre as soon as next Wed.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Sabreality

thats ship has sailed..i do not want.

i'd rather have Reasoner or Belanger.

Sabreality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Good luck with that.

I'm sorry but after seeing most of the players on this team be injured right around the time playoffs roll around the past few years I'd rather not sign another liability. No matter the contract and no matter his role on the team.

If you want to sign Drury to a 1.5 Million contract you better sign someone else to a contract too to play when Drury can't go.
At least it's not $4.5M to watch Tinky get hurt again...and again...and again. For a possible depth guy, if he passes a physical, he's a 4th line option the same way Nieds was.

06-09-2011, 04:57 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Hes better than Hecht. Why not have Drury as a 3RD LINE center? Who cares??! It's not like we're asking him to be a 2nd line center. Its a low role 3rd line center. Who knows maybe he'd be rejuvenated and come back with some passion? I have no idea, but its better then having Gaustad in a role he can't handle and I'm sick of Jochen hecht.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Hes better than Hecht. Why not have Drury as a 3RD LINE center? Who cares??! It's not like we're asking him to be a 2nd line center. Its a low role 3rd line center. Who knows maybe he'd be rejuvenated and come back with some passion? I have no idea, but its better then having Gaustad in a role he can't handle and I'm sick of Jochen hecht.
I disagree about Jochen and Gaustad.

Right now, if you sign him, you have to consider him a 4C. Until he shows otherwise.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:02 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
At least it's not $4.5M to watch Tinky get hurt again...and again...and again. For a possible depth guy, if he passes a physical, he's a 4th line option the same way Nieds was.
Id even consider putting him on a wing with gerbe and goose on the 3rd line.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:04 PM
BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
He's not selfish? You know him personally?

And considering he was paid cash $8M this past season, yes, taking a $1.5M contract is a massive pay cut.

I don't claim to know anything, I just can't see Drury accepting a $1.5M deal anywhere. Even with the season he just had someone will pay him more than that.
Who and why? I doubt teams will be beating down the door of a soon-to-be 35-year-old bottom six forward coming off a 24-game, five-point, injury-plagued season. Drury's going to have to take a massive pay cut if he wants to keep playing in the league.

BCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Husko

Quote:
No, just no.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Being sick of Hecht doesn't change how good his Corsi was. Shots flow toward the opponents net rather than toward the Sabres' end with him out there, regardless of what we might think about him. Considering he seriously outpaced Drury this year and last... it's pretty thin stuff to think Drury today is a better player than either of Gaustad or Hecht.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
I disagree about Jochen and Gaustad.

Right now, if you sign him, you have to consider him a 4C. Until he shows otherwise.
Yep. $1.25M for a vet who can win faceoffs, play the PK, block some shots and maybe chip in the odd moment offensively while being a good vet in the 'room seems about right. And that's a 4th line depth player.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Blitz
GONNA TAKE ReinHART

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor View Post
To be fair, 32 points is a heck of a lot more than Drury was able to put up last season. But in general I would agree Drury needs to get the heck out of NY to find success, if he has any in his future.
Agreed. Look at the guys NY has signed in the last couple years...

Wade Redden - Franchise offensive D-man in OTT, cant seem to complete a pass in NY a year later. seemed legit, got a fat paycheque, failed to thrive.

Michal Rozsival - similar to Redden, seemed like a 1st/2nd pairing guy - fell flat on his face.

Chris Drury - Coming off a fantastic tenure in Buffalo - suddenly craps out in New York... Seems odd

Wojtek Wolski - Seems far less effective on Broadway then he ever has anywhere else (COL/PHX), almost looks lost. NYR have discussed buying him out similar to CD.

Marian Gaborik - While still a very good winger in NY, he was a phenominal winger in MIN... not that much time has ticked off his clock in between the two.

Either Madison Square Gardens is the gateway to some portal which tacks 5 years onto every player that walks through the door, or there is something seriously wrong with the team/Slats/Torts...

IMO give Drury another shot, 1yr/$2M - lets see what he still has in the tank!

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Rozsival did not fail. His salary was high-ish but he's still a viable first-pairing RD who can move the puck.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:18 PM
SuperNintendoChalmrs

Tell him to go suit up for Connecticut little league.

SuperNintendoChalmrs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:28 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
No, just no.
Why no????? Hecht is awful.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Not really.

Always reliable for 20-20-40. Solid PKer. Does dirty work on the boards, solid with puck control. Great forechecker.

Every good team in the NHL has a Hecht-type on the team. Just kind of does everything well, but not flashy.

Why do you think he sucks?

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Moskau

Quote:
We beat Philly with a healthy Hecht.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:42 PM
BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Not really.

Always reliable for 20-20-40. Solid PKer. Does dirty work on the boards, solid with puck control. Great forechecker.

Every good team in the NHL has a Hecht-type on the team. Just kind of does everything well, but not flashy.

Why do you think he sucks?
When healthy and on his game, Hecht is a fantastic player to have. However, he hasn't been himself two of the last three seasons (2008-09, '10-11), and has also missed 12 of Buffalo's past 13 playoff games because of injuries.

I do think Hecht will bounce back next season, but it's understandable why some Sabres fans are fed up.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabathia View Post
but it's understandable why some Sabres fans are fed up.

Being fed up with his injuries is one thing.

Flat-out saying "he sucks" is quite another.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:44 PM
sabresfan129103

How the hell does Sather still have a job?

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:45 PM
BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
Being fed up with his injuries is one thing.

Flat-out saying "he sucks" is quite another.
I agree.

Old
06-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Stone87

Halpern and Belanger made under 1 million last year and those are the guys he is comparable to at this stage of his career. I'm fine with him coming back if it's for a reasonable contract. He would make a better third line center than either Hecht or Gaustad IMO.

Stone87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:51 PM
Husko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabathia View Post
When healthy and on his game, Hecht is a fantastic player to have. However, he hasn't been himself two of the last three seasons (2008-09, '10-11), and has also missed 12 of Buffalo's past 13 playoff games because of injuries.

I do think Hecht will bounce back next season, but it's understandable why some Sabres fans are fed up.
Yeah, he was just our first line center while we drove back up the standings and into the playoffs. nbd.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 05:54 PM
SoFFacet

Quote:
Quote:
Totally wrong. Hecht is a good player, and has played good for us the last couple years when actually healthy. The only thing you can complain about is that he's injured come playoff time. But he has been really solid for us when in the lineup.

Both Hecht and Goose would be much better options than Drury as 3C, though ideally it is actually Luke Adam who seizes that role during camp this fall.

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote