HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Carson re-signs for two more years

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-10-2011, 01:16 AM
  #26
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artysmith View Post
Possibly to move Sarich and one of our 2nds to acquire another first?
I can see maybe the Ducks, Capitals or Lightning.

In all cases, we'd probably have to take back Sutton, Erskine/Schultz, or Clark respectively.
Definitely could see that being fair. Possibly, maybe.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:54 AM
  #27
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
I would much rather have Babchuk over Brodie..
Me too.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:36 AM
  #28
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,920
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Me too.
Brodie on ELC >> Babchuck 2M+

I will take Brodie's mobility and hockey sense over Babchuk's shot anyday.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:39 AM
  #29
Flames 1st pick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Brodie on ELC >> Babchuck 2M+

I will take Brodie's mobility and hockey sense over Babchuk's shot anyday.
yes, he also makes Ian Whites looks like Scott Stevens.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:42 AM
  #30
saillias
Registered User
 
saillias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,939
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
yes, he also makes Ian Whites looks like Scott Stevens.
We haven't seen him play since what, last October though? He has a long summer to put on some strength. He has a height advantage on White.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:08 AM
  #31
King In The North
Sean Bennett
 
King In The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,403
vCash: 500
Not to mention he has played under Playfair..the coach who also greatly improved the defensive game of Backlund, Nemisz and Bouma.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
  #32
The Gnome
Registered User
 
The Gnome's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
We haven't seen him play since what, last October though? He has a long summer to put on some strength. He has a height advantage on White.
I agree. A kid of his age can change a ton in one year with the proper conditioning. DFF, why not wait and see before you piss all over our most promising prospect.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:30 AM
  #33
Northern Neighbour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,680
vCash: 500
I don't think Sarich has much value right now. His value may go up in the trade market as the season gets closer and definitely near the trade deadline.

Anyhow, signing Carson appears to be more of a replacement for Staios than Sarich.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:56 AM
  #34
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,888
vCash: 50
I was probably the biggest supporter of Brodie last year, and got ragged on by many for wanting him to stay up. I'm still really high on him and have high hopes. IMO, Brodie's biggest obstacle will be mental and not the physical side of the game. If he approaches the game like a man and prepares for the game like a true professional I think he will be on the big club next season.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:24 PM
  #35
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,920
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
yes, he also makes Ian Whites looks like Scott Stevens.
And you came to this conclusion in his first three games?

He wasn't terrible, but clearly not ready at the time.'

Babchuck's no defensive specialist either...

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:11 PM
  #36
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,025
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
And you came to this conclusion in his first three games?

He wasn't terrible, but clearly not ready at the time.'

Babchuck's no defensive specialist either...
Babchuk had excellent stick work and position to back up his size, even if he chose not to use it physically. I'm going to miss him.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:15 PM
  #37
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,888
vCash: 50
Sarich is much better defensively than Babs, but both are assets to the team for different reasons. An idea would be to trade Sarich for draft picks to free up cap space, and then to use that cap money to resign Babchuk. That is good asset management. However we would lose Sarich's defensive abilities.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:20 PM
  #38
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,025
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Sarich is much better defensively than Babs, but both are assets to the team for different reasons. An idea would be to trade Sarich for draft picks to free up cap space, and then to use that cap money to resign Babchuk. That is good asset management. However we would lose Sarich's defensive abilities.
I think management is content to allow Brodie to try and take Babchuk's spot. Carson is a nice mix between Sarich and Brodie. Doesn't shy away from the defensive play and has some nice passing skills.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:29 PM
  #39
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Brodie on ELC >> Babchuck 2M+

I will take Brodie's mobility and hockey sense over Babchuk's shot anyday.
Honestly, I'd rather have both in the lineup - providing of course, that Brodie is good enough to make the NHL - with Carson or Pardy as the 7th.

The fact is, the Flames didn't get nearly enough offense out of their defense last year and that needs to change if the team wants to do better this year. Regehr and Sarich aren't expected to put up points and Bouwmeester conveniently left that part of his game in Florida. Having Giordano, Babchuk and Brodie in the lineup would, in theory at least, provide a better balance than having 4 stay at home defensemen and just two puck movers.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 05:08 PM
  #40
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,920
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
Honestly, I'd rather have both in the lineup - providing of course, that Brodie is good enough to make the NHL - with Carson or Pardy as the 7th.

The fact is, the Flames didn't get nearly enough offense out of their defense last year and that needs to change if the team wants to do better this year. Regehr and Sarich aren't expected to put up points and Bouwmeester conveniently left that part of his game in Florida. Having Giordano, Babchuk and Brodie in the lineup would, in theory at least, provide a better balance than having 4 stay at home defensemen and just two puck movers.
We do not need to improve the overall offense.... Our defensive structure was what kept us out of the playoffs, plain and simple.

First and foremost we have to get better defensively as a whole.

Bouwmeester - Regehr
Giordano - Carson
Brodie - Sarich

Is a well rounded unit that I would personally love to see.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 05:50 PM
  #41
Some Other Flame
Registered User
 
Some Other Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
We do not need to improve the overall offense.... Our defensive structure was what kept us out of the playoffs, plain and simple.

First and foremost we have to get better defensively as a whole.

Bouwmeester - Regehr
Giordano - Carson
Brodie - Sarich

Is a well rounded unit that I would personally love to see.
If you're trying to say that the offense is fine and it's the defense that's the only concern, you're going to end up looking exactly like Darryl did at the end of the 09 season.

The Flames didn't jump 21 spots in goals per game because they added Babchuk and Tanguay to the 09/10 team. It's weird how many people don't seem to see the similarities in styles of play between Keenan's last season the the last half of the 10/11 season.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 06:36 PM
  #42
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
If you're trying to say that the offense is fine and it's the defense that's the only concern, you're going to end up looking exactly like Darryl did at the end of the 09 season.

The Flames didn't jump 21 spots in goals per game because they added Babchuk and Tanguay to the 09/10 team. It's weird how many people don't seem to see the similarities in styles of play between Keenan's last season the the last half of the 10/11 season.
I would definitely think having Tanguay helped get Iginla back to elite production. That alone counts for some. Not to mention the eventual consistency of Jokinen was another factor.

A common theme for the entire 10/11 would be the Flames falling behind early, or giving up the first goal(s).
The hot streak was a change in the response as to how the team reacted after falling behind, but playing from behind nonetheless.

You prevent those early goals and that changes the flow and complexion of the game entirely.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:22 PM
  #43
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,920
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Other Flame View Post
If you're trying to say that the offense is fine and it's the defense that's the only concern, you're going to end up looking exactly like Darryl did at the end of the 09 season.

The Flames didn't jump 21 spots in goals per game because they added Babchuk and Tanguay to the 09/10 team. It's weird how many people don't seem to see the similarities in styles of play between Keenan's last season the the last half of the 10/11 season.
09/10 -
Jarome Iginla = 32 Goals

10/11 -
Jarome Iginla = 43 Goals
Alex Tanguay = 22 Goals
Total = 65 Goals

33 Goal increase between those two alone.

Team Statistics :

09/10 - 201 GF
10/11 - 241 GF

40 Goal Increase.


Last edited by HighLifeMan: 06-10-2011 at 10:27 PM.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:31 PM
  #44
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Formerly MVW
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,888
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
09/10 -
Jarome Iginla = 32 Goals

10/11 -
Jarome Iginla = 43 Goals
Alex Tanguay = 22 Goals
Total = 65 Goals

33 Goal increase between those two alone.

Team Statistics :

09/10 - 201 GF
10/11 - 241 GF

40 Goal Increase.
And what did Babchuk get when he was here, 7 goals? Tangs and Babs were big reasons for the turn around in the offence. If Moss, Glencross and Jokinen can duplicate last seasons totals we should be ok. And if Bourque doesn't disappear for 2 months we may even improve.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 01:29 PM
  #45
GototheFlamestotheGo
Registered User
 
GototheFlamestotheGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Personally, if we could unload Sarich's contract and sign Babs as well, that would be excellent. Babs was instrumental to our PP and he brings a hard, right-handed shot, which is something that was missing. Not to mention, he was also decent defensively and had an active stick. And we could probably sign Babs for less that Sarich's contract.

Regehr-JBo
Gio-Babchuk
Brodie-Carson

I honestly like that D quite a bit as it has the strength of mobility. In fact, the only person on that D-core who isn't a strong puck mover is Reggie and he makes up for it by solid defensive play.

GototheFlamestotheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:20 PM
  #46
Xelstyle
Registered User
 
Xelstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chair and a Desk
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,530
vCash: 500
I'm just wondering if anybody has seen an article of any sort comparing all the stats before the Sutter-firing to after.

From GF, GA, PP%, etc. etc.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 06:36 AM
  #47
Flames 1st pick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
And you came to this conclusion in his first three games?

He wasn't terrible, but clearly not ready at the time.'

Babchuck's no defensive specialist either...
exactly...it will take a few years for him to be ready. Right now his defensive game is not even AHL level and his offense is not enough at NHL level.

I'd take Babchuk right now easy.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:22 PM
  #48
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,920
vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
exactly...it will take a few years for him to be ready. Right now his defensive game is not even AHL level and his offense is not enough at NHL level.

I'd take Babchuk right now easy.
I am not going to waste my time....

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:12 PM
  #49
WhereIsIt
#gift
 
WhereIsIt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,833
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
exactly...it will take a few years for him to be ready. Right now his defensive game is not even AHL level and his offense is not enough at NHL level.

I'd take Babchuk right now easy.
He's an AHL all-star buddy. Playfair has said that Brodie's defensive game improved throughout the season, and you're still stuck judging him based on 3 games in October. I wonder who's opinion I'm going to take seriously!

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:19 PM
  #50
BenThatcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotalik Fanboy View Post
He's an AHL all-star buddy. Playfair has said that Brodie's defensive game improved throughout the season, and you're still stuck judging him based on 3 games in October. I wonder who's opinion I'm going to take seriously!
AHL all-star? Means nothing. I was an all star in my co-ed soccer league, doesn't make me a pro soccer player. The AHL isn't even the second best league in the world.

BenThatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.